Your most popular or most requested breakfast item?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheBeachHouse

Reaction score
What is your most popular or most requested breakfast item?
Someone asked me the other day and my answer was 'bacon.' No matter how many vegans talk about pig intelligence, or how much we all try to avoid fat or nitrites or sodium or meat, when people sit down to a 'free' breakfast, they eat the bacon. We can't make enough!!
But as far as recipes or specialties, I think our individual zucchini quiche is number one.
What is yours?

There is no request.
People enjoy different breakfasts, but we never have a way for them to request. Of course bacon is appreciated and no gluten, no eggs, no fat, no pork, no this no that is a regular occasion with travelers.

Generally speaking, if a guest makes a request it's for a sweet. There will be notes, "I loved the blueberry pancakes last time. Wink wink."
Yes, guests love bacon, except this morning! I have about 12 slices left. But there's no choice in the morning, it's whatever Gomez is making.

Muffins! (Lemon poppy and blueberry)
Our homemade yogurt!

We don't take requests, so it's chef's choice. Some of the dishes that are the most loved weren't always what I thought that they would be and to me that is odd. And it does depend on where a guest is from.
The biggest requests we get are people who don't want their egg sunny side up in a dish, they may ask for it to be cooked hard or over easy, both of which essentially ruin the dish, but hey, I don't have to eat it, just present it.
I have been surprised by how many people love eggs poached in tomato sauce (Mediterranean Shakshuka). And quiche seems to be a favourite, though I don't do individual quiche.
We get a lot of vegetarian, no red meat, no pork requests, so it's very rare that we serve any meat at breakfast anymore.
We rotate a lot of dishes throughout the year, based on seasonality, availability of ingredients and well... my being bored of serving the same damn thing.

It has only happened once. A guest mentioned that he'd read about our blueberry pancakes. Well, the next day, you could be sure we served blueberry pancakes! I can take a hint!! :)

Like others, we don't take requests but the recipes I get asked about the most are my home made granola, our cookies and a couple of individual egg dishes. If I ask repeats whether there's something they'd like in particular, most often, it's "Oh no, we love everything you do".
I keep track of what our guests get serviced in my reservation system, and I try not to repeat what they get on a return trip.

it's a tie ... blueberry pancakes or belgian waffles (one waffle, dinner plate size)
both were served with side sausage or bacon and maple syrup
the waffles had strawberries (only in season) and blueberries on the plate and whipped cream (that I made)
the pancakes had blueberries on the plate ... no whipped cream but a dollop of whipped butter
i offered blueberry compote for those who really wanted to go for blue
blueberries freeze really well ... just don't rinse them first.

Like others, we don't take requests but the recipes I get asked about the most are my home made granola, our cookies and a couple of individual egg dishes. If I ask repeats whether there's something they'd like in particular, most often, it's "Oh no, we love everything you do".
I keep track of what our guests get serviced in my reservation system, and I try not to repeat what they get on a return trip..
We've had guests come several times in season and I've asked if they've had whatever already this year. And I get the same responses - we don't care, it's all good!
We try to not serve them the same thing one week to the next. It gets tricky.

ps It was always cook's choice but I did feature awesome pictures on the website and people would see them and say 'Are we going to have that?" Or returning guest were very hopeful. I didn't mind. I thought I needed more variety than I did! There was one guest who wanted a waffle every morning ... funny guy. He kept saying he never ate that way at home.

The question I get asked most often after breakfast is a very tentative, "Could we have the rest of our bread?" They love my English muffin bread. I have had many repeats ask for the baked oatmeal. I do not remember anything that has not been liked. I rarely make pancakes because I thought that would be something they would have at home. Am I incorrect?

The question I get asked most often after breakfast is a very tentative, "Could we have the rest of our bread?" They love my English muffin bread. I have had many repeats ask for the baked oatmeal. I do not remember anything that has not been liked. I rarely make pancakes because I thought that would be something they would have at home. Am I incorrect?.
gillumhouse said:
The question I get asked most often after breakfast is a very tentative, "Could we have the rest of our bread?" They love my English muffin bread. I have had many repeats ask for the baked oatmeal. I do not remember anything that has not been liked. I rarely make pancakes because I thought that would be something they would have at home. Am I incorrect?
Pancakes are not our most popular. Sometimes they barely get touched. I make them because they are easy and I like to add fruit to make them a little different.

Generally speaking, if a guest makes a request it's for a sweet. There will be notes, "I loved the blueberry pancakes last time. Wink wink."
Yes, guests love bacon, except this morning! I have about 12 slices left. But there's no choice in the morning, it's whatever Gomez is making..
Leftover bacon? It never makes it past DH once it hits the kitchen as "extra"!

Yes, guests love bacon, except this morning! I have about 12 slices left. But there's no choice in the morning, it's whatever Gomez is making..
Silverspoon said:
I think it was close to a full package. Even I can't eat that much in one day!

The question I get asked most often after breakfast is a very tentative, "Could we have the rest of our bread?" They love my English muffin bread. I have had many repeats ask for the baked oatmeal. I do not remember anything that has not been liked. I rarely make pancakes because I thought that would be something they would have at home. Am I incorrect?.
I don't think people make pancakes at home. Frankly, I don't think most do more than eat cereal for breakfast anymore.

I don't think people make pancakes at home. Frankly, I don't think most do more than eat cereal for breakfast anymore.
Generic said:
If that. Most guests say they never eat like this at home and we do not make big, fancy breakfasts.

Gillum, I didn't make pancakes until someone asked if we might have them one morning. And asked about blueberry as I was serving up blueberry pie in the evening. So I said sure. I had never made them before and they were easy ... I had two griddles going and just before flipping dropped a few blueberries on each one. Such raves! I think it might be a Maine thing. Something like 1/4 of US blueberries are grown there. Easier for me than the waffles. I thought I was being very slow making and plating and serving, but they were patiently waiting. You never know!

Gillum, I didn't make pancakes until someone asked if we might have them one morning. And asked about blueberry as I was serving up blueberry pie in the evening. So I said sure. I had never made them before and they were easy ... I had two griddles going and just before flipping dropped a few blueberries on each one. Such raves! I think it might be a Maine thing. Something like 1/4 of US blueberries are grown there. Easier for me than the waffles. I thought I was being very slow making and plating and serving, but they were patiently waiting. You never know!.
Considering the cost of eggs, I just may start making pancakes again. I can get blueberries all the time at a "reasonable" cost. I also have a Walnut-Oatmeal recipe that is great. And now that I have a syrup source again..... Really, though, I thought of pancakes as what people had on weekends at home. Even my boys knew the recipe for making pancakes (from scratch, not mix) without getting out the cookbook.

Back