Toilet Talk

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Was just thinking about this the other day. Mostly in re how many rolls to tp we replace in a day. And how, if I went to the 250 sheet, puffy rolls of tp, the guests would need 3 backup rolls in the bathroom. And how they would end up clogging the toilets more frequently than they do..
Even though we have our septic tank pumped every year, I would never take the chance on using double ply, fluffy TP. Maybe here in NE we just get guests who are "full of it" if you get my drift. But we would be clogged up by July if we offered a higher volume tp. We buy Sco tt's single ply, wrapped and sold in bulk by B J.
Wrapped, spare roll is placed on toilet tank in a charming Nantucket Basket. http://www.2incbxgt.com (Reproduction of course since authentic baskets run 100's of $$$)

Okay, this is a toilet seat and plunger for all those Star Wars fans. Anyone putting one of these in?
h8DE8E640

We've decided that if we need to replace any toilets it will be with the taller units. I just can't justify the cost/land fill of pulling up perfectly fine shorter ones if they're still in good condition.
We buy the costco brand tp which is very plush and they have gone to a bigger roll. I swear those bigger rolls don't last any longer than the old ones. My complaint is that they are so big, they fill up the entire tp dispenser area and we can't fit our old cosy's over the spare roll. Now they're naked on top of the toilet tank..
Breakfast Diva said:
We've decided that if we need to replace any toilets it will be with the taller units. I just can't justify the cost/land fill of pulling up perfectly fine shorter ones if they're still in good condition.
We buy the costco brand tp which is very plush and they have gone to a bigger roll. I swear those bigger rolls don't last any longer than the old ones. My complaint is that they are so big, they fill up the entire tp dispenser area and we can't fit our old cosy's over the spare roll. Now they're naked on top of the toilet tank.
Okay this is just going to get weird, but okay...so we had a guest break a shower head (holder) so the piece which is plastic broke, but of course, it will.
Raced off to Lowe's last night, and walked past a toilet and we both stopped and said "oooooh" I think people may have thought we were mad! It had the no slam lid, so we stood there and opened and then it fall slowlyyyyy...so slowlyyyyy over and over again. We were in love!
Meanwhile, we had to buy a whole new shower head, which took 10 minutes od debate to get the right one, and win, ahem, I mean choose one...of course, as you can imagine.
I didn't just look at them, I purchased! I prefer the painted wood ones but for the B&B I actually buy the plastic ones. We had trouble with the evenness of the paint on the regular wood ones. Either they would get stained from well... missed target or they would discolour from cleaning the missed targets. The plastic ones (and these aren't cheap plastic, these are damn expensive and very very solid ones) are coloured through and through and last much longer. Some people thought that I was crazy, buying new seats annually because of the discolouration.
We get new seats, too. I had to go to wood because the plastic ones I can get here are so flimsy you can't put the lid down and sit on it without the whole thing caving in and then sliding all over because it has come loose.
But we go thru and really give them the once over and replace them as you do- when they start looking stained or we've scrubbed the paint off. We have spares in boxes in the basement.
I think this is the one I bought. http://www.homedepot.ca/product/nextstep-round-toilet-seat-with-whisper-close-with-easy-clean-change-hinges/981501
It was sold as staying tightly in place, has the latches to remove for cleaning and whisper close all in heavy plastic. And it's a dream! A dream!
Eric Arthur Blair said:
I think this is the one I bought. http://www.homedepot.ca/product/nextstep-round-toilet-seat-with-whisper-close-with-easy-clean-change-hinges/981501
It was sold as staying tightly in place, has the latches to remove for cleaning and whisper close all in heavy plastic. And it's a dream! A dream!
That's the same one we use!
Breakfast Diva said:
Eric Arthur Blair said:
Dang, now Canada has access to our whisper close toilet seat technology!
But I guess it all comes from China anyway. Sigh.
Actually, made in the USA! Actually, I gave the wrong model. The one I have is hard molded plastic. Best toilet seat EVER!
Total sidetrack, as if that were possible on THIS thread...
Eric you mentioned the family background/heritage in textiles, I wanted to share this with you: This new textile trail opened last week. Dan River, Martinsville, this whole area was huge in linens which is why Fieldale is here, Marshal Fields, etc. This trail goes through Fieldale...
I know you are a city slicker, but come on out to rural Virginia (can I get a yee-haa) and Southside Virginia to check this out (you know where I am, welcome any time). :)

We buy the costco brand tp which is very plush and they have gone to a bigger roll. I swear those bigger rolls don't last any longer than the old ones. My complaint is that they are so big, they fill up the entire tp dispenser area and we can't fit our old cosy's over the spare roll. Now they're naked on top of the toilet tank..
Breakfast Diva said:
We buy the costco brand tp which is very plush and they have gone to a bigger roll. I swear those bigger rolls don't last any longer than the old ones. My complaint is that they are so big, they fill up the entire tp dispenser area and we can't fit our old cosy's over the spare roll. Now they're naked on top of the toilet tank.
Okay this is just going to get weird, but okay...so we had a guest break a shower head (holder) so the piece which is plastic broke, but of course, it will.
Raced off to Lowe's last night, and walked past a toilet and we both stopped and said "oooooh" I think people may have thought we were mad! It had the no slam lid, so we stood there and opened and then it fall slowlyyyyy...so slowlyyyyy over and over again. We were in love!
Meanwhile, we had to buy a whole new shower head, which took 10 minutes od debate to get the right one, and win, ahem, I mean choose one...of course, as you can imagine.
I didn't just look at them, I purchased! I prefer the painted wood ones but for the B&B I actually buy the plastic ones. We had trouble with the evenness of the paint on the regular wood ones. Either they would get stained from well... missed target or they would discolour from cleaning the missed targets. The plastic ones (and these aren't cheap plastic, these are damn expensive and very very solid ones) are coloured through and through and last much longer. Some people thought that I was crazy, buying new seats annually because of the discolouration.
We get new seats, too. I had to go to wood because the plastic ones I can get here are so flimsy you can't put the lid down and sit on it without the whole thing caving in and then sliding all over because it has come loose.
But we go thru and really give them the once over and replace them as you do- when they start looking stained or we've scrubbed the paint off. We have spares in boxes in the basement.
Eric Arthur Blair said:
Breakfast Diva said:
Eric Arthur Blair said:
Actually, made in the USA! Actually, I gave the wrong model. The one I have is hard molded plastic. Best toilet seat EVER!
Eric you mentioned the family background/heritage in textiles, I wanted to share this with you: This new textile trail opened last week. Dan River, Martinsville, this whole area was huge in linens which is why Fieldale is here, Marshal Fields, etc. This trail goes through Fieldale...
I know you are a city slicker, but come on out to rural Virginia (can I get a yee-haa) and Southside Virginia to check this out (you know where I am, welcome any time). :)
Tell me when they start making bed sheets again :) That's what I really want, well made quality woven bedsheets with elastic on the sides but not at the top or bottom.
Our next vacation is already planned, we are going Trans-Atlantic again but this time from Fort Lauderdale to London. The trail looks interesting, but we don't really get to even think of vacation after this until late October or early November. Busy season is coming. But I'll keep it on a list for the future.
And I might have someone else make the reservation to throw you off, so I can be anonymous :)

Since I'm promoting as "upscale" or "high-end" the two vacation rental apartments I'm putting in downtown (opening in May I pray) I've ordered two of these. Expensive, but a drop in the bucket compared to the overall cost of the project, and I really think it could be something that wows people enough to tell others about their visit. We'll see how it turns out.
I'll probably mount the remote control, with instructions, on the wall so it doesn't develop legs and get lost. People will have time to read the instructions before they use the thing.

Breakfast Diva said:
Eric Arthur Blair said:
Breakfast Diva said:
Eric Arthur Blair said:
Tell me when they start making bed sheets again :) That's what I really want, well made quality woven bedsheets with elastic on the sides but not at the top or bottom.
Our next vacation is already planned, we are going Trans-Atlantic again but this time from Fort Lauderdale to London. The trail looks interesting, but we don't really get to even think of vacation after this until late October or early November. Busy season is coming. But I'll keep it on a list for the future.
And I might have someone else make the reservation to throw you off, so I can be anonymous :)
Eric Arthur Blair said:
Yeah I know what you look like from G+, sorry, nice try tho.
shades_smile.gif

Since I'm promoting as "upscale" or "high-end" the two vacation rental apartments I'm putting in downtown (opening in May I pray) I've ordered two of these. Expensive, but a drop in the bucket compared to the overall cost of the project, and I really think it could be something that wows people enough to tell others about their visit. We'll see how it turns out.
I'll probably mount the remote control, with instructions, on the wall so it doesn't develop legs and get lost. People will have time to read the instructions before they use the thing..
Arkansawyer said:
I've ordered two of these. Expensive, but a drop in the bucket
oh how punny you are!

Was just thinking about this the other day. Mostly in re how many rolls to tp we replace in a day. And how, if I went to the 250 sheet, puffy rolls of tp, the guests would need 3 backup rolls in the bathroom. And how they would end up clogging the toilets more frequently than they do..
Even though we have our septic tank pumped every year, I would never take the chance on using double ply, fluffy TP. Maybe here in NE we just get guests who are "full of it" if you get my drift. But we would be clogged up by July if we offered a higher volume tp. We buy Sco tt's single ply, wrapped and sold in bulk by B J.
Wrapped, spare roll is placed on toilet tank in a charming Nantucket Basket. http://www.2incbxgt.com (Reproduction of course since authentic baskets run 100's of $$$)
Silverspoon said:
We are on septic also and 3 of the most used toilets go into the smallest tank (we have 4 tanks and a sand filter) and we don't have a problem using the double ply. Yes, we get the guests who somehow use an amazing amount of tp. If I ever go to a place with 1 ply, what do I do? I use at least 2x the amount I would normally, because 1 ply is nasty stuff. I really don't think you're using less because of 1 ply.
devil_smile.gif

I'll probably mount the remote control, with instructions, on the wall so it doesn't develop legs and get lost. People will have time to read the instructions before they use the thing..
An innkeeper friend installed this installed in her upscale suite. I don't know what it costs, but it's in the thousands! I remember using one of the fancy ones in Japan years ago. No directions and I couldn't figure out how to just flush it. Took a shower instead...with my clothes on.
embaressed_smile.gif

An innkeeper friend installed this installed in her upscale suite. I don't know what it costs, but it's in the thousands! I remember using one of the fancy ones in Japan years ago. No directions and I couldn't figure out how to just flush it. Took a shower instead...with my clothes on.
embaressed_smile.gif

Yep I have several innkeeper friends who have these in their rooms. I never bothered trying out the features. I just went and left :)

Silverspoon said:
We are on septic also and 3 of the most used toilets go into the smallest tank (we have 4 tanks and a sand filter) and we don't have a problem using the double ply. Yes, we get the guests who somehow use an amazing amount of tp. If I ever go to a place with 1 ply, what do I do? I use at least 2x the amount I would normally, because 1 ply is nasty stuff. I really don't think you're using less because of 1 ply.
devil_smile.gif

If I ever go to a place with 1 ply, what do I do? I use at least 2x the amount I would normally, because 1 ply is nasty stuff. I really don't think you're using less because of 1 ply.

Bingo!!!

embaressed_smile.gif

It really is one of those things you have to learn as a kid. It's not something you can ask as an adult. We had a bidet in our room in Ireland and I ended up shooting a jet of water across the bathroom. It just was not an easy contrivance to use! But I was game to try it out.
However, I'll bet there's a video on YouTube!
And it's also why there are so many bathroom signs that show up on lists of 'oddest signs seen around the world'. You just can't ask this stuff as an adult!

embaressed_smile.gif

It really is one of those things you have to learn as a kid. It's not something you can ask as an adult. We had a bidet in our room in Ireland and I ended up shooting a jet of water across the bathroom. It just was not an easy contrivance to use! But I was game to try it out.
And it's also why there are so many bathroom signs that show up on lists of 'oddest signs seen around the world'. You just can't ask this stuff as an adult!
Madeleine said:
Thank you. I would not have a clue. Outhouses do not come equipped with plumbing - oh wait, that is why you HAVE an outhouse. No plumbing!

I've saw these signs in several places when I traveled to Asia because their normal toilets are just a hole in the floor you squat over, so they don't know how to use a western toilet, and tend to try to climb up on the rim and squat, or sit on it facing the back of the toilet.
toilet-riding.jpg

ive been supervising my building work so havn't been on much - but as part of it 4 sockets over the desk/dressing table - to be fair it was DH's point sat down after we started the project and said when you have plugged in the tea tray and the lamp thats all the sockets used! quickly got the electrician to put in another 2! plus even those there were a few from how the room was before in slightly odd places ive left them as I know what people are like with appliances.
Have also realised when you sit on the toilet you can be seen by everyone in the conference center opposite so have had to order new obscure glass! I'll put on some fablon in the mean time and there is also a blind! everything else looks amazing mind!

Oh My, that would really tickle my fancy. Will have to look into getting one for my own bathroom!

Back