A warm welcome to the new forum members

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Late in the welcome. I have 3 rooms and do it myself with Himself who does dishes and runs the vac (most of the time). He is an artist but is unable to do much of the things he used to do. We just had our 20 year B & B anniversary in July..
Ha ha! Dishes and vacuuming are exactly what my better half also prefers to do.
A man running a vacuum is a wonderful sight to see!

Thank you everyone. I have been reading posts for a few weeks and decided to join yesterday. I think everyone in this business needs someone to "talk" to who can empathize through the ups and downs.
I have a very small B&B (four rooms) inside a 5,000 acre resort near the Appalachian Trail in Western NC. I have been at this for twelve years, do my own cooking, cleaning and decorating. I went to culinary school and owned a restaurant a few years back. I also have a geology and travel background (Pan Am Flight Attendant), worked in Interior Design and even taught HS Science. My husband, high school sweetheart and fellow Gator, is a Mechanical Contractor, Plumber and Tax Accountant. Our backgrounds enable us to run a lean B&B without employees. Our daughters are both grown and I am past the stage of being willing to deal with employees anymore. Instead of employees I have a commercial dishwasher, and iRobots. LOL
Over the years I have been blessed with wonderful guests 99% of the time and love meeting new people, but when they all check out I like my solitude. (Don't we all?)
I look forward to interacting and learning from the best on this site. Thanks for letting me "inn"..
Roxanne Trees said:
... I am past the stage of being willing to deal with employees anymore. Instead of employees I have a commercial dishwasher, and iRobots....
2 rooms here, and similar skills from previous lives. Jealous of the iRobot though!
regular_smile.gif

welcome.jpg

Thanks.
My iRobot has my dining room gleaming before the guests get down the driveway. It is great for getting under beds too and unlike employees, it needs minimal supervision and draws no pay.

I'm right behind you JB to shake their hands next. Welcome! Tell us a little about yourselves and make yourselves at home here. You came to the right place!.
A Big welcome .
I stop by every day with my coffee in hand and a good comfy chair. I have a small B&B in Canada. I have been at this business for 16 years. At this time I am at the mercy of a massive flood and I won't be opening up fully this year.
This is thee best place to be. Such wonderful people come in every day.Yes we share ideas and and can let off steam and know you are safe to do so, if you had a bad day. I think it is safe to say we have all been there one time or the other.
Thank you Flower.
I agree, there are times when I need to vent and family and friends just don't understand. A good vent does wonders for retaining my sanity and resetting my attitude.

4 rooms must be the magic number for many of us without employees. I'm coming close to 9 years doing this. In a non-tourist town I tend to be surprised from one year to the next when my "busy" season turns out to be. Now that I'm in my "golden" (Medicare) years I'm not worried about marketing and OTA's, nor do I want to learn a new reservation system, so I'm not posting as much as I used to.
I do want to welcome the new posters, you'll find opportunities to both give and receive advice. Happy to call you all Innmates
heart.gif
Inmates, perfect!
I agree that four is about the limit for doing it all yourself. Then if you add another room or two, I figure it won't up the profits, just serve to pay employees. I am guessing the next step would be to go to at least seven or eight rooms.
I too am approaching SS and medicare. More rooms are beyond my "wanna do" these days but it might have been an option years ago. I applaud those who do it.

Thank you everyone. I have been reading posts for a few weeks and decided to join yesterday. I think everyone in this business needs someone to "talk" to who can empathize through the ups and downs.
I have a very small B&B (four rooms) inside a 5,000 acre resort near the Appalachian Trail in Western NC. I have been at this for twelve years, do my own cooking, cleaning and decorating. I went to culinary school and owned a restaurant a few years back. I also have a geology and travel background (Pan Am Flight Attendant), worked in Interior Design and even taught HS Science. My husband, high school sweetheart and fellow Gator, is a Mechanical Contractor, Plumber and Tax Accountant. Our backgrounds enable us to run a lean B&B without employees. Our daughters are both grown and I am past the stage of being willing to deal with employees anymore. Instead of employees I have a commercial dishwasher, and iRobots. LOL
Over the years I have been blessed with wonderful guests 99% of the time and love meeting new people, but when they all check out I like my solitude. (Don't we all?)
I look forward to interacting and learning from the best on this site. Thanks for letting me "inn"..
Welcome Roxanne! Thanks for the introduction - I also own a 4 room B&B, and do it all myself (no spouse). Sometimes, it's just so much easier than dealing with employees, as you say. I look forward to your input!
Banana, I do not know how you do it solo. You must be an amazing person! I can imagine the thought of employees would be one way to spur you on.
I started the business at 36. I am now 48 and the inn is on the market. Some days, I feel and move like a 78 year old!

In our 13th year owning and operating this 6 guest room inn, empty nest now (but raised two kids while operating the B&B), we host elopements, and try to shy away from most functions and events here (although we have done a few of those). Married 28 years in January to my best friend, who works here and outside the inn.
"Innkeeping ain't for wimps"

HI! Late to the party as usual.
My husband runs a 6 room B&B Inn on the North Shore of Boston. We bought it 3 years ago.
I help with marketing and finding recipes he can handle. He CAN cook, he just doesn't really like to .
I love the business and wish I could do it full time, but have to have a job in the big city in order to afford the big mortgage. I fear for the future of B&B's in this town because the real estate values far outpace the inn business value.

Hi! My name is Natalie and my husband (to-be) starting managing a historic B&B in downtown Fredericton, New Brunswick, Canada in January 2015. A month later, our beautiful baby arrived. We are getting in our groove in being stay-at-home parents (but working/on-call 24/7) of a very busy Inn and maintaining our sanity. I should mention we do not own the property; the Owner lives out of province and entrusts us with all daily management. I joined this forum to get some insight as I know this is a very unique job (also, I have become very introspective as a new, 30-ish old Mother!)

Just started our 16th year with our full service (special order lunches and dinners) 1 room, 2 suites, 1 cottage b&b on the left coast of U.S. Past few years we added small weddings & elopements. We both work our property full time. Every day is different and it's great to have a bunch of other innkeepers to understand what our joys and frustrations are.
WELCOME!

11 room B&B in the UK just about 2 weeks off buying a 2nd property next door which needs a full refurb - will add another 16 rooms - wish us luck!.
Oh... did I miss it? Did you get the property? Two weeks away from signing?
we have exchanged contracts and hoping to complete ie final legal rubbish next friday the 26th or earlier if bank gets a move on. The idiots never mentioned at any time they wanted searches done on my currant place so my/their solicitor didn't put in for them as was only security so they usually don't bother as they cost about $1000 a pop - so they announced last minute they wanted them and its taken till today for them to come back from the council as they have updated their computers in that department and everything is back logged so been waiting for that to come back then good to go!

Hi! My name is Natalie and my husband (to-be) starting managing a historic B&B in downtown Fredericton, New Brunswick, Canada in January 2015. A month later, our beautiful baby arrived. We are getting in our groove in being stay-at-home parents (but working/on-call 24/7) of a very busy Inn and maintaining our sanity. I should mention we do not own the property; the Owner lives out of province and entrusts us with all daily management. I joined this forum to get some insight as I know this is a very unique job (also, I have become very introspective as a new, 30-ish old Mother!).
Welcome, Nataliebee!

Welcome newbies! Glad to have ya here.
DH & I have 5 guest rooms and have just celebrated our 18th B&B Anniversary.

11 room B&B in the UK just about 2 weeks off buying a 2nd property next door which needs a full refurb - will add another 16 rooms - wish us luck!.
Oh... did I miss it? Did you get the property? Two weeks away from signing?
we have exchanged contracts and hoping to complete ie final legal rubbish next friday the 26th or earlier if bank gets a move on. The idiots never mentioned at any time they wanted searches done on my currant place so my/their solicitor didn't put in for them as was only security so they usually don't bother as they cost about $1000 a pop - so they announced last minute they wanted them and its taken till today for them to come back from the council as they have updated their computers in that department and everything is back logged so been waiting for that to come back then good to go!
thumbs_up.gif
Glad to hear! Then on to remodeling!

Welcome new innmates!
Here on the shore, we are in our fifth season (and five years on this forum) managing a business started by one of our grandparents back in the late 1940's. We have 9 "housekeeping" cottages, thus 9 kitchens, 9 living rooms, 13 bathrooms, 18 bedrooms, and 46 beds, sleeping up to 56 people! We host weddings and events, but not during our peak season. We also run a mini-marina and a boat rental business from our dock, too ...
(oh, and we're also juggling other jobs and lives in another state at the same time! Welcome to the madness... )

Welcome!!! I opened our 3 guest room B&B 8 years ago! Everyone else has said it all. Lots of good info here.

Welcome Everyone! Hubby and I have a 5 room B&B and at just a year and a half, still feel like newbies! As a B&B 'youngster', I often don't have much to contribute, but love to check-in each morning and see how everyone is doing. Chat, vent, laugh, cry; the forum header says it all!

4 rooms must be the magic number for many of us without employees. I'm coming close to 9 years doing this. In a non-tourist town I tend to be surprised from one year to the next when my "busy" season turns out to be. Now that I'm in my "golden" (Medicare) years I'm not worried about marketing and OTA's, nor do I want to learn a new reservation system, so I'm not posting as much as I used to.
I do want to welcome the new posters, you'll find opportunities to both give and receive advice. Happy to call you all Innmates
heart.gif
Inmates, perfect!
I agree that four is about the limit for doing it all yourself. Then if you add another room or two, I figure it won't up the profits, just serve to pay employees. I am guessing the next step would be to go to at least seven or eight rooms.
I too am approaching SS and medicare. More rooms are beyond my "wanna do" these days but it might have been an option years ago. I applaud those who do it.
Sometimes the decision is made for you in the regs of your State. In West Virginia, if you have that 7th room, you need to install a commercial kitchen. Most of the B & Bs in West Virginia are 6 rooms or less.

Welcome all!
I too have a four bedroom B&B in waaaay eastern Canada, which up until now I've been doing myself. However, our season is much shorter than most (May to September with with little or moderate traffic other times of the year). I will be looking for help next year. DH has tried but he's busy too and we're building a greenhouse this year along with raised gardenbeds to grow some of our own produce next year. With all my laundry, future gardening time and involvement with a local women's entrepeneur group, my time is limited.
Plus, I'm sorry, I want to enjoy my beautiful province and my beautiful views. This forum has proven invaluable with advice and listening ears. We might start a brawl if we're all in the same room, but we still love each other!

Back