Accounting Software

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Welcome Anne and congrats on your new life as an innkeeper. I look forward to seeing more photos of your area shared with the world.
Glad you got on board with rezkey, you will be able to do quite a bit with it, and online reservations are more important than accounting software in my not very humble opinion.
thumbs_up.gif
You will need to run monthly reports to pay taxes and rezkey has those features built in.
Quicken is the go-to pgrm. But some of us are really bad and other than budgeting wait until - now - in the off season - at tax time - to put everything together for Uncle Sam and the accountant. Some of us, stuff them into folders and do it all in a week - this week specifically when I can spread it all out and work on it. Don't be like thos people, we they are really bad examples.
shades_smile.gif
I use the checkbook system. If it does not go through my checkbook, it does not count because I know I will lose the receipt.
Every year I enter the 2 checkbooks - I do not use any computer stuff to write checks - to get everything into the correct category. Then I print it and give it to my tax person. I write the total revenue amount on the top and any other income not entered - I just enter outgo - such as election pay, etc and hand everything over. I get back forms to sign and mail. I send them return receipt requested to ensure proof it was received. Worth the extra cost to me. Now I need to take a day - and VERY SOON - to do it. I used to use Money but OFFICE discontinued it. Had to buy Quicken (cheapest) twice because the first one was a download and I could not find the numbers to load it again after a crash. This time it came with a disc. YEA.

I use quickbooks. I like it very much.
WHATEVER software you use, the important thing is to get all those receipts and purchases and payments into your books once you've set up the proper accounts.
This is a really good lesson for innspirings -- doing the bookkeeping is very important and takes time. It's something that someone has to do - even if it's not the innkeeper, someone has to save the receipts and indicate what they went towards.
If you're a 'put the receipts in a file til later' person, then do yourself a favor and jot down on the receipt what it was for. Takes just a minute and will save you headaches later.
I help do the books for a couple small businesses on an informal basis ... and I give them big manila envelopes to put their receipts in - to one guy I say 'before you stash that receipt in your wallet, or that atm slip for the $100 you're going to use to buy lunch to meet with new clients, jot down on the slip what it's for.' gas money. cab fare. last minute copies of blueprints. office supplies. makes both our lives easier. at the end of the day or by the end of the week, he loads up the manila envelope and seals it. then he starts with the next envelope. I take the envelope and sit with a pile of slips and sort it out.
your expenses at a b&b will be different, of course. but it's really helpful to see where you're money is going. running to the hardware store for some random plumbing repair item - ending up at home depot you might buy tp and cleaning supplies on sale, a garden trimmer, plus the part for the plumbing repair and note what exactly that repair is. room 1, toiilet for example.
I had different categories for gardening, property management and guest supplies. the more detailed your books, the more you will discover. for example - we were continually fixing the same toilet and saw that over a year's time it would have made more sense (not just in time but in guest aggravation and expense) to purchase a new toilet. so ....

WHATEVER software you use, the important thing is to get all those receipts and purchases and payments into your books once you've set up the proper accounts.
This is a really good lesson for innspirings -- doing the bookkeeping is very important and takes time. It's something that someone has to do - even if it's not the innkeeper, someone has to save the receipts and indicate what they went towards.
If you're a 'put the receipts in a file til later' person, then do yourself a favor and jot down on the receipt what it was for. Takes just a minute and will save you headaches later.
I help do the books for a couple small businesses on an informal basis ... and I give them big manila envelopes to put their receipts in - to one guy I say 'before you stash that receipt in your wallet, or that atm slip for the $100 you're going to use to buy lunch to meet with new clients, jot down on the slip what it's for.' gas money. cab fare. last minute copies of blueprints. office supplies. makes both our lives easier. at the end of the day or by the end of the week, he loads up the manila envelope and seals it. then he starts with the next envelope. I take the envelope and sit with a pile of slips and sort it out.
your expenses at a b&b will be different, of course. but it's really helpful to see where you're money is going. running to the hardware store for some random plumbing repair item - ending up at home depot you might buy tp and cleaning supplies on sale, a garden trimmer, plus the part for the plumbing repair and note what exactly that repair is. room 1, toiilet for example.
I had different categories for gardening, property management and guest supplies. the more detailed your books, the more you will discover. for example - we were continually fixing the same toilet and saw that over a year's time it would have made more sense (not just in time but in guest aggravation and expense) to purchase a new toilet. so .....
There are several very small shops i deal with whose register receipt is an adding machine tape. No date, no company, just the amount. I have to write on all of those.
By now Gomez knows I'm only buying candy for guests so I just need to put the date and store name.
But, he can also hit the intercom and ask me. You can't do that with your people.
It's especially important if the bookkeeper is not in house or someone else is doing the purchasing, not the bookkeeper or innkeeper.
I know we miss something here and there or I buy something for the inn with my money. We don't even come close to claiming all the mileage. Gomez has been short counting that for 10 years.

Day job, now retired, I used Peachtree, at the time parent organization favored it over Quickbooks.
For our mom and pop motel I have used Quicken and/or Microsoft Money (now outdated/discontinued). Generally I'm not sending bills, money is collected when the guest arrives and I mostly need a computerized check register like Quicken rather than a full double entry bookkeeping system.

I had different categories for gardening, property management and guest supplies. the more detailed your books, the more you will discover. for example - we were continually fixing the same toilet and saw that over a year's time it would have made more sense (not just in time but in guest aggravation and expense) to purchase a new toilet. so .....
There are several very small shops i deal with whose register receipt is an adding machine tape. No date, no company, just the amount. I have to write on all of those.
By now Gomez knows I'm only buying candy for guests so I just need to put the date and store name.
But, he can also hit the intercom and ask me. You can't do that with your people.
It's especially important if the bookkeeper is not in house or someone else is doing the purchasing, not the bookkeeper or innkeeper.
I know we miss something here and there or I buy something for the inn with my money. We don't even come close to claiming all the mileage. Gomez has been short counting that for 10 years.
Mileage.
I just started using the everlance app. Love it.Tracks automatically.

Mileage.
If you all will pay closer attention to the original post date, you will know a spammer hit the thread and that is why it has come to the top again. No need to respond..but if you do..that is fine too.

Mileage.
If you all will pay closer attention to the original post date, you will know a spammer hit the thread and that is why it has come to the top again. No need to respond..but if you do..that is fine too.
I've got to start looking at those post dates!

Last year I started using the Everlance app for mileage. Mileage is tracked automatically. You just have to attribute the trips to the proper category (that you set up)
Ack. Replied to a dead thread. Again. Waiting on check-ins. <blush>

Last year I started using the Everlance app for mileage. Mileage is tracked automatically. You just have to attribute the trips to the proper category (that you set up)
Ack. Replied to a dead thread. Again. Waiting on check-ins. <blush>
We'll forgive you! At least this time...
shades_smile.gif

Back