A weekend of nothingness

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, as you all know, we have closed the two suites in the house until April. Because of the huge amount of snow we have received in the last 2 months, the cottage, open beginning March 1, is not accessible without a fair amount of work on our part.
But as a professional curtesy for a couple of innkeepers down from Morticia's state on their way to PA, we opened the large suite in the main house for a 1 night reservation last night. Soooo, it meant heating that end of the house, lighting the fireplace for ambiance, baking cookies and mulling cider for arrival and getting back into the swing of making breakfast....for a greatly reduced rate. Will be putting in another order for fuel oil today. sigh More snow too.
Soon I will begin blocking out rooms during the shoulder season to avoid the "one-room-booked" mid-week syndrome in this location during the early spring. It just does not make sense to get the inn keeping machine revved up for one couple..
Silverspoon said:
Well, as you all know, we have closed the two suites in the house until April. Because of the huge amount of snow we have received in the last 2 months, the cottage, open beginning March 1, is not accessible without a fair amount of work on our part.
But as a professional curtesy for a couple of innkeepers down from Morticia's state on their way to PA, we opened the large suite in the main house for a 1 night reservation last night. Soooo, it meant heating that end of the house, lighting the fireplace for ambiance, baking cookies and mulling cider for arrival and getting back into the swing of making breakfast....for a greatly reduced rate. Will be putting in another order for fuel oil today. sigh More snow too.
Soon I will begin blocking out rooms during the shoulder season to avoid the "one-room-booked" mid-week syndrome in this location during the early spring. It just does not make sense to get the inn keeping machine revved up for one couple.
Thank you Silvers. and I was thinking about you and all this weather, stay safe and warm. We have a rainbow of colors on our radar at the moment - some fluke of 60-70 degree weather yesterday is bringing tornadoes and more, ice storms, and the whole enchilada. Not worth it, I agree. I did block off our cottage for sure for this weekend and as of right now I may just shut er all down, it's Thursday.
Be safe!
My Saturday rez is from Mass - I am wondering how it is going to turn out. If it was for today I think I would have called them offering to cancel with no penalty. Money is not worth it. I shoveled a path for the mail lady and by the time the mail came you could hardly see the path. Paid a couple kids $5 each to clear path to my car - DH says they did a crap job - they did what I asked for what I was paying them which I ONLY did to encourage them to keep looking for WORK. It is still snowing and blowing. I told the guy who I really pay to dig me out to wait until Saturday morning. Waste of his time and my money otherwise.
Had a no show last night and their card was declined. Figured, this time of year. Have another one tonight and I honestly hope they don't show up either. I just wish they'd call and let me know.
2cat_lady said:
Had a no show last night and their card was declined. Figured, this time of year. Have another one tonight and I honestly hope they don't show up either. I just wish they'd call and let me know.
They came and I'm glad they did! They have rental properties in the area and we're looking for a 'nice' place to stay that was closer than where they usually stay in St. John's. I smell repeat.

Soon I will begin blocking out rooms during the shoulder season to avoid the "one-room-booked" mid-week syndrome in this location during the early spring. It just does not make sense to get the inn keeping machine revved up for one couple..
Silverspoon said:
Soon I will begin blocking out rooms during the shoulder season to avoid the "one-room-booked" mid-week syndrome in this location during the early spring. It just does not make sense to get the inn keeping machine revved up for one couple.
Thank you Silvers. and I was thinking about you and all this weather, stay safe and warm. We have a rainbow of colors on our radar at the moment - some fluke of 60-70 degree weather yesterday is bringing tornadoes and more, ice storms, and the whole enchilada. Not worth it, I agree. I did block off our cottage for sure for this weekend and as of right now I may just shut er all down, it's Thursday.
Be safe!
My Saturday rez is from Mass - I am wondering how it is going to turn out. If it was for today I think I would have called them offering to cancel with no penalty. Money is not worth it. I shoveled a path for the mail lady and by the time the mail came you could hardly see the path. Paid a couple kids $5 each to clear path to my car - DH says they did a crap job - they did what I asked for what I was paying them which I ONLY did to encourage them to keep looking for WORK. It is still snowing and blowing. I told the guy who I really pay to dig me out to wait until Saturday morning. Waste of his time and my money otherwise.
2cat_lady said:
They came and I'm glad they did! They have rental properties in the area and we're looking for a 'nice' place to stay that was closer than where they usually stay in St. John's. I smell repeat.
2cat_lady said:
thumbs_up.gif

Silverspoon said:
Be safe!
2cat_lady said:
2cat_lady said:
2cat_lady said:
Wonderful! Also they might recommend you to renters for their friends and families.

Silverspoon said:
Be safe!
Thanks JB. We are still snowing here...another 8-10" it looks like. But I would rather have the snow than tornadoes and ice. Yikes! What a see-saw winter we have all had! I hear that May is suppose to be warmer than usual so maybe we will skip right into summer.
omg_smile.gif

I've had it! I called a local florist yesterday and ordered for Monday the delivery of a $50 spring bouquet. I'm making the declaration. Spring begins here MONDAY!!!!

Right now I'm sitting in a so far lovely inn with a faux fireplace and enjoying not being home.
Went to a fabulous seafood extravaganza and met so many wonderful people that we are planning next year to go for the entire weekend.

I have guests due in from MA Saturday. At this point in time, I hope they cancel. ALL Interstates in the State have been closed at one time or another today. Our roads are not the straight, wide roads of the Midwest and a lot of the guardrails have already done duty so not sure how they will hold the next encounter. It is still snowing - I shoveled my front step about 11 AM so the mail lady could find the steps and not fall. By 2 PM you could hardly tell I shoveled the path. (She came about 12:30 and could barely tell then.)
One weather service says we will be -1 tonight and another says -7 - big whoop.

Yes, to your first question - most of the time I would block out the rooms in the main house. My reasoning is that it gave us a bit more breathing room if anyone was looking for a room at the last minute. Sometimes it was just nice not to have people in the same house! This time of year we would just be picking up bookings from the December-February dead season. But sometimes I would block out the rooms in the second house so that I could just deal with the main house and keep the heat or A/C lower in the second building.

Latest posts

Back