6 night cancelation starting yesterday-grr

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We are livid. Seriously, anyone want to buy an Inn in the Caribbean (beaches are great! We-5 years-are burnt out) Here is my reply:
Good afternoon Maggie,
Thank you for your email.
Regarding your threats below, you are free to respond in any way that you find appropriate, however our policies are clearly written to protect you & ensure that you have a room when you arrive.
As a very small business we depend on guaranteed reservations. Your last minute cancellation, as we replied previously, has a large impact. It is for this reason that we strongly suggest trip insurance (please see your confirmation email) & also verbally & in writing (confirmation email & website) make every effort to be completely transparent about our policies, even stating that there are “no exceptions.” We are not sure how this can be more clear.
We make every attempt to be fair to all guests. Had we NOT adheared to our end of the contractual agreeement, & instead, upon your arrival, you had found out that we had given your room away to another person via the "spirit of the policy", it is highly likely that you would have felt disgruntled.
We take personal responsiblity for our reservations & our policies & expect that that same personal responsiblity will be exercised by those making making bookings.
We wish you the best in the new year.
[/td][/tr][/table].
May 2011 bring only the nice people to your shores.
Thankfully, this woman and her ilk are in the minority.

Paradise, all I can say is we are here for you and sorry for this flippin' disruption into your lives! Don't second guess yourself, you know what is right, and how to run YOUR business.
PS Pls make sure you keep copies of all her threats.

We are livid. Seriously, anyone want to buy an Inn in the Caribbean (beaches are great! We-5 years-are burnt out) Here is my reply:
Good afternoon Maggie,
Regarding your threats below, you are free to respond in any way that you find appropriate, however our policies are clearly written to protect you & ensure that you have a room when you arrive.
As a very small business we depend on guaranteed reservations. Your last minute cancellation, as we replied previously, has a large impact. It is for this reason that we strongly suggest trip insurance (please see your confirmation email) & also verbally & in writing (confirmation email & website) make every effort to be completely transparent about our policies, even stating that there are “no exceptions.” We are not sure how this can be more clear.
We make every attempt to be fair to all guests. Had we NOT adheared to our end of the contractual agreeement, & instead, upon your arrival, you had found out that we had given your room away to another person via the "spirit of the policy", it is highly likely that you would have felt disgruntled.
We take personal responsiblity for our reservations & our policies & expect that that same personal responsiblity will be exercised by those making making bookings.
[/td][/tr][/table].
Your reply is fantastic. Clear, concise, professional. If she does do a review, it will be quite clear what her problem is, esp. if you follow up with as well-worded a management reply as you did here. I so especially love your reference to her mention of the "spirit" of the policy.
Here's the other thing, most credit cards have some kind of travel protection built into them, why don't people try going that route instead of beating up the small business owner?
Have you LOOKED AT the restrictions on trip cancellation insurance on any credit card policy? It's a selling point to get you to take the card, good luck trying to claim on it

Good afternoon Maggie,
[/td][/tr][/table].
Sorry this happened to you. Really sorry.... I think that it's terrible that there are travelers out there that can try and hold innkeepers hostage with a threat of a bad review.
Unfortunately, there's no telling where a bad review can come from....even if you do everything right! I have an innkeeper friend who hosts weddings and thought that they had really gone the extra mile for a couple and then the most horrible, vile reviews were posted on every review site! It baffles me because I've stayed with them a couple of times and they excel at being innkeepers and offer the most outstanding customer service! I can't imagine that they wouldn't have done an excellent job for this couple for their wedding.
Whatever happens, don't let this get you down and make you doubt your professionalism as an innkeeper. Great responses!!

Good afternoon Maggie,
[/td][/tr][/table].
Your reply is fantastic. Clear, concise, professional. If she does do a review, it will be quite clear what her problem is, esp. if you follow up with as well-worded a management reply as you did here. I so especially love your reference to her mention of the "spirit" of the policy.
Here's the other thing, most credit cards have some kind of travel protection built into them, why don't people try going that route instead of beating up the small business owner?
Have you LOOKED AT the restrictions on trip cancellation insurance on any credit card policy? It's a selling point to get you to take the card, good luck trying to claim on it
No, I've never looked at it but I know our Amex offers it automatically, it's not something I pay extra for. When our cross-country guests had to cancel 48 hours out for a very popular weekend here the woman was screaming mad that I would charge her. I tried to re-rent the room but it was too late. I charged her, then sent her all of the credit card slips and our correspondence so that she would have documentation for her trip insurance or credit card carrier. She THANKED me because it ended up her cc DID offer some recompense and she needed the documentation.
Honestly, the two years we took cruises with tacked on pre- and post-cruise vacation days, for an approximately $3000 vacation the trip insurance was $200...well worth it in our case because we live in a snowy area and we totally anticipated having weather ruin something (which thankfully it never did). To me there is just no excuse not to purchase this if you know there is even the slightest chance you will have to cancel.
My point is it is the onus of the traveler to be responsible for themselves when things like this go wrong. Bad behavior is bad behavior, and whining and pouting because the rules are being applied to you is BAD BEHAVIOR. Threatening to write a bad review because the rules applied to you is BAD BEHAVIOR. I'm just saying don't reward it.

Good afternoon Maggie,
[/td][/tr][/table].
No, I've never looked at it but I know our Amex offers it automatically, it's not something I pay extra for. When our cross-country guests had to cancel 48 hours out for a very popular weekend here the woman was screaming mad that I would charge her. I tried to re-rent the room but it was too late. I charged her, then sent her all of the credit card slips and our correspondence so that she would have documentation for her trip insurance or credit card carrier. She THANKED me because it ended up her cc DID offer some recompense and she needed the documentation.
Honestly, the two years we took cruises with tacked on pre- and post-cruise vacation days, for an approximately $3000 vacation the trip insurance was $200...well worth it in our case because we live in a snowy area and we totally anticipated having weather ruin something (which thankfully it never did). To me there is just no excuse not to purchase this if you know there is even the slightest chance you will have to cancel.
My point is it is the onus of the traveler to be responsible for themselves when things like this go wrong. Bad behavior is bad behavior, and whining and pouting because the rules are being applied to you is BAD BEHAVIOR. Threatening to write a bad review because the rules applied to you is BAD BEHAVIOR. I'm just saying don't reward it.
Don Draper said:
I couldn't agree more!
When my mother became quite elderly, I started buying trip insurance for our vacations. When we book an vacation to the Caribbean during hurricane season, I buy trip insurance...smaller trips no. You have to hedge your bet...if you don't have it and something goes wrong, you lose. It's personal responsibility.

Here is the email we just received from the guest (you can see my email below hers re: her cancellation).
Nice responsibility for their actions...
OK, if that's your policy, then I will not be contacting you again regarding this. I did notice that you have charged us the the remaining balance; you seem more in tune with the "letter of the policy" than the "spirit of the policy."
My policy is to post experiences like this on Trip Advisor.Sincerely,Maggie________________________________________Good morning Maggie,Unfortunately, as unforseen events do occur we strongly suggest trip insurance. This is clearly stated in your confirmation email.Moreover, we have made the commitment to honor a reservation for you, thus having turned away other business. We are a very small business & as such a last minute cancellation, has a very large impact. We make every attempt to be fair & honest with our policies & have them transparently in writing on our website & in all confirmation emails, as well as the fact that we verbally repeat them when making bookings.Please note that as per our cancellation policy, which, when you made your reservation you agreed that by making a booking you agree that you have read, understood, & agree to our cancellation policy.As mentioned in our previous email, we will make every attempt to re-rent your room at this late date, however we have told many others that we were full for these dates, again, having contractually reserved the room for your stay.Best,.
Nicely worded reply!

Well her nasty review showed up on Trip Advisor last night. Her first post-member since 12/27-thus signed up w/TA JUST to defame on a public forum.
Course we did our "manager's reply" (for all the good that does), but it takes 2-3 days to post..
Really Disgusting!

Well her nasty review showed up on Trip Advisor last night. Her first post-member since 12/27-thus signed up w/TA JUST to defame on a public forum.
Course we did our "manager's reply" (for all the good that does), but it takes 2-3 days to post..
Really Disgusting!.
Look at it this way: She's out of your life forever. Her karma will come around to bite her, I"m sure of it. And I'm sure others reading her review will be able to see through her anger...I know I would.

Really Disgusting!.
Look at it this way: She's out of your life forever. Her karma will come around to bite her, I"m sure of it. And I'm sure others reading her review will be able to see through her anger...I know I would.
Hopefully she was as stupid in writing her review as the one I had- I had the same problem with someone who wanted to have permission to cancel the Friday of a four day holiday weekend because her husband's grandmother "might die" but "would probably rally"
RIki

Really Disgusting!.
I know it's tough to see the bright side at the moment, but think of it this way. Now that it's been made perfectly clear on TA that you stand behind your policies, the public knows that if there is a possibility that a problem could arise, they need to get travel insurance or take the risk. This is not a bad reflection of you. I admire you for sticking with your policies, sometimes it's difficult to do. From all of us who stick by our policies, THANK YOU!

Good afternoon Maggie,
[/td][/tr][/table].
Sorry this happened to you. Really sorry.... I think that it's terrible that there are travelers out there that can try and hold innkeepers hostage with a threat of a bad review.
Unfortunately, there's no telling where a bad review can come from....even if you do everything right! I have an innkeeper friend who hosts weddings and thought that they had really gone the extra mile for a couple and then the most horrible, vile reviews were posted on every review site! It baffles me because I've stayed with them a couple of times and they excel at being innkeepers and offer the most outstanding customer service! I can't imagine that they wouldn't have done an excellent job for this couple for their wedding.
Whatever happens, don't let this get you down and make you doubt your professionalism as an innkeeper. Great responses!!
I had a lady write a mean review and I found out afterwards it was because I had done a mailing (they came for a specific conference) saying want to come again for 2011 special price and sent them on a postcard. I sent out about 10 and I had missed the stamp off hers so it came back to me. I mean really are we five?

Back