Backing up website content?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alibi Ike

Reaction score
The server that hosts my website is in Miami. I've had enough problems in the past to know that if guests who live in Miami are canceling due to the storms that I may encounter some problems. So, I'm backing up my site offline. Here's the issue...I cannot backup anything that has a file extension of .pdf, .sbtf or .swf. Altho these files already exist elsewhere, I would like to keep all of the web info together.
Any ideas on this? I get an error for the .swf that the file cannot be opened to be read, thus cannot be saved. And the .pdf error is server extensions cannot access the file, please check the server for permissions.
I am guessing this is something I need to call the hosting company about, correct?
Mostly the problem is that these errors stop anything after that from copying. So, I've had to do the rest one page, one photo at a time.

That is weird. Are you manually trying to copy via a file manager? You should do it with FTP. If you don't have one go get free Filezilla.

I'm still using FP. I hit a button that says 'publish website'. It worked fine until I put in the slide shows. It hangs up on those file types even tho it has created the file on my backup drive.
So, random parts of the website have been copied, but not all of it. I tried doing it folder by folder but that hangs up halfway thru. Will see if Filezilla will do what I need but not sure how it works.

I'm still using FP. I hit a button that says 'publish website'. It worked fine until I put in the slide shows. It hangs up on those file types even tho it has created the file on my backup drive.
So, random parts of the website have been copied, but not all of it. I tried doing it folder by folder but that hangs up halfway thru. Will see if Filezilla will do what I need but not sure how it works..
Same problem. Filezilla hangs up on the same file. I tried dragging and dropping the file from where it is on my hard drive to the memory stick and I get the same error, so it must be something wrong with the file itself.
I am going to try to just FTP everything else but those 2 files (they're for one of the slideshows) and see what happens.

So, random parts of the website have been copied, but not all of it. I tried doing it folder by folder but that hangs up halfway thru. Will see if Filezilla will do what I need but not sure how it works..
Same problem. Filezilla hangs up on the same file. I tried dragging and dropping the file from where it is on my hard drive to the memory stick and I get the same error, so it must be something wrong with the file itself.
I am going to try to just FTP everything else but those 2 files (they're for one of the slideshows) and see what happens.
Do you have enough memory on the flash drive? The .sbt is a strange extension...it is propriatary for the flash slider. That maybe the reason..but it is still just a file and it should transfer :-( I mentioned in another post a new slider software I just bought. Though you can use it free with some limitations. I bought 5 licenses for sites I am working on. It is pretty slick and it is SEO friendly from what they say. It is Easy Rotator. See here a site I just did this morning.

Do you have enough memory on the flash drive? The .sbt is a strange extension...it is propriatary for the flash slider. That maybe the reason..but it is still just a file and it should transfer :-( I mentioned in another post a new slider software I just bought. Though you can use it free with some limitations. I bought 5 licenses for sites I am working on. It is pretty slick and it is SEO friendly from what they say. It is Easy Rotator. See here a site I just did this morning.
Tons of free space. But I'm going to redo that one slideshow tomorrow and resave it.

Tons of free space. But I'm going to redo that one slideshow tomorrow and resave it.
YOu ought to try that easy rotator. It is jquery so apple friendly so they say :) ANd it is much easier to do than the Amara one. REALLY :)
IF you try it, let me know. I already learned a few tips through asking support questions because I paid for it
cheers.gif

Deleted the 3 files causing the problem and the download completed. Yeah! Still no idea why one of the slideshows was 'bad'. I even recreated it. No luck.

Back