B&B/apartment complex near UVA gets approval from Planning Commission - INN the news 12.31.08

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One more thing that I found pretty interesting:
[COLOR= rgb(51, 51, 51)]"Commissioner Genevieve Keller praises project for providing reduced rent for tenants without cars"[/COLOR]
Sheesh I can see tenants without cars at most low income housing apartments! They have their heads screwed on backwards. This just seems totally illegal, "You get reduced rent if you don't own a car" what flippin' country is this anyway?.
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
[COLOR= rgb(51, 51, 51)]"Commissioner Genevieve Keller praises project for providing reduced rent for tenants without cars"[/COLOR]
Sheesh I can see tenants without cars at most low income housing apartments! They have their heads screwed on backwards. This just seems totally illegal, "You get reduced rent if you don't own a car" what flippin' country is this anyway?
Usually, in a city, if you own a car, your garage space costs more per year than your rent. But, that's an option. Own a car, pay to store it. Interesting that if you don't have a car you get a reduction in rent. Who is going to police that? Quite a few of our guests don't own cars, they use public transport to get around and rent a car to go on vacation.
Here you MUST own a car even if you live in a city. There may be transit in the city, but most of what anyone is going to need needs a car to get there. We do have a bust that goes through Shinnston to Clarksburg to the south and Fairmont to the north. I would love to use it, but I do not have 3 hours to give up between getting on and waiting for the next bus that returns (this one returns NOW so I do nee time to do the shopping). Plus how am I supposed to manage 2 or 3 boxes of fruit & veggies on a bus. It is the time frame for me. In Charleston, much shopping has followed the trend of going "out" and the city limits following to annex. You have to have a car in WV (or very good walking legs).

I am for public transport if it is workable. I used to catch 3 trains to work from the southern suburbs to downtown Sydney - sure you could drive and sit in traffic and pay a ton to park your vehicle for the week. I walked a mile to the train station and a mile home afterward, instead of changing trains at one spot I would walk 8 blocks to catch another and be guaranteed a seat for the 45 minute ride home. Still 3 trains in and 3 trains back.
I was in great shape - even lunchtime I walked into China town or the Greek club for a beer - yeah folks down under you drink on your lunch break. True.
But we still had a vehicle, had to. I miss those days of being fit and reading a book per week.
I do not miss the heat of summer when those certain first generation ethnic groups who do not bath regularly or wear anti-perspirant could fog up the windows with their vidalia vapor. It was gut renching. GUT RENCHING!

Sheesh I can see tenants without cars at most low income housing apartments! They have their heads screwed on backwards. This just seems totally illegal, "You get reduced rent if you don't own a car" what flippin' country is this anyway?.
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Sheesh I can see tenants without cars at most low income housing apartments! They have their heads screwed on backwards. This just seems totally illegal, "You get reduced rent if you don't own a car" what flippin' country is this anyway?
Usually, in a city, if you own a car, your garage space costs more per year than your rent. But, that's an option. Own a car, pay to store it. Interesting that if you don't have a car you get a reduction in rent. Who is going to police that? Quite a few of our guests don't own cars, they use public transport to get around and rent a car to go on vacation.
Bree said:
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
This is not NY, it is in the hills of VA. A city, yes, a metro - uh not sure if you could call it that.
I guess I was assuming that if they had a rent reduction for no car, there were ways to get around with no car. And people who have no cars.

So now someone posted a comment promoting their directory. From this forum I am confident.
confused_smile.gif

Well the more comments the better, knowing that people are not pleased..
Well I just spoke with a friend and she said one of them actually took the aspiring innkeeper class from BBAV! She didn't seem too upset about this but didn't realize it had gotten to the size of a hotel!! So that could change things. It is in a pretty noisy area near the university so doubts it would attract a B & B goer. We'll see what more develops.
catlady said:
....doubts it would attract a B & B goer. ...
But just having 'bed and breakfast' in the name would attract some and hurts the industry. I would be all in favor of an organization such as PAII trying to get with each state and making a universial definition, if you will, for constitutes a bed and breakfast. My DH has read some states rules on this issue...some say no more than 5 room, others say 10, some say it must be in a family home, innkeeper occupied, other states no rules.
Then of course you have B&B dot com and the like, who use the bed and breakfast name but allow larger businesses to pay for listings because it brings more money in their pockets...and drives up the cost to be a member. So they too, are not helping our industry keep boundries. We have seen larger hotels use the bed and breakfast name on their signs and in their promotions. (I read a few years back where FL made all hotels remove those words from their signs).
No wonder there are a lot of sceptical people out there unsure of booking at a 'bed and breakfast'.
Whew!!! ... As you can see this is one of my pet peeves!
Copperhead said:
catlady said:
Then of course you have B&B dot com and the like, who use the bed and breakfast name but allow larger businesses to pay for listings because it brings more money in their pockets...and drives up the cost to be a member. So they too, are not helping our industry keep boundries.
I don't think they check at all to see who is signing up...they had a bunch of hostels on there awhile ago. $29/night, shared bedroom.
I agree that some sort of framework for what constitutes a B&B/Inn is in order.
Bree said:
Copperhead said:
catlady said:
Then of course you have B&B dot com and the like, who use the bed and breakfast name but allow larger businesses to pay for listings because it brings more money in their pockets...and drives up the cost to be a member. So they too, are not helping our industry keep boundries.
I don't think they check at all to see who is signing up...they had a bunch of hostels on there awhile ago. $29/night, shared bedroom.
That is the problem - They (directories) don't check because they do not care who signs up as long as the green keeps coming in. Personally I believe they would have more B&B members if the directories were true to the industry and keep their prices at a rate that innkeepers can afford. I think they could clearly make up for any loss in quanity. And B&B travelers would have a solid place(s) to find what they really are looking for. I don't know about the rest of you but I do get a lot of guests that speak of going to what they thought was a B&B and find out it was a larger Inn or small hotel and run as such with no personal attention.

So now someone posted a comment promoting their directory. From this forum I am confident.
confused_smile.gif

Well the more comments the better, knowing that people are not pleased..
Well I just spoke with a friend and she said one of them actually took the aspiring innkeeper class from BBAV! She didn't seem too upset about this but didn't realize it had gotten to the size of a hotel!! So that could change things. It is in a pretty noisy area near the university so doubts it would attract a B & B goer. We'll see what more develops.
catlady said:
But just having 'bed and breakfast' in the name would attract some and hurts the industry. I would be all in favor of an organization such as PAII trying to get with each state and making a universial definition, if you will, for constitutes a bed and breakfast. My DH has read some states rules on this issue...some say no more than 5 room, others say 10, some say it must be in a family home, innkeeper occupied, other states no rules.
Then of course you have B&B dot com and the like, who use the bed and breakfast name but allow larger businesses to pay for listings because it brings more money in their pockets...and drives up the cost to be a member. So they too, are not helping our industry keep boundries. We have seen larger hotels use the bed and breakfast name on their signs and in their promotions. (I read a few years back where FL made all hotels remove those words from their signs).
No wonder there are a lot of sceptical people out there unsure of booking at a 'bed and breakfast'.
Whew!!! ... As you can see this is one of my pet peeves!
Copperhead said:
catlady said:
Bree said:
Copperhead said:
catlady said:
That is the problem - They (directories) don't check because they do not care who signs up as long as the green keeps coming in. Personally I believe they would have more B&B members if the directories were true to the industry and keep their prices at a rate that innkeepers can afford. I think they could clearly make up for any loss in quanity. And B&B travelers would have a solid place(s) to find what they really are looking for. I don't know about the rest of you but I do get a lot of guests that speak of going to what they thought was a B&B and find out it was a larger Inn or small hotel and run as such with no personal attention.
Copperhead said:
This seems to be a problem with a multitude of out of touch marketing groups. My own town group recently published the factoid that only 23% of the businesses in town bother to join. So, their solution is to raise the rates (30%) of everyone else who did join. Hmmmm. Lower rates, get more businesses to join, make it look like this town has more then 100 businesses, spread the pain and the wealth around? Naw. Why would we want to do that, then we'd have to listen to more business owners gripe.
By next year, the marketing group may be out of business. Only a few of the B&B's joined this year, most of the major retail chains don't belong at all. The hotels are screaming at the price they are expected to pay. Writing's on the wall...

There is no constistancy or common sense to what they allow here. It is usually who you know and how much money you have. I can't believe they are calling it a "B&B" when it's obviously a hotel. There are probably legal reasons they are doing that? Some old boy deal to another hotel that they wouldn't let another hotel be built near UVA or something like that.
The city has different regs than the county where I am located.
This will be nowhere near the downtown walking pedestrian mall, and near the "corner" where the kids hang out and right now they are telling visitors to be cautious when walking there at night, as there are occasional muggings there. And with all the UVA traffic getting in and out will not be fun. It sounds like a good location but it's only really good for people who have business at UVA. Or people who are coming to town to see a show at the JPJ arena.
I see more compeition with the new luxury hotel that is being built on the downtown mall. But the builder and contractor are squabbling so much I'm not sure when it will be completed.
At this point I'm glad that I have the wine tours since that draws people to me. We also provide transportation to and from town until 9:30, which some people like to use if they've been wine tasting.
RIki

I just looked at this closer and it's interesting that this has not been on the news that I can recall. They are allowing this developer to build more densely than the zoning allows. It's in a really poor place to get in and out with cars and DH has a word for it which I can't use online --a cluster(*&(^!!! of a location. I would not enjoy staying there unless I have stuff to do at UVA. But it's also a long walk up a gentle hill to any of the UVA buildings!!! I can't see the average American walking it - Europeans would, but not Americans. There are maybe two restaurants European walking distance from them so you will have to take a bus (again not a US habit) or take your car out. And then if you take your car out there is our parking status. It's okay so long as there are no events going on and you don't mind paying a garage...
Riki

I am totally unsure why I was allowed to submit a comment with my email address and name unpublished in the first place? This is what I just got in an email and I wanted to note more comments have been added to this article - you can clik the link to read them.
Thanks for posting comments on our blog.
http://cvilletomorrow.typepad.com/charlottesville_tomorrow_/2008/12/oakhurst_approval.html#comment-6a00d834519bec69e2010536a0195e970b
It is very valuable to have the community’s input on these issues. We do prefer, however, to display people’s first and last names and anonymous comments are not allowed. We want to encourage a civil discussion of growth and development issues, and my belief is that is best done by requiring people to put their name on their comments.

With your permission, I’d like to get your last name so I can add that to the entry. I can also remove the comment if you wish to remain anonymous.

Thanks in advance.
Brian

Brian Wheeler, Executive Director
Charlottesville Tomorrow
230 Court Square, Suite 201
Charlottesville, VA 22902

[email protected]
tel: 434-295-4955
fax: 866-252-5530
www.cvilletomorrow.org
Visit our blog for the latest growth and development news

[/td]
[/td] [/tr][/table]

I am totally unsure why I was allowed to submit a comment with my email address and name unpublished in the first place? This is what I just got in an email and I wanted to note more comments have been added to this article - you can clik the link to read them.
http://cvilletomorrow.typepad.com/charlottesville_tomorrow_/2008/12/oakhurst_approval.html#comment-6a00d834519bec69e2010536a0195e970b
It is very valuable to have the community’s input on these issues. We do prefer, however, to display people’s first and last names and anonymous comments are not allowed. We want to encourage a civil discussion of growth and development issues, and my belief is that is best done by requiring people to put their name on their comments.

With your permission, I’d like to get your last name so I can add that to the entry. I can also remove the comment if you wish to remain anonymous.

Thanks in advance.
Brian

Charlottesville Tomorrow

[email protected]
www.cvilletomorrow.org

[/td]
[/td] [/tr][/table].
I got that too. Told him my name because I meant what I said.

Thanks in advance.
Brian

Charlottesville Tomorrow

[email protected]
www.cvilletomorrow.org

[/td]
[/td] [/tr][/table].
gillumhouse said:
My name and email were there, I just opted to not have them viewable by joe public. I think that is fair enough, they can verify like he did.

Back