AGE LIMIT ON GUESTS?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm sure if the shoe was on the other foot I would be saying the same thing! What if someone calls to book a room who sounds young, do you ask their age? People always say I sound like my 18 yr old daughter on the phone. Also, what if someone books a room online and when they are checking in you find out they are 19 or 20, what then?
This thread is making me think, my 18 yr old and her friend want to go to Disney World in April or possibly take a cruise....they might not be able to without an adult....(guess that could be a way for me to get in a vacation
devil_smile.gif
!).

I'm sure if the shoe was on the other foot I would be saying the same thing! What if someone calls to book a room who sounds young, do you ask their age? People always say I sound like my 18 yr old daughter on the phone. Also, what if someone books a room online and when they are checking in you find out they are 19 or 20, what then?
This thread is making me think, my 18 yr old and her friend want to go to Disney World in April or possibly take a cruise....they might not be able to without an adult....(guess that could be a way for me to get in a vacation
devil_smile.gif
!)..
GA Girl, I do not post age req and do not check ID but I can give you several reasons for not taking 18 year olds.
Most 18 year olds are just out of high school - military? yes because boot camp shapes them up - and most do not have a job so just who is going to be paying this bill? I am not sure if under 21 can be held responsible for debts (I could be wrong but I do not want to be the one to find out I am correct). If using Daddy's card, Daddy can say I did not authorize this - too bad. They could be experiencing the first "freedom" and I do not want it at my place. I remember what my kids did to their rooms at 18 - this is not their place and they do not care. And if he is 18, I still have no way to know if SHE is or vice versa. Most hotels have a 21 policy - and for a reason and since they have a lot more resources than I do, I will go with their policy.
Life has its bumps and for many hitting 18 is the first time in their over-protected lives that they find a bump.

devil_smile.gif
!)..
GA Girl, I do not post age req and do not check ID but I can give you several reasons for not taking 18 year olds.
Most 18 year olds are just out of high school - military? yes because boot camp shapes them up - and most do not have a job so just who is going to be paying this bill? I am not sure if under 21 can be held responsible for debts (I could be wrong but I do not want to be the one to find out I am correct). If using Daddy's card, Daddy can say I did not authorize this - too bad. They could be experiencing the first "freedom" and I do not want it at my place. I remember what my kids did to their rooms at 18 - this is not their place and they do not care. And if he is 18, I still have no way to know if SHE is or vice versa. Most hotels have a 21 policy - and for a reason and since they have a lot more resources than I do, I will go with their policy.
Life has its bumps and for many hitting 18 is the first time in their over-protected lives that they find a bump.
A lot of it depends on the particular kid- just going by my experience watching hubs' daughter and mine. One kid absolutely could not go anywhere without the subsequent call home for help (missed flight, flat tire, no hotel rooms anywhere, lost). The other kid went all over France on her own, buying her own train pass, fending off unwanted attention, sleeping on friend's floors so she could hang out in Paris, changing her own tires and going to the junkyard to get parts for her car.
They each had hit some pretty bad bumps in life up to age 18, it was all in how they perceived their ability to handle things. Or, in the case of the one who never called home for help, the unwillingness of the parent to do all the work.
wink_smile.gif

And, even that girl who got sick here. She washed the sheets in the tub. 'Adults' don't even do that.

devil_smile.gif
!)..
A lot of it depends on the particular kid- just going by my experience watching hubs' daughter and mine. One kid absolutely could not go anywhere without the subsequent call home for help (missed flight, flat tire, no hotel rooms anywhere, lost). The other kid went all over France on her own, buying her own train pass, fending off unwanted attention, sleeping on friend's floors so she could hang out in Paris, changing her own tires and going to the junkyard to get parts for her car.
They each had hit some pretty bad bumps in life up to age 18, it was all in how they perceived their ability to handle things. Or, in the case of the one who never called home for help, the unwillingness of the parent to do all the work.
wink_smile.gif

And, even that girl who got sick here. She washed the sheets in the tub. 'Adults' don't even do that.
I agree. Of our 6 there was only one that we could have (and did) trust to make the mortgage payment on time and take care of the house until it sold at age 21. NONE of the others could have done it reliably - even DH said that at the time and the others were the ones HE brought to this partnership. We had twins that were totally different - one a whus and one a jock (both girls). And much of the immaturity (and I AM generalizing here) is due to the parents not expecting more of their kids or giving them the luxury of having responsibility because they do not realize that is the biggest luxury they can (in my opinion) give their kids.

I can understand your reasoning about this so don't get me wrong, but on the other hand, when you are 18 you are allowed to join the Military and die for our country but you can't stay at a B&B?? Not all people under 21 are up to no good and will cause trouble, I have 2 daughters that are proof of that (oldest just turned 21 in Oct.). And just because you are over 21 doesn't mean that you are responsible....
When my daughters became of age where they would be out at places by themselves I put a credit card in their names to avoid situations where the merchant wouldn't take the card since it was in someone else's name but when I worked retail we were told that American Express was the only CC that said we couldn't accept it unless the customer was presenting it themselves, don't know if that's true or even if it used to be true but that was the guide we used..
Georgia Girl,
It is illegal in this state for me to serve alcohol to anyone under the age of 21. Period.
I don't agree with that, but until you get the state of Virginia to change it, I do not book my rooms with bottles of sparkling wine to anyone under the age of 21.
I will not risk my business for someone's right to book my B&B whether or not they have served in the military.
I do give discounts to anyone coming back from or going to the war zones.
I do not break the law.
RIki

I started staying at Bed and Breakfasts when I was 19.
embaressed_smile.gif
With my to be husband and his family for Christmas. I think if someone has a credit card, in their name, they could stay anywhere they want to by booking online. Might be a good reminder to verify CC name matches ID, just for the parents that let their kids borrow their CC's. The one horrible experiance I had at a B & B she made sure she checked both mine and my husband's IDs.
whatchutalkingabout_smile.gif
I've asked the local hotels what they do, figuring they would get more of this than I would. They will not take anyone under age 21 without a parent present for the stay, not just for the payment. They also check id if they think the person is under 21.
The problem I see is that parents will come after me if their kid gets in trouble. Even if the parent didn't care enough to know where their kid was, I should have been more vigilant!
I have taken couples who were under 21. One was very nice on the phone, explained the whole big story to me. They had their own credit card. She threw up all over the room, staining the carpet so badly I had to move the furniture around to hide it. I will say that she did wash the sheets in the bathtub, tho, so she got 'points' for that.
Now anyone could have gotten sick, not just because they're under 21, but it certainly made me think twice if anyone called and started in on the 'Will you take us, no one else will...' saga.
And we do get Navy personnel here who may or may not be 21, as well as college students.
Bree said:
They also check id if they think the person is under 21.
The problem I see is that parents will come after me if their kid gets in trouble. Even if the parent didn't care enough to know where their kid was, I should have been more vigilant!
Legally speaking if the person is 18 years of age or older the parents cannot come after you because the parents have no rights with regard to their child. Some states do have laws against age discrimination where hoteliers can get in trouble for refusing accommodations. I think Wisconsin is one of them, but don't quote me on it.

I started staying at Bed and Breakfasts when I was 19.
embaressed_smile.gif
With my to be husband and his family for Christmas. I think if someone has a credit card, in their name, they could stay anywhere they want to by booking online. Might be a good reminder to verify CC name matches ID, just for the parents that let their kids borrow their CC's. The one horrible experiance I had at a B & B she made sure she checked both mine and my husband's IDs.
I've asked the local hotels what they do, figuring they would get more of this than I would. They will not take anyone under age 21 without a parent present for the stay, not just for the payment. They also check id if they think the person is under 21.
I have taken couples who were under 21. One was very nice on the phone, explained the whole big story to me. They had their own credit card. She threw up all over the room, staining the carpet so badly I had to move the furniture around to hide it. I will say that she did wash the sheets in the bathtub, tho, so she got 'points' for that.
Now anyone could have gotten sick, not just because they're under 21, but it certainly made me think twice if anyone called and started in on the 'Will you take us, no one else will...' saga.
And we do get Navy personnel here who may or may not be 21, as well as college students.
Bree said:
Legally speaking if the person is 18 years of age or older the parents cannot come after you because the parents have no rights with regard to their child. Some states do have laws against age discrimination where hoteliers can get in trouble for refusing accommodations. I think Wisconsin is one of them, but don't quote me on it.
Mr.Design said:
Bree said:
Anyone can sue anyone for anything. The effort it would take to just get that sort of negligence lawsuit against me thrown out isn't worth the time, money and effort it would take. It's still my home and I still have a say about who is welcome into it. I can get into trouble denying accommodations to children who are with their parents, however, if the parents showed up on their own I could tell them to take a hike if I thought they presented a problem.

If I remember right a person has to be 21 to enter into a contract. That is why hotels and cruise ship say that at least 1 person in the room has to be 21.

I believe the age of majority is 18 in most states. My daughter got a cell phone in her name at age 19 (meaning NO help from either of us).

If I remember right a person has to be 21 to enter into a contract. That is why hotels and cruise ship say that at least 1 person in the room has to be 21..
MTLLodge said:
If I remember right a person has to be 21 to enter into a contract. That is why hotels and cruise ship say that at least 1 person in the room has to be 21.
I had one daughter who filled out every application for every credit card that came her way once she was 18. She was an unemployed college student. The cc company just assumed we would pay when she defaulted on her $10,000 (combined) credit limit. So, no, you don't need to be 21 to sign a contract, except to rent a car. If the car companies can do that, so can I.
(And no, we didn't pay off her cc debt. She ended up with the lowest credit score you can have and it took her 10 years to get to the point where she could buy a car on her own. That's life...)

Most states you can get married at 18, you also serve in the military, 21 is not the binding age.

Most states you can get married at 18, you also serve in the military, 21 is not the binding age..
In some States a girl can get married at 13. I have a friend who did and they are still married. They took her grandmother along to give consent.
Of course she told her daughter if she tried it she would break her legs.

I was curious what our minimum age was here in Georgia to get married and this is what I found out:
Anyone under the age of 16 cannot obtain a marriage license in Georgia.
BUT
[h3]Cousin Marriages:[/h3]Yes.
help.gif

Back