Who's the second person in the room?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
At least you know there is a second guest. I've been burned three times this year with people who are here for conferences or other "business" who have found roommates that they snuck in, thinking I wouldn't figure it out. One was so inappropriate that we sat down and I had a little talk with him. The other two ... just DNB, but I'm in the process of changing my policies. (I know, I'm slow, but the tortoise persona fits the older I get).
I don't know that 3 occurrences in a year is something to lose sleep over - need to pick your battles. Not sure what your policies are, but just bill them. If they squawk, perhaps point out that it is a crime (to my knowledge) to intentionally avoid payment (such as for second guest, etc.) There was a post somewhere I read here related to it being a felony to intentionally avoid paying for a room.
Undersea, just wait til you open and have people sneaking others into your home.
wink_smile.gif
You can not understand what it is like until you are in this business.
It is a big deal. I want to know who and how many are staying in my place.
It is for my safety as well as for my other guests safety.

For some, especially women traveling alone, this is the reason they choose a B&B.
As a longterm landlord, I regularly had people sneak a few in. And some in the place i lived. Assuming they are dangerous was not the issue, it was the load on others.
undersea said:
As a long term landlord, I regularly had people sneak a few in. And some in the place i lived. Assuming they are dangerous was not the issue, it was the load on others.
I am a long term landlord and have been for years. I am also an innkeeper with 14 years experience. Sorry, but you really have no clue what the difference is. It's not your fault, it's because you have no experience as an innkeeper yet. Please, don't tell experienced innkeepers how to do anything. You haven't earned the right yet.
Yes, after all when tenant who sneaks overnite guests into my house against agreement when others are staying there is way different than a guest into an innkeepers house against agreement. After all, one is an unknown stranger while the other is... An unknown stranger. Yes, there is no way I could understand. It is so complex, no one except a very experienced innkeeper could possibly fathom the possibilities. Just because I have had people die, get arrested, have hookers, deal drugs, what could I know about the possibilities?
I could never imagine the potential safety, cost, fire or other issues.
After 14 years, then these things only become tangible. Everyone else is clueless...
Do you live in the apartment with your tenant? That's the difference. My bedroom door is right next to the guest's doors.
When people bring additional strangers into your home, people they might not even know, then it's personal. That's the difference between the landlord situation and the innkeeper situation.
You don't have to feed the strangers, make small talk with them while wondering why the heck they don't look familiar. You have to evict them, totally different.
We both have to deal with the consequences, tho. The person who trashes the room after you tell them to leave. Then decides that's not enough and threatens your life and your livelihood. Then find 10 different social media sites to launch the next attack.
That is the common thread between the two different jobs. I'd never be a landlord. Too stressful. I've turned down multiple attempts Gomez has made to buy condos to rent. No way. But my son has 9 rental units and it's OK for him. He lives in a place with zero tenant rights. He files a complaint with the sheriff the tenant is out, no court dates, no notice, nothing.
I have tenants on my place for many years. Many strange visitors. But my point was that it will happen. Most unreported strangers aren't setting up a meth lab. If 3 people got through in a year, you cannot stop it all.
You have policies, you stay alert, and a few slip by. Cannot fret over every time something goes beyond the policy. 95% or so I'd maybe what we realistically get.

At least you know there is a second guest. I've been burned three times this year with people who are here for conferences or other "business" who have found roommates that they snuck in, thinking I wouldn't figure it out. One was so inappropriate that we sat down and I had a little talk with him. The other two ... just DNB, but I'm in the process of changing my policies. (I know, I'm slow, but the tortoise persona fits the older I get).
I don't know that 3 occurrences in a year is something to lose sleep over - need to pick your battles. Not sure what your policies are, but just bill them. If they squawk, perhaps point out that it is a crime (to my knowledge) to intentionally avoid payment (such as for second guest, etc.) There was a post somewhere I read here related to it being a felony to intentionally avoid paying for a room.
Undersea, just wait til you open and have people sneaking others into your home.
wink_smile.gif

For some, especially women traveling alone, this is the reason they choose a B&B.
As a longterm landlord, I regularly had people sneak a few in. And some in the place i lived. Assuming they are dangerous was not the issue, it was the load on others.
undersea said:
As a long term landlord, I regularly had people sneak a few in. And some in the place i lived. Assuming they are dangerous was not the issue, it was the load on others.
I am a long term landlord and have been for years. I am also an innkeeper with 14 years experience. Sorry, but you really have no clue what the difference is. It's not your fault, it's because you have no experience as an innkeeper yet. Please, don't tell experienced innkeepers how to do anything. You haven't earned the right yet.
Yes, after all when tenant who sneaks overnite guests into my house against agreement when others are staying there is way different than a guest into an innkeepers house against agreement. After all, one is an unknown stranger while the other is... An unknown stranger. Yes, there is no way I could understand. It is so complex, no one except a very experienced innkeeper could possibly fathom the possibilities. Just because I have had people die, get arrested, have hookers, deal drugs, what could I know about the possibilities?
After 14 years, then these things only become tangible. Everyone else is clueless...
Do you live in the apartment with your tenant? That's the difference. My bedroom door is right next to the guest's doors.
When people bring additional strangers into your home, people they might not even know, then it's personal. That's the difference between the landlord situation and the innkeeper situation.
You don't have to feed the strangers, make small talk with them while wondering why the heck they don't look familiar. You have to evict them, totally different.
We both have to deal with the consequences, tho. The person who trashes the room after you tell them to leave. Then decides that's not enough and threatens your life and your livelihood. Then find 10 different social media sites to launch the next attack.
That is the common thread between the two different jobs. I'd never be a landlord. Too stressful. I've turned down multiple attempts Gomez has made to buy condos to rent. No way. But my son has 9 rental units and it's OK for him. He lives in a place with zero tenant rights. He files a complaint with the sheriff the tenant is out, no court dates, no notice, nothing.
I have tenants on my place for many years. Many strange visitors. But my point was that it will happen. Most unreported strangers aren't setting up a meth lab. If 3 people got through in a year, you cannot stop it all.
You have policies, you stay alert, and a few slip by. Cannot fret over every time something goes beyond the policy. 95% or so I'd maybe what we realistically get.

wink_smile.gif

undersea said:

wink_smile.gif

undersea said:
You don't seem to get it undersea. A B & B is NOT like renting an apt. This is our home. Our insurance only covers paying guests. It is not right nor I believe personally legal or moral for someone to bring another into my house without my knowledge...as others have told you.
So quit contradicting what long time innkeepers are saying. You are not an innkeeper. You are or were a landlord.

wink_smile.gif

undersea said:
You don't seem to get it undersea. A B & B is NOT like renting an apt. This is our home. Our insurance only covers paying guests. It is not right nor I believe personally legal or moral for someone to bring another into my house without my knowledge...as others have told you.
So quit contradicting what long time innkeepers are saying. You are not an innkeeper. You are or were a landlord.
Since you didn't read and understand the preceding few posts, but felt free to post anyway, this did not reflect well.
If you are going to be rude, at least spend 5 minutes reading.
The arrogance of some is astounding.

wink_smile.gif

undersea said:
Since you didn't read and understand the preceding few posts, but felt free to post anyway, this did not reflect well.
Oh My, we are not used to this tone here. Since you are a new member and have much good to add to the forum, do you think you could "make nice" and just agree to disagree? We would hate to lose you due to hard feelings. Some of our members founded this forum and they deserve more than a passing interest in the content of the forum. JMHO

Per the screening thread, if someone refused to give me the name of the Second Person, this would be the exception. It's a matter of mutual trust when we let folks into our home full of personal treasures. We would likely decline the reservation declaring all names are mandatory in our state. Fortunately, this has never happened.
Letting unregistered strangers roam through our home is not a 5% acceptable option for us, nor to our guests whom we are obligated to provide a secure environment. EVER! Intruders will be tactfully confronted.
Every other year or so, we do get the occasional wedding "leftover" snuck in. Usually, these folks have overindulged and are not thinking rationally, and in the morning are quite apologetic. They are subject to our extra $25 a person fee and are required to sign our Guest Register per state law and insurance policy. If we are not comfortable, we can always invoke Fire Code Max Occupancy rules and away they may go.

wink_smile.gif

undersea said:
Oh My, we are not used to this tone here. Since you are a new member and have much good to add to the forum, do you think you could "make nice" and just agree to disagree? We would hate to lose you due to hard feelings. Some of our members founded this forum and they deserve more than a passing interest in the content of the forum. JMHO
Speaking of founding members - I was the first member to sign up. Kind of cool. Seems like a million years ago.

i have friends with rental property - apartments and houses. (different friends and different situations) they've had problems with their renters turning around and sub-letting or bringing in additional roommates. the trouble is the sub-letter has no relationship with the owner and has signed nothing ... when the renter on one lease moved out, the sub (who the owner didn't know about) wanted to stay and it was a mess that dragged on for months. the sub couldn't pay the full rent but refused to go. they had to do an eviction and (they think) the sub damaged the property in retaliation. in another, the owners had screened the original renter but would not have rented to one of the roommates given the choice.
some of the properties are owner occupied and easier to regulate because they can see a lot of what's happening. the properties where they live offsite are more of a challenge.
they are constantly revising the leases.

wink_smile.gif

undersea said:
Speaking of founding members - I was the first member to sign up. Kind of cool. Seems like a million years ago.
I was a slow reactor - #6 I think . There is something on this site now that reminds me of my teenagers - you know how teenagers are, they know everything about everything when they have done nothing other than breathe so far. Close analogy

wink_smile.gif

undersea said:
undersea said:
No, it's just you.
Congratulations Undersea. You are the first in all these years that I will use the 'ignore' button on. I really don't know why you're here on the forum. You take no advise from us, have nothing to contribute except arrogance. Buh-By

Finally getting a minute to read the forum and I'm amazed at how negative the post turned. As a veteran innkeeper I just roll my eyes when I see something that makes no sense and say to myself "They'll soon see, hopefully not too late before it costs them too much money or headaches." No book, no past experience in any other industry will prepare anyone for what they'll experience once strangers are sleeping in their house, under the same roof at a B&B. Not long term tenants in another unit, but transients who come and go and leave reviews good and bad in their wake.
As for the thread, our system does ask for a second name but it's not required. If they don't fill it in, when they arrive my hubby gets their name when he greets them at the door and writes it right on their paperwork, mostly it's just a first name on shaking hands. Only had one couple we didn't get her name because she didn't speak at all -- believe it was a paid working weekend for her - both adults so who cares.
As for the concern about safety, in reality anyone can make up a name and you and your guests are no safer because you've gotten a fake name on the books. Your insurance covers guests who are property whether they gave you a real or fake name. And unless we require ID and then do a search on them, then we never really know if they're criminals or not. So the real concern for us is that we know the # of guests in the room and onsite at any given time in case there is a fire. For all I know, half the people here tonight are cheating on their real spouses and gave us a fake name of the second person. But I know the # of them here so I can't worry about it. I'm more concerned that they don't disturb other guests, don't break anything and don't pack up my nice mugs and take them home without paying.

wink_smile.gif

undersea said:
The entirety of the problem is 3 individuals who follow me around and keep trying to censor me. As long as the constitution is in force, I am entitled to an opinion.

Finally getting a minute to read the forum and I'm amazed at how negative the post turned. As a veteran innkeeper I just roll my eyes when I see something that makes no sense and say to myself "They'll soon see, hopefully not too late before it costs them too much money or headaches." No book, no past experience in any other industry will prepare anyone for what they'll experience once strangers are sleeping in their house, under the same roof at a B&B. Not long term tenants in another unit, but transients who come and go and leave reviews good and bad in their wake.
As for the thread, our system does ask for a second name but it's not required. If they don't fill it in, when they arrive my hubby gets their name when he greets them at the door and writes it right on their paperwork, mostly it's just a first name on shaking hands. Only had one couple we didn't get her name because she didn't speak at all -- believe it was a paid working weekend for her - both adults so who cares.
As for the concern about safety, in reality anyone can make up a name and you and your guests are no safer because you've gotten a fake name on the books. Your insurance covers guests who are property whether they gave you a real or fake name. And unless we require ID and then do a search on them, then we never really know if they're criminals or not. So the real concern for us is that we know the # of guests in the room and onsite at any given time in case there is a fire. For all I know, half the people here tonight are cheating on their real spouses and gave us a fake name of the second person. But I know the # of them here so I can't worry about it. I'm more concerned that they don't disturb other guests, don't break anything and don't pack up my nice mugs and take them home without paying..
It's not about not knowing the name of a guest. It is those who SNEAK people in and you don't know about. If 2 people come to the door to check in..fine. Sign the guest book any way you want. I see you and I know what you look like. I don't care if you are with your mistress or not.None of my business. But if you come for say a wedding and drag home who knows who else with you to my house without my knowledge and try to get away with a party in your room or whatever, then that becomes an issue of safety for me and any other guests in the house. It is this kind of safety issue not the one where you see the people checking in that is the concern.

As for the concern about safety, in reality anyone can make up a name and you and your guests are no safer because you've gotten a fake name on the books. Your insurance covers guests who are property whether they gave you a real or fake name. And unless we require ID and then do a search on them, then we never really know if they're criminals or not. So the real concern for us is that we know the # of guests in the room and onsite at any given time in case there is a fire. For all I know, half the people here tonight are cheating on their real spouses and gave us a fake name of the second person. But I know the # of them here so I can't worry about it. I'm more concerned that they don't disturb other guests, don't break anything and don't pack up my nice mugs and take them home without paying..
It's not about not knowing the name of a guest. It is those who SNEAK people in and you don't know about. If 2 people come to the door to check in..fine. Sign the guest book any way you want. I see you and I know what you look like. I don't care if you are with your mistress or not.None of my business. But if you come for say a wedding and drag home who knows who else with you to my house without my knowledge and try to get away with a party in your room or whatever, then that becomes an issue of safety for me and any other guests in the house. It is this kind of safety issue not the one where you see the people checking in that is the concern.
Totally agree - sneaking people in is totally wrong and can't be tolerated. We would certainly kick them out without hesitation. I was referring to the response that someone said it would be a violation of trust if someone wouldn't give the name of the second person in the room - if pressed I'm sure someone would just make it up so they could have their reservation and we'd all never know.

Totally agree - sneaking people in is totally wrong and can't be tolerated. We would certainly kick them out without hesitation. I was referring to the response that someone said it would be a violation of trust if someone wouldn't give the name of the second person in the room - if pressed I'm sure someone would just make it up so they could have their reservation and we'd all never know.
Am sure they do make names up, but I was speaking about outright refusal.

wink_smile.gif

undersea said:
So glad I re-found the forum after the initial move from the previous site. Aspiring then, (plus novice landlord), experienced in both occupations now. I would like to add for other aspirings, that it was much reading (with few comments and questions) that led to many mistakes NOT being made. This forum will save you much aggravation and many dollars. Not all posts will apply to you. It will be quite clear which do.

Hope it goes well for you. I know that we had the same rez system and when I spoke with the company, there really wasn't a capability to migrate or save info for another rez system other than to print out a bunch of paper. Glad that's changed...

Hope it goes well for you. I know that we had the same rez system and when I spoke with the company, there really wasn't a capability to migrate or save info for another rez system other than to print out a bunch of paper. Glad that's changed....
They migrated about 85% of the guest data but I lost all of my transaction history (how many of this and that was sold). Some pieces still don't work properly but I keep telling them what's wrong and they fix it bit by bit.
I have access to the old data so I'm slowly transferring it over. Then I'll go in and erase all the cc info and move forward. I can still run reports on the old data.
It's a steep learning curve because it's completely different in how it looks and works.

Hope it goes well for you. I know that we had the same rez system and when I spoke with the company, there really wasn't a capability to migrate or save info for another rez system other than to print out a bunch of paper. Glad that's changed....
They migrated about 85% of the guest data but I lost all of my transaction history (how many of this and that was sold). Some pieces still don't work properly but I keep telling them what's wrong and they fix it bit by bit.
I have access to the old data so I'm slowly transferring it over. Then I'll go in and erase all the cc info and move forward. I can still run reports on the old data.
It's a steep learning curve because it's completely different in how it looks and works.
You're a smart gal, so I have no doubts that you'll be successful!!
thumbs_up.gif

Back