5 Reasons Your Business Should Be Blogging

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got a WordPress blog up and running today. We're still a few weeks from beginning construction to rehabilitate my 1902 building for tourist accommodations, so I decided to blog about the construction project, then I'll turn it into a guesthouse blog once I get the thing open. That way I'll get some experience and begin getting my website a few SEO points.
I'll also blog about local events, things to do here, etc. Good practice.
The WordPress deal is nice, since all the files are right in there in my own web host directory and the blog address is just http://www.MyWebSite.com/blog
I have a lot to learn, and am worn out after a day of setting it up and learning about it, but will do some blog posting soon...I promise myself..
I too like the construction/behind the scenese images and articles. I love the blog in Michigan who is remodeling the old hotel and mansion. Sorry I haven't had my coffee yet, I forgot the name of it...something Lodge in the woods. Can someone share that blog link again, I have it here...somewhere...must be the lunar eclipse causing this...
WAIT! I REMEMBERED THE NAME!
http://birchlodge.blogspot.com/
I'll study the birchlodge pages. Thanks!
The older pages show the reno's. I actually love the outdoorsy and birding type blogs too intermingled, to me if I were a guest I would anticipate their grand opening!

Got a WordPress blog up and running today. We're still a few weeks from beginning construction to rehabilitate my 1902 building for tourist accommodations, so I decided to blog about the construction project, then I'll turn it into a guesthouse blog once I get the thing open. That way I'll get some experience and begin getting my website a few SEO points.
The WordPress deal is nice, since all the files are right in there in my own web host directory and the blog address is just http://www.MyWebSite.com/blog
I have a lot to learn, and am worn out after a day of setting it up and learning about it, but will do some blog posting soon...I promise myself..
P. You have really interesting projects coning in 2012 and 2013, good luck! I like the floorplan, makes it a lot easier to visualize. Will you add the original floorplan? Hope you add some pictures soon......

P. You have really interesting projects coning in 2012 and 2013, good luck! I like the floorplan, makes it a lot easier to visualize. Will you add the original floorplan? Hope you add some pictures soon......
Bommelhoeve said:
Will you add the original floorplan? Hope you add some pictures soon......
The Lesmeister building was built as a grocery store and a "variety store" (clothes, horse saddles, everything you can imagine) so originally it was just two large open spaces. No interior walls. No floor plan. It didn't even have a bathroom or electricity when it was built.
In our restoration of the building, most of the internal walls of the apartments will not go all the way up to the original ceilings, so you will still be able to get some of the feel of the large open space that was there originally. The building still has the original pressed metal ceilings, 13 feet (4 meters) high.
Yes, I'll be posting photos of how the buildings looked when I bought them, and photos of the construction projects...if they ever get the projects started!!!

So far I have found that most times when I allow comments (they are moderated than goodness) I just get crap with links to crap. have allowed a few that at least appeared to be OK.
I have Wordpress as part of my web site. It is in a drop-down menu so perhaps I will add a link to it on my history page and my about us page so it gets more attention. I do not blog as often as I should - will wait to add links until after I am done with the Re ade rs Di ge st voting. That is comsuming as we try to stay in the money. At least the captchas have become easier to see and read.

So far I have found that most times when I allow comments (they are moderated than goodness) I just get crap with links to crap. have allowed a few that at least appeared to be OK.
I have Wordpress as part of my web site. It is in a drop-down menu so perhaps I will add a link to it on my history page and my about us page so it gets more attention. I do not blog as often as I should - will wait to add links until after I am done with the Re ade rs Di ge st voting. That is comsuming as we try to stay in the money. At least the captchas have become easier to see and read..
gillumhouse said:
I have Wordpress as part of my web site.
I signed up for the $5/month Akismet plugin for WordPress that's supposed to pretty much eliminate spam posts. I probably should have waited a while to see if it was a problem before spending money, but I hate spam and don't want to spend valuable time combating it. I figured it was worth 16 cents a day to not have it bothering me!

I have Wordpress as part of my web site. It is in a drop-down menu so perhaps I will add a link to it on my history page and my about us page so it gets more attention. I do not blog as often as I should - will wait to add links until after I am done with the Re ade rs Di ge st voting. That is comsuming as we try to stay in the money. At least the captchas have become easier to see and read..
gillumhouse said:
I signed up for the $5/month Akismet plugin for WordPress that's supposed to pretty much eliminate spam posts. I probably should have waited a while to see if it was a problem before spending money, but I hate spam and don't want to spend valuable time combating it. I figured it was worth 16 cents a day to not have it bothering me!
Arkansawyer said:
gillumhouse said:
It's worth it. Especially if you don't check your blog everyday. If you moderate posts the spam doesn't get posted, but you also have to be on top of that as well as valid posters start emailing you asking how come their post didn't show up. (Yes, they do!)

gillumhouse said:
I get an e-mail there is a comment pending. So I am on it right away.

Oooo. Nice. I just ran a cross a very nice feature of WordPress (and perhaps other blogging software). It lets you write what's on your mind now, but set it to post at a future date and time.
I don't want to over do it and wear people out with more than one blog post/day, but sometimes I can see that something will pop into my mind and I want to write about it while the idea is fresh. This post-dating of posts can be just what I need for that.
For instance, I've already made one blog post today, but I just had some thoughts about the concept of "slow travel" so I wrote my post and set it to appear tomorrow at 9:20 a.m., my time.
I'm going to like blogging. I have much to say, whether anybody's listening or not!

Oooo. Nice. I just ran a cross a very nice feature of WordPress (and perhaps other blogging software). It lets you write what's on your mind now, but set it to post at a future date and time.
I don't want to over do it and wear people out with more than one blog post/day, but sometimes I can see that something will pop into my mind and I want to write about it while the idea is fresh. This post-dating of posts can be just what I need for that.
For instance, I've already made one blog post today, but I just had some thoughts about the concept of "slow travel" so I wrote my post and set it to appear tomorrow at 9:20 a.m., my time.
I'm going to like blogging. I have much to say, whether anybody's listening or not!.
Thanks for the pictures! What can I say, this is more like rebuilding......... a lot of work, but I am sure the end will be great...

I'm going to like blogging. I have much to say, whether anybody's listening or not!.
Thanks for the pictures! What can I say, this is more like rebuilding......... a lot of work, but I am sure the end will be great...
Yes, it is a wonderful opportunity to take the outer shell of a great old building and give it new life while keeping much of the original character.
The more interesting project will be the St. Charles B&B, which I hope to get started next year. That building is from 1860 and still has the original floor plan upstairs, with rooms and hallways we can preserve and renew.
So I will have much to blog about while the carpenters do all the hard work!

Blogger has that feature as well and it is a life saver! Some days I have the blogging bug and some weeks I forget I have a blog. This feature makes it easy to set up 3-4 blog posts and have them show up 1/week.

Back