Another website question

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Penelope

Reaction score
This question is more for Catlady or Swirt than anyone else. I heard about Plone and am wondering if anyone can give a few pointers. Thanks in advance

Plone is an opensource content management system. It uses python as the server scripting language. Python is not something that all hosting packages offer. Some do, some don't
What is it that you think you might want to use Plone for? It is probably overkill for the average B&B website.

Plone is an opensource content management system. It uses python as the server scripting language. Python is not something that all hosting packages offer. Some do, some don't
What is it that you think you might want to use Plone for? It is probably overkill for the average B&B website..
THe University I taught at, now uses Plone for all the sites in the ag college. It was a way so that everyone's pages were the same. FOlks just had to add their content. Assures the same look throughout the system. With little knowledge required other than to add content.
I would see no reason why one person would want to go that route. Why would you want to take all the time to learn how to install, set up and use????
I too think it would not be the choice I would use. Other options for you. Sure seems like more than I would want to learn just to do a web site for a B & B :-(
Have you tried using Kompozer??? Free to download. And from what I see very easy to use to create web site.

I know someone who is designing a website (non B&B) and will have a 30 day rotation of ads on the first page. After 30 days, the ad will expire and the next one in the cache will pop in, hopefully. If Plone wouldn't be the way to go for that, what would? Just one thought was Plone. Not sure what the other is. Just thought I'd send it out to my techie-"Wise Ones" to get a layman's overview.

I know someone who is designing a website (non B&B) and will have a 30 day rotation of ads on the first page. After 30 days, the ad will expire and the next one in the cache will pop in, hopefully. If Plone wouldn't be the way to go for that, what would? Just one thought was Plone. Not sure what the other is. Just thought I'd send it out to my techie-"Wise Ones" to get a layman's overview..
penelope said:
I know someone who is designing a website (non B&B) and will have a 30 day rotation of ads on the first page. After 30 days, the ad will expire and the next one in the cache will pop in, hopefully. If Plone wouldn't be the way to go for that, what would? Just one thought was Plone. Not sure what the other is. Just thought I'd send it out to my techie-"Wise Ones" to get a layman's overview.
If that is the main feature of the site is a rotating add page, then no that would be better built with a little custom coding.
Full-scale Content Management Systems like Plone, Drupal, Joomla etc are all about being used for generating, managing distrubiting lots of content (think 100s-1000s of "pages". (this site runs on Drupal) They handle multiple publishers with various permissions. That doesn't really sound like what you need for what you are describing (unless there are parts that haven't been described).
What you are describing for a monthly rotating ad could be done with someone just creating a little javascript that acts based on what month it is (easiest) or with a bit of php programming reading the ads from a database. Either of these would be far easier than learning the ins and outs of a large scale content management system. I haven't looked through all the available plugins/modules for plone but it is quite possible that a module does not exist to do what you want, in which case you'd have to program it yourself anyway.
Sorry there are too many undisclosed details for me to adequately advise you on what product to use (skill level of your friend, other requirements for the site, available server resources)

The ad rotation is only part of the request of the client. They also want to put together a classified ad section. Would that be something that drupal or one of the others would be better for?
In terms of skill level...not as high as yours ;)

The ad rotation is only part of the request of the client. They also want to put together a classified ad section. Would that be something that drupal or one of the others would be better for?
In terms of skill level...not as high as yours ;).
penelope said:
Classified like Craigs List sort of thing (anyone can author)? Or classified like someone contacts this web person and he/she puts the ad up for them? (again too many missing details to give you good information)
Any of the content managment systems can be altered to specific requirements so the choice of which to use comes down to what familiarity and skills the designer has. If the designer can program in Python, then Plone is the way to go...if the designer can program in php then Drupal or Joomla may be a better choice...if the designer can program in both, then they really don't need you asking these questions for him/her ;) LOL
I've built several sites using Drupal so it would be my tool of choice, but that is only because I know most of the ins and outs with it. I know its quirks. If your designer friend has all these requirements from a client but can't build it, then they may be over their head .. but thats ok, its not a permanent condition...it just takes time and a lot of reading and building to overcome it. None of the products will fit the need by simply "opening the box" and "turning it on."
Another deciding factor would be who they have access to. I use Drupal largely because I had a friend who had some experience with it...so when I got stuck I could ask him for assistance.... if he had a friend who knew Joomla, it is very possible that it would be my tool of choice. Even with all that...it took me months to get profficient, and years to get good with it...and there are still times when it is over my head.

In terms of skill level...not as high as yours ;).
penelope said:
Classified like Craigs List sort of thing (anyone can author)? Or classified like someone contacts this web person and he/she puts the ad up for them? (again too many missing details to give you good information)
Any of the content managment systems can be altered to specific requirements so the choice of which to use comes down to what familiarity and skills the designer has. If the designer can program in Python, then Plone is the way to go...if the designer can program in php then Drupal or Joomla may be a better choice...if the designer can program in both, then they really don't need you asking these questions for him/her ;) LOL
I've built several sites using Drupal so it would be my tool of choice, but that is only because I know most of the ins and outs with it. I know its quirks. If your designer friend has all these requirements from a client but can't build it, then they may be over their head .. but thats ok, its not a permanent condition...it just takes time and a lot of reading and building to overcome it. None of the products will fit the need by simply "opening the box" and "turning it on."
Another deciding factor would be who they have access to. I use Drupal largely because I had a friend who had some experience with it...so when I got stuck I could ask him for assistance.... if he had a friend who knew Joomla, it is very possible that it would be my tool of choice. Even with all that...it took me months to get profficient, and years to get good with it...and there are still times when it is over my head.
swirt said:
they may be over their head .. but thats ok, its not a permanent condition...
That's good to know. I think what the client has decided to do, for right now, is to just have a submit form for an ad and an administrator will upload the info. If the site (it's a local site) gets bigger and demand gets greater, then they are going to go with a more sophisticated format. Right now, it's just "get it up and functioning" and then tweak it as necessary.

What is it that you think you might want to use Plone for? It is probably overkill for the average B&B website..
THe University I taught at, now uses Plone for all the sites in the ag college. It was a way so that everyone's pages were the same. FOlks just had to add their content. Assures the same look throughout the system. With little knowledge required other than to add content.
I would see no reason why one person would want to go that route. Why would you want to take all the time to learn how to install, set up and use????
I too think it would not be the choice I would use. Other options for you. Sure seems like more than I would want to learn just to do a web site for a B & B :-(
Have you tried using Kompozer??? Free to download. And from what I see very easy to use to create web site.
WOW! Thanks! I get stuck now and then from the original format you created. My webserver doesn't support Front Page, or won't shortly.
BTW, what does "nopid" mean? I see it sometimes when I look at my hits on extremetracking.

Back