What's for breakfast?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a few go-to breakfasts and some items that I can prepare and have in the freezer ready in case I have a bad day or a light day. But often breakfast will rely on what is in season. What I get in my CSA basket. What I can get cheaply at the market and is in season. What I can get cheaply at the Cost Club.
That said, there are a few specialties that I prepare because of my heritages... where my family is from and where I live. So, I may make cheese blintzes or vegetable quiche. And I may use more floral items (coriander) or things that not everyone uses, like the garlic plant.
In my head there are about 25 different dishes that I rotate throughout the year. When someone stays 14 days, we make sure that we don't repeat, but after 14 days, we allow ourselves to repeat. We also don't use very much meat because we get many vegetarians, and others with dietary restrictions against meat or pork.
I can tell you the one thing you never get by me... scrambled eggs, bacon, hash browns, a sad tomato and some baked beans. Doesn't sell well and it's too difficult to produce.

My breakfasts have evolved in the past 10 years and it's partly because I got bored with some dishes and partly because I saw what was hard to serve/hold and what had the most coming back or guests asking for something else when it was served to them.
For example, I used to do a baked blueberry french toast dish but it was very heavy for guests to eat and there was more waste as about half the portion came back. Same thing for the cinnamon raisin french toast bake. I never do those anymore, stopped about 6 years ago as it was driving me crazy when they'd look less than perfect and dry out as they waited for an hour to be served. Now I do more pancake and french toast breakfasts, as well as stuffed crepes with a homemade blueberry sauce. I used to use french toast bread but found it boring so now I use challah for all french toast dishes. I cook all pancakes and french toast as guests sit while the crepes are great for a full house because once made I can keep them all warm in the warming drawer.
I also used to do a take on eggs benedict but it was made with english muffins, fresh spinach leaves and egg salad which was then covered in fontina cheese and toasted. YUM, but as we got busier cooking and peeling almost 60 eggs then turning it into egg salad was a ton of work so I stopped that one too. I don't miss decorating 36 english muffins with perfect spinach leaves before placing on the egg mixture. I love eggs benedict and recently had just one couple during the week. I asked what their favorite dish was so I could make it for them. They wanted eggs benedict so I made it for them with my homemade hollandaise and treated my husband and I to it. But this is one dish that several people wouldn't eat because of the runny yolk and were sending it back so I don't do it unless requested (and I don't typically take requests).
Baked egg dishes in ramekins with various ingredients are easy, as well as frittatas. Both are gluten free so it covers those guests as well. If I don't have any GF guests, I will do a caramelized onion and smoked provolone quiche that is amazing but again I don't plan on it because sometimes the GF guests don't inform me until they get here. But I'm going to try a baked egg ramekin dish this week with all the same ingredients so I'll have a GF version.
I also get some great ideas from Pinterest. I then tweak those recipes to fit my needs and tastes. And I never make anything spicy for breakfast..
How do you do egg dishes in ramekins for a full house? I'd love to try some new oven egg dishes but you can't really hot hold then for 2 hours.
We serve from 8:30 to 9:30 so I have the ramekins set to come out just after 8:30 while guests are enjoying the first course. I have a warming drawer but they are never held more than 55 minutes or so - not sure what they'd be like after 2 hours. Make one next time you have something in the oven and let it sit the two hours and see if you'd be happy serving it.
MtnKeeper said:
We serve from 8:30 to 9:30 so I have the ramekins set to come out just after 8:30 while guests are enjoying the first course. I have a warming drawer but they are never held more than 55 minutes or so - not sure what they'd be like after 2 hours. Make one next time you have something in the oven and let it sit the two hours and see if you'd be happy serving it.
That's the unfortunate part about quiche. It does sit for 2 hours waiting for the stragglers. It's generally done just before 8 and some may not eat it until 9:45. Partly why we stopped making most oven dishes.
Morticia said:
Partly why we stopped making most oven dishes.
For that kind of stuff, I would prefer something in individual crocks, that were ready to pop in or perhaps partly cooked (if dish is appropriate). I never plan to have anything sit once it is cooked. At Chinese buffets (that offer it), I always load up a plate with the veggies/meats/sauces I want and they will cook it on some kind of "drum" in front of me. Stuff sitting out is usually cold and often mushy/unappetizing.
undersea said:
Morticia said:
For that kind of stuff, I would prefer something in individual crocks, that were ready to pop in or perhaps partly cooked (if dish is appropriate). I never plan to have anything sit once it is cooked. At Chinese buffets (that offer it), I always load up a plate with the veggies/meats/sauces I want and they will cook it on some kind of "drum" in front of me. Stuff sitting out is usually cold and often mushy/unappetizing.
The problem we have with 'baking to order' is the time. No one wants to wait for something to bake after they sit down. That's why we've gone away from baked breakfast and have moved to 95% 'cooked when guest sits down' style.
That's why I asked mtn how she did the ramekins. If it was something we could try I'd like to expand the repertoire with some more egg dishes. But our serving time frame doesn't allow.
As it is, we started breakfast today at 7:30 and I'm still waiting for the last room.

My breakfasts have evolved in the past 10 years and it's partly because I got bored with some dishes and partly because I saw what was hard to serve/hold and what had the most coming back or guests asking for something else when it was served to them.
For example, I used to do a baked blueberry french toast dish but it was very heavy for guests to eat and there was more waste as about half the portion came back. Same thing for the cinnamon raisin french toast bake. I never do those anymore, stopped about 6 years ago as it was driving me crazy when they'd look less than perfect and dry out as they waited for an hour to be served. Now I do more pancake and french toast breakfasts, as well as stuffed crepes with a homemade blueberry sauce. I used to use french toast bread but found it boring so now I use challah for all french toast dishes. I cook all pancakes and french toast as guests sit while the crepes are great for a full house because once made I can keep them all warm in the warming drawer.
I also used to do a take on eggs benedict but it was made with english muffins, fresh spinach leaves and egg salad which was then covered in fontina cheese and toasted. YUM, but as we got busier cooking and peeling almost 60 eggs then turning it into egg salad was a ton of work so I stopped that one too. I don't miss decorating 36 english muffins with perfect spinach leaves before placing on the egg mixture. I love eggs benedict and recently had just one couple during the week. I asked what their favorite dish was so I could make it for them. They wanted eggs benedict so I made it for them with my homemade hollandaise and treated my husband and I to it. But this is one dish that several people wouldn't eat because of the runny yolk and were sending it back so I don't do it unless requested (and I don't typically take requests).
Baked egg dishes in ramekins with various ingredients are easy, as well as frittatas. Both are gluten free so it covers those guests as well. If I don't have any GF guests, I will do a caramelized onion and smoked provolone quiche that is amazing but again I don't plan on it because sometimes the GF guests don't inform me until they get here. But I'm going to try a baked egg ramekin dish this week with all the same ingredients so I'll have a GF version.
I also get some great ideas from Pinterest. I then tweak those recipes to fit my needs and tastes. And I never make anything spicy for breakfast..
How do you do egg dishes in ramekins for a full house? I'd love to try some new oven egg dishes but you can't really hot hold then for 2 hours.
MtnKeeper said:
That's the unfortunate part about quiche. It does sit for 2 hours waiting for the stragglers. It's generally done just before 8 and some may not eat it until 9:45. Partly why we stopped making most oven dishes.
Morticia said:
Unless you're serving everyone at the same time, you are going to have items sit, probably an hour and if you're offering a longer timeframe for breakfast then more than that. I can have 18 guests and they come spread out over the hour that we serve. Or I can have everything ready at 8:30 and they all sit within a couple minutes. And I've also had (typical on rainy days) all 18 guests not come to sit until after 9:15. That means the dish that was ready at 8:30 for everyone has been being held for 45 minutes and then a little longer while they have their first course. If an egg dish takes 30 minutes to cook, you can't put it in the oven when the guests arrive, guests will never wait that long.

It really depends on a variety of factors. What is your niche? What's your ability? What's your budget? Who is your guest?.
I am a pretty skilled cook and can make just about anything. I would like my breakfast to be memorable. I always like to try new things. I want to go for seasonality and farmers market if I can although I know that will bring the budget up. I don't know the current demographics on guests but should have access to that soon. It will take me awhile to find my niche and build that base so I need to think about the current guests who seem to be a mix of tourists and college visits.
Thanks for telling me about your experience!
It sounds like starting off in transition mode would be the right thing to do. Make what they make to get started and then choose a short stretch in the near future where you do your thing. Plan and organize three or four days where you make what you envision. Having a small block will help manage your planning, testing, and food usage. That specialty item that you bought can work on day one and day four.
About memorable.... that is a niche we have successfully developed. It will require a lot of development and getting outside of the comfort zone of your guests. It is very worth it. You can not just go to the farmers market and call that memorable. You can't just add a slice of mango and call it memorable. You have to develop a philosophy of food that carries over to your marketing and attracts guests that want that. It impacts what you charge. It becomes a brand with soul and heart.

I have a few go-to breakfasts and some items that I can prepare and have in the freezer ready in case I have a bad day or a light day. But often breakfast will rely on what is in season. What I get in my CSA basket. What I can get cheaply at the market and is in season. What I can get cheaply at the Cost Club.
That said, there are a few specialties that I prepare because of my heritages... where my family is from and where I live. So, I may make cheese blintzes or vegetable quiche. And I may use more floral items (coriander) or things that not everyone uses, like the garlic plant.
In my head there are about 25 different dishes that I rotate throughout the year. When someone stays 14 days, we make sure that we don't repeat, but after 14 days, we allow ourselves to repeat. We also don't use very much meat because we get many vegetarians, and others with dietary restrictions against meat or pork.
I can tell you the one thing you never get by me... scrambled eggs, bacon, hash browns, a sad tomato and some baked beans. Doesn't sell well and it's too difficult to produce..
Jon Sable said:
What I get in my CSA basket.
Confederate States of America?
shades_smile.gif

MtnKeeper said:
Morticia said:
undersea said:
Morticia said:
The problem we have with 'baking to order' is the time. No one wants to wait for something to bake after they sit down. That's why we've gone away from baked breakfast and have moved to 95% 'cooked when guest sits down' style.
That's why I asked mtn how she did the ramekins. If it was something we could try I'd like to expand the repertoire with some more egg dishes. But our serving time frame doesn't allow.
As it is, we started breakfast today at 7:30 and I'm still waiting for the last room.
Morticia said:
No one wants to wait for something to bake after they sit down. That's why we've gone away from baked breakfast and have moved to 95% 'cooked when guest sits down' style.
That is where I was going. "Baked" does not always mean an hour. Needs to be 5-10 minutes. I usually cook something ahead, part way, and then finish it in a hot oven in a crock. Most of the time, they are individual portions. Even a quality toaster oven, which heats really quickly. If the crock is kept hot, even quicker.

MtnKeeper said:
Morticia said:
undersea said:
Morticia said:
Morticia said:
That's why I asked mtn how she did the ramekins. If it was something we could try I'd like to expand the repertoire with some more egg dishes.
I'm pretty sure one of our chefs does baked eggs partway, then finishes them off when the folks sit down to eat. In individual ramekins. I will ask her about the timing.

I can tell you the one thing you never get by me... scrambled eggs, bacon, hash browns, a sad tomato and some baked beans. Doesn't sell well and it's too difficult to produce..
Jon Sable said:
shades_smile.gif

Community Supported Agriculture.... the Organic farmer that we and many others support by guaranteeing him an income for his wares. He brings a basket of organic vegetables weekly and we get our "share" of them. You quickly learn how to use things you haven't bought before, because your share includes them... so chard, garlic scape, kholrabi, turnip, squash, black radish, herbs and other items are fresh but you don't know what you get and when, it all depends on what's harvested that week. You can get more or less depending on how the crop does and what he's planted to optimize his fields.
I have no control over the vegetables all summer, so when we pick up the basket is when we can start to look and plan.

MtnKeeper said:
Morticia said:
undersea said:
Morticia said:
Morticia said:
That's why I asked mtn how she did the ramekins. If it was something we could try I'd like to expand the repertoire with some more egg dishes.
I'm pretty sure one of our chefs does baked eggs partway, then finishes them off when the folks sit down to eat. In individual ramekins. I will ask her about the timing.
muirford said:
Morticia said:
Thanks!

Jon Sable said:
shades_smile.gif

Community Supported Agriculture.... the Organic farmer that we and many others support by guaranteeing him an income for his wares. He brings a basket of organic vegetables weekly and we get our "share" of them. You quickly learn how to use things you haven't bought before, because your share includes them... so chard, garlic scape, kholrabi, turnip, squash, black radish, herbs and other items are fresh but you don't know what you get and when, it all depends on what's harvested that week. You can get more or less depending on how the crop does and what he's planted to optimize his fields.
I have no control over the vegetables all summer, so when we pick up the basket is when we can start to look and plan.
I see farm cooperatives, but few in my area. I wanted to support local, but there is little here. Stuck wit Walmart and grocers for almost everything.
Had a dream of farm to table, but the 15 acre property fell through

Keep it traditional, recognizable, but on the light side, with lots of things to choose. Make it fresh or make it easy to hold. Never meat in the main dish. Deep dish gooey bakes always come back half eaten and after an hour on the buffet they become glutenous blobs; crust becomes soggy cardboard. I want guest to feel that they had a great breakfast, but still be hungry at lunch time. I don't talk about calories with guests ... it may be a more sensitive subject than sex ... but I aim to serve a full breakfast that comes in between 600 and 900 calories, with the variable being their use of butter on toast, 2 eggs or 1, take that 3rd piece of bacon?
And, on the subject, one of my aspiring advisers told me that the innkeeper can't eat the inn's breakfast, and don't touch the leftovers! She gained 20 pounds in her first year..
Tom said:
And, on the subject, one of my aspiring advisers told me that the innkeeper can't eat the inn's breakfast, and don't touch the leftovers! She gained 20 pounds in her first year.
Not so! After gaining the 10#s we made a conscious effort to upgrade our offerings and continue to eat what we serve. Many more vegetables, small lean homemade meat portions, and mostly whole grains have transformed our old style breakfasts into what our guests crave- a great breakfast with lower carbs, whole grains, fresh fruit and vegetables, zero processed foods, with just a touch of decadence.
Well, that is the direction to go in! Be mindful of the wholesomeness of your food and you benefit yourself and guests.

Keep it traditional, recognizable, but on the light side, with lots of things to choose. Make it fresh or make it easy to hold. Never meat in the main dish. Deep dish gooey bakes always come back half eaten and after an hour on the buffet they become glutenous blobs; crust becomes soggy cardboard. I want guest to feel that they had a great breakfast, but still be hungry at lunch time. I don't talk about calories with guests ... it may be a more sensitive subject than sex ... but I aim to serve a full breakfast that comes in between 600 and 900 calories, with the variable being their use of butter on toast, 2 eggs or 1, take that 3rd piece of bacon?
And, on the subject, one of my aspiring advisers told me that the innkeeper can't eat the inn's breakfast, and don't touch the leftovers! She gained 20 pounds in her first year..
Tom said:
And, on the subject, one of my aspiring advisers told me that the innkeeper can't eat the inn's breakfast, and don't touch the leftovers! She gained 20 pounds in her first year.
Not so! After gaining the 10#s we made a conscious effort to upgrade our offerings and continue to eat what we serve. Many more vegetables, small lean homemade meat portions, and mostly whole grains have transformed our old style breakfasts into what our guests crave- a great breakfast with lower carbs, whole grains, fresh fruit and vegetables, zero processed foods, with just a touch of decadence.
Well, that is the direction to go in! Be mindful of the wholesomeness of your food and you benefit yourself and guests.
and a significant benefit to the businesses bottom line instead of my bottom line.

Jon Sable said:
shades_smile.gif

I see farm cooperatives, but few in my area. I wanted to support local, but there is little here. Stuck wit Walmart and grocers for almost everything.
Did you try http://www.localharvest.org/csa/ ?

Jon Sable said:
shades_smile.gif

Yea a few weeks ago, but the few around us are not particularly close or helpful. But thanks. There are several farmer's markets, but very small and 15 miles+ away and not really interested in other people's baked goods.
Once I get rolling, I was considering seeing about organizing a cooperative or farmer's market. Obviously this may take a year+ There are several Amish communities like 50 miles away that are possible producers.

MtnKeeper said:
Morticia said:
undersea said:
Morticia said:
Morticia said:
muirford said:
Morticia said:
Thanks!
muirford said:
Question answered - if she's doing baked eggs for a crowd (up to 16), she prebakes them for about 10 minutes, and then back in the oven for 5 to 10 when they sit down. At 350 degrees. That's in individual ramekins, on a bed of spinach and mushrooms with a little cheese sprinkled on top for the second baking. You can add a splash of cream or half/half to the egg as well.

Jon Sable said:
I can tell you the one thing you never get by me... scrambled eggs, bacon, hash browns, a sad tomato and some baked beans. Doesn't sell well and it's too difficult to produce.
Funny. Shows you need to know your market. We do scrambled eggs and bacon almost every day. People love it. We vary it with baked eggs every few days and sausage.

Jon Sable said:
shades_smile.gif

Jon Sable said:
Love you! Mean it! But your headbanger avatar is driving me crazy. (short trip, I realize.)

Morticia said:
We do a baked egg basket in muffin tin. Bread on the bottom, a bacon wrap, cheese, then the egg. They hold for two hours in a serving tray.

I have a friend who puts out several juices. We did for awhile, but are back to just orange and V-8.
She would set out orange, cranberry, apple, pomegranate, prune, tomato....

Back