Admit your weaknesses

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
Admit your weaknesses
Some leaders don't want to do this thinking they will be seen as weak or flawed by exposing what they aren't good at. But your people already know.
By admitting your weaknesses, people won't be learning your weaknesses. What they will be learning is that their leader is not delusional, and that he/she is authentic, open and honest. This is more important that trying to hide what everyone knows already.
From think daily.com

also from thinkdaily., and let me ask you
"What is something new you have learned lately? For you, not the business?"
When capacity meets opportunity
You have a huge capacity to learn, be and do. There is unlimited opportunity out there.
What more can you ask for?

Lengthy wordy comments from JB:
This is perfect timing as yesterday I was out with the plants and thinking, everything is supposed to be great at a B&B. The lawns manicured, the plants, the rooms, the food, the reservation process, the welcome, the sheets, the atmosphere, the amenities, the parking, the restaurants, the restaurant lists, the wifi, the marketing, the cleanliness, the towels, the website, the stuff to do pages, the beds, the check out process, the lack of dust, the light, the room darkening shades, etc etc.
I thought about how many of us can easily go over the edge as we are expected to be perfect in all areas 100% of the time. Another thread that I didn't want to bring up the "Semiannual innkeeper meltdown" as we used to call it, wherein you have strangers in your home, day in and day out, each one expecting to be treated as VIP's and special and the only guests. Some of you without a day off for weeks, and others for months.
We live under a microscope and have to still smile and tell everyone how wonderful this business is, how wonderful the guests are as we clean up vomit, urine and other. As we do laundry day in and day out - hours and hours every day without a break, turning our own underwear inside out.
Do the guests notice everything? No. But there are enough of them to each notice something, so we over achievers keep pressing on at all costs.
I am sharing all of this to say, please take days off, please take care of yourselves first. The most important things in your lives may be right there beside you. Stuff the Trip Advisor snide comments. They will come, we can guarantee if you are busting your back and sacrificing family, couple and alone time for the business, you will resent it and the guests and it will show.
Take care of you.
I don't claim to have a green thumb, I don't even like gardening, nor do I sew. I love photography, I love writing, I love hiking, I love kayaking, I love inspiration, I love interesting people. Run your business, don't let your business run you.

This is perfect timing as yesterday I was out with the plants and thinking, everything is supposed to be great at a B&B. The lawns manicured, the plants, the rooms, the food, the reservation process, the welcome, the sheets, the atmosphere, the amenities, the parking, the restaurants, the restaurant lists, the wifi, the marketing, the cleanliness, the towels, the website, the stuff to do pages, the beds, the check out process, the lack of dust, the light, the room darkening shades, etc etc.
I thought about how many of us can easily go over the edge as we are expected to be perfect in all areas 100% of the time. Another thread that I didn't want to bring up the "Semiannual innkeeper meltdown" as we used to call it, wherein you have strangers in your home, day in and day out, each one expecting to be treated as VIP's and special and the only guests. Some of you without a day off for weeks, and others for months.
We live under a microscope and have to still smile and tell everyone how wonderful this business is, how wonderful the guests are as we clean up vomit, urine and other. As we do laundry day in and day out - hours and hours every day without a break, turning our own underwear inside out.
Do the guests notice everything? No. But there are enough of them to each notice something, so we over achievers keep pressing on at all costs.
I am sharing all of this to say, please take days off, please take care of yourselves first. The most important things in your lives may be right there beside you. Stuff the Trip Advisor snide comments. They will come, we can guarantee if you are busting your back and sacrificing family, couple and alone time for the business, you will resent it and the guests and it will show.
Take care of you.
I don't claim to have a green thumb, I don't even like gardening, nor do I sew. I love photography, I love writing, I love hiking, I love kayaking, I love inspiration, I love interesting people. Run your business, don't let your business run you..
Amen, sistah!
We took this to heart a few years ago with my annual innkeeper meltdown. Now we are taking 3-4 days off in peak season to regroup. Last weekend I went to NY to hang out with dad. In a couple of weeks we're going back to visit and see my son in the same trip. The money is never worth knowing we are missing these small moments. You know, the ones that actually add up to a life a well lived.
We got caught up in the 'never close, always be available' merry-go-round. We've stepped off the carousel. It's ok to let someone else make a few bucks more.

See my biggest problem lately is we have been trying to get on with a project and been frustrated by bureaucracy and similar crap - now we are in its a lot better feel I am achieving something and can see things coming together and happening and feel DH and I are contributing to that filling in the details and so on. I am at my best when in the thick of it and doing - nothing is worce than having your hands tied behind your back by the council, lawyers and banks and there is nothing you can do!

Take care of you.
I don't claim to have a green thumb, I don't even like gardening, nor do I sew. I love photography, I love writing, I love hiking, I love kayaking, I love inspiration, I love interesting people. Run your business, don't let your business run you..
Amen, sistah!
We took this to heart a few years ago with my annual innkeeper meltdown. Now we are taking 3-4 days off in peak season to regroup. Last weekend I went to NY to hang out with dad. In a couple of weeks we're going back to visit and see my son in the same trip. The money is never worth knowing we are missing these small moments. You know, the ones that actually add up to a life a well lived.
We got caught up in the 'never close, always be available' merry-go-round. We've stepped off the carousel. It's ok to let someone else make a few bucks more.
Morticia said:
Amen, sistah!
What a perfect analogy, and always trying to grab that brass ring.

Take care of you.
Amen, sistah!
Morticia said:
Amen, sistah!
thumbs_up.gif
We got a carousel down the street if you want a twirl….

Back