WTF!!!? A term I do not use lightly!

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gillumhouse

Staff member
Reaction score
VENT!!
I had my third morning of 5 AM breakfast and also have a 9 AM. So I fix a large dish of fruit and put it on the table with a serving spoon., family style as I usually do.
As the place setting, I have a sherbet or a small cut glass bowl on the plate for the fruit. The last 2 mornings, I had filled the sherbet or the small bowl. This morning I had the pretty bowl on the plate - empty for him to take what he wanted because I had some different fruit this morning (and thought I would make life easier on myself to just do the serving dish route -and would have the rest to maybe refurbish, but done). My eyes had a hard time staying in my head when he calmly picked up the serving spoon and started eating from the serving bowl!! I will give him that he ate about half of it, but I almost cried as I threw away those lovely cherries, honeydew, cantaloupe, and champagne mango (I bought a box of those small mangoes at Wally's brother's store and they were all good - so I am back to mango). Sigh!

a guest ate from the serving bowl?!
I had a guest at check in PICK UP one of the check-in goodies (large Key lime cookies and they are really good btw) from the dining table and look at it and put it back on the plate.
Must be the heat! I was like, what the! Are you kidding me? I said "There is a napkin go ahead and take it" and she said, "Maybe later..."
omg_smile.gif

I had a guest at check in PICK UP one of the check-in goodies (large Key lime cookies and they are really good btw) from the dining table and look at it and put it back on the plate.
Must be the heat! I was like, what the! Are you kidding me? I said "There is a napkin go ahead and take it" and she said, "Maybe later..."
omg_smile.gif
Yes, from the serving bowl. It had 2 champagne mangoes, lots of cherries, half a honeydew, and a lot of cantaloupe. I decided NOT of throw in some blueberries at the last minute thank goodness. I was fudruckered!

Regular spoon in the bowl or an oversized serving spoon in the bowl?
Had a friend stick her finger into a tray at a buffet to take something. She got such a stare from me that she was taken aback. Said to me that she didn't touch anything else... but realized that I was so steaming angry about it that she has never done it again. The last time I saw someone do that at a buffet I looked at them and asked if I should put my hand all over the food in their tray, since they did it to the food in the buffet.

Had a friend stick her finger into a tray at a buffet to take something. She got such a stare from me that she was taken aback. Said to me that she didn't touch anything else... but realized that I was so steaming angry about it that she has never done it again. The last time I saw someone do that at a buffet I looked at them and asked if I should put my hand all over the food in their tray, since they did it to the food in the buffet..
soup spoon-size. I have regular teaspoons at the place setting. I use the soup spoons for fruit and yogurt servers.

Had a friend stick her finger into a tray at a buffet to take something. She got such a stare from me that she was taken aback. Said to me that she didn't touch anything else... but realized that I was so steaming angry about it that she has never done it again. The last time I saw someone do that at a buffet I looked at them and asked if I should put my hand all over the food in their tray, since they did it to the food in the buffet..
soup spoon-size. I have regular teaspoons at the place setting. I use the soup spoons for fruit and yogurt servers.
Buy an oversized serving spoon, something large enough that they couldn't possibly think they could put it in their mouth. Sometimes you just have to think ahead of people. Or get a spoon with a very long handle, so they will look silly using it and it will feel very awkward. Even a wooden spoon or a large plastic serving spoon. Anything that sets it up as very different from your normal service.
We had the same problem with the sugar spoon. I replaced it with one that is so short that it's difficult to use and voila, it never ends up in anyone's cup any more.
And for the jam, demitasse spoons. So small you don't want to use them for anything other than espresso :)

omg_smile.gif
Guests do that with the ice. Just stick their hands into it even tho there is a big scoop right next to the ice bin.
If I can stop them in time I do. If not I ask them to hand me the ice and I dump it out. Then explain the ice is for everyone to use.

Buy an oversized serving spoon, something large enough that they couldn't possibly think they could put it in their mouth. Sometimes you just have to think ahead of people. Or get a spoon with a very long handle, so they will look silly using it and it will feel very awkward. Even a wooden spoon or a large plastic serving spoon. Anything that sets it up as very different from your normal service.
We had the same problem with the sugar spoon. I replaced it with one that is so short that it's difficult to use and voila, it never ends up in anyone's cup any more.
And for the jam, demitasse spoons. So small you don't want to use them for anything other than espresso :)
I had it in a dish I do not usually use for fruit. DH did not get the usual fruit bowl washed - but there was SO MUCH in it, I did not think ANYONE would think it was all for them! I should have had it in the footed bowl that I usually have a ladle in. I am still dumbfounded.

This reminds me of that classic Mary Tyler Moore show where she invited guests over for dinner & Mr. Grant serves himself half of the chicken entree that was on a platter and Mary is horrified because that's all the chicken there was. It was pretty hysterical.
I'm sure it wasn't funny to you this morning K., but it's just another story for your book.

This reminds me of that classic Mary Tyler Moore show where she invited guests over for dinner & Mr. Grant serves himself half of the chicken entree that was on a platter and Mary is horrified because that's all the chicken there was. It was pretty hysterical.
I'm sure it wasn't funny to you this morning K., but it's just another story for your book..
Breakfast Diva said:
I'm sure it wasn't funny to you this morning K., but it's just another story for your book.
One of the best shows ever.

omg_smile.gif
Guests do that with the ice. Just stick their hands into it even tho there is a big scoop right next to the ice bin.
If I can stop them in time I do. If not I ask them to hand me the ice and I dump it out. Then explain the ice is for everyone to use.
Madeleine said:
I used to get 3 tips a day from this forum, but as I've fixed more and more of my shortcomings that has slowed to just a few good tips a month for me. This is one. Ice scoops.
Thanks for reminding me of what should have been obvious to me. My vacation rentals have full size refrigerators with ice makers, and people have always just reached in with their hands. Now I have ice scoops. Will they use them? Some will, and that's better than it was!

omg_smile.gif
Madeleine said:
I used to get 3 tips a day from this forum, but as I've fixed more and more of my shortcomings that has slowed to just a few good tips a month for me. This is one. Ice scoops.
Thanks for reminding me of what should have been obvious to me. My vacation rentals have full size refrigerators with ice makers, and people have always just reached in with their hands. Now I have ice scoops. Will they use them? Some will, and that's better than it was!
Arks said:
Madeleine said:
Mentioned previously, health dept code for rentals typically requires dumping the ice out before new guests check in for that reason. (This includes ice cube trays for anyone who has those for guest use)

omg_smile.gif
Madeleine said:
The ice scoop was 3 inches from her hand. I even bought a bigger, better one. Alas.

omg_smile.gif
Madeleine said:
These ice cube bags are something that I really like. Since they are closed at the top they don't get freezer burn or dry out in the freezer either. And you only pop out the cubes you need the rest stay there.

omg_smile.gif
Madeleine said:
These ice cube bags are something that I really like. Since they are closed at the top they don't get freezer burn or dry out in the freezer either. And you only pop out the cubes you need the rest stay there.
'Splain it to me Ricky, how does this work?

omg_smile.gif
Madeleine said:
'Splain it to me Ricky, how does this work?
It's a bag that is set up like diamonds with a small water transfer between the ends. You fill at the top and it trickles down. You fold over the top, spin, twist and then tie it. And then you just lay it down in the freezer to freeze. People push out the ice they want like bubble wrap. We can actually get these at the supermarket here.
Disposable_Ice_Cube_Bag.jpg

omg_smile.gif
Madeleine said:
Jon Sable said:
These ice cube bags are something that I really like.
Yes, that's all they have in Sweden. Can't even buy huge bags of crushed ice there. They almost never put ice in drinks, so if they're having cocktail parties they'll buy one of those packets at the grocery store, with about 10 ice "balls" in it, and that's all they need. So theirs are already frozen and they pick them up in the frozen food section. It's like big bubble wrap with water/ice instead of air in the pouches.
Seems they never thought of filling an ice tray and making their own the way we used to before automatic ice makers. Indeed, I predate the plastic trays and grew up using metal ones. (you pulled the lever to eject the cubes)
41N4Nlr6BBL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

omg_smile.gif
Madeleine said:
Jon Sable said:
Yes, that's all they have in Sweden. Can't even buy huge bags of crushed ice there. They almost never put ice in drinks, so if they're having cocktail parties they'll buy one of those packets at the grocery store, with about 10 ice "balls" in it, and that's all they need. So theirs are already frozen and they pick them up in the frozen food section. It's like big bubble wrap with water/ice instead of air in the pouches.
Seems they never thought of filling an ice tray and making their own the way we used to before automatic ice makers. Indeed, I predate the plastic trays and grew up using metal ones. (you pulled the lever to eject the cubes)

We don't use a lot of ice either. I have an entire ice maker just for my guests from the south. :)

omg_smile.gif
Madeleine said:
Jon Sable said:

And made sure your hands were dry first! Ouchie!

omg_smile.gif
Madeleine said:
Jon Sable said:

Madeleine said:
You're saying you don't yearn to stick your tongue to a frozen flagpole?

Back