Venting

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So very, very sorry! We all work so hard in this business and then something like this can suck the life out of you. Please don't let that happen. Press on.
You will be in my prayers..
Thank You Samster and Roxanne. It looks like we are still at some kind of stand still. Yesterday we were trying to work out some kind of time line. Now it looks like end of Sept before our house will be back to normal.
So far we had one wall plastered and painted. Paint colour came out wrong shade . They are telling us they don't want to try and match it again. Ok ! so now you have a choose I say paint all the walls or pick another another paint to try and match the right colour and the right finish not shinning wall when we have mat finish.
The fellow mudded the walls then proceed to sand wall with out sealing off a section so plastered dust when into every thing TV, tables, carpet ,fire place bricks .You name it it was covered in dust. It looked like some one made a room look like a white ghost town.
Today they are hopefully going to work on the family room and put up new walls and ceiling. Then comes more plaster dust . But at lease that part of the house it empty . As all the furniture and B&B stuff plus odds and ends , are out seating in a 40 foot container in our drive way. All 6 rooms have been cleared out to bare walls.
The new floors won't start to be replaced till after Sept 16 th. Timing and ordering will take that long to come here. One thing that has been worked out is our guest that booked us some 3 months ago we could not find him a place to stay for 8 days . So restoration company has just about finish the guest suite. That is the room that they painted but with the wrong colour and wrong finish.
So he has a place to stay But sounds like we may have to find a place to sleep as our room will be packed up. Plus family will be in our other suite so we can't move into that place. At this point were not sure where we will be staying. Which is just wonderful ! guest of 8 days will be in house and family will be in house. LOL it never rains but pours. I said I guess we will have to camp out in the yard rent a tent .... ummm .this is the busy time of year so finding a room is not going to happen as we had all ready tried doing that for our guest. Oh well some thing has to give!!! ?
How about seeing if you could rent a trailer/camper and park it next to the storage trailer. You could run cords out so you would be comfortable regardless of the weather.
Love to do just that. But our wires are to low for our motor home to come into the driveway. then guest would have no place to park. I can see the ta reviews now.

So very, very sorry! We all work so hard in this business and then something like this can suck the life out of you. Please don't let that happen. Press on.
You will be in my prayers..
Thank You Samster and Roxanne. It looks like we are still at some kind of stand still. Yesterday we were trying to work out some kind of time line. Now it looks like end of Sept before our house will be back to normal.
So far we had one wall plastered and painted. Paint colour came out wrong shade . They are telling us they don't want to try and match it again. Ok ! so now you have a choose I say paint all the walls or pick another another paint to try and match the right colour and the right finish not shinning wall when we have mat finish.
The fellow mudded the walls then proceed to sand wall with out sealing off a section so plastered dust when into every thing TV, tables, carpet ,fire place bricks .You name it it was covered in dust. It looked like some one made a room look like a white ghost town.
Today they are hopefully going to work on the family room and put up new walls and ceiling. Then comes more plaster dust . But at lease that part of the house it empty . As all the furniture and B&B stuff plus odds and ends , are out seating in a 40 foot container in our drive way. All 6 rooms have been cleared out to bare walls.
The new floors won't start to be replaced till after Sept 16 th. Timing and ordering will take that long to come here. One thing that has been worked out is our guest that booked us some 3 months ago we could not find him a place to stay for 8 days . So restoration company has just about finish the guest suite. That is the room that they painted but with the wrong colour and wrong finish.
So he has a place to stay But sounds like we may have to find a place to sleep as our room will be packed up. Plus family will be in our other suite so we can't move into that place. At this point were not sure where we will be staying. Which is just wonderful ! guest of 8 days will be in house and family will be in house. LOL it never rains but pours. I said I guess we will have to camp out in the yard rent a tent .... ummm .this is the busy time of year so finding a room is not going to happen as we had all ready tried doing that for our guest. Oh well some thing has to give!!! ?
Thank you for taking the time to give us all an update. This is a tough way to get a remodel. My heart goes out to you.
My husband is doing a job right now that involved a beautiful million dollar vacation home nearby that was 2/3 destroyed by a water leak over the winter (no one was there) in the attic from a steam shower. A small part broke, the water was not turned off and water leaked all winter. In the spring the owners found their home nearly a total loss with collapsed ceilings and mold growing everywhere.
Next to fire nothing does more damage than water. I am so sorry you are living this nightmare.
Hugs from across the pond.
OMG That is so sad. I hope their insurance company was a good one.
The insurance company decided to cut us a check for actual cash value and dispense with the adjuster. This theory is this gives us the flexibility to hire whom ever we want to do the repairs.
The problem with this is that we are in a small town and finding qualified people to do the jobs is almost impossible. Just add more stress to a bad situation. It keeps getting more interesting as time goes by.
What a learning experience. Yes Sirree!.

Back