Venting

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh how horrible! So sorry.
broken_heart.gif

Water - there is nothing like it for destruction - our neighbour with a beautiful place (B&B) was on holiday and the property next door started getting lots of water in the basement, they figured out about 2 days later it was coming through the wall from next door and got the other neighbour with the key and shut off the stop cock (main water supply) tap had come off on the top landing and it was all though 3 floors of the house..
Thank You all for the well wishes my cyber friends. You all are the best!
We have a 2 week waiting time to see what the cost will be. All paper pertaining to flood have to be sent to Toronto, Ontario. Then they will get a hold of the men here in a few weeks, then we will find out what is covered for sure. We lost some art work furniture we are not sure how much will be fixed. It is all in the drying room at there place of business. That is all we know for now.
Walls have been torn apart in some rooms in others only half the wall is gone.all the carpet in hallway 2 bedrooms and office and 8 steps plus guest suite carpet and one wall have been torn apart.
Carpets are dried not sure if insurance will replace or just try and clean them up. May just be trying to get rid of the stains from the water.
. About 15 books are water soaked . Thank goodness for small blessing we have replacement insurance plus we took out extra insurance on business loss of income.Not sure where that will end up as this time last year we closed shop because I had been told I had the big C. so income can only be what we did this time last year. Which was bad as we had closed.
So I guess it is a wait and see effort. Hopefully in 2 weeks we will know more.
I just needed to tell somebody. As I lost my best friend of 38 years in Feb of this year and she was like a sister to me. I used to tell her every thing. So cyber friends I just had to vent . This dealing with insurance company is a pain in the backside.
Again thank you all.
heart.gif
heart.gif

if you are dealing with the books its put them out pages up and every few hours move some pages over dries them out quicker and stops the pages sticking together - also amazing reupholstering people on etsy if they will let you use them.

Water - there is nothing like it for destruction - our neighbour with a beautiful place (B&B) was on holiday and the property next door started getting lots of water in the basement, they figured out about 2 days later it was coming through the wall from next door and got the other neighbour with the key and shut off the stop cock (main water supply) tap had come off on the top landing and it was all though 3 floors of the house..
We have a 2 week waiting time to see what the cost will be. All paper pertaining to flood have to be sent to Toronto, Ontario. Then they will get a hold of the men here in a few weeks, then we will find out what is covered for sure. We lost some art work furniture we are not sure how much will be fixed. It is all in the drying room at there place of business. That is all we know for now.
Walls have been torn apart in some rooms in others only half the wall is gone.all the carpet in hallway 2 bedrooms and office and 8 steps plus guest suite carpet and one wall have been torn apart.
Carpets are dried not sure if insurance will replace or just try and clean them up. May just be trying to get rid of the stains from the water.
. About 15 books are water soaked . Thank goodness for small blessing we have replacement insurance plus we took out extra insurance on business loss of income.Not sure where that will end up as this time last year we closed shop because I had been told I had the big C. so income can only be what we did this time last year. Which was bad as we had closed.
I just needed to tell somebody. As I lost my best friend of 38 years in Feb of this year and she was like a sister to me. I used to tell her every thing. So cyber friends I just had to vent . This dealing with insurance company is a pain in the backside.
Again thank you all.
heart.gif
heart.gif

I feel for you. It is bad enough to have to deal with flooding on 3 floors and all it entails, but to not have your friend to tell your frustrations to makes everything worse.
I lost mine in 2008. We had known each other since grade school and not having her to share joys and sorrows out-weighed any of the sorrows - she was not there to e-mail an encouraging word or pick up the phone to cry with of laugh with.
May everything get back on track, smoothly and soon.

Good thing you got the restoration company right on it. At least you minimized the damage. Best wishes for no more surprises of that kind.
heart.gif

Again thank you all.
heart.gif
heart.gif

I feel for you. It is bad enough to have to deal with flooding on 3 floors and all it entails, but to not have your friend to tell your frustrations to makes everything worse.
I lost mine in 2008. We had known each other since grade school and not having her to share joys and sorrows out-weighed any of the sorrows - she was not there to e-mail an encouraging word or pick up the phone to cry with of laugh with.
May everything get back on track, smoothly and soon.
WoW! you are so intuitive.K .

Again thank you all.
heart.gif
heart.gif

if you are dealing with the books its put them out pages up and every few hours move some pages over dries them out quicker and stops the pages sticking together - also amazing reupholstering people on etsy if they will let you use them.
No they took the books away to dry or to destroy Some we can replace while others not..Time will tell. I say. We are not sure just how many books got wet.

Wow so sorry to hear this. Praying for a good out come.

Wow so sorry to hear this. Praying for a good out come.

Wow so sorry to hear this. Praying for a good out come..
I want to thank all of you. I am amazed and so surprised from all of you . It warms my heart . For all the warm thoughts .
Well yesterday they came all picked up all the big dryers and humidifiers. This will help with the heat in the house. as these fans are drying out all but creating tons of good heat.The floors and walls are dry now. thank goodness.
We are taking the time to paint walls and inside closets in one room and will paint hallway before they come in again. Plus all the trim around doors one one level.
Hopefully we will hear from insurance company if there is any news about when they start to repair things. It has been so hot up this way . We are in the middle 30C. now we can have the air on and cool this house down a bit.Ya hooo.

I want to thank all of you. I am amazed and so surprised from all of you . It warms my heart . For all the warm thoughts .
Well yesterday they came all picked up all the big dryers and humidifiers. This will help with the heat in the house. as these fans are drying out all but creating tons of good heat.The floors and walls are dry now. thank goodness.
We are taking the time to paint walls and inside closets in one room and will paint hallway before they come in again. Plus all the trim around doors one one level.
Hopefully we will hear from insurance company if there is any news about when they start to repair things. It has been so hot up this way . We are in the middle 30C. now we can have the air on and cool this house down a bit.Ya hooo.
Having the A/C on will also dry out the air. Good luck with the repairs!

you know we all would back you up - its all of ours worst nightmare! glad its starting to come back together, at least you feel there is some progress and can hopefully see the light at the end of the tunnel.

So sorry to be late with a response. I too am sending a big cyber hug and best wishes for continuing progress as you repair and restore

Mind you and this will be very cold comfort at this time but looking back maybe helpful -
Years ago I met a man who had lived in a place called Boscastle in 2004 - in that year there was flooding like the UK has never seen before or since - mud slides up to the roofs of houses. He said Ive come to the realisation everything I couldn't save was just stuff and i can do without it, its really liberated my whole life to the realisation of what I really need and what I don't.
I admire the way of thinking but I appreciate it is not easy!

Oh my! I'm late to this news also... my heart goes out to you and there's more than a few of us here who have had disasters with water, falling trees, storm damage, etc. who have empathy.
I hope that the restoration work goes quickly and that your insurance covers the repairs.
Most of all, I hope that you can try to maintain your health through this! Big hugs!

So very, very sorry! We all work so hard in this business and then something like this can suck the life out of you. Please don't let that happen. Press on.
You will be in my prayers.

So very, very sorry! We all work so hard in this business and then something like this can suck the life out of you. Please don't let that happen. Press on.
You will be in my prayers..
Thank You Samster and Roxanne. It looks like we are still at some kind of stand still. Yesterday we were trying to work out some kind of time line. Now it looks like end of Sept before our house will be back to normal.
So far we had one wall plastered and painted. Paint colour came out wrong shade . They are telling us they don't want to try and match it again. Ok ! so now you have a choose I say paint all the walls or pick another another paint to try and match the right colour and the right finish not shinning wall when we have mat finish.
The fellow mudded the walls then proceed to sand wall with out sealing off a section so plastered dust when into every thing TV, tables, carpet ,fire place bricks .You name it it was covered in dust. It looked like some one made a room look like a white ghost town.
Today they are hopefully going to work on the family room and put up new walls and ceiling. Then comes more plaster dust . But at lease that part of the house it empty . As all the furniture and B&B stuff plus odds and ends , are out seating in a 40 foot container in our drive way. All 6 rooms have been cleared out to bare walls.
The new floors won't start to be replaced till after Sept 16 th. Timing and ordering will take that long to come here. One thing that has been worked out is our guest that booked us some 3 months ago we could not find him a place to stay for 8 days . So restoration company has just about finish the guest suite. That is the room that they painted but with the wrong colour and wrong finish.
So he has a place to stay But sounds like we may have to find a place to sleep as our room will be packed up. Plus family will be in our other suite so we can't move into that place. At this point were not sure where we will be staying. Which is just wonderful ! guest of 8 days will be in house and family will be in house. LOL it never rains but pours. I said I guess we will have to camp out in the yard rent a tent .... ummm .this is the busy time of year so finding a room is not going to happen as we had all ready tried doing that for our guest. Oh well some thing has to give!!! ?

Thank You Samster and Roxanne. It looks like we are still at some kind of stand still. Yesterday we were trying to work out some kind of time line. Now it looks like end of Sept before our house will be back to normal.
So far we had one wall plastered and painted. Paint colour came out wrong shade . They are telling us they don't want to try and match it again. Ok ! so now you have a choose I say paint all the walls or pick another another paint to try and match the right colour and the right finish not shinning wall when we have mat finish.
The fellow mudded the walls then proceed to sand wall with out sealing off a section so plastered dust when into every thing TV, tables, carpet ,fire place bricks .You name it it was covered in dust. It looked like some one made a room look like a white ghost town.
Today they are hopefully going to work on the family room and put up new walls and ceiling. Then comes more plaster dust . But at lease that part of the house it empty . As all the furniture and B&B stuff plus odds and ends , are out seating in a 40 foot container in our drive way. All 6 rooms have been cleared out to bare walls.
The new floors won't start to be replaced till after Sept 16 th. Timing and ordering will take that long to come here. One thing that has been worked out is our guest that booked us some 3 months ago we could not find him a place to stay for 8 days . So restoration company has just about finish the guest suite. That is the room that they painted but with the wrong colour and wrong finish.
So he has a place to stay But sounds like we may have to find a place to sleep as our room will be packed up. Plus family will be in our other suite so we can't move into that place. At this point were not sure where we will be staying. Which is just wonderful ! guest of 8 days will be in house and family will be in house. LOL it never rains but pours. I said I guess we will have to camp out in the yard rent a tent .... ummm .this is the busy time of year so finding a room is not going to happen as we had all ready tried doing that for our guest. Oh well some thing has to give!!! ?
sounds immensely stressful. wish we could help.

How about seeing if you could rent a trailer/camper and park it next to the storage trailer. You could run cords out so you would be comfortable regardless of the weather.

With automotive paint and furniture finish a flattening agent can be added in varing degrees to dull the finish from a shine to a mat finish, seems like that should apply to wall finishes also and the way a color is reflected is determined in part by the amount of gloss, seems that your folks don't have a good eye for color.
I've never done real plaster, but if you mean wallboard and joint compound, I've found that I can "sand" it with a wet/damp sponge and the dust ends in the bucket where I rinse the sponge.
Camper or motorhome rental may be the fastest lodging solution
Sure sorry for all that you are having to face going throught this mess

Thank you for taking the time to give us all an update. This is a tough way to get a remodel. My heart goes out to you.
My husband is doing a job right now that involved a beautiful million dollar vacation home nearby that was 2/3 destroyed by a water leak over the winter (no one was there) in the attic from a steam shower. A small part broke, the water was not turned off and water leaked all winter. In the spring the owners found their home nearly a total loss with collapsed ceilings and mold growing everywhere.
Next to fire nothing does more damage than water. I am so sorry you are living this nightmare.
Hugs from across the pond.

Back