word press for dummies

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just a kind FYI from a retired IT executive, search "major security flaws wordpress".
You should never go it alone with WP; hire someone else to build it, have a security analyst review it monthly, replace it as soon as feasible.
The sneakiest thing the hackers are doing to WP is DNS redirects. You see your website just fine, so does your developer, but from 10% to as much as 90% of your website traffic is intercepted at the DNS level and redirected to an unscrupulous competitor, chain hotel or bnb search site.
We found out that our old WP site was fine in the US but was being 100% redirected in Canada and Europe. And about 20% of US traffic was being redirected too.
Consider moving to a WYSIWYG web company like squarespace dot com. It costs us $8 per month and they handle 100% of security, dns flushing, domain name, hosting, etc.

Just a kind FYI from a retired IT executive, search "major security flaws wordpress".
You should never go it alone with WP; hire someone else to build it, have a security analyst review it monthly, replace it as soon as feasible.
The sneakiest thing the hackers are doing to WP is DNS redirects. You see your website just fine, so does your developer, but from 10% to as much as 90% of your website traffic is intercepted at the DNS level and redirected to an unscrupulous competitor, chain hotel or bnb search site.
We found out that our old WP site was fine in the US but was being 100% redirected in Canada and Europe. And about 20% of US traffic was being redirected too.
Consider moving to a WYSIWYG web company like squarespace dot com. It costs us $8 per month and they handle 100% of security, dns flushing, domain name, hosting, etc..
An Old Tavernkeeper said:
A hack of the Domain Name System wouldn't be just a WordPress issue, would it? Interception at the DNS level presumably could affect any website, not just those running built using WordPress?

Consider moving to a WYSIWYG web company like squarespace dot com. It costs us $8 per month and they handle 100% of security, dns flushing, domain name, hosting, etc..
get a good hosting company that takes good care of its customers.
if Wp was so vulnerable why would millions use it? sorry i can' t go with your opinion.

A hack of the Domain Name System wouldn't be just a WordPress issue, would it? Interception at the DNS level presumably could affect any website, not just those running built using WordPress?
Hi Harborfields,
I am not sure if it is a good idea to post all of the sites I visit on this forum.
If you want to be completely safe but read all about the hundreds of security violations in WP go ogle
us-cert.gov wordpress vulnerabilities
then ONLY click on links that show they are from the legitimate United States Computer Emergency Readiness Team website.
Or go directly to us-cert.gov and search WP
In either case make sure the link show https and then click on the security validation in your browser to make sure you are absolutely at the real website.
=====
If you want to go deeper and you want to see how hackers do it go ogle
wordpress reverse dns hijacking - then look for 'sneaky tricks hackers use to target word press sites"
or go ogle
how do wordpress sites get hacked dns - then look for 'more than 162k word press sites used in denial of service attacks' and within that link you can learn more by following 'I think some one has hacked my word press site but I can't see it'
Be very CAREFUL which sites you click on if you read these. Hackers will assume if you are looking at WP vulnerabilities that you are a WP user and will target you.

if Wp was so vulnerable why would millions use it? sorry i can' t go with your opinion.
Go ogle 'how safe is WP' and look for the 3/24/2014 article in Forbes
then go to us-cert dot gov and search
WP
and look at the over 11,000 major violations that have occurred and how many people who have lost PCI compliance battles simply because of a simple human error in WP and hosting companies are not responsible by their T and C contract. Then consider that if you use a number of other products (or hire a security analyst that specializes in monitoring WP) your liability is zero.

I edit content (text only) on a few sites that someone else created (for Boards that I am on) and I'm completely overwhelmed on the back end. I, too, am very computer savvy and can pick up on programs very easily - Not WP! It frustrates me. I've also tried to learn from tutorials because I wanted to create a site for my personal business and it seemed like even the most beginner tutorial was actually a 4.0 version = made no sense to me.
You might want to consider finding an actual class that can teach you hands-on with an instructor that can answer questions and "dumb it down" for you. No offense, but that's exactly what I would need to figure out WP. It's like astrophysics to my brain!.
Thanks. The girl that is doing our website is supposed to show one of us how to add pages and ask that, I was hoping to get a jump on it though, since I don't know when that will happen. Like you say, it just makes no sense. On to trolling you tube.
sachi3679 said:
Thanks. The girl that is doing our website is supposed to show one of us how to add pages and ask that, I was hoping to get a jump on it though, since I don't know when that will happen. Like you say, it just makes no sense. On to trolling you tube.
Do you know what theme she is using? If you do, you can download it onto your computer and practice. The whole thing is not as intuitive as I would want. But it is easy to add pages and text and the like. If you do it once, and take notes, you'll be set.
See, I tried that. Not necessarily with our theme, but I figured I can download a free one and mess around with it to try and see what the tutorials are taking about and I failed to even figure out how to do that. Could also be my pos computer. Don't know. I found some videos on youtube, though, so wish me luck on that :)
sachi3679 said:
See, I tried that. Not necessarily with our theme, but I figured I can download a free one and mess around with it to try and see what the tutorials are taking about and I failed to even figure out how to do that. Could also be my pos computer. Don't know. I found some videos on youtube, though, so wish me luck on that :)
If you have no experience behind the veil, so to speak, in building or maintaining a website I would highly recommend you pay someone to tutor you. Not sure what has been said here thus far, but perhaps there is someone who would give you a couple hours -paid- following them on a website edit and you asking questions? (like Dumitru) :)
Otherwise I would say pay someone to add any updates you want as you go along. The worst possible thing that would happen if you are on a LIVE WEBSITE and don't know what you are doing and make changes. I think that is insane (yes I do it, that is whY i say this!) This could end in disaster.
The plan is that the girl who is doing our website will spend a couple hours with one of us to show is how to add pages and all that, I just feel so far behind that I am looking for other options. While I do understand that being able to operate a computer does not equal being a web designer (and I am *not* actually trying to build a site from scratch), I usually am able to pick up at least the basics pretty quickly, so this is annoying me. Thanks for the advice, though.

I edit content (text only) on a few sites that someone else created (for Boards that I am on) and I'm completely overwhelmed on the back end. I, too, am very computer savvy and can pick up on programs very easily - Not WP! It frustrates me. I've also tried to learn from tutorials because I wanted to create a site for my personal business and it seemed like even the most beginner tutorial was actually a 4.0 version = made no sense to me.
You might want to consider finding an actual class that can teach you hands-on with an instructor that can answer questions and "dumb it down" for you. No offense, but that's exactly what I would need to figure out WP. It's like astrophysics to my brain!.
sachi3679 said:
Do you know what theme she is using? If you do, you can download it onto your computer and practice. The whole thing is not as intuitive as I would want. But it is easy to add pages and text and the like. If you do it once, and take notes, you'll be set.
You can take a look at this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eq56mb5lmLA
That's a 25 minutes video of me building a complete hotel website using a custom theme. Some things in the video are theme-specific, while other parts are common to any theme you are going to use.
You could try taking a look, hopefully you will find it helpful.
Okay, maybe of I put that on slow and play it while being on wp, I might be able to use some of that. Thanks.

Hi Harborfields,
I am not sure if it is a good idea to post all of the sites I visit on this forum.
If you want to be completely safe but read all about the hundreds of security violations in WP go ogle
then ONLY click on links that show they are from the legitimate United States Computer Emergency Readiness Team website.
In either case make sure the link show https and then click on the security validation in your browser to make sure you are absolutely at the real website.
=====
wordpress reverse dns hijacking - then look for 'sneaky tricks hackers use to target word press sites"
or go ogle
how do wordpress sites get hacked dns - then look for 'more than 162k word press sites used in denial of service attacks' and within that link you can learn more by following 'I think some one has hacked my word press site but I can't see it'
Be very CAREFUL which sites you click on if you read these. Hackers will assume if you are looking at WP vulnerabilities that you are a WP user and will target you.
Sorry, but this made me laugh quite a bit, good start of the day :)

Go ogle 'how safe is WP' and look for the 3/24/2014 article in Forbes
then go to us-cert dot gov and search
WP
and look at the over 11,000 major violations that have occurred and how many people who have lost PCI compliance battles simply because of a simple human error in WP and hosting companies are not responsible by their T and C contract. Then consider that if you use a number of other products (or hire a security analyst that specializes in monitoring WP) your liability is zero.
Who cares? You are way off the deep end here. A B & B site is not a national security risk site...gheez
devil_smile.gif

I still say if it was that problematic...no one would be using it. Any site can be hacked. Enough already.

sachi3679 said:
sachi3679 said:
If you have no experience behind the veil, so to speak, in building or maintaining a website I would highly recommend you pay someone to tutor you. Not sure what has been said here thus far, but perhaps there is someone who would give you a couple hours -paid- following them on a website edit and you asking questions? (like Dumitru) :)
Otherwise I would say pay someone to add any updates you want as you go along. The worst possible thing that would happen if you are on a LIVE WEBSITE and don't know what you are doing and make changes. I think that is insane (yes I do it, that is whY i say this!) This could end in disaster.
The plan is that the girl who is doing our website will spend a couple hours with one of us to show is how to add pages and all that, I just feel so far behind that I am looking for other options. While I do understand that being able to operate a computer does not equal being a web designer (and I am *not* actually trying to build a site from scratch), I usually am able to pick up at least the basics pretty quickly, so this is annoying me. Thanks for the advice, though.
I usually am able to pick up at least the basics pretty quickly, so this is annoying me. Thanks for the advice, though.
Sorry sachi no one was questioning your ability. I have trained many of my clients on how to update and use WP after I finish their site. Many have very little computer skills, but once I show them and give them printed material on what to do have been able to successfully update their sites.
Maddie learned it all on her own with a bit of help along the way from me and even though she still confesses to issues, she GOT IT! and Very well too I might add :)

Hi Harborfields,
=====
or go ogle
It is a really strong selling point for starting with an organization like yours. Too many people think that they can save a couple of hundred dollars, skip working with a professional, and then host it themselves before they have acquired the needed skill sets. All big mistakes. Especially now that so many smaller businesses are targeted by the banks for PCI Compliance with no government oversight.
Just look at how the Wordpress 4.0 update SSL problems discovered Sept 5, led to the discovery of the whole TLS blowup yesterday. I have been at stack overflow dot com for the past 12 hours reading in amazement.
Whether or not they choose to use you, I hope the takeaway for all innkeepers here is to use seasoned professionals, with stellar reviews and with a proven track record, like HT dot com, if they choose to use WP.
But even looking for reviews, totally out of our control, can be dangerous.
htreviewfail_0.PNG

Hi Harborfields,
=====
or go ogle
It is a really strong selling point for starting with an organization like yours. Too many people think that they can save a couple of hundred dollars, skip working with a professional, and then host it themselves before they have acquired the needed skill sets. All big mistakes. Especially now that so many smaller businesses are targeted by the banks for PCI Compliance with no government oversight.
Just look at how the Wordpress 4.0 update SSL problems discovered Sept 5, led to the discovery of the whole TLS blowup yesterday. I have been at stack overflow dot com for the past 12 hours reading in amazement.
Whether or not they choose to use you, I hope the takeaway for all innkeepers here is to use seasoned professionals, with stellar reviews and with a proven track record, like HT dot com, if they choose to use WP.
htreviewfail_0.PNG

Quippe tu asinus pomposus.
In response to below. As I had already noted. Did you even read?
| /\
| / \
\ / |
\/ |

sachi3679 said:
sachi3679 said:
I usually am able to pick up at least the basics pretty quickly, so this is annoying me. Thanks for the advice, though.
Sorry sachi no one was questioning your ability. I have trained many of my clients on how to update and use WP after I finish their site. Many have very little computer skills, but once I show them and give them printed material on what to do have been able to successfully update their sites.
Maddie learned it all on her own with a bit of help along the way from me and even though she still confesses to issues, she GOT IT! and Very well too I might add :)
No need to be sorry, but thanks :) I know a few people on here are self taught, so I am hoping to be able to follow in their footsteps.

Please note - name calling, even in Latin, is not appropriate on this forum.

Please note - name calling, even in Latin, is not appropriate on this forum.

Hi Harborfields,
=====
or go ogle
htreviewfail_0.PNG

[removed]

Hi Harborfields,
=====
or go ogle
htreviewfail_0.PNG

[removed]
Thanks!

So, my brother in law is less word press challenged than me, so we now have a more or less functioning website. Keeping in mind that we are not open and are currently renovating (we have 1.5 bathrooms done, all the rooms are being worked on) and have zero in the way of furnishings yet, so no room pictures at all, and that we are still working on the website, any feedback that you all can offer? Things we should be looking for as we continue? Things that are horrific and need to be changed right now?
redleafriverinn.com
Thanks!

So, my brother in law is less word press challenged than me, so we now have a more or less functioning website. Keeping in mind that we are not open and are currently renovating (we have 1.5 bathrooms done, all the rooms are being worked on) and have zero in the way of furnishings yet, so no room pictures at all, and that we are still working on the website, any feedback that you all can offer? Things we should be looking for as we continue? Things that are horrific and need to be changed right now?
redleafriverinn.com
Thanks!.
sachi3679 said:
Keeping in mind that we are not open and are currently renovating...
I'm pretty sure once you have a website, most of the work is done ;-)
What beautiful photos you have for the homepage slider!!!! After seeing that, I really DO think most of the work is done! I'd love to stay there!

redleafriverinn.com
Thanks!.
I love your town! Almost started a b & b there many many years ago.!
Get rid of this : Proudly powered by WordPress | Theme: Stay by WordPress.com. Don't know if it is in a footer setting or in the footer.php. Put your own credit / copyright line there.
I don't care for those link boxes on your slider. They really aren't needed because they are in your nav bar. I think they take away from the photos. Try using a better font. This one in grey is hard to read. I'd like to see a bit more color to make pages pop. Can you do a full width slider instead?
For your attractions page. Don't put the url on the page,(amateur) the link should actually be the name of the attraction with the link embeded into it. To do do: Highlight the name, click the LINK icon on the formatting tool bar and put in the url in the link box. CHeck Open Link in a new window.

Back