Whole House Rentals

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The local innkeepers have all told me, "never take the bride!" I get it, but she does still need a place to stay, right?.
TheBeachHouse said:
The local innkeepers have all told me, "never take the bride!" I get it, but she does still need a place to stay, right?
You can take the bride, just be prepared for the entourage.
They help themselves to whatever is left out, they think you're a handmaiden to the bride, whatever the bride thinks she wants you're expected to fetch it. There are 27 of them in the entourage.
You will open the door 50 times and close it 50 times (because their hands are full and their brains are empty), you will clean up whatever mess they leave behind at 3pm when they dash off because the rooms have to be ready when they come back and they've been in them all day. (You will clean them because you'll be shocked at the mess they left and never thought to mention.)
You'll learn to provide tarps for your floors because the hair spray doesn't come out, nor does the nail polish and/or remover.
You'll have emergency sewing kits on hand because buttons will pop off and hems will get stepped on and torn.
You'll be prepared to rearrange your furniture because 'it doesn't look right for the photos'.
You'll be prepared for all the wedding guests to drop in to see the couple in the morning and then help themselves to your buffet.
You'll be prepared with an answer when the roses aren't in bloom on that day, when it is suggested that providing lunch would be a great help and oh, another couple of pots ofcoffee, if you don't mind. Yes. Now.
And you will recommend, as graciously as possible, that given the amount of money they are spending, they might want to get insurance. In the event of sickness, of course, nothing else.
awesome!
we ran into it only once (yet.) The groom stayed with us and the bride was staying with us after the wedding. The groom's father brought in catered Italian food for lunch for all the 'boys.' pasta, salads, bread. Then they went to the wedding leaving all the food and plates and bottles out.
If I hadn't known the bride was coming back after the wedding, I would have left it there. But for her, I cleaned it up.
Oh yeah, and, we gave the groom a split of champagne as a gift. He and his buddies drank it before the wedding. What a bunch of clods. She never even knew about it.
TheBeachHouse said:
awesome!
we ran into it only once (yet.) The groom stayed with us and the bride was staying with us after the wedding. The groom's father brought in catered Italian food for lunch for all the 'boys.' pasta, salads, bread. Then they went to the wedding leaving all the food and plates and bottles out.
If I hadn't known the bride was coming back after the wedding, I would have left it there. But for her, I cleaned it up.
Oh yeah, and, we gave the groom a split of champagne as a gift. He and his buddies drank it before the wedding. What a bunch of clods. She never even knew about it.
They are going in my book, BTW. The next one. The one I write as a series of loosely-related vignettes. Like that old tv show used to start out: there are a million stories in the Naked City, this is one of them.
(And Android doesn't like naked, either. I can write make, named or baked. Why I don't compose on the tablet... Too many censored words!)

The local innkeepers have all told me, "never take the bride!" I get it, but she does still need a place to stay, right?.
TheBeachHouse said:
The local innkeepers have all told me, "never take the bride!" I get it, but she does still need a place to stay, right?
You can take the bride, just be prepared for the entourage.
They help themselves to whatever is left out, they think you're a handmaiden to the bride, whatever the bride thinks she wants you're expected to fetch it. There are 27 of them in the entourage.
You will open the door 50 times and close it 50 times (because their hands are full and their brains are empty), you will clean up whatever mess they leave behind at 3pm when they dash off because the rooms have to be ready when they come back and they've been in them all day. (You will clean them because you'll be shocked at the mess they left and never thought to mention.)
You'll learn to provide tarps for your floors because the hair spray doesn't come out, nor does the nail polish and/or remover.
You'll have emergency sewing kits on hand because buttons will pop off and hems will get stepped on and torn.
You'll be prepared to rearrange your furniture because 'it doesn't look right for the photos'.
You'll be prepared for all the wedding guests to drop in to see the couple in the morning and then help themselves to your buffet.
You'll be prepared with an answer when the roses aren't in bloom on that day, when it is suggested that providing lunch would be a great help and oh, another couple of pots ofcoffee, if you don't mind. Yes. Now.
And you will recommend, as graciously as possible, that given the amount of money they are spending, they might want to get insurance. In the event of sickness, of course, nothing else.
awesome!
TheBeachHouse said:
awesome!
They are going in my book, BTW. The next one. The one I write as a series of loosely-related vignettes. Like that old tv show used to start out: there are a million stories in the Naked City, this is one of them.
(And Android doesn't like naked, either. I can write make, named or baked. Why I don't compose on the tablet... Too many censored words!)
Morticia said:
TheBeachHouse said:
awesome!
Can't wait to read it!

We always have had the bride. Seems to work out, but destination weddings are a bit different. Joe's old friend Mike can't just drop in with his ex-girlfriend- etc.

This is all so good to have. I have my first bride-to-be calling me wanting all 5 suites & apartments for her wedding next May. I'm not happy! I can just imagine all the changes and complications coming, and possible damages when 5 rooms of people crowd into 1 apartment for party time! And I hate to put all my eggs in one basket, marking off 5 units so far in advance and worrying about it all getting cancelled at the last minute.

So this thread of suggestions is really valuable. Like others, I love the payment by check idea to eliminate chargeback risks. Plus you get all the money and don't lose the CC processor fees.
These are close acquaintances of mine. He's a young attorney who will just love going over the terms I offer ;-)
Edit to add: The bride wanted me to call her to go over details, but I'm requiring that we do it by e-mail so I have a written record of what's said, and not said.

This is all so good to have. I have my first bride-to-be calling me wanting all 5 suites & apartments for her wedding next May. I'm not happy! I can just imagine all the changes and complications coming, and possible damages when 5 rooms of people crowd into 1 apartment for party time! And I hate to put all my eggs in one basket, marking off 5 units so far in advance and worrying about it all getting cancelled at the last minute.

So this thread of suggestions is really valuable. Like others, I love the payment by check idea to eliminate chargeback risks. Plus you get all the money and don't lose the CC processor fees.
These are close acquaintances of mine. He's a young attorney who will just love going over the terms I offer ;-)
Edit to add: The bride wanted me to call her to go over details, but I'm requiring that we do it by e-mail so I have a written record of what's said, and not said..
As a landlord, I do not accept checks. I had a 2+ week old rent check bounce ($950) a couple years ago. Still trying to figure out how that happened. I ate the loss, as they suddenly lost half their income and moved out.
Also, "passing a bad check" is only a crime if it meets 3-4 criteria. Not easy and not fun to prove.
I only accept rent as money orders, from either Wal-Mart or USPS. They are everywhere. If THAT is faked, it is ALWAYS a crime.

Edit to add: The bride wanted me to call her to go over details, but I'm requiring that we do it by e-mail so I have a written record of what's said, and not said..
Arks said:
Ok, 2 strikes right there!
confused_smile.gif

We always seem to coward down to 'close acquaintances'. Make sure to stand firm.
After working for quite a few, make sure you have all you i's doted in bold and t's correctly crossed.
Arks said:
Edit to add: The bride wanted me to call her to go over details, but I'm requiring that we do it by e-mail so I have a written record of what's said, and not said.
Good for you especially since dealing with an attorney.
I hope you will still be close acquaintances once the stay is over!

Arks said:
Ok, 2 strikes right there!
confused_smile.gif

We always seem to coward down to 'close acquaintances'. Make sure to stand firm.
After working for quite a few, make sure you have all you i's doted in bold and t's correctly crossed.
Arks said:
Copperhead said:
Yep. You see my problem problems!
Regarding checks bouncing mentioned by someone, we're talking months in advance. Plenty of time to cancel the whole thing if a check bounces.

Here's what we do. 50% non-refundable deposit when the booking is made. Balance at 30 days and it's also non-refundable. It makes it a real commitment on their part. Wedding vendors all have non-refundable deposits. It's when they call crying that they found out their fiance was cheating on them and have called off the wedding that it's tough. But stick to your guns.

Here's what we do. 50% non-refundable deposit when the booking is made. Balance at 30 days and it's also non-refundable. It makes it a real commitment on their part. Wedding vendors all have non-refundable deposits. It's when they call crying that they found out their fiance was cheating on them and have called off the wedding that it's tough. But stick to your guns..
Breakfast Diva said:
50% non-refundable deposit...Balance at 30 days and it's also non-refundable.
Yes, it's not like we're gouging them. Just asking them to pay what they will be paying anyway, but requiring a commitment in exchange for taking the whole house off the market for those days.

Still toying with the idea of a damages deposit also. In this case, maybe not. Since they're local and I'm bigger than this lawyer is, I'll just take it out of his hide if they cause any damage ;-)

Here's what we do. 50% non-refundable deposit when the booking is made. Balance at 30 days and it's also non-refundable. It makes it a real commitment on their part. Wedding vendors all have non-refundable deposits. It's when they call crying that they found out their fiance was cheating on them and have called off the wedding that it's tough. But stick to your guns..
Breakfast Diva said:
Yes, it's not like we're gouging them. Just asking them to pay what they will be paying anyway, but requiring a commitment in exchange for taking the whole house off the market for those days.

Still toying with the idea of a damages deposit also. In this case, maybe not. Since they're local and I'm bigger than this lawyer is, I'll just take it out of his hide if they cause any damage ;-)
We're considering adding a damage deposit also. We haven't really gotten much damage, but there definitely is a lot of extra cleaning when dealing with a group. Especially when there are kids.

As a landlord, I do not accept checks. I had a 2+ week old rent check bounce ($950) a couple years ago. Still trying to figure out how that happened. I ate the loss, as they suddenly lost half their income and moved out.
Also, "passing a bad check" is only a crime if it meets 3-4 criteria. Not easy and not fun to prove.
I only accept rent as money orders, from either Wal-Mart or USPS. They are everywhere. If THAT is faked, it is ALWAYS a crime.
undersea said:
money orders??? what a pita for the renter! I wouldn't accept that requirement. The check is in the mail for a reason. It's easy. It's routine. I'm not giving you chit, I am seriously surprised that anyone would agree to buying a monthly money order just to pay their rent!!!!

undersea said:
money orders??? what a pita for the renter! I wouldn't accept that requirement. The check is in the mail for a reason. It's easy. It's routine. I'm not giving you chit, I am seriously surprised that anyone would agree to buying a monthly money order just to pay their rent!!!!
And a cancelled check is proof I paid. What proof does a money order give that it was received and cashed - am asking because I deal with checks, not money orders. (a surcharge on the rent)

undersea said:
No one has ever complained. If it is a PITA for someone to buy a money order while already shopping or going to PO, then that is a concern.
Money orders have solved every problem I had with checks. And there are many.

undersea said:
And a cancelled check is proof I paid. What proof does a money order give that it was received and cashed - am asking because I deal with checks, not money orders. (a surcharge on the rent)
The payer has a receipt upon purchase that the money order was sent. It would be a pretty bad landlord who claimed not to get a money order, as it is sitting, cleared, in their account.
Could not understand a surcharge on money orders. They are far safer to the landlord. Many of my tenants are lower income, and that brings a host of issues.

undersea said:
No one has ever complained. If it is a PITA for someone to buy a money order while already shopping or going to PO, then that is a concern.
what part of the country/world are you in?
(or, to be more correct, In what part of the country/world are you?)

undersea said:
what part of the country/world are you in?
(or, to be more correct, In what part of the country/world are you?)
The tenants are in the South, in small town area.

How do you figure out what to charge for whole building rental? Does the guest handle the room assignments?

Breakfast Diva said:

We're considering adding a damage deposit also. We haven't really gotten much damage, but there definitely is a lot of extra cleaning when dealing with a group. Especially when there are kids.
Probably good to review the policies that vrbo and homeaway have. They have vetted the process for what works, and are likely a good place to start for a policy.

How do you figure out what to charge for whole building rental? Does the guest handle the room assignments?.
Lisa1958 said:
How do you figure out what to charge for whole building rental? Does the guest handle the room assignments?
I'm just charging my standard rates and yes, in my case I'm working with the bride and she will handle room assignments then let me know who is staying where.

How do you figure out what to charge for whole building rental? Does the guest handle the room assignments?.
Oh yes - I make it VERY clear I am not responsible for room allocations - leads to too much trouble if people don't like it!
They get a list off rooms ie room no/which floor/what is is ie double, twin single/
then I get a list back - when we first came here we have a convention of sort of Christian self awareness - lots of older couples and elderly priests, we didn't know this when they booked as it was the first year here and the name of the group doesn't explain its nature - we allocated as people arrived and the last ones in were about 80 and all that was left was top floor - group leader was all like "why did you put them up there?" because it was the last room!
Note to self - we always allocate from the top down now - ie able bodied up stairs so we have ground floors just in case! - but we have that particular group trained!

Back