10 ways bed & breakfast owners can use breakfast to promote their B&B

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
10 ways bed & breakfast owners can use breakfast to promote their B&B
JB - - Sometimes I feel like the red headed stepchild in this industry. We share these things all the time, there are still plenty on this forum who are regulars who do not even do anything to promote their breakfasts. But others watch and write articles about what we say. As we are tried and true! We know the drill by now!
If nothing else, the blog and facebook are a portal to display odds and ends about your inn, your personality, your guests and why someone should stay with you! Get a camera if you don't have one, and keep it handy. Document the odds and ends at your inn! This is what separates the men from the boys, in other words the amazing hospitality found at a B&B vs a chain hotel. Real people.
You should stand apart, there is only one of you and your inn! Share the uniqueness! :)

thumbs_up.gif
Wise words.

Great ideas! It never fails that I make a beautiful breakfast plate and then realize that I left the camera at home. Now, I have a new phone with a working camera that will let me post to Facebook. I hope to start doing that more often.
I tend to think of our FB page as a blog of sorts. If I were to write on a blog, I'd turn around and post it on FB anyways. Do you think that the repetitiveness of that is unnecessary (having identical info on both)? Are there things that you would post on a Blog that you wouldn't then share on FB? I can see where a blog would be a more concise place for viewers to browse than the choppy FB format. Just wondering what your thoughts are since you are doing both.

Great ideas! It never fails that I make a beautiful breakfast plate and then realize that I left the camera at home. Now, I have a new phone with a working camera that will let me post to Facebook. I hope to start doing that more often.
I tend to think of our FB page as a blog of sorts. If I were to write on a blog, I'd turn around and post it on FB anyways. Do you think that the repetitiveness of that is unnecessary (having identical info on both)? Are there things that you would post on a Blog that you wouldn't then share on FB? I can see where a blog would be a more concise place for viewers to browse than the choppy FB format. Just wondering what your thoughts are since you are doing both..
K9 said:
I tend to think of our FB page as a blog of sorts. If I were to write on a blog, I'd turn around and post it on FB anyways. Do you think that the repetitiveness of that is unnecessary (having identical info on both)? Are there things that you would post on a Blog that you wouldn't then share on FB? I can see where a blog would be a more concise place for viewers to browse than the choppy FB format. Just wondering what your thoughts are since you are doing both.
SEO BABY.
Write the blog articles with links to your inn, your town, and more. Then every time someone searches you will come up better and better. Be sure to add the inn name to the photos, if I search google images THERE THEY ARE! Pages and pages, and not one of them is from Facebook.
Not everyone is on Facebook. Many of these folks are still online however. :)
And then, like mentioned on the other post here people might FIND YOU via searching and getting your blog. They might want to do an article on a train that comes through your town, or innkeepers who do K9 rescue... Now you don't have to go lengthy on the blog, in fact a few of us were doing wordless Wednesday (you can preload/predate these all in and every Wednesday a different photo (with title) posts. These are things maybe not website or FB worthy, odds and ends.
I think you would have great blog articles, from what I see you share on FB, it is all interesting stuff. People like this sorta thing, even down to the goofy renovations or cooking photos...

I tend to think of our FB page as a blog of sorts. If I were to write on a blog, I'd turn around and post it on FB anyways. Do you think that the repetitiveness of that is unnecessary (having identical info on both)? Are there things that you would post on a Blog that you wouldn't then share on FB? I can see where a blog would be a more concise place for viewers to browse than the choppy FB format. Just wondering what your thoughts are since you are doing both..
K9 said:
SEO BABY.
Write the blog articles with links to your inn, your town, and more. Then every time someone searches you will come up better and better. Be sure to add the inn name to the photos, if I search google images THERE THEY ARE! Pages and pages, and not one of them is from Facebook.
Not everyone is on Facebook. Many of these folks are still online however. :)
And then, like mentioned on the other post here people might FIND YOU via searching and getting your blog. They might want to do an article on a train that comes through your town, or innkeepers who do K9 rescue... Now you don't have to go lengthy on the blog, in fact a few of us were doing wordless Wednesday (you can preload/predate these all in and every Wednesday a different photo (with title) posts. These are things maybe not website or FB worthy, odds and ends.
I think you would have great blog articles, from what I see you share on FB, it is all interesting stuff. People like this sorta thing, even down to the goofy renovations or cooking photos...
Well, I just created my blog! (I needed something else to do anyways)
I already had a Blogger account and had blogged for my other business, but fell out of habit. I get alot of inspiration from your blog posts, so I'm going to give it a try.

You can blog and then put a condensed version on FB with a link to the full article. Your blog has the link to your website and your booking software. See where this is going...
Plus, what I do is if one of the non-inn fan pages I belong to posts a request for certain recipes, I link my reply back to my blog. I can SEE the hits coming in. Does anyone book from that? I don't know. They might look at a recipe today and then go on vacation next year. They look at a list of inns and think, hey that's the one with that recipe I use all the time, let's go there!

I know this topic has come up before, but I'll ask again... What program do you suggest to manipulate pictures? I want to do collages, rotate, make borders, add text, etc. I have Gimp, but really struggle with learning it. It takes me way too long to do anything because I have to use trial & error all the time until I get it to do what I want.
On another note, any recommendations for a good Gimp tutorial?

I know this topic has come up before, but I'll ask again... What program do you suggest to manipulate pictures? I want to do collages, rotate, make borders, add text, etc. I have Gimp, but really struggle with learning it. It takes me way too long to do anything because I have to use trial & error all the time until I get it to do what I want.
K9 said:
Whenever I run into something on Gimp I need help with, I google the question. (how do I... Gimp) There are always tutorials from Gimp itself but others are easier to understand. (I don't think English is the Gimp guys' first language.)
It is not an easy system. But it's free.

I have used Paint Shop Pro forever and love it. I am on version X4 but there is a new X5 now. It does anything and everything you could want much cheaper than Photoshop. However I think there is Photoshop Essentials which is a much cheaper version than the one graphic designers use.

I have used Paint Shop Pro forever and love it. I am on version X4 but there is a new X5 now. It does anything and everything you could want much cheaper than Photoshop. However I think there is Photoshop Essentials which is a much cheaper version than the one graphic designers use.
Thank you for these referrals. I looked them both up - $30 each - great value.
Funny - I was on the website photo shop essentials. com and there is a paid ad at the top (AdChoices) for Paint Shop Pro X5. Ooopss

Blogs do great things for SEO - which is worth doing them even if they don't bring in reservations directly. In order to maximize the value of the time you are spending on your blog, it really should be part of your web site. Check out RSS graffitti to be able to connect your blog with your FB account, and I use FotoFlexer for pictures - free and no upgrades to be made.

Back