B&B .com Gift Cards

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Off topic, but B&B.com are launching a new website. I got an email about it the other day. S/B interesting to see what changes are made.

I was not taking them either but had a lady very upset that we didn't. She couldn't understand why not all inns took them and that it would only make sense that they should all take the gift cards. She could not understand how if you bought them from b&b.com you wouldn't be able to choose any inn. I explained that we have the choice not to. She said they had booked and was coming even if we wouldn't take them but she was very upset. I talked to her and they had booked two rooms for two nights so I was willing to call b&b.com to see if I could accept them this one time for her. They said yes.
I went on to my listing at b&b.com as if I were a guest and I think I would have assumed the same. I told my guest that I could see her point very clearly and when we renew we would start taking them ( not excited about giving them 20%). We renewed yesterday. I feel this is the right thing to do for the guests. Yesterday I saw where she had written a review and it was the kindest review I think I have ever received. She is put it on TA and b&b.com but the b&b.com one is not there just yet. I am so glad I saw it through a guests eyes. She e-mailed me and said the review was very sincere and they loved it here.
I told b&b.com that it doesn't seem very clear that not all inns take them. Their answer was it is made very clear to who buys them. Well if the one that buys them doesn't bother to tell the one who they give them to, then it is not clear to the guest.
To your question just call and tell them what happened and they might let you use it one time shot..
Believe it or not it is a lot clearer now than it was a few years ago.
We still get calls but we haven't gotten any guests lately who have yelled at us. But none of them stay. I tell them who else takes them and off they go.
They were never repeats when we took them. One hit wonders. They got the GC, figured they had to use it and just did what they had to do.

I was not taking them either but had a lady very upset that we didn't. She couldn't understand why not all inns took them and that it would only make sense that they should all take the gift cards. She could not understand how if you bought them from b&b.com you wouldn't be able to choose any inn. I explained that we have the choice not to. She said they had booked and was coming even if we wouldn't take them but she was very upset. I talked to her and they had booked two rooms for two nights so I was willing to call b&b.com to see if I could accept them this one time for her. They said yes.
I went on to my listing at b&b.com as if I were a guest and I think I would have assumed the same. I told my guest that I could see her point very clearly and when we renew we would start taking them ( not excited about giving them 20%). We renewed yesterday. I feel this is the right thing to do for the guests. Yesterday I saw where she had written a review and it was the kindest review I think I have ever received. She is put it on TA and b&b.com but the b&b.com one is not there just yet. I am so glad I saw it through a guests eyes. She e-mailed me and said the review was very sincere and they loved it here.
I told b&b.com that it doesn't seem very clear that not all inns take them. Their answer was it is made very clear to who buys them. Well if the one that buys them doesn't bother to tell the one who they give them to, then it is not clear to the guest.
To your question just call and tell them what happened and they might let you use it one time shot..
Believe it or not it is a lot clearer now than it was a few years ago.
We still get calls but we haven't gotten any guests lately who have yelled at us. But none of them stay. I tell them who else takes them and off they go.
They were never repeats when we took them. One hit wonders. They got the GC, figured they had to use it and just did what they had to do.
Alibi Ike said:
One hit wonders.
We use this ALL the time! Great (warped) minds think alike...

The main problem that I have heard with the Bedandbreakfast.com gift cards is that they allow guests to use up to three for one stay. The problem with this is that they can arrive with three $200 valued gift cards and then they want to use them for the room, massages, and other priced packages. I would not touch them with a ten foot pole. They can go buy them discounted at Costco and other places and then bundle them for use.
If this practice is no longer allowed, then I guess if you need the business it's worth losing 20%. But I would contact B&B and ask them if you can specify ONE gift cert per room per stay and see what they say.
Riki.
egoodell said:
The main problem that I have heard with the Bedandbreakfast.com gift cards is that they allow guests to use up to three for one stay. The problem with this is that they can arrive with three $200 valued gift cards and then they want to use them for the room, massages, and other priced packages. I would not touch them with a ten foot pole. They can go buy them discounted at Costco and other places and then bundle them for use.
If this practice is no longer allowed, then I guess if you need the business it's worth losing 20%. But I would contact B&B and ask them if you can specify ONE gift cert per room per stay and see what they say.
Riki
I don't take their GC!
So what if they limited it to one GC per stay... Cards can be of any value, so what if they came with one valued at 800?
Here is the info directly from the Registration Form/Terms:
Some gift cards from Costco have restrictions regarding how many cards can be used per stay; for these cards, please refer to the terms and conditions printed on the back of the card, which will explain how many cards can be used per stay. You should not accept the BedandBreakfast.com Online Reservations Gift Card, sold in Costco warehouses. BedandBreakfast.com Online Gift Cards purchased at Costco are only redeemable online at BedandBreakfast.com.

Riki.
egoodell said:
Riki
I don't take their GC!
So what if they limited it to one GC per stay... Cards can be of any value, so what if they came with one valued at 800?
Some gift cards from Costco have restrictions regarding how many cards can be used per stay; for these cards, please refer to the terms and conditions printed on the back of the card, which will explain how many cards can be used per stay. You should not accept the BedandBreakfast.com Online Reservations Gift Card, sold in Costco warehouses. BedandBreakfast.com Online Gift Cards purchased at Costco are only redeemable online at BedandBreakfast.com.
How do WE know this info tho, until the card arrives at the door? How can you tell one card from another if you are the recipient of a gift and are trying to make your reservation? Does the Costco, online only card state that in BOLD on the FRONT of the card? Anyone know?

Riki.
egoodell said:
Riki
I don't take their GC!
How do WE know this info tho, until the card arrives at the door? How can you tell one card from another if you are the recipient of a gift and are trying to make your reservation? Does the Costco, online only card state that in BOLD on the FRONT of the card? Anyone know?
The ones that are limited to two say on them "Costco Order #". It also has a complete disclaimer about the properties own limitations, no combinations with other coupons or discounts, etc.
The one that have to be booked direct specifically say Costco Certificate #". They specify that you must book via the website on a property that says "Book It" and that they are not valid for payment directly to property. Essentially, these you should never see and can only be used if you allow BB direct reservations.

I know BedandBreakfast.com monitors this forum. I'm surprised they haven't weighed in on this issue.
I'd really like to hear what they have to say and what they are planning to do to fix the problem.

I know BedandBreakfast.com monitors this forum. I'm surprised they haven't weighed in on this issue.
I'd really like to hear what they have to say and what they are planning to do to fix the problem..
I think that is our answer. ;)

I'd really like to hear what they have to say and what they are planning to do to fix the problem..
Proud Texan said:
I'd really like to hear what they have to say and what they are planning to do to fix the problem.
They haven't really been chiming in to much lately. A lot of this is old news so it's understandable that they don't need to speak up.

Proud Texan said:
They haven't really been chiming in to much lately. A lot of this is old news so it's understandable that they don't need to speak up.
After they sold to Homeaway, they've been virtually non-existant on this board. If you thought the old owners didn't care, hang on to your seat....it's going to be a bumpy ride.

Proud Texan said:
After they sold to Homeaway, they've been virtually non-existant on this board. If you thought the old owners didn't care, hang on to your seat....it's going to be a bumpy ride.
Breakfast Diva said:
Agreed!

Riki.
egoodell said:
Riki
I don't take their GC!
The ones that are limited to two say on them "Costco Order #". It also has a complete disclaimer about the properties own limitations, no combinations with other coupons or discounts, etc.
The one that have to be booked direct specifically say Costco Certificate #". They specify that you must book via the website on a property that says "Book It" and that they are not valid for payment directly to property. Essentially, these you should never see and can only be used if you allow BB direct reservations.
Eric Arthur Blair said:
The problem is that this is something the B&B does not see until the guest arrives. Again I do not accept their GC so hopefully will not be presented with one. BUT for the ones that do, what do they do if the guest presents one of these at check out and has no other means to pay for their stay? Yes it is the GUEST responsibility but still the B&B is the one wondering how they will be paid. (Another reason to take payment on arrival
wink_smile.gif
)

Well we redeemed our gift card. I just $60 even show up in the account. So we got .80 on the dollar.

Have a guest here tonight for a college graduation who called and was very perturbed that she could not use her bb.com gc. She said "You are printed right in the book that came with them!" We were, that was what 5 years ago now when they first came out sold at costco? So the gc dont ever expire, but the inns may!
So for her room I would have to pay GG.com $60! On a prime weekend!! She booked the room AND then called back to tell me about the gc's btw. Then she said I guess I have to come anyway, without them. S/b a lovely lady tonight!

*If they really push the issue here is the solution. Yes we can take the BB.com GC's with a 20% surcharge. Yes this is against the rules from BB.com but they charge US the surcharge, so tell the guests 20% and you can use it. So for all of those (which are MOST OF THOSE USING THESE CARDS) who have received them as gifts, maybe they will redeem them and pay the 20%.
again, illegal, just saying an aloud thing here, as they aren't doing us any favors, I know the stats they show say that guests spend $400+ and only use $100 gc, so we only lose $20, but we all know that is rubbish. LOL!

Have a guest here tonight for a college graduation who called and was very perturbed that she could not use her bb.com gc. She said "You are printed right in the book that came with them!" We were, that was what 5 years ago now when they first came out sold at costco? So the gc dont ever expire, but the inns may!
So for her room I would have to pay GG.com $60! On a prime weekend!! She booked the room AND then called back to tell me about the gc's btw. Then she said I guess I have to come anyway, without them. S/b a lovely lady tonight!

*If they really push the issue here is the solution. Yes we can take the BB.com GC's with a 20% surcharge. Yes this is against the rules from BB.com but they charge US the surcharge, so tell the guests 20% and you can use it. So for all of those (which are MOST OF THOSE USING THESE CARDS) who have received them as gifts, maybe they will redeem them and pay the 20%.
again, illegal, just saying an aloud thing here, as they aren't doing us any favors, I know the stats they show say that guests spend $400+ and only use $100 gc, so we only lose $20, but we all know that is rubbish. LOL!.
I like it, if they insist on using it charge them the 20%. And you don't have to participate with them to take the GC, so you wouldn't be breaking their rules, just regift it or use it yourself. Beat 'em at their own game!

Back