What every guest room should have

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Okay, must put second box of tissues in the room.
Am working on the comfy chairs, one room at a time. Like some here, I have space issues, so there can be only one comfy chair.
DND signs? Hmmmm. If I don't see them leave, I don't go in but I could miss someone. I'll have to get some.
Each room has a mini fridge underneath one of the two night stands in the room. DH built all the furniture, so the fridge fits underneath perfectly. And , the night stands are a nice height so that you can place a beverage by your bedside, level with the bed. Arks, it does make a little noise. Some are fine with it. Once in awhile I find it unplugged. No big deal.
Tri-light lamps on either side of bed within reach.
Can I take a retest in a couple of weeks?.
2cat_lady said:
We have them in the room, not the bathroom. Funny how here in our guest rooms one box of tissues last forever, I feel like I am always using them when I stay at a hotel or B&B...
It depends on the season. When they get near the end I like to put a second box under the first box.
Unless, of course three rooms decide to steal your special Christmas decor tissues when they leave.
Jon Sable said:
It depends on the season. When they get near the end I like to put a second box under the first box.
Unless, of course three rooms decide to steal your special Christmas decor tissues when they leave.
oh how did I know we would hear about them, those people have no idea what they have done! haha
You put a second box under the first, you don't just take the first away when it is near empty?
Not sure I would want to use a box of tissues left out for prior guests.
When I get a room, I want clean room, clean towels/bedding, and don't want to share soaps, dispensers or similar items used by others.
Same concern some people have about using wall mounted soap/shampoo. How do you know it is clean/has not been tampered with?
You're joking right? Hotels change the toilet paper and tissues out after every guest? They don't even wash the bedding!
*sigh* The expose that motels/hotels only laundered the bedspread/blanket once every 4 months? Apparently some people remove the blankets and bring their own.
My plan is to put very small toilet paper rolls in (replace) after each guest. You can get a 6 pack for $1 at Dollar stores. They are small, but should be adequate for a day or two (and put second roll in bathroom, in case).
I am planning to advertise at least a couple of rooms as hypoallergenic, and I don't want to share any tissues or toilet paper across guests. No pets in those rooms, no rugs, bedding that is hypoallergenic, etc.
That is becoming a significant competitive advantage.
Those that would be that concerned over using the same box of tissue as the previous guest would bring their own.
wink_smile.gif
The tissue inside are not contaminated, toss the exposed one if you must and carry on.
What would be your plans for the open unused boxes after each guest?
It only seems funny, if one does not think about it:
http://www.cleanlink.com/hs/article/Reducing-CrossContamination-Of-Toilet-Tissue--16435
"Gerba and his research team found that after flushing, these microbes settle on surfaces throughout the restroom, particularly within three feet of the toilet. Obviously, toilet tissue dispensers fall into this vicinity. In fact, in another project, Gerba and his team found toilet tissue dispensers had 150 times more bacteria than toilet seats.

Am working on the comfy chairs, one room at a time. Like some here, I have space issues, so there can be only one comfy chair.
DND signs? Hmmmm. If I don't see them leave, I don't go in but I could miss someone. I'll have to get some.
Each room has a mini fridge underneath one of the two night stands in the room. DH built all the furniture, so the fridge fits underneath perfectly. And , the night stands are a nice height so that you can place a beverage by your bedside, level with the bed. Arks, it does make a little noise. Some are fine with it. Once in awhile I find it unplugged. No big deal.
2cat_lady said:
We have them in the room, not the bathroom. Funny how here in our guest rooms one box of tissues last forever, I feel like I am always using them when I stay at a hotel or B&B...
Jon Sable said:
oh how did I know we would hear about them, those people have no idea what they have done! haha
You put a second box under the first, you don't just take the first away when it is near empty?
When I get a room, I want clean room, clean towels/bedding, and don't want to share soaps, dispensers or similar items used by others.
Same concern some people have about using wall mounted soap/shampoo. How do you know it is clean/has not been tampered with?
You're joking right? Hotels change the toilet paper and tissues out after every guest? They don't even wash the bedding!
*sigh* The expose that motels/hotels only laundered the bedspread/blanket once every 4 months? Apparently some people remove the blankets and bring their own.
My plan is to put very small toilet paper rolls in (replace) after each guest. You can get a 6 pack for $1 at Dollar stores. They are small, but should be adequate for a day or two (and put second roll in bathroom, in case).
I am planning to advertise at least a couple of rooms as hypoallergenic, and I don't want to share any tissues or toilet paper across guests. No pets in those rooms, no rugs, bedding that is hypoallergenic, etc.
Those that would be that concerned over using the same box of tissue as the previous guest would bring their own.
wink_smile.gif
The tissue inside are not contaminated, toss the exposed one if you must and carry on.
http://www.cleanlink.com/hs/article/Reducing-CrossContamination-Of-Toilet-Tissue--16435
"Gerba and his research team found that after flushing, these microbes settle on surfaces throughout the restroom, particularly within three feet of the toilet. Obviously, toilet tissue dispensers fall into this vicinity. In fact, in another project, Gerba and his team found toilet tissue dispensers had 150 times more bacteria than toilet seats.
undersea said:
I think it is brilliant.
I saw one study about lint in your jeans pocket being the most microbe festering places, worse than anything in a bedroom or bathroom.

2cat_lady said:
Jon Sable said:
wink_smile.gif
Yep, that is why in season an innkeeper does not know what a "full" roll looks like in the owner's bathroom. We do fresh roll if it looks 1/2 or less. Low volume tissue boxes get the same - OQ.

2cat_lady said:
Jon Sable said:
Seriously? Why would someone touch what's in the dispenser? Do you expect them to throw out the salt and pepper shakers at restaurants and put in all new salt and pepper just for you?
You give humanity very little credit. The point of dispensers is so that you get what you need, no need to touch what's inside or worse, to waste.
What are you going to do, put in new door handles, tv remotes and toilet handles each time you get a new guest?
Jon Sable said:
Seriously? Why would someone touch what's in the dispenser? Do you expect them to throw out the salt and pepper shakers at restaurants and put in all new salt and pepper just for you?
Have you ever thought about how many hands have touched the salt and pepper shakers? It's not the salt or pepper that would make you sick, it's the shaker outside. Just sayin. . .

We had all that, except a shared guest fridge in our main house for 2 rooms and it was out in the hall way landing. The noisiest small fridge I had was one of those cube type fridges, but it was in a cabinet which helped.
I guess you could go with the very attractive and rough hospital size boxes of facial tissues. That would solve the perceived contamination problem and they could take the box home. Haha.... Of course, you have no clue about what goes on in the production of those type items...they're not sterile, for goodness sake.

2cat_lady said:
Jon Sable said:
You give humanity very little credit. The point of dispensers is so that you get what you need, no need to touch what's inside or worse, to waste.
What are you going to do, put in new door handles, tv remotes and toilet handles each time you get a new guest?
Jon Sable said:
Have you ever thought about how many hands have touched the salt and pepper shakers? It's not the salt or pepper that would make you sick, it's the shaker outside. Just sayin. . .
Ice said:
Have you ever thought about how many hands have touched the salt and pepper shakers? It's not the salt or pepper that would make you sick, it's the shaker outside. Just sayin....
Oh, I know that...
We were once someplace where the rice caked up. We suggested adding rice. They said they weren't allowed because it could bring in bacteria... but nothing can live in salt...

This article claims 12 things every hotel room should have.
http://thepointsguy.com/2013/10/top-12-things-that-should-be-in-every-hotel-room/
http://www.aluxurytravelblog.com/2014/06/24/10-things-every-luxury-hotel-room-should-have/
http://www.cntraveler.com/stories/2013-06-20/18-things-hotels-could-do-to-be-truly-brilliant
I particularly agree with the following:
- Multiple outlets near the bed to charge their electronics
- A luggage rack to help avoid bed bugs - I know 2 families that got hit with bed bug infestations. Very expensive to treat.
- probably a safe (bolted down). They point out that many people travel with important docs - passports, etc. Also, big enough for a laptop.
- hair dryer
- bathroom with dim setting, for late night use.
- Shower with strong water pressure, a shower head high enough that I needn't crouch, and a curtain that prevents the bathroom floor from flooding

http://thepointsguy.com/2013/10/top-12-things-that-should-be-in-every-hotel-room/
http://www.aluxurytravelblog.com/2014/06/24/10-things-every-luxury-hotel-room-should-have/
http://www.cntraveler.com/stories/2013-06-20/18-things-hotels-could-do-to-be-truly-brilliant
- A luggage rack to help avoid bed bugs - I know 2 families that got hit with bed bug infestations. Very expensive to treat.
- probably a safe (bolted down). They point out that many people travel with important docs - passports, etc. Also, big enough for a laptop.
- hair dryer
- Shower with strong water pressure, a shower head high enough that I needn't crouch, and a curtain that prevents the bathroom floor from flooding.
undersea said:
- Shower with strong water pressure, a shower head high enough that I needn't crouch, and a curtain that prevents the bathroom floor from flooding
It helps when people know to put the shower curtain INSIDE the tub! I am amazed at how many times I find the curtain outside the tub, sometimes still dripping water!
- sorry, rant over. Couldn't help myself!

- hair dryer
- Shower with strong water pressure, a shower head high enough that I needn't crouch, and a curtain that prevents the bathroom floor from flooding.
undersea said:
- hair dryer
all good additions to the list. we did put luggage racks in all rooms this year. I'm sure people will still use the bed. No safes. I wonder if that is something people miss. No plans to add them.
Yes on hair dryer, nightlights and good water pressure.

- hair dryer
undersea said:
It helps when people know to put the shower curtain INSIDE the tub! I am amazed at how many times I find the curtain outside the tub, sometimes still dripping water!
Glass enclosed showers...

- hair dryer
undersea said:
Do you have the shower curtain with outside curtain and inside liner? (wonder what everyone does).

- hair dryer
undersea said:
- hair dryer
all good additions to the list. we did put luggage racks in all rooms this year. I'm sure people will still use the bed. No safes. I wonder if that is something people miss. No plans to add them.
I wouldn't think a safe was a high priority for most inns. There are so many other things to spend money on. When guests don't even close their doors, they're not thinking of security measures.
But, golly, make sure they have tissues!
My list was just because I was sick, spending too much time in the room, and missing the things I mentioned.
I have a much longer, healthy list.

- hair dryer
undersea said:
Jon Sable said:
Yes! That's what we have. Much better.
One place this last week had a nice pink slime on the shower curtain. People! Of course, shower curtains were not on the cleaning cart so you had to bring it to their attention so they could go find one.

- hair dryer
undersea said:
- hair dryer
I wouldn't think a safe was a high priority for most inns. There are so many other things to spend money on. When guests don't even close their doors, they're not thinking of security measures.
But, golly, make sure they have tissues!
My list was just because I was sick, spending too much time in the room, and missing the things I mentioned.
I have a much longer, healthy list.
This is my thought as well, but DH differs. He keeps looking at them every time we go to a certain store.
I keep saying 'only 1 guest in the last 16 yrs have asked for one - one!'

- hair dryer
undersea said:
Jon Sable said:
Yes, they are nice to have. Especially if you have a full length shower. Some things we will leave for the next owner....

- hair dryer
undersea said:
Jon Sable said:
Yes! That's what we have. Much better.
One place this last week had a nice pink slime on the shower curtain. People! Of course, shower curtains were not on the cleaning cart so you had to bring it to their attention so they could go find one.
That is why I have the nylon liner to keep everything off the vinyl that keeps the water IN the shower but not touching (yuck) anyone. The nylon is pretty, easy to take down & toss in the wash, and makes an opening of the shower easy to clean.

Back