What is the Scam???

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bringing this thread back to the topic of scams -
Here is one of the latest - Calls that ring once (or 1 1/2 in order for caller id to register) then hang up. They have been coming in quite frequently here lately up to 3-4 times a day now.
We have discussed missed calls before, some stating if they just missed the call they may call the # back. If they allowed it to ring 4-5 times or until the answer system picks up, that would be fine.
But if you don't know or if it is a 1+ ring, do not return the call. The scam is this: they are hoping for you to return the call, the call is forwarded to an overseas call in which YOU are billed and they use your number to make more calls on your $.

I was made aware of this scam while reading a horror story from a customer of V er izon who was billed over $500 for international calls..
Also happening... 2 rings, hang up, but they are using the 800# and are making money by just calling.
Phone company refuses to help us. We are paying for these calls and the scammers are being paid to make them.
Getting rid of the 800# this year.

It drives me crazy when I dial a wrong number, realize it and hang up, then soon the people call me back and ask what I wanted. Why do people do this?! If you get an aborted call, consider it a blessing! You don't have to waste time on it!.
I'm amazed how many people call back demanding who we are and yelling at us to stop calling them. Geez it was a mistake. You never make mistakes?
Just got my new health insurance card. It has a Dr's phone number on it. I called the number and got the voice mail for a decorating service. Looked the number up by the Dr's name and it's the right phone number!
How am I supposed to call this Dr?
I left a message the second time I called apologizing for calling again as this is the phone number for the Dr I am trying to reach. Nothing. I can't imagine this person doesn't get called plenty.

It drives me crazy when I dial a wrong number, realize it and hang up, then soon the people call me back and ask what I wanted. Why do people do this?! If you get an aborted call, consider it a blessing! You don't have to waste time on it!.
You aren't going to like my answer... because it's rude. You called, it rang on my side, the decent thing is to apologize for disturbing someone.
Do you knock on doors and run away as well?
Sugar Bear said:
You aren't going to like my answer... because it's rude. You called, it rang on my side, the decent thing is to apologize for disturbing someone.
I can handle your answer, while disagreeing with it. If I dial a number then realize it's wrong, I'll hang up so the phone stops ringing before the old lady I miss-dialed has to make her way to the phone, just so I can apologize for my miss-dial. I think continuing to ring the phone would be rude, and I wouldn't blame her for slamming the phone down in my ear if I did it.
And yes, if I walk up to a house, knock, then realize I've got the wrong address, I probably wouldn't just stand there and wait for them to come to the door so I can inform them that I have nothing much to say to them. If they open the door before I get to the street, of course I'll explain and apologize for the disturbance. After that, they'll just have to tough it out.

Sugar Bear said:
I can handle your answer, while disagreeing with it. If I dial a number then realize it's wrong, I'll hang up so the phone stops ringing before the old lady I miss-dialed has to make her way to the phone, just so I can apologize for my miss-dial. I think continuing to ring the phone would be rude, and I wouldn't blame her for slamming the phone down in my ear if I did it.
And yes, if I walk up to a house, knock, then realize I've got the wrong address, I probably wouldn't just stand there and wait for them to come to the door so I can inform them that I have nothing much to say to them. If they open the door before I get to the street, of course I'll explain and apologize for the disturbance. After that, they'll just have to tough it out.
Well, your number appears on the caller-ID, so just politely explain the error and it's done. There is no way to tell if it's an error or if something happened.

I get lots of those calls on our 800#. Phone company says they can do nothing about it. As soon as I answer the phone they either hang up or say nothing. In my area if I hang up and then pick up the phone for a dial tone and then push #01# and hang up---that number cannot call me for 30 days. It is blocked. At least that cuts down on some of them for awhile.

I was asked about this, and told about the reporting thing, etc. We were having dinner and I saw a local #. I picked it up, waiting for about 10 calls to return. It is a woman, wants to know what is for dinner. I went through the whole routine, no they are closed, no it has nothing to do with us, we area B&B..etc and she says "When did they close?" I am standing at the table with my fork in my hand... "I don't know they were just closed one day" "Well why did they close?"
I sat down and said "Why I don't answer the phone much..." and finished my cold dinner.
I am answering every call right now, have irons in the fire, and boy what a waste of time this is!

I was asked about this, and told about the reporting thing, etc. We were having dinner and I saw a local #. I picked it up, waiting for about 10 calls to return. It is a woman, wants to know what is for dinner. I went through the whole routine, no they are closed, no it has nothing to do with us, we area B&B..etc and she says "When did they close?" I am standing at the table with my fork in my hand... "I don't know they were just closed one day" "Well why did they close?"
I sat down and said "Why I don't answer the phone much..." and finished my cold dinner.
I am answering every call right now, have irons in the fire, and boy what a waste of time this is!.
and we always try to be polite.
hey, I'm blaming everything on the polar vortex, too!

I am answering every call right now, have irons in the fire, and boy what a waste of time this is!.
Madeleine said:
http://www.pinterest.com/pin/82612974389124403/

Madeleine said:
http://www.pinterest.com/pin/82612974389124403/
good one!

BEWARE....new scam tome from Joni Berrisdord. Something to do with bad things happened to family in Ukraine. Desperately need money, I imagine.

Sugar Bear said:
Then don't try this!

I was trying to remember the phone number to dial for it read back your number (I was rewiring). My attempt got routed to 911. I said "sorry, I didn't mean to call" and hung up. 4 minutes later sheriff was at my door and wanted to see all family members.

Sugar Bear said:
Then don't try this!

I was trying to remember the phone number to dial for it read back your number (I was rewiring). My attempt got routed to 911. I said "sorry, I didn't mean to call" and hung up. 4 minutes later sheriff was at my door and wanted to see all family members.
BTDT and got the call back. You don't hang up on E911 so easily.

Sugar Bear said:
Then don't try this!

My grandson dialed 911 and my daughter did the same thing... Sorry, the kid called, no problem here.
Yup, the police were at the door asking her to step outside, who else was in the house, how many kids, they wanted to see all of them.

We should always be cautious of what we buy in some people who sells stuff door to door for there are lots of rip-off artists. Learn more about summer scam.

Back