Another website that lifts your information

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am NOT standing on a soap box here but I have NEVER had a guest show up with a bogus reservation.
When you researched these reservations where did they originate from? what did the printed conf say and what happened when you called the source? I am not interrogating here, I am trying to help.
The only time when I worked hotels when I had people show up with unexplained resas that I did not have was at sold out city wide conventions where they thought that if they pretended they had a res and yelled and screamed enough that they would get a room ...
SHARKS .. I am not saying this is what happened to you!! (why do I always have to say this in these forums?) I am just trying to figure out why it is happening FOR YOU

maybe we should just say a quiet thank you for the free exposure ? LOL.
agoodman said:
maybe we should just say a quiet thank you for the free exposure ? LOL
I don't understand. Besides three ocassions having people show up at my door who have paid for rooms demanding they have a reservation, through the BOGUS websites with no real booking, what free exposure? They are showing NO availability, how is that helping me?
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
agoodman said:
maybe we should just say a quiet thank you for the free exposure ? LOL
I don't understand. Besides three ocassions having people show up at my door who have paid for rooms demanding they have a reservation, through the BOGUS websites with no real booking, what free exposure? They are showing NO availability, how is that helping me?
I don't think it's good free exposure either. If I was a newbie looking for a b&b, didn't know much or anything about Trip Advisor, etc., I would google the city I was going to. The link's that I click on might or might not be the Inn's webpage. Let's say for example I got your Inn, agoodman but the page I clicked on said there was no availability for my dates (but you really DID have rooms), but here's a list of all the hotels/motels that DO have availability, I would probably explore those places...if I found one that suited me I would probably just book one of them which means that you didn't gain anything from being listed. At least that's my take on it
That's my take on it, too. It seems like a no-win situation for the innkeepers. That to me doesn't seem like free exposure, it seems like it is fraudulent and dishonest at the expense of the innkeeper/owner.

all.... my comment about free exposure was said TONGUE IN CHEEK. Sigh

I went to one and put in dates but it came back as no room available but it gave me a list of 3 hotels that had openings...
GeorgiaGirl25 said:
I went to one and put in dates but it came back as no room available but it gave me a list of 3 hotels that had openings..
This is what will happen. They show MY place listed, then it show no availaibility. JERKS!
Is there ANYTHING that you can do about this?
penelope said:
We frequently got calls for a place waaaaaaay north of here. I asked where the guests were getting the phone number? They told me. I found the website, with outdated info in re prices, the wrong phone numbers (on as many listings as I cared to check, ALL wrong phone numbers), etc.
Thinking it would be helpful if I let the site's owners know they had 'some' wrong phone numbers, I emailed them, using my inn email addy and explained that another inn had my phone number and I had some completely different inn's phone number on my 'listing'. Within a week I had a bill in the mail for $90 for 'changes to your info'. DUE ON RECEIPT. Which went on to say that if I did not pay, they would pursue it thru a debt collector.
Hmmm. First bill and they are already threatening debt collection? I ignored it. And the subsequent 6 bills I have received for the past 3 years. And my phone number is still wrong. Maybe the other place paid because I no longer get calls for them.
But that's how they operate...you'll eventually find them, contact them because the nfo is wrong and they'll bill you at that time.

I had a request for a reservation through this one last week. Since it went through them by the time the guest gets it, they have booked elsewhere. I think I signed on many years ago as free (before photos so they had to take it from my site) and they bombard me to make it a paid listing - DELETE. And to show I did not have anything to do with it in years - the rates are nowhere near what my current rates are!
Sites like these, I do not consider a help. It makes it appear that I deal with sites like these that are less than CLASS and they give information that is incorrect - making me appear sloppy or uncaring refarding the information about my inn. It SAYS your rates are....... Often these sites list inns that have been closed for years which also frustrates the user - not good.

I went to one and put in dates but it came back as no room available but it gave me a list of 3 hotels that had openings...
GeorgiaGirl25 said:
I went to one and put in dates but it came back as no room available but it gave me a list of 3 hotels that had openings..
This is what will happen. They show MY place listed, then it show no availaibility. JERKS!
penelope said:
We frequently got calls for a place waaaaaaay north of here. I asked where the guests were getting the phone number? They told me. I found the website, with outdated info in re prices, the wrong phone numbers (on as many listings as I cared to check, ALL wrong phone numbers), etc.
Thinking it would be helpful if I let the site's owners know they had 'some' wrong phone numbers, I emailed them, using my inn email addy and explained that another inn had my phone number and I had some completely different inn's phone number on my 'listing'. Within a week I had a bill in the mail for $90 for 'changes to your info'. DUE ON RECEIPT. Which went on to say that if I did not pay, they would pursue it thru a debt collector.
Hmmm. First bill and they are already threatening debt collection? I ignored it. And the subsequent 6 bills I have received for the past 3 years. And my phone number is still wrong. Maybe the other place paid because I no longer get calls for them.
But that's how they operate...you'll eventually find them, contact them because the nfo is wrong and they'll bill you at that time.
You know, if I didn't REALLY want to be an innkeeper, some of these stories would make me run crying and screaming into my bedroom and pull the covers over my head. This is totally ridiculous

all.... my comment about free exposure was said TONGUE IN CHEEK. Sigh.
That's great - as has been mentioned before, sarcasm doesn't translate very well electronically. Maybe sharks is tongue-in-cheek, also? I'm hoping it is...

I had a request for a reservation through this one last week. Since it went through them by the time the guest gets it, they have booked elsewhere. I think I signed on many years ago as free (before photos so they had to take it from my site) and they bombard me to make it a paid listing - DELETE. And to show I did not have anything to do with it in years - the rates are nowhere near what my current rates are!
Sites like these, I do not consider a help. It makes it appear that I deal with sites like these that are less than CLASS and they give information that is incorrect - making me appear sloppy or uncaring refarding the information about my inn. It SAYS your rates are....... Often these sites list inns that have been closed for years which also frustrates the user - not good..
gillumhouse said:
Sites like these, I do not consider a help. It makes it appear that I deal with sites like these that are less than CLASS and they give information that is incorrect - making me appear sloppy or uncaring refarding the information about my inn. It SAYS your rates are....... Often these sites list inns that have been closed for years which also frustrates the user - not good.
There is one site out there that we get a fair amount of calls from. I know someone has found it because they ask for the OO. And then they ask for the $85 room. I've tried contacting the site owner but get no response. Because we DO get traffic from it, I could PAY them if they'd just respond! But, I'd bet the traffic would go away once I posted the new prices.

GeorgiaGirl25 said:
penelope said:
You know, if I didn't REALLY want to be an innkeeper, some of these stories would make me run crying and screaming into my bedroom and pull the covers over my head. This is totally ridiculous
THAT dear, is why we post these truths - we do not need to post stories. The truth is scary enough. We post these so you know what you are up against as well as what the rewards are.
I just spent a delightful day with a 92 year old lady who took me to lunch and I took her for a tour of the area. She almost did not take this opportunity to spend time with her remaining son (her youngest died of cancer) because of checkout time at a hotel - she had visions of sitting on the curb with her cane and suitcase until her son finished doing his training session this afternoon. An absolutely wonderful afternoon - for ME!! You cannot buy that.

GeorgiaGirl25 said:
penelope said:
THAT dear, is why we post these truths - we do not need to post stories. The truth is scary enough. We post these so you know what you are up against as well as what the rewards are.
I just spent a delightful day with a 92 year old lady who took me to lunch and I took her for a tour of the area. She almost did not take this opportunity to spend time with her remaining son (her youngest died of cancer) because of checkout time at a hotel - she had visions of sitting on the curb with her cane and suitcase until her son finished doing his training session this afternoon. An absolutely wonderful afternoon - for ME!! You cannot buy that.
gillumhouse said:
I appreciate each and every scary truth that comes up on this forum. I've seen a lot of the uglier side of innkeeping at my job. But I know in my gut that this is what I want to do. I am not a "glass half empty" kind of person. I would much rather have the days of touring around with the 92 year old than to have not attempted this at all.
What is the saying? "It is better to have love and lost than to never have loved at all."
It is better to try and fail than to never have tried at all.

GeorgiaGirl25 said:
penelope said:
gillumhouse said:
I appreciate each and every scary truth that comes up on this forum. I've seen a lot of the uglier side of innkeeping at my job. But I know in my gut that this is what I want to do. I am not a "glass half empty" kind of person. I would much rather have the days of touring around with the 92 year old than to have not attempted this at all.
What is the saying? "It is better to have love and lost than to never have loved at all."
It sounds as if the only thing to be said to you is this (and this is not said scarcasticly):
Go for it!!!

GeorgiaGirl25 said:
penelope said:
gillumhouse said:
It sounds as if the only thing to be said to you is this (and this is not said scarcasticly):
Go for it!!!
gillumhouse said:
Go for it!!!
Bless your heart. I needed to hear that. Thanks
cry_smile.gif

GeorgiaGirl25 said:
penelope said:
gillumhouse said:
penelope said:
gillumhouse said:
Come on over to the dark side.
teeth_smile.gif

GeorgiaGirl25 said:
penelope said:
gillumhouse said:
penelope said:
gillumhouse said:
teeth_smile.gif

JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
penelope said:
gillumhouse said:
teeth_smile.gif
I've been standing on the precipce of this dark side for many months.:)

I am NOT standing on a soap box here but I have NEVER had a guest show up with a bogus reservation.
When you researched these reservations where did they originate from? what did the printed conf say and what happened when you called the source? I am not interrogating here, I am trying to help.
The only time when I worked hotels when I had people show up with unexplained resas that I did not have was at sold out city wide conventions where they thought that if they pretended they had a res and yelled and screamed enough that they would get a room ...
SHARKS .. I am not saying this is what happened to you!! (why do I always have to say this in these forums?) I am just trying to figure out why it is happening FOR YOU.
"Sharks"? What does that mean? Whoa...... Doesn't sound like Southern friendliness there to me. Bless your heart.....

SHARKS .. I am not saying this is what happened to you!! (why do I always have to say this in these forums?) I am just trying to figure out why it is happening FOR YOU.
"Sharks"? What does that mean? Whoa...... Doesn't sound like Southern friendliness there to me. Bless your heart.....
Samster said:
I love that Southern talk!

GeorgiaGirl25 said:
penelope said:
gillumhouse said:
penelope said:
gillumhouse said:
teeth_smile.gif

JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
penelope said:
gillumhouse said:
teeth_smile.gif
penelope said:
poke.gif

(That's me pushing you over the edge...)

Back