What is the Scam???

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Beachhouse, don't let JB get to you. (I don't think she understood the question you were really asking)
We get legitimate e-mail reservation requests all the time. And we get phone calls, too. Even though they are on our website, many of these people don't book their stay through our online reservation system - they prefer to e-mail or call us. I would say that by far most of our business comes in by e-mail.
JB, yes we get plenty of scam e-mails, too. Generally not hard to figure out and ignore.

Silver, You don't have to take advice from me, I'm semi new here. But as a traveler, if I tried to make a reservation to a place that only took cash, I would change my mind. You should consider the advantages of taking cards. The bank can set you up. It is really easy, safer and more 'mainstream.'.
Yes, I know that and have weighed the pros and cons. Since this is our 25th year running this business and we are small and seasonal, I have opted for one more year of cash/check instead of on-line booking with card. One of the things it does do is to cull the casual traveler who has not taken the time to explore the lodging in the area. We are fortunate to have a unique location and well established reputation both on line and with the local Chambers so those folks who bother to check have assurance that we are on the up and up. Still, I am sure that we lose a lot of business, people like you, who want to pay with plastic.
And before I start a war here on the forum...I am not advocating that others follow my lead. If we were just starting out we surely would go mainstream with on-line booking and credit cards. Or at leas the credit card part. By speaking to each guest we do feel that we are able to "weed" out the guests who are not a good fit and would be happier in another hotel, motel or B+B.
Silverspoon said:
Yes, I know that and have weighed the pros and cons. Since this is our 25th year running this business and we are small and seasonal, I have opted for one more year of cash/check instead of on-line booking with card. One of the things it does do is to cull the casual traveler who has not taken the time to explore the lodging in the area. We are fortunate to have a unique location and well established reputation both on line and with the local Chambers so those folks who bother to check have assurance that we are on the up and up. Still, I am sure that we lose a lot of business, people like you, who want to pay with plastic.
And before I start a war here on the forum...I am not advocating that others follow my lead. If we were just starting out we surely would go mainstream with on-line booking and credit cards. Or at leas the credit card part. By speaking to each guest we do feel that we are able to "weed" out the guests who are not a good fit and would be happier in another hotel, motel or B+B.
Makes sense. If it ain't broke, no need to fix it. :) BH

Beachhouse, don't let JB get to you. (I don't think she understood the question you were really asking)
We get legitimate e-mail reservation requests all the time. And we get phone calls, too. Even though they are on our website, many of these people don't book their stay through our online reservation system - they prefer to e-mail or call us. I would say that by far most of our business comes in by e-mail.
JB, yes we get plenty of scam e-mails, too. Generally not hard to figure out and ignore..
Harborfields said:
JB, yes we get plenty of scam e-mails, too. Generally not hard to figure out and ignore.
Unfortunately, you say that and yet many innkeepers are sucked into them. They do not realize the signs of a fraudulent email. It happens often, sadly to say.

If you have online reservations, let them reserve online..
Joey Bloggs said:
If you have online reservations, let them reserve online.
we do. but we get emails often as well. don't you?
TheBeachHouse said:
Joey Bloggs said:
I have been getting these emails for over 10 years...different typos, none of them ADDRESSED to MY B&B NAME.
That is the first clue. Check the "TO:" second clue, they say "Facility" they say 8 days or more, some 2 or 3 weeks" another clue. Last they ask for a total of how much it will be.
If you are on our website, you see HOW MUCH the room(s) are. If you want to MAKE A RESERVATION, go ahead an MAKE A RESERVATION.
Joey Bloggs said:
TheBeachHouse said:
Joey Bloggs said:
I have been getting these emails for over 10 years...different typos, none of them ADDRESSED to MY B&B NAME.
That is the first clue. Check the "TO:" second clue, they say "Facility" they say 8 days or more, some 2 or 3 weeks" another clue. Last they ask for a total of how much it will be.
If you are on our website, you see HOW MUCH the room(s) are. If you want to MAKE A RESERVATION, go ahead an MAKE A RESERVATION.
I often feel like the responses I get here assume I am an imbecile. I am not. My question was, do you never get emails - some legit? Do you always ignore them? We instituted on line reservations within weeks of taking over the business. We continue to get emails and phone calls even though we have on line reservations. We do not feel as though we can afford to retort to a caller, "Use your computer." We feel as though good service includes answering questions, whether or not we feel like it at that moment.
I have gotten some real help from this website, but I often feel like the stupid kid. Is it necessary?
TheBeachHouse said:
Joey Bloggs said:
TheBeachHouse said:
Joey Bloggs said:
I often feel like the responses I get here assume I am an imbecile. I am not. My question was, do you never get emails - some legit? Do you always ignore them? We instituted on line reservations within weeks of taking over the business. We continue to get emails and phone calls even though we have on line reservations. We do not feel as though we can afford to retort to a caller, "Use your computer." We feel as though good service includes answering questions, whether or not we feel like it at that moment.
I have gotten some real help from this website, but I often feel like the stupid kid. Is it necessary?
Please understand that for every person actually speaking here, there are many who are just reading/learning. THAT is why some answers sound as if they are instructional - they are, not necessarily for YOU but often for others reading. Since we have new lurkers all the time, we may repeat something that was answered before.
As for the question of e-mail requests that are legit? I have had some but so few over the years (since 1996) that I am not worried that I may have deleted a legit e-mail. I prefer to lose a night or two to losing my computer and giving up my address book and giving up everyone there. I get mostly calls and online.

Joey Bloggs said:
TheBeachHouse said:
Joey Bloggs said:
I get tons of emails. And to be honest, less than maybe 5% of them turn into reservations and if they do, they do it from our replies that send them back to the website where we offer a discount not offered anywhere else.
Almost 100% of emails address to us without forms from people who have never stayed with us before are FAKE. I say almost 100% only because I think I might have had one that wasn't.
Almost 90% of the emails address to us with forms other than our own, don't result in reservations. Most of the time these are reservations that are based on price and only price. They go through a website and fill in the form for EVERY B&B. I'm not selling price, I'm selling my service and my breakfast... they are going to book at whoever gives them the cheapest price and it won't be me. (From one website, almost every single request is for my best room in the summer, 2 days before arrival and asking for the winter price. The room has been booked for 2 months already and they paid full price, without discounting!)
Of the emails that I receive from our form, a certain percentage ask us for price. Since they often don't communicate enough details for us to give them one, we send them back to the reservation system. Those who do communicate enough information will get back a price noting that the discount for booking online and that prices are 10% more if booked elsewhere.
In the last 6 years, I have had just TWO reservations pay me the extra 10% to book via the telephone. Both didn't know how to use a computer at all. Not really my clientele. One was a royal PITA and the other... just plain odd.

Joey Bloggs said:
TheBeachHouse said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Joey Bloggs said:
TheBeachHouse said:
Joey Bloggs said:
50% of our reservations are still from callers or folks who contact us via email. It's possible it's our market or maybe my website isn't clear about how to book your own room.
The emails that pertain to guests wanting 4 rooms for 10 days for their family (names always listed) are never legit. I don't open most emails with ' booking' in the subject line. Or all caps. Or from Yahoo accounts.
There are a few other 'flag' words that I've gotten used to seeing on spam email subject lines.
Lots of guests want to talk with the innkeeper or don't want to put their info on the internet so they call or email. For us, like I said, it's 50%.

Joey Bloggs said:
TheBeachHouse said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Joey Bloggs said:
TheBeachHouse said:
Joey Bloggs said:
50% of our reservations are still from callers or folks who contact us via email. It's possible it's our market or maybe my website isn't clear about how to book your own room.
The emails that pertain to guests wanting 4 rooms for 10 days for their family (names always listed) are never legit. I don't open most emails with ' booking' in the subject line. Or all caps. Or from Yahoo accounts.
There are a few other 'flag' words that I've gotten used to seeing on spam email subject lines.
Lots of guests want to talk with the innkeeper or don't want to put their info on the internet so they call or email. For us, like I said, it's 50%.
Madeleine said:
I am in a similar market (as you know.) Makes sense. My husband will spend hours explaining the features of each room over the phone or on email.
We simply don't respond to the scammy ones.

Don't we give out our bank details every time we write a check?
Also, as I understand it, bank transfers are the standard way to pay for vacation rentals, etc..., in Europe, so it is understandable how someone coming from a European country might want ask if they could pay by that means..
as a European - no we wouldn't cos USA banks are notorious the world over for being crap at dealing with anything like that plus there is a massive charge $100 + to send money that way to the USA plus the exchange rate completely fluctuates - everyone has a visa or mastercard so we would pay that way.
Most accommodation of any type in the UK at least some parts of Europe are different but we expect a card to hold the room its that simple.

Also, as I understand it, bank transfers are the standard way to pay for vacation rentals, etc..., in Europe, so it is understandable how someone coming from a European country might want ask if they could pay by that means..
Harborfields said:
Also, as I understand it, bank transfers are the standard way to pay for vacation rentals, etc..., in Europe, so it is understandable how someone coming from a European country might want ask if they could pay by that means.
From what I have seen on other Forums inhabited by a lot of South Africa, Aussie, and /NZ, they are the ones that use bank transfers.
IF I were to use the bank transfer route, I would have an account that had the minimum $$ in it to keep it open and used for nothing else. Then if that account got hit, I would not be out anything big.

Joey Bloggs said:
TheBeachHouse said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Joey Bloggs said:
TheBeachHouse said:
Joey Bloggs said:
TheBeachHouse said:
I often feel like the responses I get here assume I am an imbecile. I am not....I have gotten some real help from this website, but I often feel like the stupid kid. Is it necessary?
I have no idea what Beach House is taking offense with here! This was obviously taken the wrong way. JB's response seems perfectly normal and helpful. Beach House's response kind of comes out of the blue, in my opinion.

Over the past couple of years, I can only remember 1 or 2 reservations that originated by an e-mail. Generally, they ask very broad questions like "do you have any availability in March?". At that point, I send them back an e-mail with a link to our reservation system explaining we have different rooms and rates and it's easier for them to figure out what's available by using our calendar.
We do get frequent phone calls, and I'm happy to speak with them and help them, but I then tell them I'm not in my office right now and would they be comfortable making their reservation online (they're almost always on our website already). 99.9% say yes. I also offer to walk them through it over the phone if they have any hesitation.
I want all my reservations to have read and agreed to my policies, and having them do it online is the way to accomplish it. This has worked very well for us. It has eliminated so many problems!

Over the past couple of years, I can only remember 1 or 2 reservations that originated by an e-mail. Generally, they ask very broad questions like "do you have any availability in March?". At that point, I send them back an e-mail with a link to our reservation system explaining we have different rooms and rates and it's easier for them to figure out what's available by using our calendar.
We do get frequent phone calls, and I'm happy to speak with them and help them, but I then tell them I'm not in my office right now and would they be comfortable making their reservation online (they're almost always on our website already). 99.9% say yes. I also offer to walk them through it over the phone if they have any hesitation.
I want all my reservations to have read and agreed to my policies, and having them do it online is the way to accomplish it. This has worked very well for us. It has eliminated so many problems!.
Breakfast Diva said:
I want all my reservations to have read and agreed to my policies, and having them do it online is the way to accomplish it. This has worked very well for us. It has eliminated so many problems!
This, I think, reflects one of the differences in the market. When I ask if the caller has access to the internet or have they looked at our website, half of them don't know we have a website. (They got the phone number from some other website, a map or from some other source.) The other half are looking at our site.
I can make the rez online for them and ask the appropriate questions about if they understand the policies and then tick the box. Generally speaking, here, if I let them go without getting their info they don't book online. If I say I'm not home and they can use the website to book their own room most of them never do. (I never see that phone number in a rez or the name they gave on the phone.)
It seems this might be a New England thing. I don't know too many other inns where half of their business is still done over the phone.
Also a concern now is if they search for my website they are going to get booking first in the list and there goes all my chatting on the phone selling them to another company that did nothing but pay to use my name in adwords. But we've been down this road before.

I want all my reservations to have read and agreed to my policies, and having them do it online is the way to accomplish it. This has worked very well for us. It has eliminated so many problems!.
Breakfast Diva said:
This, I think, reflects one of the differences in the market. When I ask if the caller has access to the internet or have they looked at our website, half of them don't know we have a website. (They got the phone number from some other website, a map or from some other source.) The other half are looking at our site.
I can make the rez online for them and ask the appropriate questions about if they understand the policies and then tick the box. Generally speaking, here, if I let them go without getting their info they don't book online. If I say I'm not home and they can use the website to book their own room most of them never do. (I never see that phone number in a rez or the name they gave on the phone.)
It seems this might be a New England thing. I don't know too many other inns where half of their business is still done over the phone.
Also a concern now is if they search for my website they are going to get booking first in the list and there goes all my chatting on the phone selling them to another company that did nothing but pay to use my name in adwords. But we've been down this road before.
I'm getting half of my bookings from the phone as well. Midwest, not many B&B's here and not much B&B "culture"

Breakfast Diva said:
I don't know too many other inns where half of their business is still done over the phone.
Probably more than half of my reservations come over the phone. I will never get rid of the online reservation system because it brings in enough to more than pay for itself AND if I am not able to get to a computer, I can ask them to book online. There is a lot of WV that does not have Internet available - seriously. Especially high speed there is even more that do not. I know one person who told me they are a couple hundred yards too far up the holler. There are also a lot of areas that have no cell service. So phone reservations are probably 75% of my business.

Joey Bloggs said:
TheBeachHouse said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Joey Bloggs said:
TheBeachHouse said:
Joey Bloggs said:
TheBeachHouse said:
I often feel like the responses I get here assume I am an imbecile. I am not....I have gotten some real help from this website, but I often feel like the stupid kid. Is it necessary?
I have no idea what Beach House is taking offense with here! This was obviously taken the wrong way. JB's response seems perfectly normal and helpful. Beach House's response kind of comes out of the blue, in my opinion.
Arks said:
TheBeachHouse said:
I probably should let it go, but I will explain. Since I joined, I've been told several times that my 'methods' won't take. I think because the market is so different. In my town there are dozens of B&Bs. And no hotels.
Anyway here is what I perceived - my Q - how does this scam work? A - they ask for cash.....
Ok, all good. Then - don't answer emails - let them use on line. So my response - I do use on line but emails are important to us - don't you get any? Her response (in my perception) was to reiterate in caps (forum shouting) how to spot scam emails. As though I didn't get it the first time. Nothing about whether she receives any legit emails looking for info.
Add that minor slight (my perception) to the fact that we've been moving, setting up house, starting a business, gutting the kitchen and having the worst winter in years.....maybe I'm sensitive. It's possilbe. And for that, I do apologize. I have gotten a lot of good, useful information from this group. It's a great place for ideas. I don't want to screw up my welcome. JB, I am sorry that I misread your intent. I'm actuall a very nice person in person. Some of my other on line friends call me Polly-Anna because I come off as always happy.
Anyway, we will continue to ignore the broken English long term emails and we will continue to respond to the ones that look legit. And we won't refund cash.

Joey Bloggs said:
TheBeachHouse said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Joey Bloggs said:
TheBeachHouse said:
Joey Bloggs said:
TheBeachHouse said:
Arks said:
TheBeachHouse said:
I probably should let it go, but I will explain. Since I joined, I've been told several times that my 'methods' won't take. I think because the market is so different. In my town there are dozens of B&Bs. And no hotels.
Anyway here is what I perceived - my Q - how does this scam work? A - they ask for cash.....
Ok, all good. Then - don't answer emails - let them use on line. So my response - I do use on line but emails are important to us - don't you get any? Her response (in my perception) was to reiterate in caps (forum shouting) how to spot scam emails. As though I didn't get it the first time. Nothing about whether she receives any legit emails looking for info.
Add that minor slight (my perception) to the fact that we've been moving, setting up house, starting a business, gutting the kitchen and having the worst winter in years.....maybe I'm sensitive. It's possilbe. And for that, I do apologize. I have gotten a lot of good, useful information from this group. It's a great place for ideas. I don't want to screw up my welcome. JB, I am sorry that I misread your intent. I'm actuall a very nice person in person. Some of my other on line friends call me Polly-Anna because I come off as always happy.
Anyway, we will continue to ignore the broken English long term emails and we will continue to respond to the ones that look legit. And we won't refund cash.
Thank you TBH. No I wasn't yelling, YELLING WOULD HAVE BEEN IN ALL CAPS LIKE THIS! WITH ONE OF THESE!! OR TWO!!! IN THE SAME SENTENCE.
I was empha"sizing" which is easier to use CAPS on an ipad vs hit on than select hold copy paste for bold, etc.
My reply was for anyone who gets these emails, of which I had about three just today.
Innkeepers bite, they take the bait, we may not fall for it, but for every innkeeper who posts here there are TEN (emphasizing that number) who lurk and read only.
Not everyone has the ability to bounce ideas off other innkeepers like we do on this forum, there are dozens of innkeepers I have known who have fallen for this scam. really. they fell. they got sucked in and through there was a real person and real reservation.
If you were here a few years ago you would have heard about the parrot scam...we get all types, we share them here.
I truly did not mean to offend or belittle you in any way, I think you are awesome and your input is awesome.
heart.gif

Joey Bloggs said:
TheBeachHouse said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Joey Bloggs said:
TheBeachHouse said:
Joey Bloggs said:
TheBeachHouse said:
Arks said:
TheBeachHouse said:
Thank you TBH. No I wasn't yelling, YELLING WOULD HAVE BEEN IN ALL CAPS LIKE THIS! WITH ONE OF THESE!! OR TWO!!! IN THE SAME SENTENCE.
I was empha"sizing" which is easier to use CAPS on an ipad vs hit on than select hold copy paste for bold, etc.
My reply was for anyone who gets these emails, of which I had about three just today.
Innkeepers bite, they take the bait, we may not fall for it, but for every innkeeper who posts here there are TEN (emphasizing that number) who lurk and read only.
Not everyone has the ability to bounce ideas off other innkeepers like we do on this forum, there are dozens of innkeepers I have known who have fallen for this scam. really. they fell. they got sucked in and through there was a real person and real reservation.
If you were here a few years ago you would have heard about the parrot scam...we get all types, we share them here.
I truly did not mean to offend or belittle you in any way, I think you are awesome and your input is awesome.
heart.gif

heart.gif
back atcha! :)

Bringing this thread back to the topic of scams -
Here is one of the latest - Calls that ring once (or 1 1/2 in order for caller id to register) then hang up. They have been coming in quite frequently here lately up to 3-4 times a day now.
We have discussed missed calls before, some stating if they just missed the call they may call the # back. If they allowed it to ring 4-5 times or until the answer system picks up, that would be fine.
But if you don't know or if it is a 1+ ring, do not return the call. The scam is this: they are hoping for you to return the call, the call is forwarded to an overseas call in which YOU are billed and they use your number to make more calls on your $.

I was made aware of this scam while reading a horror story from a customer of V er izon who was billed over $500 for international calls.

It drives me crazy when I dial a wrong number, realize it and hang up, then soon the people call me back and ask what I wanted. Why do people do this?! If you get an aborted call, consider it a blessing! You don't have to waste time on it!

It drives me crazy when I dial a wrong number, realize it and hang up, then soon the people call me back and ask what I wanted. Why do people do this?! If you get an aborted call, consider it a blessing! You don't have to waste time on it!.
You aren't going to like my answer... because it's rude. You called, it rang on my side, the decent thing is to apologize for disturbing someone.
Do you knock on doors and run away as well?

Back