What every guest room should have

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Okay, must put second box of tissues in the room.
Am working on the comfy chairs, one room at a time. Like some here, I have space issues, so there can be only one comfy chair.
DND signs? Hmmmm. If I don't see them leave, I don't go in but I could miss someone. I'll have to get some.
Each room has a mini fridge underneath one of the two night stands in the room. DH built all the furniture, so the fridge fits underneath perfectly. And , the night stands are a nice height so that you can place a beverage by your bedside, level with the bed. Arks, it does make a little noise. Some are fine with it. Once in awhile I find it unplugged. No big deal.
Tri-light lamps on either side of bed within reach.
Can I take a retest in a couple of weeks?.
2cat_lady said:
We have them in the room, not the bathroom. Funny how here in our guest rooms one box of tissues last forever, I feel like I am always using them when I stay at a hotel or B&B...
It depends on the season. When they get near the end I like to put a second box under the first box.
Unless, of course three rooms decide to steal your special Christmas decor tissues when they leave.
Jon Sable said:
It depends on the season. When they get near the end I like to put a second box under the first box.
Unless, of course three rooms decide to steal your special Christmas decor tissues when they leave.
oh how did I know we would hear about them, those people have no idea what they have done! haha
You put a second box under the first, you don't just take the first away when it is near empty?

We passed!
We purchased a laminator and made our own do not disturb/please make up room signs just last week.

Well, I'm getting closer to passing!
Most rooms have comfy seating, I really need to upgrade 2.
I have improved the lighting over the years to have more lamps but 2 rooms still do not have lamps on both sides of the bed, only 1 side. Both rooms have space issues to deal with which is the issue I have had.
Tissues in the room - check. DND signs - check.
I do not have a full fridge in each room, we do have a hall fridge but we recently purchased these mini C ok e fridges for each room. They are great for a few bottles of water(4-6). They are fairly quiet and if unplugged they cool down quickly for the next guest. They are also a conversation piece.
Coke.jpg
Those are cool!

Am working on the comfy chairs, one room at a time. Like some here, I have space issues, so there can be only one comfy chair.
DND signs? Hmmmm. If I don't see them leave, I don't go in but I could miss someone. I'll have to get some.
Each room has a mini fridge underneath one of the two night stands in the room. DH built all the furniture, so the fridge fits underneath perfectly. And , the night stands are a nice height so that you can place a beverage by your bedside, level with the bed. Arks, it does make a little noise. Some are fine with it. Once in awhile I find it unplugged. No big deal.
2cat_lady said:
We have them in the room, not the bathroom. Funny how here in our guest rooms one box of tissues last forever, I feel like I am always using them when I stay at a hotel or B&B...
Jon Sable said:
oh how did I know we would hear about them, those people have no idea what they have done! haha
You put a second box under the first, you don't just take the first away when it is near empty?
Joey Bloggs said:
Jon Sable said:
Innkeeper tissues. Just like innkeeper tp.

Stayed in a "budget" hotel about 2 months ago. I would add to the list:
1) hot water! Ran it several times for 20 minutes and not even lukewarm. I don't do review sites, but if so, that would have gotten a loud negative review. If I want a bath in ice water, I will visit the ice machine!
2) Wifi that WORKS!. They advertised Wifi, but we tried many times to connect but it would just hang; I suspect it was that way most of the time. There were only a few guests, so I doubt it was because of someone on Hulu. We have tablet/laptop. Not everyone accesses the web by their cell provider.
3) TV. There are some lodges/inns that seem to think people are fine without a decent TV. I think that should be the person's choice, not the owner. Americans watch a ton of TV, and I see no reason to cheap out on this. Personally, I would never never never stay anywhere without one. If "too loud" most TVs have a hidden hotel mode that allows you to set the max volume.
I understand some of the negative reviews on yelp or TA. Some owners seem to be squeezing every penny and missing the pounds.

1) hot water! Ran it several times for 20 minutes and not even lukewarm. I don't do review sites, but if so, that would have gotten a loud negative review. If I want a bath in ice water, I will visit the ice machine!
2) Wifi that WORKS!. They advertised Wifi, but we tried many times to connect but it would just hang; I suspect it was that way most of the time. There were only a few guests, so I doubt it was because of someone on Hulu. We have tablet/laptop. Not everyone accesses the web by their cell provider.
3) TV. There are some lodges/inns that seem to think people are fine without a decent TV. I think that should be the person's choice, not the owner. Americans watch a ton of TV, and I see no reason to cheap out on this. Personally, I would never never never stay anywhere without one. If "too loud" most TVs have a hidden hotel mode that allows you to set the max volume.
I understand some of the negative reviews on yelp or TA. Some owners seem to be squeezing every penny and missing the pounds..
agree on the TVs. We added TVs to 6 rooms. The PO didn't want them.
We added wifi and two boosters.
We also added air conditioning. Might want that on the list.

I understand some of the negative reviews on yelp or TA. Some owners seem to be squeezing every penny and missing the pounds..
TheBeachHouse said:
Here, AC is not an option it is a must!
When we first opened 16yr ago and created our 1st brochure we listed lots of amenities including ceiling fans. Got lots of calls wondering if we had AC. We didn't think!!! We took for granted. Learned quickly never take anything for granted. List it all!

Nightstands. I knew I was missing something. 2 of them. Within actual reach of the bed. ;-).
I hate when there is only one nightstand. Where am people supposed to put their:
Glasses
Tablet/Kindle/Book
Glass of Water
Sleeping Pills (Foam orange ones... for the ears!)
Etc.
Jon Sable said:
I hate when there is only one nightstand. Where am people supposed to put their:
Glasses
Tablet/Kindle/Book
Glass of Water
Sleeping Pills (Foam orange ones... for the ears!)
Etc.
That is why I am having a bookcase headboard made - WITH a "lip" around the top to keep stuff from rolling off into the bed or behind it. The back will have a sort of "splash board with a Gillum House logo in the center to keep things from behind the bed. I got 2 cordless led lamps with bendable necks that are "touch" for 3 settings of light so one can read without disturbing the other. I have nightstands now that make it wall-to-door with NO more space than a sheet of paper on each side. I make sure guests know this is a "temporary" until the headboard comes.

TheBeachHouse said:
When we first opened 16yr ago and created our 1st brochure we listed lots of amenities including ceiling fans. Got lots of calls wondering if we had AC. We didn't think!!! We took for granted. Learned quickly never take anything for granted. List it all!
Copperhead said:
TheBeachHouse said:
We get lots of people asking if we have parking. Similarly, we never thought of parking as a perk, but it is to people coming from cities. So we now list free parking.

TheBeachHouse said:
Copperhead said:
TheBeachHouse said:
We get lots of people asking if we have parking. Similarly, we never thought of parking as a perk, but it is to people coming from cities. So we now list free parking.
Funny. I booked the hotel and they listed free parking. They were in the middle of nowhere. So I asked them, does anyone charge for parking around here? And got a blank look.
Major city folks are so used to parking garages and meters, that free parking is definitely something that crosses their mind...

2cat_lady said:
Jon Sable said:
No. I make this silly assumption that as adults they can manage to finish one box before the next. I do the same with toilet paper. I'm not doing that hide the end of the TP thing. Sorry.

2cat_lady said:
Jon Sable said:
Not sure I would want to use a box of tissues left out for prior guests.
When I get a room, I want clean room, clean towels/bedding, and don't want to share soaps, dispensers or similar items used by others.
Same concern some people have about using wall mounted soap/shampoo. How do you know it is clean/has not been tampered with?

2cat_lady said:
Jon Sable said:
When I get a room, I want clean room, clean towels/bedding, and don't want to share soaps, dispensers or similar items used by others.
Same concern some people have about using wall mounted soap/shampoo. How do you know it is clean/has not been tampered with?
You're joking right? Hotels change the toilet paper and tissues out after every guest? They don't even wash the bedding!

2cat_lady said:
Jon Sable said:
You're joking right? Hotels change the toilet paper and tissues out after every guest? They don't even wash the bedding!
*sigh* The expose that motels/hotels only laundered the bedspread/blanket once every 4 months? Apparently some people remove the blankets and bring their own.
My plan is to put very small toilet paper rolls in (replace) after each guest. You can get a 6 pack for $1 at Dollar stores. They are small, but should be adequate for a day or two (and put second roll in bathroom, in case).
I am planning to advertise at least a couple of rooms as hypoallergenic, and I don't want to share any tissues or toilet paper across guests. No pets in those rooms, no rugs, bedding that is hypoallergenic, etc.
That is becoming a significant competitive advantage.

2cat_lady said:
Jon Sable said:
*sigh* The expose that motels/hotels only laundered the bedspread/blanket once every 4 months? Apparently some people remove the blankets and bring their own.
My plan is to put very small toilet paper rolls in (replace) after each guest. You can get a 6 pack for $1 at Dollar stores. They are small, but should be adequate for a day or two (and put second roll in bathroom, in case).
I am planning to advertise at least a couple of rooms as hypoallergenic, and I don't want to share any tissues or toilet paper across guests. No pets in those rooms, no rugs, bedding that is hypoallergenic, etc.
Expose? No. Observation. And any place that has those shiny dry clean only comforters? They've never been washed.
Glasses? Coffee cups? Washed in the sink. Not very well, either.
Just look at the cleaning cart. If it's not on the cart it's not being changed. Ever.
That's more to worry about than a box of tissues.
Then again, if we worried about everything we'd never leave home.

2cat_lady said:
Jon Sable said:
Expose? No. Observation. And any place that has those shiny dry clean only comforters? They've never been washed.
Just look at the cleaning cart. If it's not on the cart it's not being changed. Ever.
Morticia said:
That's how I feel. I can't worry that someone sat in the plane seat before me or even on the waiting room chair in the Doctor's office.
We leave the toilet paper until it gets pretty small. And we only change the tissue box when it is empty. I never thought that a previously used tissue box would offend.
I do have friends who are very germ-phobic. I will ask them if it bugs them.

2cat_lady said:
Jon Sable said:
Morticia said:
That's how I feel. I can't worry that someone sat in the plane seat before me or even on the waiting room chair in the Doctor's office.
We leave the toilet paper until it gets pretty small. And we only change the tissue box when it is empty. I never thought that a previously used tissue box would offend.
I do have friends who are very germ-phobic. I will ask them if it bugs them.
There's a kiosk for ordering your sandwich here at the airport. How many people whipped out the hand sanitizer after placing their order? Actually quite a few. And they offered it to me. I should have used it before touching the screen. Cough. Cough.

2cat_lady said:
Jon Sable said:
Those that would be that concerned over using the same box of tissue as the previous guest would bring their own.
wink_smile.gif
The tissue inside are not contaminated, toss the exposed one if you must and carry on.
What would be your plans for the open unused boxes after each guest?

2cat_lady said:
Jon Sable said:
Seriously? Why would someone touch what's in the dispenser? Do you expect them to throw out the salt and pepper shakers at restaurants and put in all new salt and pepper just for you?
You give humanity very little credit. The point of dispensers is so that you get what you need, no need to touch what's inside or worse, to waste.
What are you going to do, put in new door handles, tv remotes and toilet handles each time you get a new guest?

Back