What Do People Want For Breakfast?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Before I flew out for the innspiring road trip we stopped at our local mcd and they had the sausage egg mcmuff and they were giant, and fresh and amazing. I ate both of them, then at about 10,000 feet I began to regret the second one!
cry_smile.gif

I had never had one quite so delicious. The stats show people love breakfast at mcdee's which is why all the others are in competition with them.
That said, I would rather have that than a boofay of dried out, limped outfrom the freezer potatoes and runny eggs as well.
The thing that GETS MY GOAT at a restaurant for breakfast these days is (95% of the time) it is all precooked and reheated.
Biscuits from frozen, gravy from a can. it is shameful and makes me mad. The reason people eat OUT is so someone can cook for them! What the! I can friggin' reheat something from my own freezer! So all that to say, cook for me.
Btw Beachies, I did a trial run of the breakfast made-to-order here, they select the night before. NO ONE selected a side of fresh fruit. I was shocked. They could choose anything and everything. Whatever they wanted. Overall they all selected hashbrowns, they all wanted an omelet, a few wanted pecan pancakes and similar.
Last night I popped in the oven for 110 minutes a fine label shepherd's pie we bought. When I dished it out it looked like barf. DH said, and I quote "It isn't too bad. Presentation isn't as important to me as it is to you, I can eat something that looks like barf."
He really said that. I mentioned the barf appearance and it just spread out all over my plate, the whipped potatoes had to be instant, it was disgusting!
Meanwhile I was shaking Valentino hot sauce from Guadalajara all over it to even taste it. It was simply put, AWFUL..
Pet Peeve.... Shepherd's Pie... should be made of lamb. When it's made of beef it's Cottage Pie. Does no one know what a Shepherd is anymore?
Around here, it would have corn between the meat and potatoes.
Shepherds pie ( first time I saw it I was at work and I was 30- something) has always been hamburg, corn and mashed potatoes. Never heard it made with lamb. Given the name it makes sense it would be lamb but hamburg is cheaper.

Before I flew out for the innspiring road trip we stopped at our local mcd and they had the sausage egg mcmuff and they were giant, and fresh and amazing. I ate both of them, then at about 10,000 feet I began to regret the second one!
cry_smile.gif

I had never had one quite so delicious. The stats show people love breakfast at mcdee's which is why all the others are in competition with them.
That said, I would rather have that than a boofay of dried out, limped outfrom the freezer potatoes and runny eggs as well.
The thing that GETS MY GOAT at a restaurant for breakfast these days is (95% of the time) it is all precooked and reheated.
Biscuits from frozen, gravy from a can. it is shameful and makes me mad. The reason people eat OUT is so someone can cook for them! What the! I can friggin' reheat something from my own freezer! So all that to say, cook for me.
Btw Beachies, I did a trial run of the breakfast made-to-order here, they select the night before. NO ONE selected a side of fresh fruit. I was shocked. They could choose anything and everything. Whatever they wanted. Overall they all selected hashbrowns, they all wanted an omelet, a few wanted pecan pancakes and similar.
Last night I popped in the oven for 110 minutes a fine label shepherd's pie we bought. When I dished it out it looked like barf. DH said, and I quote "It isn't too bad. Presentation isn't as important to me as it is to you, I can eat something that looks like barf."
He really said that. I mentioned the barf appearance and it just spread out all over my plate, the whipped potatoes had to be instant, it was disgusting!
Meanwhile I was shaking Valentino hot sauce from Guadalajara all over it to even taste it. It was simply put, AWFUL..
Pet Peeve.... Shepherd's Pie... should be made of lamb. When it's made of beef it's Cottage Pie. Does no one know what a Shepherd is anymore?
Sorry, I can only think about a lyric from Sweeney Todd. "Shephard's pie sprinkled with actual shephard on top..."

cry_smile.gif

Sorry, I can only think about a lyric from Sweeney Todd. "Shephard's pie sprinkled with actual shephard on top..."
Breakfast Diva said:
I LOVE SWEENEY TODD! (The Angela Lansbury version.)

If we're traveling and the hotel offers breakfast at an additional charge, we always opt out. I'd rather find a little mom & pop place and sit in peace with a good cup of coffee and brekkie. If it's included, well, expectations are way low! DH usually does the waffles and I'll have a bagel.
The key word for most travelers is 'free'. Cheap room, free breakfast, standard issue stuff. What bugs them most is when it's a crowded breakfast room. Go figure.

If we're traveling and the hotel offers breakfast at an additional charge, we always opt out. I'd rather find a little mom & pop place and sit in peace with a good cup of coffee and brekkie. If it's included, well, expectations are way low! DH usually does the waffles and I'll have a bagel.
The key word for most travelers is 'free'. Cheap room, free breakfast, standard issue stuff. What bugs them most is when it's a crowded breakfast room. Go figure..
I hate the crowds. Yelling parents, TV on in the corner, kids running all over. Hate it. Not a morning person at all. Try not to travel when kids are out of school.

cry_smile.gif

Breakfast Diva said:
I LOVE SWEENEY TODD! (The Angela Lansbury version.)
ME TOO!! Stephen Sondheim at his best! Angela Landsbury is the ultimate Mrs. Lovett

The key word for most travelers is 'free'. Cheap room, free breakfast, standard issue stuff. What bugs them most is when it's a crowded breakfast room. Go figure..
Breakfast Diva said:
If we're traveling and the hotel offers breakfast at an additional charge, we always opt out. I'd rather find a little mom & pop place....
Me too, but MANY times in the heart of cities like Atlanta and San Francisco, I've walked and walked, found nothing, and ended up giving up and going back to the hotel to get so-so food at inflated prices :-(

cry_smile.gif

Shepherds pie ( first time I saw it I was at work and I was 30- something) has always been hamburg, corn and mashed potatoes. Never heard it made with lamb. Given the name it makes sense it would be lamb but hamburg is cheaper.
Ah, so you have the same recipe as up here. Do they call it Chinese Pie in your parts as well. And Mr Madeleine, does he call it that?
Incidentally, put bread crumbs on top and it's Cumberland Pie.

Breakfast Diva said:
If we're traveling and the hotel offers breakfast at an additional charge, we always opt out. I'd rather find a little mom & pop place....
Me too, but MANY times in the heart of cities like Atlanta and San Francisco, I've walked and walked, found nothing, and ended up giving up and going back to the hotel to get so-so food at inflated prices :-(
Arks said:
Breakfast Diva said:
That's when you use YELP!

When I have an early leave the house, my treat to me is to stop at Ha rdee for the ultimate om e let bis cuit if going north. Otherwise it is She etz for the bacon egg & cheese biscuit.. Hotel boofays are usually disappointing but I know what to expect so say oh well. I usually travel hit & split cheap room due to time constraints. The Road Trip was the most relaxed travel I have done since Europe in 2011. (And that was not as relaxed because I was chomping at the bit to start site-seeing and they were on their breakfast at 10 am schedule in the camper.).
All I can say to this is... you need to try bacon jam.
If it says bacon, I am in, no I am IN!!! Bacon is better than chocolate says this chocoholic.
Here's a basic recipe... http://www.americastestkitchenfeed.com/recipes/homemade-bacon-jam/
I don't use the honey and I use refined sugar, but I use amber maple syrup (which not everyone can get). I also use espresso instead of coffee and for mellowness, a teaspoon of instant coffee and a little fresh black pepper for the tongue taste.
Could not see the recipe - had to login. Sigh

When I have an early leave the house, my treat to me is to stop at Ha rdee for the ultimate om e let bis cuit if going north. Otherwise it is She etz for the bacon egg & cheese biscuit.. Hotel boofays are usually disappointing but I know what to expect so say oh well. I usually travel hit & split cheap room due to time constraints. The Road Trip was the most relaxed travel I have done since Europe in 2011. (And that was not as relaxed because I was chomping at the bit to start site-seeing and they were on their breakfast at 10 am schedule in the camper.).
If it says bacon, I am in, no I am IN!!! Bacon is better than chocolate says this chocoholic.
No way...CHOCOLATE BEATS EVERYTHING. I never eat bacon. I don't like it at all.. a waste of calories.
Tis a matter of taste, my friend. I love chocolate but love bacon better. We each clog out arteries our own way. Prefer a salt high to a sugar high ONLY in this instance.

cry_smile.gif

Ah, so you have the same recipe as up here. Do they call it Chinese Pie in your parts as well. And Mr Madeleine, does he call it that?
The Mr calls it Shepard's pie. It was called something else when he was a kid, 'something French' is as close as he could come but it's been Shepard's as long as he can remember the name.
We never had it when I was a kid. And I can say I've never had it as an adult either. The 3 things separately on a plate but not together in a casserole.

No way...CHOCOLATE BEATS EVERYTHING. I never eat bacon. I don't like it at all.. a waste of calories.
Tis a matter of taste, my friend. I love chocolate but love bacon better. We each clog out arteries our own way. Prefer a salt high to a sugar high ONLY in this instance.
Chocolate DIPPED bacon, anyone? I'd try it in a heartbeat!

Here's a basic recipe... http://www.americastestkitchenfeed.com/recipes/homemade-bacon-jam/
I don't use the honey and I use refined sugar, but I use amber maple syrup (which not everyone can get). I also use espresso instead of coffee and for mellowness, a teaspoon of instant coffee and a little fresh black pepper for the tongue taste.
It should magically appear, now.

BananaE29 said:
Weirdly yummy!

cry_smile.gif

The Mr calls it Shepard's pie. It was called something else when he was a kid, 'something French' is as close as he could come but it's been Shepard's as long as he can remember the name.
We never had it when I was a kid. And I can say I've never had it as an adult either. The 3 things separately on a plate but not together in a casserole.
Well, ask him about the name Chinese Pie (Pateh Shinwa)

cry_smile.gif

Sugar Bear said:
I did. I gave him all the options. Nothing rang a bell.

I have repeat guests who had whole grain pecan pancakes and a medley of sweet potatoes and regular potatoes braised in the oven along with a muffin and fruit and yogurt parfait. They preferred no meat, and the pancake was on the smallish side. They're back, and the comment was pancakes and potatoes together was over the top. Sooo, tomorrow it's fresh fruit, a mini croissant from the bakery, egg and cheese casserole and a tomato and avacado garnish. Their confreres will also get ham.
Here in the midwest, when I try anything very adventurous it usually goes uneaten.

It should magically appear, now.
Nope - just a how to article of ingredients (steps) but not a list of with quantities. I will file this with the Honda 250 I had to pass on today - "You have no place to put it. You are beyond riding! Yada yada yada..."
One should always check junk before speaking. Thank you. So it is only the bike I am crying (mentally) about tonight.

I was looking at a ham and cheese bisuit recipe. Has anyone with a continental only license tried that?.
TheBeachHouse said:
I was looking at a ham and cheese bisuit recipe. Has anyone with a continental only license tried that?
Can you make scones? I went to a small bakery a couple weeks ago and had a cheddar, bacon and scallion scone that was delicious. I asked if they sauteed the scallions before adding them to the batter and they said no. Sounds pretty easy!
Breakfast Diva said:
TheBeachHouse said:
I was looking at a ham and cheese bisuit recipe. Has anyone with a continental only license tried that?
Can you make scones? I went to a small bakery a couple weeks ago and had a cheddar, bacon and scallion scone that was delicious. I asked if they sauteed the scallions before adding them to the batter and they said no. Sounds pretty easy!
We can't cook the bacon, which is why I was leaning toward ham. It comes precooked. But these days, you can get precooked bacon. hmmmm.
Seriously, there have been no complaints. People seem to like the sweets. I don't. I miss my 'real' breakfast.
TheBeachHouse said:
Breakfast Diva said:
TheBeachHouse said:
We can't cook the bacon, which is why I was leaning toward ham. It comes precooked. But these days, you can get precooked bacon. hmmmm.
Seriously, there have been no complaints. People seem to like the sweets. I don't. I miss my 'real' breakfast.
This may be something you can use for a contest. Asking guests for input, they would love that!
Id do a send in your own best recepies type of thing - could even be made into a cook book - lots of options there

Back