and that's a night?!

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do you offer a Government rate? Yes we sure do! Just add 50% to your stay.... "Oh thats great!"....."Wait.....what?".
The one that annoys me, and usually all they want is 1 night in peak season, is "Did you give discounts for travel agents?"
What? Why on earth would I loose money to give a discount to someone just because they work in the same industry as us. No travel agent has ever sent us a booking. Even the ones who say "Oooo yours is a lovely place, we'll be sure to recommend you to our clients" BS.

I got that but it went like this: "do you have any rooms available this weekend?"
me: "no, I'm sorry, we are booked completely full."
Him:"Oh wow, your prices must be really cheap!"
Me: grrrrrr under my breath.... thinking... NO, we are just that GOOD! (I probably should of said that)... But instead,
I said (with a smile in my voice): "No, our prices are about the same as everyone else here in town" Then I directed him to the cheapest place up by the interstate!.
Some years ago.....
me: Our rooms are £60 per night
him: What? We can get a room in Inverness for £25
me: Well go back to Inverness and stop waisting my time.
Highlands John said:
Some years ago.....
Great tshirt:
"Well go back to Iverness"

Do you offer a Government rate? Yes we sure do! Just add 50% to your stay.... "Oh thats great!"....."Wait.....what?".
The one that annoys me, and usually all they want is 1 night in peak season, is "Did you give discounts for travel agents?"
What? Why on earth would I loose money to give a discount to someone just because they work in the same industry as us. No travel agent has ever sent us a booking. Even the ones who say "Oooo yours is a lovely place, we'll be sure to recommend you to our clients" BS.
We had one last year who was coming here on vacation. Wanted a discount because she's a travel agent. She kept telling me, 'But I'm using my sister's credit card.' And I kept having to point out that SHE was going to be in the room!
She ended up begrudgingly coming here and spent the breakfast time drumming up business with all the other guests.

I got that but it went like this: "do you have any rooms available this weekend?"
Me: grrrrrr under my breath.... thinking... NO, we are just that GOOD! (I probably should of said that)... But instead,
I said (with a smile in my voice): "No, our prices are about the same as everyone else here in town" Then I directed him to the cheapest place up by the interstate!.
Some years ago.....
I get them sometimes haggling when they fricking check in! I know my prices are very reasonable so I am not budging unless they suddenly book 4 extra nights or something!

Some years ago.....
I get them sometimes haggling when they fricking check in! I know my prices are very reasonable so I am not budging unless they suddenly book 4 extra nights or something!
Had one today who chatted for about 25 minutes. I knew after her first salvo (I have a guide book from 1992) that she was not staying here. Helped her find a place that fit into her budget but no way was I discounting $100 in mid summer because she was going from here to spend 10 more days in another town. Sorry, if you can afford 10 more nights in another town, you don't need my help.
I looked up the going rate at the HGI and told it to her on the phone. Not only $75/night more than me but no breakfast. That's another $10/person. So, $115 more/night to stay in a hotel.
Sent her off to another B&B that is less and then a motel that is a lot less. She'll be a lot happier saving the money.
Oh, and the kicker? I suggested she stay in the town where she had scheduled one of their 'adventures'. Her response? 'It's very expensive to stay there!'
Hmmm.

Some years ago.....
That's out of order. If you don't want to pay the price don't book.

Some years ago.....
Had one today who chatted for about 25 minutes. I knew after her first salvo (I have a guide book from 1992) that she was not staying here. Helped her find a place that fit into her budget but no way was I discounting $100 in mid summer because she was going from here to spend 10 more days in another town. Sorry, if you can afford 10 more nights in another town, you don't need my help.
I looked up the going rate at the HGI and told it to her on the phone. Not only $75/night more than me but no breakfast. That's another $10/person. So, $115 more/night to stay in a hotel.
Sent her off to another B&B that is less and then a motel that is a lot less. She'll be a lot happier saving the money.
Oh, and the kicker? I suggested she stay in the town where she had scheduled one of their 'adventures'. Her response? 'It's very expensive to stay there!'
Hmmm.
we had this woman who conned me - had booked say in 2010 for a double room for single occupancy with my mother while I was out - mum cocked up and we didn't have 2 nights in the same room so she had to move half way through her stay ie was in for 4 nights total as has a life time ticket for this particular event so comes every year.
2012 she turns up at the door in March to book for the July - pours out this tale of woe of how she was an old lady and had to move etc (we had been out at the show ourselves and mum managed to pull it of without us finding out) - took her booking for 2011 for a single with private bathroom - she was a nightmare - came down with 5 mins to go on breakfast and sat forever! whinged about how she was going to fall down the stairs all the time and so on - however let slip she had a second home in scarborough etc - wasn't a starving pensioner at all!!!! id been conned!
she is now on my do not book list! what makes me laugh is mum and dad saw her on the shuttle bus on the way to the show last year! they had hysterics!

I get that one. When they ask why I charge more, I say that the government already gets a discount, it's called MY TAXES.
Oh and if you insist that they bring paperwork showing that they are on official government business, they back away as well, they are trying to use it personally, which is a violation of work ethics (or as we call it around here... corruption!)
I got one that tried to pay with a PO. I said that I don't take POs, I want to be paid immediately for services immediately rendered. If they want to process the PO today for a stay for 180 days in advance, that's fine, but I must be paid prior to stay.

Some years ago.....
The confirmation is a guaranteed rate. Bickering at the door? Does that mean that I could have sold their room to the highest bidder? It's a contract, the answer is "NO". I spell it in two letters, N and O.

We dont own the B & B we are in we get it here too and we are in a High End place were most of our guests have money dripping out their ears-but they want a "discount" because-oh I was born there...Oh but you arent right on campus...Oh you dont have a shuttle? "Really? I thought you would give me a discount cause I own a B&B" THAT ONE PISSED ME OFF-really? just cause you own one you want a discount? NO-would you do the same just cause someone is a "dentist" and you are a "dentist" you should renceive a discount on your cavity filling?
The owner sometimes almost gives rooms away.

Back