Who's the second person in the room?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
At least you know there is a second guest. I've been burned three times this year with people who are here for conferences or other "business" who have found roommates that they snuck in, thinking I wouldn't figure it out. One was so inappropriate that we sat down and I had a little talk with him. The other two ... just DNB, but I'm in the process of changing my policies. (I know, I'm slow, but the tortoise persona fits the older I get).
I don't know that 3 occurrences in a year is something to lose sleep over - need to pick your battles. Not sure what your policies are, but just bill them. If they squawk, perhaps point out that it is a crime (to my knowledge) to intentionally avoid payment (such as for second guest, etc.) There was a post somewhere I read here related to it being a felony to intentionally avoid paying for a room.
Undersea, just wait til you open and have people sneaking others into your home.
wink_smile.gif
You can not understand what it is like until you are in this business.
It is a big deal. I want to know who and how many are staying in my place.
It is for my safety as well as for my other guests safety.

For some, especially women traveling alone, this is the reason they choose a B&B.
As a longterm landlord, I regularly had people sneak a few in. And some in the place i lived. Assuming they are dangerous was not the issue, it was the load on others.
undersea said:
As a long term landlord, I regularly had people sneak a few in. And some in the place i lived. Assuming they are dangerous was not the issue, it was the load on others.
I am a long term landlord and have been for years. I am also an innkeeper with 14 years experience. Sorry, but you really have no clue what the difference is. It's not your fault, it's because you have no experience as an innkeeper yet. Please, don't tell experienced innkeepers how to do anything. You haven't earned the right yet.
Yes, after all when tenant who sneaks overnite guests into my house against agreement when others are staying there is way different than a guest into an innkeepers house against agreement. After all, one is an unknown stranger while the other is... An unknown stranger. Yes, there is no way I could understand. It is so complex, no one except a very experienced innkeeper could possibly fathom the possibilities. Just because I have had people die, get arrested, have hookers, deal drugs, what could I know about the possibilities?
I could never imagine the potential safety, cost, fire or other issues.
After 14 years, then these things only become tangible. Everyone else is clueless...
Do you live in the apartment with your tenant? That's the difference. My bedroom door is right next to the guest's doors.
When people bring additional strangers into your home, people they might not even know, then it's personal. That's the difference between the landlord situation and the innkeeper situation.
You don't have to feed the strangers, make small talk with them while wondering why the heck they don't look familiar. You have to evict them, totally different.
We both have to deal with the consequences, tho. The person who trashes the room after you tell them to leave. Then decides that's not enough and threatens your life and your livelihood. Then find 10 different social media sites to launch the next attack.
That is the common thread between the two different jobs. I'd never be a landlord. Too stressful. I've turned down multiple attempts Gomez has made to buy condos to rent. No way. But my son has 9 rental units and it's OK for him. He lives in a place with zero tenant rights. He files a complaint with the sheriff the tenant is out, no court dates, no notice, nothing.
I have tenants on my place for many years. Many strange visitors. But my point was that it will happen. Most unreported strangers aren't setting up a meth lab. If 3 people got through in a year, you cannot stop it all.
You have policies, you stay alert, and a few slip by. Cannot fret over every time something goes beyond the policy. 95% or so I'd maybe what we realistically get.
You don't seem to get it undersea. A B & B is NOT like renting an apt. This is our home. Our insurance only covers paying guests. It is not right nor I believe personally legal or moral for someone to bring another into my house without my knowledge...as others have told you.
So quit contradicting what long time innkeepers are saying. You are not an innkeeper. You are or were a landlord.
Since you didn't read and understand the preceding few posts, but felt free to post anyway, this did not reflect well.
If you are going to be rude, at least spend 5 minutes reading.
The arrogance of some is astounding.
Oh My, we are not used to this tone here. Since you are a new member and have much good to add to the forum, do you think you could "make nice" and just agree to disagree? We would hate to lose you due to hard feelings. Some of our members founded this forum and they deserve more than a passing interest in the content of the forum. JMHO
Speaking of founding members - I was the first member to sign up. Kind of cool. Seems like a million years ago.
Yeah, founding member. As a newbie, I loved your ... approach to things. Missed you while you were gone.

Back