What is service?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It has been my experience that the essence of being a great host is showing your guests you care and that they are your number one concern. Basic service should be an automatic so the way to improve ratings id to WOW them.
Here are some ways that I have seen work.
  • Be and hire staff that can be empathetic with you guests. Have the appropriate systems and tools in place in order for them to deliver first class service. Empower them with confidence and authority to deal with complaints promptly.
  • Learn your guest’s names and use them. Also, teach your staff so that they can recognize and remember your loyal guests. This will form an immediate sense of hospitality that they'll certainly find flattering.
  • Once you have given decent time for your guests to settle in their room, the front desk should phone the guests to make sure everything is in order and acceptable. During this call you will be able to ask if there are any additional requests that may have been forgotten during check-in.
  • Be on hand in your hotel, and have personal contact with your guests to build rapport and confidence. Get to know and listen to your guests. They're far more likely to tell you what they want if they know you and what would encourage them to come back. If you know your guests, it’s easier for you to anticipate their needs and deliver it on a consistent basis to keep them satisfied.
  • Be flexible with your rules. Don’t be so constrained by your own rules that you can’t extend breakfast for a guest who may wish to sleep in or to extend a check out if someone has a late flight. Is this actually that big a problem if it means your guest enjoyed their stay and they tell others?
  • Leave Them With a Last Impression. Make certain they realise that you appreciate their business. An earnest “thank you” from you can go a long way. Give them a little memento from your property or region to take home with them as a lasting reminder.
  • Follow up with a written note sent to their home after their stay hoping they enjoyed their stay and asking for an excellent review. It only takes a few minutes and will be worth the rating. Most guests will only leave a comment if they have had a negative experience or if they have been WOW’d. Nothing wrong with prompting.
I am interested in your thoughts..
1. Staff? What staff? It's ME, ME, ME and if I'm not available... ME!
2. Forget learning their name. The names change daily. In fact the only names you really learn are the ones that are problematic... the guests you DON'T want.
3. No phones. No one needs a phone anymore, they have a mobile phone.
4. On hand? I live here.
5. Flexible? You mean just take what ever they gave you? I'm not a prostitute, I'm trying to run a business. If I did this I would be bankrupt. Especially since so many people don't want to keep their side of the deal.
6. Now you want me to run after guests with free gifts?
7. So after they leave, I need to run after them with email to? Great, I can't wait to see the email that says "keeps on harassing us, even after we left."
Let me guess... you have never run a B&B, right?
I have actually operated both a B&B and a small hotel. This was part of my motivation to share information with independent operators.

Thanks for the feedback, I appreciate the fact that you are all passionate about the business.
The last thing I intended was to offend anyone and yes I spend much of my time dealing with independent hotels (not chain) but over the last 2 ½ decades I have stayed in and worked with 100’s of Bed & Breakfasts in both North America and Europe. The fact that you’re all so quick to respond tells me my suggestions are an automatic with you but unfortunately that is not the case everywhere.
I agree that hotels and B & B’s have their differences but if you break it down to the basics, a great organizational strategy and consistency is important to the success of any operation. This applies to any operation regardless of its size (1 -5-100 employees).
If you have a great organizational strategy and consistency, a B & B can always offer their guests a WOW factor as part of their day-to-day procedure, putting them ahead of their competition and feeling comfortable to ask for excellent reviews, to be proactive..
Might be somewhat different reaction if you would have left out the company information from your ID and signature.
Any advice or request from someone who embeds their product or service this way, automatically spells like free marketing seeker.

Thanks for the feedback, I appreciate the fact that you are all passionate about the business.
The last thing I intended was to offend anyone and yes I spend much of my time dealing with independent hotels (not chain) but over the last 2 ½ decades I have stayed in and worked with 100’s of Bed & Breakfasts in both North America and Europe. The fact that you’re all so quick to respond tells me my suggestions are an automatic with you but unfortunately that is not the case everywhere.
I agree that hotels and B & B’s have their differences but if you break it down to the basics, a great organizational strategy and consistency is important to the success of any operation. This applies to any operation regardless of its size (1 -5-100 employees).
If you have a great organizational strategy and consistency, a B & B can always offer their guests a WOW factor as part of their day-to-day procedure, putting them ahead of their competition and feeling comfortable to ask for excellent reviews, to be proactive..
Might be somewhat different reaction if you would have left out the company information from your ID and signature.
Any advice or request from someone who embeds their product or service this way, automatically spells like free marketing seeker.
That is a totally fair observation.
It has been many years since I worked both the B&B and hotel and to be honest, I didn’t really know what I was doing. It has been in the last 2 decades plus that I have been experiencing and sharing what other property professionals make work and I am looking forward to learning other best practices.

It has been my experience that the essence of being a great host is showing your guests you care and that they are your number one concern. Basic service should be an automatic so the way to improve ratings id to WOW them.
  • Be and hire staff that can be empathetic with you guests. Have the appropriate systems and tools in place in order for them to deliver first class service. Empower them with confidence and authority to deal with complaints promptly.
  • Learn your guest’s names and use them. Also, teach your staff so that they can recognize and remember your loyal guests. This will form an immediate sense of hospitality that they'll certainly find flattering.
  • Once you have given decent time for your guests to settle in their room, the front desk should phone the guests to make sure everything is in order and acceptable. During this call you will be able to ask if there are any additional requests that may have been forgotten during check-in.
  • Be on hand in your hotel, and have personal contact with your guests to build rapport and confidence. Get to know and listen to your guests. They're far more likely to tell you what they want if they know you and what would encourage them to come back. If you know your guests, it’s easier for you to anticipate their needs and deliver it on a consistent basis to keep them satisfied.
  • Be flexible with your rules. Don’t be so constrained by your own rules that you can’t extend breakfast for a guest who may wish to sleep in or to extend a check out if someone has a late flight. Is this actually that big a problem if it means your guest enjoyed their stay and they tell others?
  • Leave Them With a Last Impression. Make certain they realise that you appreciate their business. An earnest “thank you” from you can go a long way. Give them a little memento from your property or region to take home with them as a lasting reminder.
  • Follow up with a written note sent to their home after their stay hoping they enjoyed their stay and asking for an excellent review. It only takes a few minutes and will be worth the rating. Most guests will only leave a comment if they have had a negative experience or if they have been WOW’d. Nothing wrong with prompting.
1. Staff? What staff? It's ME, ME, ME and if I'm not available... ME!
2. Forget learning their name. The names change daily. In fact the only names you really learn are the ones that are problematic... the guests you DON'T want.
3. No phones. No one needs a phone anymore, they have a mobile phone.
4. On hand? I live here.
5. Flexible? You mean just take what ever they gave you? I'm not a prostitute, I'm trying to run a business. If I did this I would be bankrupt. Especially since so many people don't want to keep their side of the deal.
6. Now you want me to run after guests with free gifts?
7. So after they leave, I need to run after them with email to? Great, I can't wait to see the email that says "keeps on harassing us, even after we left."
Let me guess... you have never run a B&B, right?
I have actually operated both a B&B and a small hotel. This was part of my motivation to share information with independent operators.
When? Most B&Bs haven't had phones in at least 10 years. You are incredibly out of date. This is the day of the smart phone, they bring their home phone with them and want the wifi password so they can tell their friends that they arrived.
Even putting on a name tag isn't really about you or your name, it's a way to try to hold employees accountable. And employees at a B&B? Most of us can't hold on to any help anymore anyway. This isn't Jurassic Park.

Honey - hear this
(1) we have one member of staff and could do with one more doing a couple of hours sat and sunday mornings - do you think we can get one? where I am there are more jobs than unemployed people - we are importing people from spain to work in the hospitality industry and the kids like I was once who would have been happy to do it are now legally not allowed to do more than 2 hours on a sunday
(2) names - I run at 87% occupancy - can be a change every day - I remember regulars but I can't remember all the names it just aint going to happen.
(3) no phones in rooms - ripped them out 9 years ago - everyone has a mobile. plus they don't really want you to "check up" on them.
(4) I am always in contact with guests - light chatting so they realise we are people and not staff who care about them and their business - but its gaining a balance so they don't feel intruded upon.
(5) I am flexible - but the people you bend over backwards for rarely appreciate it - allowed a car to stay parked - was supposed to be 12pm and ended up being picked up at 5pm, when my check in guests wanted to park so inconvenienced them. Late check out's are fine if you havn't got the next guest chopping at the bit to get in - as most bb's rooms are individually decorated it means the guest may have booked a specific room so can't be moved. I allow it when I can but every time it has been abused - this is why we do free till 12 then £10 an hour after - its the only thing that gets them moving.
(6) we do free keyrings, coupon's on their receipt for their next stay and free postcards - I am not giving away the farm.
(7) reviews - to ask for one is fine - but we have had incidents lately of places pushing for reviews on every outlet - guests quite frankly are being harassed for reviews and not just from us from every part of the internet - you order anything and you are pestered to death for feedback - as a shopper of tons of things online never an hour goes by without an email for feeback and its leading to feedback fatigue which frankly isn't surprising.
The owners here are the crem de la crem of professionalism - its why they come here to constantly learn and improve. Yes there are many out there who are slack and need a kick but you won't find them here. Too many people have this "how hard can running a B&B be?" attitude and frankly with that attitude they are doomed to fail as they clearly havn't done their research!

Honey - hear this
(1) we have one member of staff and could do with one more doing a couple of hours sat and sunday mornings - do you think we can get one? where I am there are more jobs than unemployed people - we are importing people from spain to work in the hospitality industry and the kids like I was once who would have been happy to do it are now legally not allowed to do more than 2 hours on a sunday
(2) names - I run at 87% occupancy - can be a change every day - I remember regulars but I can't remember all the names it just aint going to happen.
(3) no phones in rooms - ripped them out 9 years ago - everyone has a mobile. plus they don't really want you to "check up" on them.
(4) I am always in contact with guests - light chatting so they realise we are people and not staff who care about them and their business - but its gaining a balance so they don't feel intruded upon.
(5) I am flexible - but the people you bend over backwards for rarely appreciate it - allowed a car to stay parked - was supposed to be 12pm and ended up being picked up at 5pm, when my check in guests wanted to park so inconvenienced them. Late check out's are fine if you havn't got the next guest chopping at the bit to get in - as most bb's rooms are individually decorated it means the guest may have booked a specific room so can't be moved. I allow it when I can but every time it has been abused - this is why we do free till 12 then £10 an hour after - its the only thing that gets them moving.
(6) we do free keyrings, coupon's on their receipt for their next stay and free postcards - I am not giving away the farm.
(7) reviews - to ask for one is fine - but we have had incidents lately of places pushing for reviews on every outlet - guests quite frankly are being harassed for reviews and not just from us from every part of the internet - you order anything and you are pestered to death for feedback - as a shopper of tons of things online never an hour goes by without an email for feeback and its leading to feedback fatigue which frankly isn't surprising.
The owners here are the crem de la crem of professionalism - its why they come here to constantly learn and improve. Yes there are many out there who are slack and need a kick but you won't find them here. Too many people have this "how hard can running a B&B be?" attitude and frankly with that attitude they are doomed to fail as they clearly havn't done their research!
when I'm in a hotel, I truly dislike the 'are you ok' call. I am surprised the hotels find it useful.

Honey - hear this
when I'm in a hotel, I truly dislike the 'are you ok' call. I am surprised the hotels find it useful.
It is timed perfectly for me to be 1 - in the bathroom or 2 - just dozing off for a quick nap. GO AWAY

Honey - hear this
We've had 2 Air guests in the past week. By noon on the day they leave we are being asked to write a review about them. Are you kidding me? I can still see their tail lights going down the driveway!
Give me a chance to check the state of the room!

Our front hall wows them as they walk in.... They walk in and says, "Wow! Look at this!" That's our call that the new guests are here for check in. The regulars call, "Hello, we're home!" We have a monitor in the front hall so we hear everything wherever we are and we can talk over it to them to let them know we are coming.
  • Yup! Done. The three of us are well seasoned in this. And the summer staff is learning.
  • Yup. Done. We write down all information in The Book. Computer can die next minute. We hand write their check in card and have them check it over to make sure its accurate. Not only do we know their name but also their town, state, etc.!
  • Nope! Won't do. They are on vacation. If they need something the card in their room will tell them we are glad to be of assistance to them. We walk them to their room and before leaving them to themselves we ask if they have any questions etc. and to feel free to contact us later on.
  • Yup. Done. 24/7 All our staff lives on location when they are working. We have 5 bedrooms just for us and our staff.
  • Nope. We "stick to our guns" about check in/ check out time. We will be happy to let them leave their car and suitcases on our property early or late. But not in the room. Out at eleven promptly. If they come early and the room is available fine but don't pout if its not! Rules are rules and are there for a reason.
  • Yup. Done. Disaster turns in our favor! Soon after we arrived, the database for the guests were wiped clean off the computer. Talk about trying not to point fingers and forgive whoever did it.... We were the only one with rooms so we specialized in taking our competitors overflow...and they keep coming back, so we must be doing something right! One couple just booked for three weekends this summer and told their friends to book here too. Now we (secretly gleefully) say, "Sorry, we are full, have you tried such and such place." Our apologies to our competitors.
  • Can't do...too busy helping the next set of guests enjoy their vacation. We ask if we can take pictures of them for our Facebook page and we keep in contact with our guests and their friends and family that wants to see everyone on vacation!
    wink_smile.gif
So those are my thoughts. Hope they were interesting to you

Morticia said:
We are on site 24 hours for any problems that may arise or to answer questions about things to do and yet we still get lower marks than a hotel would get.
What gives?
Another one we discuss sometimes: the marks for value. We have lots of theories on why guests give 3 out of 5 on value even if they get a lot more than the same money would get them at a hotel.
Something dawned on me today that I don't remember seeing mentioned before as an explanation. I think some people won't vote our places as excellent values because they're afraid we'll raise the rates if we hear we're under priced for what we offer..
Arks said:
Morticia said:
We are on site 24 hours for any problems that may arise or to answer questions about things to do and yet we still get lower marks than a hotel would get.
What gives?
Something dawned on me today that I don't remember seeing mentioned before as an explanation. I think some people won't vote our places as excellent values because they're afraid we'll raise the rates if we hear we're under priced for what we offer.
I think you might have a point there, Arks. Also, I hear so often that guests won't tell their friends where they had that fabulous time, because they don't want others to find us "because then it gets even more difficult to get in with you". Blah. thanks for that. Nice compliment but I can't buy bread for that.

Keystone HDC said:
I am interested in your thoughts.
ok, from where I sit, ALL of your points are what everyone should practice. It is second nature to us here. I actually don't have to pretend to be concerned about my guests. Each and everyone is my No.1 concern. I could not do it any other way.
We don't have staff, per se, the places that do have staff, would do well to train them in your image. It's the same in retail. I don't even go to stores any longer because of the uncaring attitude I get there.
There are some guests, though, who do not like talking to us, they want to be ignored and I think that the personal approach is what drives them to give the ratings they do give. Those peeps need to stay at a chain lodging for sure

Morticia said:
What gives?
Another one we discuss sometimes: the marks for value. We have lots of theories on why guests give 3 out of 5 on value even if they get a lot more than the same money would get them at a hotel.
Something dawned on me today that I don't remember seeing mentioned before as an explanation. I think some people won't vote our places as excellent values because they're afraid we'll raise the rates if we hear we're under priced for what we offer..
Arks said:
Morticia said:
What gives?
Something dawned on me today that I don't remember seeing mentioned before as an explanation. I think some people won't vote our places as excellent values because they're afraid we'll raise the rates if we hear we're under priced for what we offer.
I think you might have a point there, Arks. Also, I hear so often that guests won't tell their friends where they had that fabulous time, because they don't want others to find us "because then it gets even more difficult to get in with you". Blah. thanks for that. Nice compliment but I can't buy bread for that.
I know - you can feel the steam coming out of your ears!
But then I have others who bring me every waif and stray they come across from whatever event they are at and expect me to find somewhere for them! - its to much of one and not enough of the other!

Honey - hear this
We've had 2 Air guests in the past week. By noon on the day they leave we are being asked to write a review about them. Are you kidding me? I can still see their tail lights going down the driveway!
Air sure gets that review request out quickly. I just did a test for an air review. Where they ask for you to leave private feedback, I asked nicely for an additional TA review. Just read the very positive review they did there in addition to the Air one. So I'll put that request in the private review box going forward. Putting the 'plague room' on Air has been a win for us this year.

Honey - hear this
Air sure gets that review request out quickly. I just did a test for an air review. Where they ask for you to leave private feedback, I asked nicely for an additional TA review. Just read the very positive review they did there in addition to the Air one. So I'll put that request in the private review box going forward. Putting the 'plague room' on Air has been a win for us this year.
Yes, the plague room. Altho if the folks were already willing to stay in someone's spare room, this isn't so bad.

I don't know what people are expecting in the way of service. Is it that we are being too critical about the reviews?
Know this, what you and so many others offer cannot be achieved by any motel or hotel. The peace, quiet, the beautiful surroundings, the beautifully kept homes, you all offer, the food and thoughts you put into making your guests feel comfortable are unsurpassed by any of the above-mentioned lodgings.
I am slowly, slowly understanding what the reviews for my place really mean. I am not happy the way some of them are worded. I am no longer offended when it says "it's not luxury..." but that's not what they were sold either..
Iris said:
I am slowly, slowly understanding what the reviews for my place really mean. I am not happy the way some of them are worded. I am no longer offended when it says "it's not luxury..." but that's not what they were sold either.
Yes, what it is with some descriptions that make it sound like we said it was going to be X but it's really Y?
We've had comments about the breakfast not being gourmet, as if we said it was.
Funny thing is, this whole rating thing is exactly like it was at work before we came here. Gomez and I both did tons of things that weren't standard for our pay ranks because we always help where we can. Did we get credit? No. And Gomez lost his job because he was helpful to other people instead of screwing them over the way his manager wanted him to. (Lesson to anyone - if you can't be the jerk your boss wants you to be, find another job. Better than selling your soul.)
"comments about the breakfast not being gourmet," got that. Guests wanted to eat 1/2 hour earlier than the normal crowd because they had to catch a plane: baked dish not ready, but I scrambled eggs, toast, bacon, fruit, bb muffins. My response is that our breakfast is meant to be "traditional" not "gourmet".

My thoughts are ... well, read below. Better put by the others.

I don't know what people are expecting in the way of service. Is it that we are being too critical about the reviews?
Know this, what you and so many others offer cannot be achieved by any motel or hotel. The peace, quiet, the beautiful surroundings, the beautifully kept homes, you all offer, the food and thoughts you put into making your guests feel comfortable are unsurpassed by any of the above-mentioned lodgings.
I am slowly, slowly understanding what the reviews for my place really mean. I am not happy the way some of them are worded. I am no longer offended when it says "it's not luxury..." but that's not what they were sold either..
Iris said:
I am slowly, slowly understanding what the reviews for my place really mean. I am not happy the way some of them are worded. I am no longer offended when it says "it's not luxury..." but that's not what they were sold either.
Yes, what it is with some descriptions that make it sound like we said it was going to be X but it's really Y?
We've had comments about the breakfast not being gourmet, as if we said it was.
Funny thing is, this whole rating thing is exactly like it was at work before we came here. Gomez and I both did tons of things that weren't standard for our pay ranks because we always help where we can. Did we get credit? No. And Gomez lost his job because he was helpful to other people instead of screwing them over the way his manager wanted him to. (Lesson to anyone - if you can't be the jerk your boss wants you to be, find another job. Better than selling your soul.)
"comments about the breakfast not being gourmet," got that. Guests wanted to eat 1/2 hour earlier than the normal crowd because they had to catch a plane: baked dish not ready, but I scrambled eggs, toast, bacon, fruit, bb muffins. My response is that our breakfast is meant to be "traditional" not "gourmet".
We are the same - traditional breakfast plus I always say it is all on our web site with every cooked and buffet item on our web site if there is something you would like that is not on there please let us know.
For example we do porridge - but we had a lady this weeks who has dead plane porridge oats - the complete unadulterated stuff at home - luckily DH had some in for his latest health kick and she was super pleased as the regular stuff was too sweet for her.

Keystone HDC said:
I am interested in your thoughts.
ok, from where I sit, ALL of your points are what everyone should practice. It is second nature to us here. I actually don't have to pretend to be concerned about my guests. Each and everyone is my No.1 concern. I could not do it any other way.
We don't have staff, per se, the places that do have staff, would do well to train them in your image. It's the same in retail. I don't even go to stores any longer because of the uncaring attitude I get there.
There are some guests, though, who do not like talking to us, they want to be ignored and I think that the personal approach is what drives them to give the ratings they do give. Those peeps need to stay at a chain lodging for sure
Hello Iris,
I totally agree.
The service should be automatic but I have seen many cases when it’s not even a consideration. Being able to read your guests and using common sense is something else I have seen some owners struggle with.
I respect those on this forum who are willing to discuss their views.
Thanks

Back