A Look at the Sharing Economy

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I live in a place without major industry. The majority of people here 'make a living' by doing multiple jobs. A big difference is they can mostly set a decent rate. But they don't always get the hours they need. The guy who plows the driveway has 2 other jobs. Almost all the innkeepers I know do something else and not a full-time job.
I just finished up a year trading a membership for some online writing. Didn't even come close to minimum wage.

Ask someone in my State, "How are ya doin'" The answer more often than not will be, "Gettin' by." Yes, 2 and 3 jobs is the norm. Coal miners are being laid off. Power plants are being closed down. Even frackers are being laid off with the low gas prices. Glass, steel, chemicals, and coal - the backbone of our economy are either going or gone. We are re-inventing ourselves again, but it will take some time to start flourishing (if ever). What we do have is reasons for tourism. Scenery, extreme sports, things like a lunatic asylum, a coal mine, a prison as attractions, history, hunting, fishing..... We are the playground of the East as we are within 600 miles of most of the Country east of the Mississippi.

Yes, "sharing" is the current buzzword. TIME Magazine had a cover article on it last week, and Consumer Reports also had an article on sharing cars, spare bedrooms, even meals. There's actually a Uber-type app where you can post what you're having for dinner and charge people to join you!!
What's next? Share your kids? Share your bed? The lack of tax being charged on this stuff will drive our state and local government crazy. And do you think people are reporting this sharing income to the IRS? Ha!
No, you cannot drive my Tesla. (It hasn't even been born yet, but still...)

Yes, "sharing" is the current buzzword. TIME Magazine had a cover article on it last week, and Consumer Reports also had an article on sharing cars, spare bedrooms, even meals. There's actually a Uber-type app where you can post what you're having for dinner and charge people to join you!!
What's next? Share your kids? Share your bed? The lack of tax being charged on this stuff will drive our state and local government crazy. And do you think people are reporting this sharing income to the IRS? Ha!
No, you cannot drive my Tesla. (It hasn't even been born yet, but still...).
A fair amount of it could be backlash against companies/government that sent/allowed to be sent jobs overseas.
Fine. Take my job, but I still have to eat. Let me see what I can do with the skills I have.
Or people who can't stand being 'tied down' to a 9-5 job.
I see the point of the article in that the owners of the 'economy' are the only ones getting rich. Which will lead, as it did in the early 20th century to the formation of unions and collective bargaining and we're back where we started.

No, you cannot drive my Tesla. (It hasn't even been born yet, but still...).
A fair amount of it could be backlash against companies/government that sent/allowed to be sent jobs overseas.
Fine. Take my job, but I still have to eat. Let me see what I can do with the skills I have.
Or people who can't stand being 'tied down' to a 9-5 job.
I see the point of the article in that the owners of the 'economy' are the only ones getting rich. Which will lead, as it did in the early 20th century to the formation of unions and collective bargaining and we're back where we started.
That's how it goes. We are in a large consolidation of wealth cycle. We're just hoping to come out the other side as at least a shareholder of the wealth, if not an owner.
Don't you think small business owners are actually a great category to be in during times like these?
If you can carve out your niche, it's historically been where the middle class can hang out until the working class comes closer again.

It's essentially slave labour and a way to get things under minimum wage. People will do stupid things.

Back