2018 rates

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't think people understand the operation of smaller mom & pop businesses. Made a lady mad last summer who wanted all of my rooms plus a couple I don't have for a "Saturday Only" on a busy weekend this year, offended her when I refused. Felt like pointing out that we were on the wrong side of 70 and asking what her plans were if we were dead and gone when the time for her big event arrived.

Morticia said:
Must be my day. Looking for rates for 2018, going to save up for trip.
Wanted to negotiate rate from (minimum $150) down to $90. I tried offering locations that actually charge less than that but she wanted me to come down to her price.
Said she'd call back in two years 'when the economy tanks and you need the money'.
"You're all too expensive. I've called all of you. Nobody will dicker with me."
Not sure I want two years looking forward to that stay!
in 2 years everyone's rates are going to jump way up because we will be trying to find ways to pay our help $15 an hour. :(.
Hillbilly said:
in 2 years everyone's rates are going to jump way up because we will be trying to find ways to pay our help $15 an hour. :(
Not that big a jump here. We're almost paying that now.

I don't think people understand the operation of smaller mom & pop businesses. Made a lady mad last summer who wanted all of my rooms plus a couple I don't have for a "Saturday Only" on a busy weekend this year, offended her when I refused. Felt like pointing out that we were on the wrong side of 70 and asking what her plans were if we were dead and gone when the time for her big event arrived..
JimBoone said:
I don't think people understand the operation of smaller mom & pop businesses. Made a lady mad last summer who wanted all of my rooms plus a couple I don't have for a "Saturday Only" on a busy weekend this year, offended her when I refused. Felt like pointing out that we were on the wrong side of 70 and asking what her plans were if we were dead and gone when the time for her big event arrived.
We offend a lot of people when we won't take those Saturday night singles. "But it's four rooms !"
Right, so 4 opportunities to lose several thousand dollars when someone can't book a 3 night stay in 4 rooms!

I repeat The Phineas Theorem:
"Rates are self-regulating: Higher rates weed out those who you don't want staying with you anyway."

I don't think people understand the operation of smaller mom & pop businesses. Made a lady mad last summer who wanted all of my rooms plus a couple I don't have for a "Saturday Only" on a busy weekend this year, offended her when I refused. Felt like pointing out that we were on the wrong side of 70 and asking what her plans were if we were dead and gone when the time for her big event arrived..
JimBoone said:
We offend a lot of people when we won't take those Saturday night singles. "But it's four rooms !"
Right, so 4 opportunities to lose several thousand dollars when someone can't book a 3 night stay in 4 rooms!
Except for 8 or 10 special weekends during the year we wouldn't object to a Saturday only stay, but when it is ALL rooms at the same time it adds an extra burden to the cleaning process, a lot easier if everyone doesn't depart at the same time.
I think this particular person lost me when she wanted 10 rooms, but figured she'd could cram them in since we only have 8 rooms, nope, I'll pass.
Like another thread here on the forum it comes back to price, I want to be the nice little place and not the cheap little place and part of my move to Reservation Key is hopefully to make it simpler to adjust prices at specific times.

We are the only inn in town that takes one nighters. We are 94% full in July.
One reason is the other inns refer people who ask for one night.

"Rates are self-regulating: Higher rates weed out those who you don't want staying with you anyway.".
PhineasSwann said:
"Rates are self-regulating: Higher rates weed out those who you don't want staying with you anyway."
There is a sweet spot, tho. You pass a certain price point (different depending on location) and you find yourself with a whole different group of people with their own issues.

Morticia said:
Wanted to negotiate rate from (minimum $150) down to $90. I tried offering locations that actually charge less than that but she wanted me to come down to her price.
Said she'd call back in two years 'when the economy tanks and you need the money'.
in 2 years everyone's rates are going to jump way up because we will be trying to find ways to pay our help $15 an hour. :(.
I'm already paying that.

JimBoone said:
Except for 8 or 10 special weekends during the year we wouldn't object to a Saturday only stay, but when it is ALL rooms at the same time it adds an extra burden to the cleaning process, a lot easier if everyone doesn't depart at the same time.
I think this particular person lost me when she wanted 10 rooms, but figured she'd could cram them in since we only have 8 rooms, nope, I'll pass.
Like another thread here on the forum it comes back to price, I want to be the nice little place and not the cheap little place and part of my move to Reservation Key is hopefully to make it simpler to adjust prices at specific times.
plus you get the attitude of we have booked the whole place so we are entitled to XYZ and XYZ rules do not apply to me blah blah -

"Rates are self-regulating: Higher rates weed out those who you don't want staying with you anyway.".
PhineasSwann said:
There is a sweet spot, tho. You pass a certain price point (different depending on location) and you find yourself with a whole different group of people with their own issues.
That's always my goal, weed out the rough element, but stay simple (cheap) enough to attract the easy going everyday folks that are not too demanding.

PhineasSwann said:
That's always my goal, weed out the rough element, but stay simple (cheap) enough to attract the easy going everyday folks that are not too demanding.
JimBoone said:
Yes. That.

JimBoone said:
plus you get the attitude of we have booked the whole place so we are entitled to XYZ and XYZ rules do not apply to me blah blah -
Jcam said:
X2. They believe they own the place and you are nothing but a server to be summoned.

Morticia said:
I'm already paying that.
X2 and worth every penny! Been with us now for 6 years, loves to clean. I'd pay more!

PhineasSwann said:
Morticia said:
PhineasSwann said:
Yes. Agreed.
In Southern Cal we called it "new money" and the attitude it came with was harsh. Generally speaking, the old money don't rent the most expensive room and are unpretentious lovely people.

PhineasSwann said:
Morticia said:
PhineasSwann said:
Yes. Agreed.
In Southern Cal we called it "new money" and the attitude it came with was harsh. Generally speaking, the old money don't rent the most expensive room and are unpretentious lovely people.
Our family saying was - You can tell the new rich. They have to tell you how much everything cost.

One reason is the other inns refer people who ask for one night..
TheBeachHouse said:
One reason is the other inns refer people who ask for one night.
One of the only ones here as well. Our website is set up for two or more nights so people have to call or email for an one night stay which helps us to put them in the same room so we are flipping one room night after night and leave the others open for longer stays.
Don't go crazy or end up in the hospital. My aunt just left for the rest of the today to get away from the house and all our lovely guests. She said when she heard someone in the front hall this afternoon, her first thought was "Go away!" not "Hello!". Time to leave and get away from people….

We did just get a booking for July 2017. No arguments about the rate, either..
We got a booking for 2020. Our most repeat customer. We just block the calendar and he shows up.

Latest posts

Back