Trying to change

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well we've talked it over, thought it thru and realized we just do not have the space in our kitchen to do a menu.
If we had a big stove with a full size griddle so dh could cook everything on the griddle instead of having to move back and forth between griddle and stove it might work.
But we only have about 3 feet of usable counter space. So really no space to make this work.
Back to the drawing board..
so, it sounds like, you serve whatever it is you planned for. If they don't like it, they can eat cereal and fruit.
angel_smile.gif

Well we've talked it over, thought it thru and realized we just do not have the space in our kitchen to do a menu.
If we had a big stove with a full size griddle so dh could cook everything on the griddle instead of having to move back and forth between griddle and stove it might work.
But we only have about 3 feet of usable counter space. So really no space to make this work.
Maddy, my kitchen is likely smaller than yours.... I don't think I have 3 feet of counterspace in my kitchen. Look at what I said, as long as you have a microwave to defrost things, a freezer to store things, it should work.

so, it sounds like, you serve whatever it is you planned for. If they don't like it, they can eat cereal and fruit.
angel_smile.gif

In going to make granola for the gf crowd.

Firstly, we have a max of 6 people, so this probably wont work for most here, but.....
I cook to order from a menu I prepare the night before. This consists of a full scottish, a full scottish vegetarian (which is the same as the full, but with bacon & sausage substituted with veggy sausage and veggy fingers), and two specials.
I have a whole list of specials, some I only do for special guests when it's quiet because they are quite complex to do, like eggs benedict, some are very quick to do like brioche french toast with bacon and maple syrup (I make the brioche in the bread machine, slice it up and keep it in the freezer ready) or scrambled eggs with smoked salmon.
I choose the next days items depending on what I have in stock and the configuration of guests. So if it's a group of 6 I only put simple things on the menu because they'll all come down together, if it's 3 couples the chances are they wont all come down at once so options can be more complex.
This morning we only had 1 couple in and they were 5 nighters, so I put eggs benedict on becuase it's extra special and tarragon mushrooms on toast topped with poached eggs because I have a large pack of mushrooms in the fridge that will go off soon.
I print the menu the night before on a double sided a4 sheet which I fold length ways and stand on the table. It has the date and the weather forecast on the front.
I didn't just start this overnight, it was much simpler but as confidence and experience has grown I've increased the complexity of what I offer. I have a 7 ring gas hob, which includes a griddle which I have smoking hot in preparation for orders coming into the kitchen for bacon. dh does everything in the breakfast room so I can concentrate on cooking..
7 ring?! Wowzer!
We'd start it on a quiet week to see how it works. Yes, start with the easy stuff! But we don't do anything really involved anyway.
As long as we get the menus back the night before so all the prep can happen first thing then it should be ok. Dh wouldn't get hit with changes on the fly that way.
You know the space we're working with, it has to be very organized!
We used to have a 4 ring electric halogen hob, but it was too slow to cook to order. I did it, but it was slow.
We replaced it with this with the express aim that it made cooking to order easier so I could expand the menu. Gas is much faster, the only disadvantage is that the rising heat around the outside of the pans tends to carry cooking fat around the kitchen, so we're always scrubbing parts of the kitchen. This problem is exasperated by the fact that my cooker backs onto the breakfast room wall and if I have the cooker hood extractor on any setting other than low it vibrates terribly through the wall.
I have a big frying pan (30cm) that goes in the large ring, two smaller pans one I always use for eggs, and standard kitchen saucepan set which I used depending on the dish.
You can also see my two ring griddle that I cook bacon on, on the left.
I know your space, we're lucky that our kitchen is probably 3 times the size of your cooking space and it's square so we're not always trying to get past each other.
DSCF2781.JPG

I now have stove envy.

Firstly, we have a max of 6 people, so this probably wont work for most here, but.....
I cook to order from a menu I prepare the night before. This consists of a full scottish, a full scottish vegetarian (which is the same as the full, but with bacon & sausage substituted with veggy sausage and veggy fingers), and two specials.
I have a whole list of specials, some I only do for special guests when it's quiet because they are quite complex to do, like eggs benedict, some are very quick to do like brioche french toast with bacon and maple syrup (I make the brioche in the bread machine, slice it up and keep it in the freezer ready) or scrambled eggs with smoked salmon.
I choose the next days items depending on what I have in stock and the configuration of guests. So if it's a group of 6 I only put simple things on the menu because they'll all come down together, if it's 3 couples the chances are they wont all come down at once so options can be more complex.
This morning we only had 1 couple in and they were 5 nighters, so I put eggs benedict on becuase it's extra special and tarragon mushrooms on toast topped with poached eggs because I have a large pack of mushrooms in the fridge that will go off soon.
I print the menu the night before on a double sided a4 sheet which I fold length ways and stand on the table. It has the date and the weather forecast on the front.
I didn't just start this overnight, it was much simpler but as confidence and experience has grown I've increased the complexity of what I offer. I have a 7 ring gas hob, which includes a griddle which I have smoking hot in preparation for orders coming into the kitchen for bacon. dh does everything in the breakfast room so I can concentrate on cooking..
7 ring?! Wowzer!
We'd start it on a quiet week to see how it works. Yes, start with the easy stuff! But we don't do anything really involved anyway.
As long as we get the menus back the night before so all the prep can happen first thing then it should be ok. Dh wouldn't get hit with changes on the fly that way.
We used to have a 4 ring electric halogen hob, but it was too slow to cook to order. I did it, but it was slow.
We replaced it with this with the express aim that it made cooking to order easier so I could expand the menu. Gas is much faster, the only disadvantage is that the rising heat around the outside of the pans tends to carry cooking fat around the kitchen, so we're always scrubbing parts of the kitchen. This problem is exasperated by the fact that my cooker backs onto the breakfast room wall and if I have the cooker hood extractor on any setting other than low it vibrates terribly through the wall.
I have a big frying pan (30cm) that goes in the large ring, two smaller pans one I always use for eggs, and standard kitchen saucepan set which I used depending on the dish.
I know your space, we're lucky that our kitchen is probably 3 times the size of your cooking space and it's square so we're not always trying to get past each other.
DSCF2781.JPG

That's the size of my counterspace and then some!

7 ring?! Wowzer!
DSCF2781.JPG

What brand is that? I have a friend who owns a B&B in neighboring town. She has a foreign gas oven that is always hot & ready to go. There are four doors/compartments each with different temperatures. There are certain things that she cannot bake simply because her over doesn't work right for it. It's odd, but people go gaga over it.

7 ring?! Wowzer!
DSCF2781.JPG

What brand is that? I have a friend who owns a B&B in neighboring town. She has a foreign gas oven that is always hot & ready to go. There are four doors/compartments each with different temperatures. There are certain things that she cannot bake simply because her over doesn't work right for it. It's odd, but people go gaga over it.
Kay Nein said:
It's odd, but people go gaga over it.
gaga over AGA (that's a brand name for that kind of stove).

7 ring?! Wowzer!
DSCF2781.JPG

Kay Nein said:
It's odd, but people go gaga over it.
gaga over AGA (that's a brand name for that kind of stove).
we have an official AGA shop here - you would have to sell your house to buy one mind!

I was showing off my brand new, not quite top of the line but way better than I'd had before kitchen and the first comment from on friend was, "Why didn't you get a 6 burner stove?"
sigh

Back