Anyone know how the rankings work on Kayak?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alibi Ike

Reaction score
Anyone know how Kayak goes about ranking the lodging properties that are listed in a particular town? I guess I'm curious what the 'popularity' option means. How many times someone looks at the listing? How often they opt to reserve thru Kayak? It has nothing to do with the ratings by guests. I'm feeling a little put out as I'm ranked dead last in my town, behind even places that have reviews like 'stay away!'.
Of course it's not as bad as Yahoo where I'm ranked behind places that aren't even in my town or that have closed. ;-)

Not sure if Yahoo will take them off but TA does so it might be worth an email.

That is a good question I don't have many answers for at the moment. However, it does warrant some active research since Bing is now opting to use Kayak as its travel related option. And with Yahoo search using Bing's results, it will be interesting to see how Kayak integrates into Yahoo as well.

Ranking in Kayak is by $ booking, if I remember correctly. I'm not even going to be able to place....there are hundreds of establishments, here. There are about a hundred B&Bs, alone.

Ranking in Kayak is by $ booking, if I remember correctly. I'm not even going to be able to place....there are hundreds of establishments, here. There are about a hundred B&Bs, alone..
So, I'm doomed to be dead last forever because a guest can't book here thru Kayak. Well, at least that explains it!

Not sure this will help in popularity listing but I did contact them regarding their Star ratings and received this reply:
Hello,
We use data from our hotel providers to determine our star ratings.
If you think the star ratings does not reflect correctly, you go submit an
update request at http://www.kayak.com/hotelowner .
If you don't already have a username and password (of if you don't remember
your prior account details) you can create a new login.
This may help you in the pecking order under the star listing for your area. I plan to try this myself.

Not sure this will help in popularity listing but I did contact them regarding their Star ratings and received this reply:
Hello,
We use data from our hotel providers to determine our star ratings.
If you think the star ratings does not reflect correctly, you go submit an
update request at http://www.kayak.com/hotelowner .
If you don't already have a username and password (of if you don't remember
your prior account details) you can create a new login.
This may help you in the pecking order under the star listing for your area. I plan to try this myself..
I think that refers to the number of stars you get based on what kind of property you are (motel-luxury and everywhere in between). The guest reviews I have are great. I beat out quite a lot of the hotels. But, if popularity is based on being able to make a rez, no can do.

I will send in another question asking just that but based on what I see in my area, if popularity is connected to being bookable, it is not the only factor. I am bookable, have more positive reviews and more stars than many listed above me. I think they like keeping us guessing.

Back