Whole House Rentals

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's what we do. 50% non-refundable deposit when the booking is made. Balance at 30 days and it's also non-refundable. It makes it a real commitment on their part. Wedding vendors all have non-refundable deposits. It's when they call crying that they found out their fiance was cheating on them and have called off the wedding that it's tough. But stick to your guns..
Breakfast Diva said:
50% non-refundable deposit...Balance at 30 days and it's also non-refundable.
Yes, it's not like we're gouging them. Just asking them to pay what they will be paying anyway, but requiring a commitment in exchange for taking the whole house off the market for those days.

Still toying with the idea of a damages deposit also. In this case, maybe not. Since they're local and I'm bigger than this lawyer is, I'll just take it out of his hide if they cause any damage ;-)
We're considering adding a damage deposit also. We haven't really gotten much damage, but there definitely is a lot of extra cleaning when dealing with a group. Especially when there are kids.
We require a significant security deposit, and we set up a monthly payment plan such that everything is paid in full a full month prior to the event.

How do you figure out what to charge for whole building rental? Does the guest handle the room assignments?.
Our whole house rental is part of a small wedding package. All costs are marked up for the package and it definitely makes it worth our time and effort. Room assignments are done by the 1 person booking the package.

Here's what we do. 50% non-refundable deposit when the booking is made. Balance at 30 days and it's also non-refundable. It makes it a real commitment on their part. Wedding vendors all have non-refundable deposits. It's when they call crying that they found out their fiance was cheating on them and have called off the wedding that it's tough. But stick to your guns..
Breakfast Diva said:
50% non-refundable deposit...Balance at 30 days and it's also non-refundable.
Yes, it's not like we're gouging them. Just asking them to pay what they will be paying anyway, but requiring a commitment in exchange for taking the whole house off the market for those days.

Still toying with the idea of a damages deposit also. In this case, maybe not. Since they're local and I'm bigger than this lawyer is, I'll just take it out of his hide if they cause any damage ;-)
This gives you an opportunity to come up with policies for any situation that's a whole house rental. I don't see that on your website.
regular_smile.gif

Back