What Do People Want For Breakfast?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hijack alert!
I took a call "Will you give us a group discount if we book more than one room?"
Me "How many rooms are you interested in reserving?"
Her "Three"
Okay, so help me innmates, why I can't I be so overly cute and say with a sparkly, YES OF COURSE! $10 for reserving online! Instead of me and dead silence and I think about what she just said, and how bloody ridiculous it is!
I didn't do the sparkly return. I said, We can offer you an online discount, of course. But why I can't sell it like it is the greatest thing in the world, is beyond me, I hate getting caught off guard. The $10 she did not even bat at, I think it is pretty friggin' generous of me to give a discount at all.
okay, sorry, if a non innkeeper is reading, which i do not like, you don't understand. we have bills to pay and mouths to feed too. Considering we have ZERO guests this weekend, snow on the ground, and so far the worst year ever.

Hijack alert!
I took a call "Will you give us a group discount if we book more than one room?"
Her "Three"
Okay, so help me innmates, why I can't I be so overly cute and say with a sparkly, YES OF COURSE! $10 for reserving online! Instead of me and dead silence and I think about what she just said, and how bloody ridiculous it is!
I didn't do the sparkly return. I said, We can offer you an online discount, of course. But why I can't sell it like it is the greatest thing in the world, is beyond me, I hate getting caught off guard. The $10 she did not even bat at, I think it is pretty friggin' generous of me to give a discount at all.
okay, sorry, if a non innkeeper is reading, which i do not like, you don't understand. we have bills to pay and mouths to feed too. Considering we have ZERO guests this weekend, snow on the ground, and so far the worst year ever..
Same here. Very bad winter.
Had an email filled with compliments and the dreaded word 'budget'. Already knew we had openings, knew the price, but wanted a discount. But wanted me to offer it rather than asking for it.
Well heck, of course, because we're not full. I erased my original reply back which was along the lines of, ' I understand when a guest uses the word budget what they are asking is for me to lower my price to what they can afford. Sorry I am unable to do that.'
Gave them the info for the econo lodge which is $69.

Hijack alert!
Her "Three"
okay, sorry, if a non innkeeper is reading, which i do not like, you don't understand. we have bills to pay and mouths to feed too. Considering we have ZERO guests this weekend, snow on the ground, and so far the worst year ever..
Had an email filled with compliments and the dreaded word 'budget'. Already knew we had openings, knew the price, but wanted a discount. But wanted me to offer it rather than asking for it.
Well heck, of course, because we're not full. I erased my original reply back which was along the lines of, ' I understand when a guest uses the word budget what they are asking is for me to lower my price to what they can afford. Sorry I am unable to do that.'
BTW I am giving a discount to some special guests on monday for an empowered womens conference. I did it for the conference coordinator. $80 per room. It is just not the same thing. I do this as they would be going to uncomfort inn and I said last year if it is midweek I would match the rate and give them keynote speaker, etc a nice place to stay.
Coming for a wedding, trying to nickle and dime US is another story, and just makes me mad.
Why do people think they can bargain their way for a place to stay! She was on the website, she saw the rates, and the discount. I do not like it sam I am.

Hijack alert!
Her "Three"
BTW I am giving a discount to some special guests on monday for an empowered womens conference. I did it for the conference coordinator. $80 per room. It is just not the same thing. I do this as they would be going to uncomfort inn and I said last year if it is midweek I would match the rate and give them keynote speaker, etc a nice place to stay.
Coming for a wedding, trying to nickle and dime US is another story, and just makes me mad.
Why do people think they can bargain their way for a place to stay! She was on the website, she saw the rates, and the discount. I do not like it sam I am.
The media is constantly telling people to ask for a discount. Everywhere, for everything. Hate it. I say nicely, sorry, I understand what a budget is, but we do have expenses too, and best we can do is our xxxx discount, and we offer that to EVERYONE. Read between lines...NO you are not special.

Hijack alert!
Her "Three"
The media is constantly telling people to ask for a discount. Everywhere, for everything. Hate it. I say nicely, sorry, I understand what a budget is, but we do have expenses too, and best we can do is our xxxx discount, and we offer that to EVERYONE. Read between lines...NO you are not special.
white pine said:
agreed
and we are already offering you one, and you want more.

Hijack alert!
Her "Three"
I guess what gets me is I am planning a vacation and am not asking the airline, the car rental, the hotels or the restaurants to cut me some slack because this trip is tapping me out.
Had they not done the whole effusive thing and the budget thing, at this time of year I could have not charged for the extra people in their party and that would have saved them.

The other day a guy called and left a message to return his call. I did. Again 95% of my callers are never guests who will book a room, but "other"
and he said I really like your website and will be in the area...
What do you mean BE in the area, he is wording it like a wiley coyote, and I saw it from the beginning, and was super nice and said "Well that is grand, thank you so much, sorry we can't HIRE YOU" as they always act like they are trying to do US a favor.
I think he was shocked I didn't hang up on him. But fair enough, he actually was a real person in our state looking for work, so for that I give him props. whoever he was. DOH!
I told him that he was the last in line, there are 20 SEO experts ahead of him.

The other day a guy called and left a message to return his call. I did. Again 95% of my callers are never guests who will book a room, but "other"
What do you mean BE in the area, he is wording it like a wiley coyote, and I saw it from the beginning, and was super nice and said "Well that is grand, thank you so much, sorry we can't HIRE YOU" as they always act like they are trying to do US a favor.
I think he was shocked I didn't hang up on him. But fair enough, he actually was a real person in our state looking for work, so for that I give him props. whoever he was. DOH!
I told him that he was the last in line, there are 20 SEO experts ahead of him..
We are wildly off track now but here goes... Got another of those 'we're reaching out to local businesses...' letters that went on for paragraphs, dense, single spaced paragraphs until they got to the point... their auction.
Initially, we thought we were being offered the chance to attend the big navy ball. Ha! Should have known enlisted sailors need not apply.

I told him that he was the last in line, there are 20 SEO experts ahead of him..
We are wildly off track now but here goes... Got another of those 'we're reaching out to local businesses...' letters that went on for paragraphs, dense, single spaced paragraphs until they got to the point... their auction.
Initially, we thought we were being offered the chance to attend the big navy ball. Ha! Should have known enlisted sailors need not apply.
Sidetrack continuum
Chat on FB telling me about the nearby CVB will be in town next week for a meeting, an opportunity for ME to meet them, and take advantage of some advertising, etc. he says.
Me: We have been paying members of the CVB for 15 years. I was at a meeting last week. They know me more than anyone in this entire county, since I am the only one promoting it.
DUFUS
Is it a full moon?

Hijack alert!
Her "Three"
And then we get this couple who take the best room and have some of the lowest paying jobs known to industry.

Hijack alert!
Her "Three"
And then we get this couple who take the best room and have some of the lowest paying jobs known to industry.
Madeleine said:
Just out of curiosity, maybe someone gave them the stay or funded it. I am pretty sure our couple this summer who are planning on coming back, had this happen. They asked for $ and used it toward their visit for some special occasion.
Or, simply put it is a special occasion, good on em!

Hijack alert!
Her "Three"
We get this all the time. Typically they are wonderful guests and appreciate everything! It's a real splurge for them and it's the first time they've stayed at a really nice place instead of a motel. I'll take them any time!

Hijack alert!
Her "Three"
We get this all the time. Typically they are wonderful guests and appreciate everything! It's a real splurge for them and it's the first time they've stayed at a really nice place instead of a motel. I'll take them any time!
Breakfast Diva said:
I read one of those daily advice/inspirational thingies yesterday and it was talking about how people act diff in diff environs, the example given was "Most people wouldn't spit on the floor in the ritz carlton" - in other words the saying "Step up!" comes to mind.
I was thinking about that and our place. How most guests make their beds, and most are awesome, and it made me smile to think that was the reason... as I was upstairs cleaning a room. DH had to take a customer service management consultant type class... he called and I said "ask him is it okay for an innkeeper to say to a customer "Go poop in your own friggin' toilet!"
Of course, I would never use that term, but the guest did. I was in his room cleaning, extra cleaning, as was needed.
He had directed his wife to another guest room restroom to use, the one he had just used, at check out, instead of the one IN HIS ROOM. I found the bathroom with lid up, lights on, towels used. Toilet dirty. Disinfectant spray in the room.
He yelled down the stairs to the others at check out "I will be there in a minute I have to go poop." No I am not kidding, and ha ha they laughed. I stood there, really?
So the next day I read that. The beds were made in all the rooms, except his. Go figure. The rooms were tidy, all rooms, except his.
All that to say, he WOULD spit on the floor of the ritz carlton, but most would not. Most are respectful and step up to whatever their surroundings call for. For the min wage checker at stuffmart, she steps up and appreciates it all there!

Hijack alert!
Her "Three"
Her statement to me... 'I clean rooms. None of the rooms I clean are as pretty as this.'

Hijack alert!
Her "Three"
Breakfast Diva said:
I read one of those daily advice/inspirational thingies yesterday and it was talking about how people act diff in diff environs, the example given was "Most people wouldn't spit on the floor in the ritz carlton" - in other words the saying "Step up!" comes to mind.
I was thinking about that and our place. How most guests make their beds, and most are awesome, and it made me smile to think that was the reason... as I was upstairs cleaning a room. DH had to take a customer service management consultant type class... he called and I said "ask him is it okay for an innkeeper to say to a customer "Go poop in your own friggin' toilet!"
Of course, I would never use that term, but the guest did. I was in his room cleaning, extra cleaning, as was needed.
He had directed his wife to another guest room restroom to use, the one he had just used, at check out, instead of the one IN HIS ROOM. I found the bathroom with lid up, lights on, towels used. Toilet dirty. Disinfectant spray in the room.
He yelled down the stairs to the others at check out "I will be there in a minute I have to go poop." No I am not kidding, and ha ha they laughed. I stood there, really?
So the next day I read that. The beds were made in all the rooms, except his. Go figure. The rooms were tidy, all rooms, except his.
All that to say, he WOULD spit on the floor of the ritz carlton, but most would not. Most are respectful and step up to whatever their surroundings call for. For the min wage checker at stuffmart, she steps up and appreciates it all there!
I think a lot of people treat ugly things in an ugly way.
There are people who are just rude but other times it is just that people think no one cares about them so then won't care back.
If they go to a park and there is trash everywhere fewer people will seek out a trash can. If it's neat and tidy, fewer people will litter. Always there is the bad apple no matter what.
And as I say all the time... It's rare when a bed is made here.
You know the thing I find very rude? Missing the trash can with your garbage. And then not picking it up. To me, more so than not making the bed, that is arrogant.

Hijack alert!
Her "Three"
More rooms is always more of a problem. We don't offer any discount for that, we usually don't charge a deposit... when it comes to 3 rooms, we do. I usually end up with noisy complaints.

Hijack alert!
Her "Three"
Her statement to me... 'I clean rooms. None of the rooms I clean are as pretty as this.'
Madeleine said:
I once had a guest who came for an inn-to-inn rail-trail package. She told me she decided how much she wanted something by asking herself the question - "How many toilets do I have to clean to do this (or get this)?"
BTW - I have on the books right now a 25th Anniversary on Feb 11, 2015. I saw her outside the Library a few weeks ago when snow was up the wazoo. They live here in town. She said she wanted to do something special and worst case scenario they could WALK to my place! I told her she could book online a year in advance - and she did!

Hijack alert!
Her "Three"
Madeleine said:
Almost makes you want a BnBforvets for Housekeepers doesn't it! Honor the little guy...

Back