Agnes and parking

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Red Handed Jill

Reaction score
I was perusing one of the links "Agnes" recommended on the blog, and it's something of a relief to know that our parking issue isn't "our" issue.
We have no lines either. Mainly, because for the number of rooms we have, we offer HUGE parking. Really - they can parallel park, park nose in, whatever, But it seems impossible for most guests to find the lot.
First off, it is a large paved space, jutting into our lawn, from the street. Okay, not clear enough. I suppose one might think it just...oh, I don't know what they would think it was.
Second, we have outlined it with path lights that stand up near about 18" from the ground.. They make a visual border during the day, and a colorful lit one at night. Not clear to many people.
Third, we broke down and now place an obnoxious orange cone in our driveway to prevent people from parking in our space, which is in the back of the house, 180 degrees from the entrance.
Enough? Apparently not. DH was outside (thank goodness) and observed guests arriving to check in drive on our lawn in order to go around the cone and park in back of the house. Fow what it's worth, other guests were checked in and parked appropriately in the lot. DH stopped their car, told them uh-uh, and made them move the vehicle where it belongs.

"Enough? Apparently not. DH was outside (thank goodness) and observed guests arriving to check in drive on our lawn in order to go around the cone and park in back of the house. Fow what it's worth, other guests were checked in and parked appropriately in the lot. DH stopped their car, told them uh-uh, and made them move the vehicle where it belongs."
Oh for goodness sake! People are strugglers.
whattha.gif

We have a BIG SIGN and parking stoppers in our parking lot and people can't figure it out. Out front the sign hanging off the main sign says "Parking in rear" on the confirmation and directions it says "Parking in rear, go around block and look for big B&B sign" they park next door, they park down the street, they cannot fathom how to park next to the inn with a parking lot and sign!
This scares me. This is when we say "No open flames" and other things and people scoff and we want to tell them "you have no idea, people cannot even find our parking area"
I will tell you who always finds the parking area and who always find everything...Motorcyclists. They are aware of their surroundings, they have directions, they know where they are going, they are alert guests. They never pull up and say "Gee how do we get to the back!?" Car people just feel safe and can off road on your lawn and not care about anyone else.

"Enough? Apparently not. DH was outside (thank goodness) and observed guests arriving to check in drive on our lawn in order to go around the cone and park in back of the house. Fow what it's worth, other guests were checked in and parked appropriately in the lot. DH stopped their car, told them uh-uh, and made them move the vehicle where it belongs."
whattha.gif

We have a BIG SIGN and parking stoppers in our parking lot and people can't figure it out. Out front the sign hanging off the main sign says "Parking in rear" on the confirmation and directions it says "Parking in rear, go around block and look for big B&B sign" they park next door, they park down the street, they cannot fathom how to park next to the inn with a parking lot and sign!
This scares me. This is when we say "No open flames" and other things and people scoff and we want to tell them "you have no idea, people cannot even find our parking area"
I will tell you who always finds the parking area and who always find everything...Motorcyclists. They are aware of their surroundings, they have directions, they know where they are going, they are alert guests. They never pull up and say "Gee how do we get to the back!?" Car people just feel safe and can off road on your lawn and not care about anyone else..
That is so odd Joey. We are not the most clever people in the world but when we found your inn and drove up to the front, we just drove around to the back since we saw the sign.
RIki

whattha.gif

I will tell you who always finds the parking area and who always find everything...Motorcyclists. They are aware of their surroundings, they have directions, they know where they are going, they are alert guests. They never pull up and say "Gee how do we get to the back!?" Car people just feel safe and can off road on your lawn and not care about anyone else..
I've had guests drive across the lawn to get to the parking lot. They just did not see the driveway in the dark with the snow. We knew exactly who it was as the tire marks lead right to the car!

Back