August ennui

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Madeleine

Reaction score
It's August. Worst month of the year for me personally. But this feeling has been going on all year now. I'm not interested in blogging, don't care about Facebook, lost interest in taking photos.
Blah. That's how I feel. Going thru the motions.
So, this isn't something cured by a massage or a walk or a glass of wine.
Retire? Not really ready.
What do you do to get the passion back? I can remember the excitement from when we started but it's just out of my grasp.

Sorry it's a hard time for you.
Maybe look through your old guest books or blogs. Read about how much fun it was and how appreciated all your efforts have been.
Or, grab a book and escape into someone else's life for awhile.
Hugs!

Learn a new skill. That's what I do. I set out to do something new and spend time on that.

Sounds like the dreaded "burn out". Time to reinvent yourself/your B&B. As already suggested, try something new! And breathe...just breathe...

Glad to know I am not the only one. I thought it was all the extra I am having to do with DH. Perhaps he is innocent this time. Hmmmmmmm. Keep me posted if you find an answer and I will do same. I am hoping my reunion Saturday will help.
My breakfast plan is not going to work because of Labor Day. I now plan to ask the guests tomorrow at breakfast - after telling them the situation - which chain restaurant they would like the gift card to for Saturday's breakfast. We have that hopping pancake place and the Ohio sausage purveyor for them to choose from. I figure a $30 gift card will do it. Will check the menu of choice for the most expensive breakfast and will add coffee and juice to determine $$.

I am sorry you feel that way. Maybe you can do half the amount of social media, spend more time on your book, then have the excitement of checking your inbox every day after you send it to the publishers.
Either that or prevail on one of your children to move very close so you can get a grandkid fix more often.

Maybe look through your old guest books or blogs. Read about how much fun it was and how appreciated all your efforts have been.
Hugs!.
You know I think what you are going through is normal. Some times life sucks and no matter what you try it does not seem to get better. Some guest can and are a drag.
Life can take some ugly turns.
But what working for us when that happen. We changed this around changed how we did things . Some stuff we do not do any more. We changed menus for both areas. We change the service we give. We bought new beds yes maybe one we had no other choice. But it was stressful trying to buy every thing, But at the same time it was exciting . I love spending money.
Change is good even though it may be a bit scary, But it is darn exciting. It brought excitement back again. The best part for me is designing a menu and the cooking it. Trying new things. Seeing how people like it.
Bought a tea service thought I might give that a try... But sadly that did not work out so good. But I am not giving up next year new people maybe they will enjoy my labor. Also will charge for having a full tea service with well that I am not sure of yet! Have all winter to plan that out. I guess what I am saying is change what you are doing even if the other half is not sure that was a good idea.... cauz you will never know till you try it.
Hugzzz

Hugs!.
You know I think what you are going through is normal. Some times life sucks and no matter what you try it does not seem to get better. Some guest can and are a drag.
But what working for us when that happen. We changed this around changed how we did things . Some stuff we do not do any more. We changed menus for both areas. We change the service we give. We bought new beds yes maybe one we had no other choice. But it was stressful trying to buy every thing, But at the same time it was exciting . I love spending money.
Change is good even though it may be a bit scary, But it is darn exciting. It brought excitement back again. The best part for me is designing a menu and the cooking it. Trying new things. Seeing how people like it.
Bought a tea service thought I might give that a try... But sadly that did not work out so good. But I am not giving up next year new people maybe they will enjoy my labor. Also will charge for having a full tea service with well that I am not sure of yet! Have all winter to plan that out. I guess what I am saying is change what you are doing even if the other half is not sure that was a good idea.... cauz you will never know till you try it.
Hugzzz
Flower said:
Hugzzz
I have to learn not to verbalize to Himself. No matter what it is that I want to do, he is negative. Even though the track record is what I come up with works.
Noting what has been said here about size of bed even with a small room, I am planning to move queen bed into the full-size room (the tight will be at the bottom) and putting a king in the ensuite room. Folding THOSE sheets is going to be a challenge - queen is bad enough - but I have already been using king size blankets and quilts in that room. Sheets & pillows is all I will have to buy. When I buy pillowcases, I already buy king size (I like the way the end falls over the side of the bed). HIS slap is that I barely have room for the night stands now. I may just have some made to order - corner units maybe....... Almost slipped about the Saturday arrivals last night - I do not want to hear about it all weekend and I do not want to go to my reunion alone (I think).

You're just tired. I know I am. We can't possibly be 'up' for the entire year. Just accept the fact that you've got an attitude right now, try not to show it to the guests and it will all get better very soon.

Hugs!.
Hugzzz
Flower said:
Hugzzz
I have to learn not to verbalize to Himself. No matter what it is that I want to do, he is negative. Even though the track record is what I come up with works.
Noting what has been said here about size of bed even with a small room, I am planning to move queen bed into the full-size room (the tight will be at the bottom) and putting a king in the ensuite room. Folding THOSE sheets is going to be a challenge - queen is bad enough - but I have already been using king size blankets and quilts in that room. Sheets & pillows is all I will have to buy. When I buy pillowcases, I already buy king size (I like the way the end falls over the side of the bed). HIS slap is that I barely have room for the night stands now. I may just have some made to order - corner units maybe....... Almost slipped about the Saturday arrivals last night - I do not want to hear about it all weekend and I do not want to go to my reunion alone (I think).
Ho Ho ....you bet folding the king is a big deal but ironing them is thee big challenge. The ironing boards are not wide enough. What I end up doing was bought a pro iron one that has the steam at 4.5 bricks in stem strength. Then fold the sheets length wises and iron them in the the four folds. Yes the iron does ok when ironing 4 layers. It even irons my napkins 3 or 4 at a time . Love it so far. It beats a regular iron any day. Why I didn't do this before who knows. Maybe because of money likely that was the reason . It sure would of saved me time. Now I am looking for an ironing board that is longer and wider. More like the Ironing boards over in Europe.
As for night stands I had the same problem so we added a bathroom shelf in glass and attached it to the side wall so it has a night light and room for their stuff book, jewelry and a Kleenex box. In the other room we installed a half shelf and mounted it to the wall. On the same side as the head board is. We now have 22 inches on either side of the bed. Just enough to make the bed and for guest to get out of bed with room to move.

Madeleine said:
It's August. Worst month of the year for me personally. But this feeling has been going on all year now. I'm not interested in blogging, don't care about Facebook, lost interest in taking photos.
What do you do to get the passion back? I can remember the excitement from when we started but it's just out of my grasp.
I totally get this and cycle through it myself, always have, even in my previous life (which is perhaps why we bought a B&B in the first place -- a cure for ennui!).
I find what works for me is, like others have said, doing something new. That could be making a change with the business or tackling a new challenge in any aspect. If there's some sort of schedule or time structure to it, that's even better for motivation and momentum. Things that have worked for me: NaNoWriMo, Body 4 Life, Real Ladies of cream cheese competition, volunteering on an org committee for a specific event, taking non-credit classes (I did one via distance learning on creative travel writing), buying property. Other ideas in the wings for me: learn the basics of a new language, learn to paint or other kind of art/craft, try another fitness plan, plan a bucket-list holiday or just going somewhere I've never been.
The challenge when ennui strikes in the busy season is finding time to fit the exciting new thing into already busy days. I hope you find something!

Madeleine said:
I totally get this and cycle through it myself, always have, even in my previous life (which is perhaps why we bought a B&B in the first place -- a cure for ennui!).
I find what works for me is, like others have said, doing something new. That could be making a change with the business or tackling a new challenge in any aspect. If there's some sort of schedule or time structure to it, that's even better for motivation and momentum. Things that have worked for me: NaNoWriMo, Body 4 Life, Real Ladies of cream cheese competition, volunteering on an org committee for a specific event, taking non-credit classes (I did one via distance learning on creative travel writing), buying property. Other ideas in the wings for me: learn the basics of a new language, learn to paint or other kind of art/craft, try another fitness plan, plan a bucket-list holiday or just going somewhere I've never been.
The challenge when ennui strikes in the busy season is finding time to fit the exciting new thing into already busy days. I hope you find something!.
I'm working with 2 writing groups right now. One for polishing 'the book', one for performance. Those are helping.
I'm going to start back on my French lessons again now that it looks like we'll be spending more time with dh's family.
Otherwise, I'm going to get out of the house for longer.
The problem is I feel I'm letting the business down by not being interested enough to keep up the marketing and bring in new ideas.
Thanks for the ideas! Everyone!

You're entitled to days off. Rest your mind. Everybody gets a vacation. You aren't letting your business down by taking one, you are renewing your energy.

Could it be that during the month of August we were all supposed to relax, go on vacation, sit on the porch drinking mint juleps? A time for creative thought, smelling the flowers, eating local, visiting with friends and family.....that's what we are programed for in August.
Bummer....it's our luck to have August be one of our busiest months. But it is what it is. I try to work extra exercise into my day to pump the endorphins up. It's the only way I can get anything done, otherwise I just loll around wanting to nap! LOL

You're entitled to days off. Rest your mind. Everybody gets a vacation. You aren't letting your business down by taking one, you are renewing your energy..
TheBeachHouse said:
You're entitled to days off. Rest your mind. Everybody gets a vacation. You aren't letting your business down by taking one, you are renewing your energy.
I wish I was talking about needing or taking a vacation. This has been going on all year. Even when I was on vacation I had no interest in doing anything. When we came back it took me a month to paint one room. So, room offline, not bringing in income because I can't get it together anymore.
Sigh.

You're entitled to days off. Rest your mind. Everybody gets a vacation. You aren't letting your business down by taking one, you are renewing your energy..
TheBeachHouse said:
I wish I was talking about needing or taking a vacation. This has been going on all year. Even when I was on vacation I had no interest in doing anything. When we came back it took me a month to paint one room. So, room offline, not bringing in income because I can't get it together anymore.
Sigh.
Get your thyroid checked

TheBeachHouse said:
Sigh.
Go talk to a professional.

TheBeachHouse said:
Sigh.
I agree that you need a professional. Sounds like depression. Not uncommon, especially since you've really been fighting the abdominal problems this year. You probably need a whole workup. My FIL barely wanted to do anything and the Dr. did a workup and put him on thyroid meds. He's like a new man.

Hugs!.
Hugzzz
Flower said:
Hugzzz
Ho Ho ....you bet folding the king is a big deal but ironing them is thee big challenge. The ironing boards are not wide enough. What I end up doing was bought a pro iron one that has the steam at 4.5 bricks in stem strength. Then fold the sheets length wises and iron them in the the four folds. Yes the iron does ok when ironing 4 layers. It even irons my napkins 3 or 4 at a time . Love it so far. It beats a regular iron any day. Why I didn't do this before who knows. Maybe because of money likely that was the reason . It sure would of saved me time. Now I am looking for an ironing board that is longer and wider. More like the Ironing boards over in Europe.
As for night stands I had the same problem so we added a bathroom shelf in glass and attached it to the side wall so it has a night light and room for their stuff book, jewelry and a Kleenex box. In the other room we installed a half shelf and mounted it to the wall. On the same side as the head board is. We now have 22 inches on either side of the bed. Just enough to make the bed and for guest to get out of bed with room to move.
I have lamp, Kleenex, and magazines on one with room for their stuff (DH's Mother's sewing machine cabinet) and lamp clock radio/alarm,CD player, comment book, and room for cell phone on charger on the other side. This one is a 2-drawer real night stand. I will have no problem jettisoning any or all to the curb when the time comes. Stand that is. The lamps stay.

TheBeachHouse said:
Sigh.
I agree that you need a professional. Sounds like depression. Not uncommon, especially since you've really been fighting the abdominal problems this year. You probably need a whole workup. My FIL barely wanted to do anything and the Dr. did a workup and put him on thyroid meds. He's like a new man.
Funny about the thyroid. You know I had those stomach issues and basically stopped eating for months. I never lost any weight!
I'll mention it to my gp, who is essentially useless. But if I push it might make a difference.

Back