Trying to change

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We do 18 for breakfast so I don't short order and I never tell them what's for breakfast, my husband tells them he has no idea to stop the "I don't like this" problem. I do accommodate dietary restrictions as needed but limit what I'll do for them. I have gluten free bread always so they get the same french toast. If they say that they don't like cheese and I'm doing a frittata or quiche with it, then they get scrambled eggs. No dairy, same thing, scrambled eggs. Keep it simple and I no longer fret that they aren't getting the same thing, they're happy to get something that suits them at all.
I remember on PAII a few years ago a CA bed and breakfast that did a menu - the Bradford Place Inn -- I believe she printed these up on little sheets and gave them to guests at checkin. The website gives an idea of what they do, perhaps this would work for you. I don't know how many people you serve each morning, but I can barely deal with the few restrictions and do a great job without having to prepare three different dishes each morning. Don't forget - some will of course cross out things on your menu that they don't want either so you'll probably still be dealing with changes. Good luck..
Like you, we have what we think is a pretty decent line up of breakfast ideas. This morning I mentioned to one table that we were thinking of going all gf and all non dairy because of Dr Oz.
There was a huge gasp from everyone who had just really enjoyed the full gluten, full dairy dish that several people said they couldn't eat.
I said, "but we decided, no, that doesn't work for us!"
Tomorrow is another full gluten, full dairy day with lots of whipped cream and biscuits.
Good for you, do what you like and if the guests don't want to eat it, then they can choose not to. I was surprised a couple weeks back that people were listing all of the yummy things I served this week as stuff they've long ago dropped because of guests -- french toast (not stuffed so I don't worry about dairy), pancakes (just did blueberry ones this morning), tomorrow we're having caramelized onion and provolone cheese quiche (to die for guest favorite), etc.
One guest who doesn't eat eggs. He's getting a toasted bagel with a slice of ham and cheese - what he typically eats at home.
I just explained, in Italian, what we're having for breakfast tomorrow. "Oh, we don't eat eggs for breakfast." Bang head on wall.
I know Italians like sweets but I didn't know they were real Italians until they got here.
Stop worrying about everyone individually. People are adaptable. You likely have muffins, bread and cereal on the table already. They will eat. No one will starve. So, they don't have eggs. It's eat the main if you want, otherwise enjoy the damn continental!
I think you are overthinking this. Honestly, here is what I suggest.
1. GF Muffins - make ahead, freeze batter in cupcake paper, ready to bake fresh anytime.
2. GF Frozen Waffles (Van's) - pop in toaster, done. GF, Nut Free, Dairy Free, Egg Free, Taste Free, Nutrition Free. Artificial Blueberry! Sprinkle icing sugar, drop a few fruits on it or some jam, add some syrup and you are DONE!
3. Buckwheat crepes - Make a stack, fill with fruit, roll blintz style, freeze in wax paper so you can still pull them individually. Defrost in microwave and fry when you need a GF. Mix is 3/4 buckwheat and 1/4 tapioca for elasticity. You can use pie filling if you want, just make sure to add some lemon to cut the sweetness or adulterate, for example adding gingerbread spices to apple, lime to cherry, vanilla to blueberry, etc. If you really want to go wild... ricotta, lemon zest, honey and vanilla is also a good filling.
4. Oatmeal - Either instant (what they deserve) or make ahead and freeze in individual portions, defrost in microwave if needed. Drop some berries on top, done!
If you are having real Celiacs, consider getting a cheap disposible toaster. You know the $10 job at the store, mark it as GF Celiac and use that for the toaster waffles.
Stop worrying about each person. It's their choice that they are on a crazy diet. Let them smell the good stuff and make due. It's their damn choice! Just have bread, butter and jam around.
Stop worrying about each person. It's their choice that they are on a crazy diet. Let them smell the good stuff and make due. It's their damn choice! Just have bread, butter and jam around.
My thoughts exactly. With the number of guests Maddie is feeding that is how it should be. Why do we think WE MUST cater to every whim and desire the guests come up with. I am so small that it is not that big a deal as I rarely have a "full-house" anyway. Remember I am in Podunk! For those of you with many rooms - no way!
gillumhouse said:
My thoughts too.
devil_smile.gif
I see this on your website: "For guests who wish to reserve all of our guest rooms for a family vacation, wedding or other group event, we plan a yummy cold buffet for each morning of your stay.
This can include an assortment of bagels and cream cheese, fresh-baked muffins or breads, yogurt, granola and fresh fruit along with juices, coffee and tea."
If you can to this for a group, why can't you just do this for breakfast daily. Maybe add in an egg dish and be done with it. Will make it so much easier on you I think.

We do 18 for breakfast so I don't short order and I never tell them what's for breakfast, my husband tells them he has no idea to stop the "I don't like this" problem. I do accommodate dietary restrictions as needed but limit what I'll do for them. I have gluten free bread always so they get the same french toast. If they say that they don't like cheese and I'm doing a frittata or quiche with it, then they get scrambled eggs. No dairy, same thing, scrambled eggs. Keep it simple and I no longer fret that they aren't getting the same thing, they're happy to get something that suits them at all.
I remember on PAII a few years ago a CA bed and breakfast that did a menu - the Bradford Place Inn -- I believe she printed these up on little sheets and gave them to guests at checkin. The website gives an idea of what they do, perhaps this would work for you. I don't know how many people you serve each morning, but I can barely deal with the few restrictions and do a great job without having to prepare three different dishes each morning. Don't forget - some will of course cross out things on your menu that they don't want either so you'll probably still be dealing with changes. Good luck..
Like you, we have what we think is a pretty decent line up of breakfast ideas. This morning I mentioned to one table that we were thinking of going all gf and all non dairy because of Dr Oz.
There was a huge gasp from everyone who had just really enjoyed the full gluten, full dairy dish that several people said they couldn't eat.
Tomorrow is another full gluten, full dairy day with lots of whipped cream and biscuits.
Good for you, do what you like and if the guests don't want to eat it, then they can choose not to. I was surprised a couple weeks back that people were listing all of the yummy things I served this week as stuff they've long ago dropped because of guests -- french toast (not stuffed so I don't worry about dairy), pancakes (just did blueberry ones this morning), tomorrow we're having caramelized onion and provolone cheese quiche (to die for guest favorite), etc.
One guest who doesn't eat eggs. He's getting a toasted bagel with a slice of ham and cheese - what he typically eats at home.
I just explained, in Italian, what we're having for breakfast tomorrow. "Oh, we don't eat eggs for breakfast." Bang head on wall.
I know Italians like sweets but I didn't know they were real Italians until they got here.
Stop worrying about everyone individually. People are adaptable. You likely have muffins, bread and cereal on the table already. They will eat. No one will starve. So, they don't have eggs. It's eat the main if you want, otherwise enjoy the damn continental!
1. GF Muffins - make ahead, freeze batter in cupcake paper, ready to bake fresh anytime.
2. GF Frozen Waffles (Van's) - pop in toaster, done. GF, Nut Free, Dairy Free, Egg Free, Taste Free, Nutrition Free. Artificial Blueberry! Sprinkle icing sugar, drop a few fruits on it or some jam, add some syrup and you are DONE!
3. Buckwheat crepes - Make a stack, fill with fruit, roll blintz style, freeze in wax paper so you can still pull them individually. Defrost in microwave and fry when you need a GF. Mix is 3/4 buckwheat and 1/4 tapioca for elasticity. You can use pie filling if you want, just make sure to add some lemon to cut the sweetness or adulterate, for example adding gingerbread spices to apple, lime to cherry, vanilla to blueberry, etc. If you really want to go wild... ricotta, lemon zest, honey and vanilla is also a good filling.
4. Oatmeal - Either instant (what they deserve) or make ahead and freeze in individual portions, defrost in microwave if needed. Drop some berries on top, done!
If you are having real Celiacs, consider getting a cheap disposible toaster. You know the $10 job at the store, mark it as GF Celiac and use that for the toaster waffles.
My thoughts exactly. With the number of guests Maddie is feeding that is how it should be. Why do we think WE MUST cater to every whim and desire the guests come up with. I am so small that it is not that big a deal as I rarely have a "full-house" anyway. Remember I am in Podunk! For those of you with many rooms - no way!
gillumhouse said:
My thoughts too.
devil_smile.gif
I see this on your website: "For guests who wish to reserve all of our guest rooms for a family vacation, wedding or other group event, we plan a yummy cold buffet for each morning of your stay.
This can include an assortment of bagels and cream cheese, fresh-baked muffins or breads, yogurt, granola and fresh fruit along with juices, coffee and tea."
If you can to this for a group, why can't you just do this for breakfast daily. Maybe add in an egg dish and be done with it. Will make it so much easier on you I think.
Because the group is together and they can bump each other around no big deal.
The cold buffet ends up being a real chore. Half the food doesn't get eaten and the other half we never have enough of and it's never the same half!
And I don't like the buffet. Too much waste. Not that I mind eating bagels for a week after!

gillumhouse said:
My thoughts too.
devil_smile.gif
The cold buffet ends up being a real chore. Half the food doesn't get eaten and the other half we never have enough of and it's never the same half!
And I don't like the buffet. Too much waste. Not that I mind eating bagels for a week after!
Ok then cross that idea off the list. You'll come up with some sort of compromise. We have to lessen your stress...some how :)

gillumhouse said:
My thoughts too.
devil_smile.gif
Ok then cross that idea off the list. You'll come up with some sort of compromise. We have to lessen your stress...some how :)
I am feeling better. The temp dropped 20 degrees. That always helps.
Altho, with the storm, I was awake jumping out of bed every time the power went out. 4 times last night.
I could definitely feel the pain starting up again. So, yeah, let's reduce my stress somehow.

Thinking of my travels and places I have stayed and recall 1 place that gave a menu for guests. The menu consisted of 2 choices:
French toast with bacon
or
Eggs, bacon and toast
Jon S, has an excellent idea about cooking special dietary items and keeping them 'on ice' til needed. In fact, I am going to do just that myself.
Lesson the stress is good for us ALL.

Thinking of my travels and places I have stayed and recall 1 place that gave a menu for guests. The menu consisted of 2 choices:
French toast with bacon
or
Eggs, bacon and toast
Jon S, has an excellent idea about cooking special dietary items and keeping them 'on ice' til needed. In fact, I am going to do just that myself.
Lesson the stress is good for us ALL..
I'm going to try to make some things in advance. We'll talk more about this over the next couple of days. Going to go out tomorrow and enjoy a lobster roll.
OMG! Yes! Gluten and seafood! (Ok, not to pick on seafood as that is a killer allergy.) Butter!

French toast with bacon
or
Eggs, bacon and toast
Lesson the stress is good for us ALL..
I'm going to try to make some things in advance. We'll talk more about this over the next couple of days. Going to go out tomorrow and enjoy a lobster roll.
OMG! Yes! Gluten and seafood! (Ok, not to pick on seafood as that is a killer allergy.) Butter!
It's the season... even the footlong people are selling them. :)

Madeleine said:
My answer to that would be something like, 'you get to enjoy the taste of America!'

Madeleine said:
My answer to that would be something like, 'you get to enjoy the taste of America!'
TheBeachHouse said:
Madeleine said:
Sorry to say but the European idea of the taste of America is fat and sugar and way too much of both. Most euros do not look forward to breakfast here.
A lot of them just eat cereal. Raisin Bran. And toast. They all seem to like toast and jam. Except, apparently, the English who say toast and jam is not for breakfast. Unless they were just picky eaters. ;-)

Madeleine said:
TheBeachHouse said:
Madeleine said:
Sorry to say but the European idea of the taste of America is fat and sugar and way too much of both. Most euros do not look forward to breakfast here.
A lot of them just eat cereal. Raisin Bran. And toast. They all seem to like toast and jam. Except, apparently, the English who say toast and jam is not for breakfast. Unless they were just picky eaters. ;-)
Madeleine said:
TheBeachHouse said:
Madeleine said:
I had a British couple who absolutely loved the Thomas' English Muffins we always supply for the picky eater who doesn't like anything else. They were raving and asked what they were. I had to laugh and say, well, WE call them 'English' muffins.

Madeleine said:
TheBeachHouse said:
Madeleine said:
I'm glad you replied because I wasn't sure how to explain it.
The Spanish and Italians love a sweet breakfast usually. And telling them to eat breakfast like we do here goes down like a ton of bricks, the same way telling North Americans to eat a Chinese breakfast will go down. But with cereal, muffins, bread and jam, they will figure out something.
I have one jam that I don't put on the table because it's quite bittersweet. I pull it out for the Europeans.

Madeleine said:
TheBeachHouse said:
Madeleine said:
The Spanish and Italians love a sweet breakfast usually. And telling them to eat breakfast like we do here goes down like a ton of bricks, the same way telling North Americans to eat a Chinese breakfast will go down. But with cereal, muffins, bread and jam, they will figure out something.
I have one jam that I don't put on the table because it's quite bittersweet. I pull it out for the Europeans.
Just put out a jar of Nutella...that should work.

Madeleine said:
TheBeachHouse said:
Madeleine said:
Yes. I can usually plan a sweet breakfast or at least a sweet starter if I know where they're from. The guests had someone in Canada make their rez so I didn't realize they were really Italian until they walked in not speaking a word of English.
But I can mumble breakfast fairly well in Italian. I've got a list of what we make and I practice it on unsuspecting Romans. ;-)
We would have had panna cotta except for the dairy free contingent that day.

Madeleine said:
TheBeachHouse said:
Madeleine said:
Madeleine said:
TheBeachHouse said:
Madeleine said:
I don't get it. When I travel anywhere in the world, I am offered whatever is typical in that culture! Why are we so fearful of offering an American breakfast? It's part of the travel experience. If they don't like it, then don't eat it! NOT OUR PROBLEM!
I would never go to a foreign country and expect to be served something than what is typically offered.

Madeleine said:
TheBeachHouse said:
Madeleine said:
Just put out a jar of Nutella...that should work.
thumbs_up.gif

Madeleine said:
TheBeachHouse said:
Madeleine said:
Madeleine said:
TheBeachHouse said:
Madeleine said:
I don't get it. When I travel anywhere in the world, I am offered whatever is typical in that culture! Why are we so fearful of offering an American breakfast? It's part of the travel experience. If they don't like it, then don't eat it! NOT OUR PROBLEM!
I would never go to a foreign country and expect to be served something than what is typically offered.
I don't change what we offer, I just change the day it's served on. Mostly because I get so damned tired of listening to euros harp on how awful our food is.
If they want a sweet breakfast and we make a sweet breakfast then that's what we serve that day.
It's tough for us because of our layout. I hear every little jibe. And I'm the one they ask for something else. It wears on me even if I say no, sorry, that's what we have today. Or, they rave about how wonderful their local breakfast is compared to what they've had to eat here for 6 weeks. Blah blah blah.
Oh, and, no sympathy here pal that you're on a 6 week vacation eating horrible food! It's not like the whole world doesn't know what the food is here!
Yes, I'm with you. I would not expect someone in another country to make me an 'American' style breakfast.
I just realized I need to clarify that whole rant! We serve the typical American breakfast of pancakes and sausage or eggs and bacon and the like. We don't do organic, free range gourmet. Nor do we say we do. Our photos show our breakfast. So really no excuse for not knowing what you might get served!

Madeleine said:
TheBeachHouse said:
Madeleine said:
Madeleine said:
TheBeachHouse said:
Madeleine said:
I don't change what we offer, I just change the day it's served on. Mostly because I get so damned tired of listening to euros harp on how awful our food is.
If they want a sweet breakfast and we make a sweet breakfast then that's what we serve that day.
It's tough for us because of our layout. I hear every little jibe. And I'm the one they ask for something else. It wears on me even if I say no, sorry, that's what we have today. Or, they rave about how wonderful their local breakfast is compared to what they've had to eat here for 6 weeks. Blah blah blah.
Oh, and, no sympathy here pal that you're on a 6 week vacation eating horrible food! It's not like the whole world doesn't know what the food is here!
Yes, I'm with you. I would not expect someone in another country to make me an 'American' style breakfast.
I just realized I need to clarify that whole rant! We serve the typical American breakfast of pancakes and sausage or eggs and bacon and the like. We don't do organic, free range gourmet. Nor do we say we do. Our photos show our breakfast. So really no excuse for not knowing what you might get served!
The euros get me too. We do a traditional Scottish breakfast (surprisingly?). I get asked for a continental, if you want a continental breakfast go back to the continent!!

Madeleine said:
TheBeachHouse said:
Madeleine said:
Madeleine said:
TheBeachHouse said:
Madeleine said:
The euros get me too. We do a traditional Scottish breakfast (surprisingly?). I get asked for a continental, if you want a continental breakfast go back to the continent!!
Highlands John said:
Thank you for that!

Madeleine said:
TheBeachHouse said:
Madeleine said:
Madeleine said:
TheBeachHouse said:
Madeleine said:
The "breakfasts" (buffet) at the hotel in Paris left me wanting to go get a breakfast. It was so skimpy! I remember a small container of yogurt (and not many of those), some cheese and rolls of some kind. But there was not much of anything considering the number of people. It was so blah/nothing that it is not memorable as anything except WANTING.

Well we've talked it over, thought it thru and realized we just do not have the space in our kitchen to do a menu.
If we had a big stove with a full size griddle so dh could cook everything on the griddle instead of having to move back and forth between griddle and stove it might work.
But we only have about 3 feet of usable counter space. So really no space to make this work.
Back to the drawing board.

Back