What is service?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
what is ota? I cannot figure it out. I know what you mean, but can't figure out the actual acronym.

what is ota? I cannot figure it out. I know what you mean, but can't figure out the actual acronym..
Other Travel Agencies as also OBA Other Booking Agencies. Trip Con ne ct, Air, Exped are OTAs
gillumhouse said:
Other Travel Agencies. Trip Con ne ct, Air, Exped are OTAs
Online Travel Agencies
Arks said:
gillumhouse said:
Other Travel Agencies. Trip Con ne ct, Air, Exped are OTAs
Online Travel Agencies
ooooohhhhhhhh
honestly, I never would have gotten it. Thank you. Now I can rest. :)

what is ota? I cannot figure it out. I know what you mean, but can't figure out the actual acronym..
Other Travel Agencies as also OBA Other Booking Agencies. Trip Con ne ct, Air, Exped are OTAs
gillumhouse said:
Actually Trip Connect is not an OTA. It set up through TA and connects TA to the individual property's personal reservation system.

gillumhouse said:
Actually Trip Connect is not an OTA. It set up through TA and connects TA to the individual property's personal reservation system.
Crap, now I cannot correct my misinformation. Thank you CH for correcting me. I do not use them and misunderstood. It is important for the correct info to be there. Thanks for catching it.

And when they are standing at the bakery counter and call us to ask what kind of bread we served them, we drop everything to go check.
And I mentioned a few weeks ago about the couple who called from another state asking where they should go for dinner.
And the couple who asked which of these 2 places would be the least crowded on a holiday got a list of places that would be less crowded than the 2 they chose.
But we either can't get reviews or we get 3/4 for service. Shake head.

Morticia said:
We are on site 24 hours for any problems that may arise or to answer questions about things to do and yet we still get lower marks than a hotel would get.
What gives?
Another one we discuss sometimes: the marks for value. We have lots of theories on why guests give 3 out of 5 on value even if they get a lot more than the same money would get them at a hotel.
Something dawned on me today that I don't remember seeing mentioned before as an explanation. I think some people won't vote our places as excellent values because they're afraid we'll raise the rates if we hear we're under priced for what we offer.

Morticia said:
We are on site 24 hours for any problems that may arise or to answer questions about things to do and yet we still get lower marks than a hotel would get.
What gives?
Another one we discuss sometimes: the marks for value. We have lots of theories on why guests give 3 out of 5 on value even if they get a lot more than the same money would get them at a hotel.
Something dawned on me today that I don't remember seeing mentioned before as an explanation. I think some people won't vote our places as excellent values because they're afraid we'll raise the rates if we hear we're under priced for what we offer..
Do you really think anyone gives it that deep thought?

Morticia said:
What gives?
Something dawned on me today that I don't remember seeing mentioned before as an explanation. I think some people won't vote our places as excellent values because they're afraid we'll raise the rates if we hear we're under priced for what we offer..
Morticia said:
As a tightwad, it occurred to me, and would occur to some other tightwads. I'm hesitant to tell a place where I shop that their prices are too low and I would have paid more.

Morticia said:
What gives?
Morticia said:
As a tightwad, it occurred to me, and would occur to some other tightwads. I'm hesitant to tell a place where I shop that their prices are too low and I would have paid more.
Arks said:
Morticia said:
I know we used to game the reviews at my place of employment. Never said we were 100% satisfied with everything. But I wouldn't think to check a box with less than 100% if I was happy with the service at a small mom & pop shop. I might leave it blank if I couldn't say 100% happy and the next choice was 75%.

It has been my experience that the essence of being a great host is showing your guests you care and that they are your number one concern. Basic service should be an automatic so the way to improve ratings id to WOW them.
Here are some ways that I have seen work.
  • Be and hire staff that can be empathetic with you guests. Have the appropriate systems and tools in place in order for them to deliver first class service. Empower them with confidence and authority to deal with complaints promptly.
  • Learn your guest’s names and use them. Also, teach your staff so that they can recognize and remember your loyal guests. This will form an immediate sense of hospitality that they'll certainly find flattering.
  • Once you have given decent time for your guests to settle in their room, the front desk should phone the guests to make sure everything is in order and acceptable. During this call you will be able to ask if there are any additional requests that may have been forgotten during check-in.
  • Be on hand in your hotel, and have personal contact with your guests to build rapport and confidence. Get to know and listen to your guests. They're far more likely to tell you what they want if they know you and what would encourage them to come back. If you know your guests, it’s easier for you to anticipate their needs and deliver it on a consistent basis to keep them satisfied.
  • Be flexible with your rules. Don’t be so constrained by your own rules that you can’t extend breakfast for a guest who may wish to sleep in or to extend a check out if someone has a late flight. Is this actually that big a problem if it means your guest enjoyed their stay and they tell others?
  • Leave Them With a Last Impression. Make certain they realise that you appreciate their business. An earnest “thank you” from you can go a long way. Give them a little memento from your property or region to take home with them as a lasting reminder.
  • Follow up with a written note sent to their home after their stay hoping they enjoyed their stay and asking for an excellent review. It only takes a few minutes and will be worth the rating. Most guests will only leave a comment if they have had a negative experience or if they have been WOW’d. Nothing wrong with prompting.
I am interested in your thoughts.

It has been my experience that the essence of being a great host is showing your guests you care and that they are your number one concern. Basic service should be an automatic so the way to improve ratings id to WOW them.
  • Be and hire staff that can be empathetic with you guests. Have the appropriate systems and tools in place in order for them to deliver first class service. Empower them with confidence and authority to deal with complaints promptly.
  • Learn your guest’s names and use them. Also, teach your staff so that they can recognize and remember your loyal guests. This will form an immediate sense of hospitality that they'll certainly find flattering.
  • Once you have given decent time for your guests to settle in their room, the front desk should phone the guests to make sure everything is in order and acceptable. During this call you will be able to ask if there are any additional requests that may have been forgotten during check-in.
  • Be on hand in your hotel, and have personal contact with your guests to build rapport and confidence. Get to know and listen to your guests. They're far more likely to tell you what they want if they know you and what would encourage them to come back. If you know your guests, it’s easier for you to anticipate their needs and deliver it on a consistent basis to keep them satisfied.
  • Be flexible with your rules. Don’t be so constrained by your own rules that you can’t extend breakfast for a guest who may wish to sleep in or to extend a check out if someone has a late flight. Is this actually that big a problem if it means your guest enjoyed their stay and they tell others?
  • Leave Them With a Last Impression. Make certain they realise that you appreciate their business. An earnest “thank you” from you can go a long way. Give them a little memento from your property or region to take home with them as a lasting reminder.
  • Follow up with a written note sent to their home after their stay hoping they enjoyed their stay and asking for an excellent review. It only takes a few minutes and will be worth the rating. Most guests will only leave a comment if they have had a negative experience or if they have been WOW’d. Nothing wrong with prompting.
I am interested in your thoughts..
AAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH - Keyst one Deve lop ment - yes. Since you signed in 30 weeks ago, that should be enough time for you to notice this is a group of B & Bs, not hotels. Most here do not have staff unless you count spouses and kids as staff.
Considering the fact your list reads to a "seasoned" group of professionals as if they were in kindergarten, my thought is that I am offended anyone would think any person on this forum needed a list like this re hospitality. Most of us are already grabbing ankles to please guests - because that is just what we do, not because we are told we should.

Boy buddy have you got a lot to learn! We bend over back wards so much I think most guest might see us a stepping mat.
Us small operators do far more then most motels or Hotels. We do so much more that is why some chain Hotel , Motels are matching us and trying to pull themselves off as a BED and A Breakfast. Heck they are even remolding their rooms to have duvets and soft pillows and mattress that you can actually sleep on.
BUT! Hotels still charge so much to a guest far more then any of us small operators do. Like bar fridge , . breakfast delivered to their doors. Your restaurants cost too much for the small breakfasts trays that you deliver. Your juice prices are unreal.
WIFA also cost money. In some cases hotels still charge to use the phones in the room. As a result us B&Bs are finding we work over time with no extra pay. Not like most of your staff( Hotels / Motels) does get paid for over time does It not??
I also have found that Hotel people have a different mind set compared to true B&B people. Those people ( Hotel) for the most are not used to a one on one contact . they receive a card with a number on it and must find their room by themselves also carry for the most part their bags to there room or must pay a porter to carry them . At a cost yet! You do not provide a service for free. We do !
Ok I will step back here. This is some thing I could write an essay on. The differences between most of us,and the hotel industry. My thoughts sir. You did ask.

Boy buddy have you got a lot to learn! We bend over back wards so much I think most guest might see us a stepping mat.
Us small operators do far more then most motels or Hotels. We do so much more that is why some chain Hotel , Motels are matching us and trying to pull themselves off as a BED and A Breakfast. Heck they are even remolding their rooms to have duvets and soft pillows and mattress that you can actually sleep on.
BUT! Hotels still charge so much to a guest far more then any of us small operators do. Like bar fridge , . breakfast delivered to their doors. Your restaurants cost too much for the small breakfasts trays that you deliver. Your juice prices are unreal.
WIFA also cost money. In some cases hotels still charge to use the phones in the room. As a result us B&Bs are finding we work over time with no extra pay. Not like most of your staff( Hotels / Motels) does get paid for over time does It not??
I also have found that Hotel people have a different mind set compared to true B&B people. Those people ( Hotel) for the most are not used to a one on one contact . they receive a card with a number on it and must find their room by themselves also carry for the most part their bags to there room or must pay a porter to carry them . At a cost yet! You do not provide a service for free. We do !
Ok I will step back here. This is some thing I could write an essay on. The differences between most of us,and the hotel industry. My thoughts sir. You did ask.
Do you have any idea how hard it was to NOT flag this as offensive? Only the fact it was my sensibilities and not the rules of the Forum that were being offended kept me from it.

Do you have any idea how hard it was to NOT flag this as offensive? Only the fact it was my sensibilities and not the rules of the Forum that were being offended kept me from it.
gillumhouse said:
thumbs_up.gif

Thanks for the feedback, I appreciate the fact that you are all passionate about the business.
The last thing I intended was to offend anyone and yes I spend much of my time dealing with independent hotels (not chain) but over the last 2 ½ decades I have stayed in and worked with 100’s of Bed & Breakfasts in both North America and Europe. The fact that you’re all so quick to respond tells me my suggestions are an automatic with you but unfortunately that is not the case everywhere.
I agree that hotels and B & B’s have their differences but if you break it down to the basics, a great organizational strategy and consistency is important to the success of any operation. This applies to any operation regardless of its size (1 -5-100 employees).
If you have a great organizational strategy and consistency, a B & B can always offer their guests a WOW factor as part of their day-to-day procedure, putting them ahead of their competition and feeling comfortable to ask for excellent reviews, to be proactive.

1. Staff? What staff? It's ME, ME, ME and if I'm not available... ME!
2. Forget learning their name. The names change daily. In fact the only names you really learn are the ones that are problematic... the guests you DON'T want.
3. No phones. No one needs a phone anymore, they have a mobile phone.
4. On hand? I live here.
5. Flexible? You mean just take what ever they gave you? I'm not a prostitute, I'm trying to run a business. If I did this I would be bankrupt. Especially since so many people don't want to keep their side of the deal.
6. Now you want me to run after guests with free gifts?
7. So after they leave, I need to run after them with email to? Great, I can't wait to see the email that says "keeps on harassing us, even after we left."
Let me guess... you have never run a B&B, right?

Back