Any else do this when ask for discounts?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you are getting this "more and more", can you afford it? Using my inn as an example, if every guest wanted no breakfast, and I gave them a $20 per night discount, I would be discounting $160 per weekend. If I use my summer bookings as an example, and include weekdays, I'm discounting about $400 per week or $1600 per month. That's extreme, as we know not every guest would want the discount, but you get my point.

It doesn't cost me $20 to feed them, and breakfast is half the experience for them That's my chance to "wow" them with food, chatter, relaxation, etc. That gets half my reviews and creates a memory for them to cherish and use to want to return.

I get asked about discounts frequently and I tell them, my rates are as low as possible already. Breakfast is complimentary, part of the experience. I look at it this way, they can get a bed anywhere (unless it is the bed from hell it will not be remembered) BUT they WILL remember the food. They will remember that awesome breakfast (or bad one). I had an e-mail last week from a man who had been here with his wife a couple weeks earlier. They had bee talking about the baked oatmeal I had served them - and wanted to know if I would give them the recipe. It is posted on my web site. It was nice to get that e-mail. When I have guests who do not want to take the time for breakfast (usually horse people trying to beat the heat), I make the breakfast and pack it up for them to eat later (wrapped in wax paper so it can be heated if desired although it is good cold).

This is a really old thread that has been brought back from the brink.
Breakfast is complimentary, please don't discount when they don't want to eat it. There is no cut rate for removing part of the B from the B&B experience. Like those guests who say "we don't want the room for the entire night" ug

If you are getting this "more and more", can you afford it? Using my inn as an example, if every guest wanted no breakfast, and I gave them a $20 per night discount, I would be discounting $160 per weekend. If I use my summer bookings as an example, and include weekdays, I'm discounting about $400 per week or $1600 per month. That's extreme, as we know not every guest would want the discount, but you get my point.

It doesn't cost me $20 to feed them, and breakfast is half the experience for them That's my chance to "wow" them with food, chatter, relaxation, etc. That gets half my reviews and creates a memory for them to cherish and use to want to return..
Believe it or not, there have been times that the conversation has triggered a return visit. Something said by DH or me triggered an interest. One of the first paintings sold he in WV, was a work in progress DH mentioned to a man traveling with horses. It was a Harley Board Tracker and he had me fetch it to show the man as part of their discussion. When he saw it, the man said, "When it is finished, it is mine!" When it was finished, I sent an e-mail, in case you are still interested, the painting is done. he replied, "That is MY painting." and we made arrangements for it to be delivered.
That chat time can be productive - the hard part is knowing when to chat and when to disappear.

If they want a discount thats fine. Just tell them you will take the bed out of their room! I agree with most on here. Don't take breakfast away. You just have to make the choice to discount it. If you have your rooms priced right you should be able to discount a little and still have money left over after the discounts. If not, than adjust your prices so you can.

totally agreeing here - it's a B and B
even when you want to be nice and work a discount in for someone, don't touch the breakfast part of it. you can offer last minute discounts, specials of all kinds ... but the 'complimentary' breakfast should be left as is. some people will try to play this game ... how much without the breakfast? it's not an option.
plus, i had folks tell me they wouldn't be eating because they had other plans or whatever and were first in to the dining room in the morning! policing your guests for this kind of scenario is not fun.

For most places here in the U.S., it's actually illegal to discount for no breakfast. You can only do that if you have a restaurant license. Legally, we are not charging for breakfast, it is complimentary.

For most places here in the U.S., it's actually illegal to discount for no breakfast. You can only do that if you have a restaurant license. Legally, we are not charging for breakfast, it is complimentary..
If you will look at the date of the original post...it is OLD OLD OLD.
I suspect it has resurfaced again from a spammer being deleted. But go ahead and respost if you feel a need :)

For most places here in the U.S., it's actually illegal to discount for no breakfast. You can only do that if you have a restaurant license. Legally, we are not charging for breakfast, it is complimentary..
I suspect it has resurfaced again from a spammer being deleted. But go ahead and respost if you feel a need :)
EmptyNest said:
It's that time of year. Everyone is asking for a discount. Even the spammers want in on the discount action!

Back