Bad Guest experience that you learned from?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
*There is no smoking allowed anywhere on our property and out of courtesy to our neighbors,
we ask that you do not smoke in front of the inn or neighboring properties.
This one came about after a wedding in which about 30 drunk guests went out to the street to smoke and drink and the smoke wafted into our neighbors swamp cooler, she was not happy!
*In order to hold your room, all reservations require a deposit equal to one night's room and tax or 50% of stay (whichever is more). Cancellations with less than 3 weeks notice are non-refundable unless we can re-book the room(s).

Changed this from a simple authorization only, due to losing too much $$ over large group and multiple night stay cancellations.
Regarding cancellations: I had a guest from Europe tell us that if he booked a room and had to cancel, he would not expect a refund, no matter how far in advance he booked (apparently it is not customary where he is from) and he also gave us his opinion that we should not refund moneys, because we "have already sold the room and who else in the business world has to work twice for the same dollar?" He's one of our favorite guests, obviously!!
Guests not included in original reservation require a minimum 48 hr notice.
Additional guests without reservations are subject to $50 fee and must be present at check-in.

This one is due to a girl bringing her boyfriend along on a family trip, did not notify us about the add on and we did not find out about him until I saw a man in the hall late at night-when I knew I had a full house of women only, scared the beejezuz out of me!
No pets, certified guide dogs excluded. We do not accommodate guests who plan to leave their pets in the car during their stay.
This came about from a guest who showed up with a reservation, knew we did not allow dogs and brought the dog anyway and planned on leaving the dog in the car. It was going to be 15 degrees that night and we told him sorry, you need to find another place. The guy instantly turned into another person, cursing my husband with everyname in the book! That's when the "right to refuse service" took place.
I could do a novel on changes we've made for weddings here at the inn...You wouldn't even believe the stories ...But alas, I cannot divulge....
No Pets, certified guide dogs excluded...

Just for the benefit of others, there is not really such a thing as a certified guide dog. ADA says we are not allowed to ask for a certification (or other proof) of any service animals. http://www.ada.gov/animal.htm
So does this mean if you book a $99 room for a person with a service animal and you advertise as an inn for people with "sensitivities" aka "allergies", and you have to have your inn professionally cleaned for $500 becuase the dog stayed in one of your rooms, a cost you would not have incurred if that service animal had not stayed with you, you are stuck with a $400 bill and a free nights stay for that guest?
Doesn't seem fair.
Willowpondgj said:
So does this mean if you book a $99 room for a person with a service animal and you advertise as an inn for people with "sensitivities" aka "allergies", and you have to have your inn professionally cleaned for $500 becuase the dog stayed in one of your rooms, a cost you would not have incurred if that service animal had not stayed with you, you are stuck with a $400 bill and a free nights stay for that guest?
Doesn't seem fair.
The short answer is yes.
However, if a dog is staying one or two nights there is no need to go overboard on the cleaning. A good vacuuming should do it. Service animals are generally much better behaved than pets. They pee on command (outside) and don't bark or cause a commotion unless their person is in danger or needs help. Generally. You may evict the exceptions...the dogs that do damage, bark at other guests (without provocation), bite or menace other guests. And, yes, contrary to health dept regs, the dog is allowed in the dining room.
This comes up so infrequently it's probably not an issue for most small B&B's.
I have been asked 3 times for a room when a person had a service animal. The first one didn't book, the second one booked and then cancelled and the third one needed a fenced yard for her dog because he liked to run away. I found her other accommodations. A service animal that runs away is a pet and my dog room was booked.
However, the state rep told me (because I called) that if a guest asks for special accommodations for the SERVICE ANIMAL, I do not have to accept that guest. So, the lady who needed a fenced yard? I didn't have to take her. i did not have to provide special accommodations for the dog.
I had a local come and tour. If the out of town visitor comes, then they'd like to all come over and visit their visitor. One of them would bring a service animal. "It's the law, you know..." Now, this is not the potential guest, this is a potential guest of a potential guest. I told her they can visit in the screened in patio (which has a marble floor). Inwardly I was groaning and thinking, "oh no!!!!" Not because of the dog (I can cope with service animals) but because of the attitude about the law...
=) Kk.
That one would go under the "only registered overnight paying guests allowed on property" rule.
Exactly. In this case the person with the service dog (not being a customer) is only entitled to what the general public has access too. If the general public can't come sit in your livingroom, then neither can a person just because they have a service animal. Having it in writing about no unregistered guests is a good CYA move though.

Which excuses? Family illness? That's why I said she needed a lawyer and why I would attempt to reason with the guest. If the guest is unreasonable and my child will suffer because of it, guess who wins the battle (but may lose the war)? If it were myself (and, yes, to reveal something else maybe YS doesn't know about me, I have asthma and some guests' dogs make me sick), I would suffer thru it. But I wouldn't make my kid suffer.
I am leery of guests who say they have a service animal, just because they don't seem all that sure that they really do have a fully trained animal on their hands. But, I have accepted each one that has called (except the fenced yard lady). I don't require they take the dog room, but I will mention it if it is open.

*There is no smoking allowed anywhere on our property and out of courtesy to our neighbors,
we ask that you do not smoke in front of the inn or neighboring properties.
This one came about after a wedding in which about 30 drunk guests went out to the street to smoke and drink and the smoke wafted into our neighbors swamp cooler, she was not happy!
*In order to hold your room, all reservations require a deposit equal to one night's room and tax or 50% of stay (whichever is more). Cancellations with less than 3 weeks notice are non-refundable unless we can re-book the room(s).

Changed this from a simple authorization only, due to losing too much $$ over large group and multiple night stay cancellations.
Regarding cancellations: I had a guest from Europe tell us that if he booked a room and had to cancel, he would not expect a refund, no matter how far in advance he booked (apparently it is not customary where he is from) and he also gave us his opinion that we should not refund moneys, because we "have already sold the room and who else in the business world has to work twice for the same dollar?" He's one of our favorite guests, obviously!!
Guests not included in original reservation require a minimum 48 hr notice.
Additional guests without reservations are subject to $50 fee and must be present at check-in.

This one is due to a girl bringing her boyfriend along on a family trip, did not notify us about the add on and we did not find out about him until I saw a man in the hall late at night-when I knew I had a full house of women only, scared the beejezuz out of me!
No pets, certified guide dogs excluded. We do not accommodate guests who plan to leave their pets in the car during their stay.
This came about from a guest who showed up with a reservation, knew we did not allow dogs and brought the dog anyway and planned on leaving the dog in the car. It was going to be 15 degrees that night and we told him sorry, you need to find another place. The guy instantly turned into another person, cursing my husband with everyname in the book! That's when the "right to refuse service" took place.
I could do a novel on changes we've made for weddings here at the inn...You wouldn't even believe the stories ...But alas, I cannot divulge....
No Pets, certified guide dogs excluded...

Just for the benefit of others, there is not really such a thing as a certified guide dog. ADA says we are not allowed to ask for a certification (or other proof) of any service animals. http://www.ada.gov/animal.htm
Doesn't seem fair.
Willowpondgj said:
Doesn't seem fair.
The short answer is yes.
However, if a dog is staying one or two nights there is no need to go overboard on the cleaning. A good vacuuming should do it. Service animals are generally much better behaved than pets. They pee on command (outside) and don't bark or cause a commotion unless their person is in danger or needs help. Generally. You may evict the exceptions...the dogs that do damage, bark at other guests (without provocation), bite or menace other guests. And, yes, contrary to health dept regs, the dog is allowed in the dining room.
This comes up so infrequently it's probably not an issue for most small B&B's.
I have been asked 3 times for a room when a person had a service animal. The first one didn't book, the second one booked and then cancelled and the third one needed a fenced yard for her dog because he liked to run away. I found her other accommodations. A service animal that runs away is a pet and my dog room was booked.
However, the state rep told me (because I called) that if a guest asks for special accommodations for the SERVICE ANIMAL, I do not have to accept that guest. So, the lady who needed a fenced yard? I didn't have to take her. i did not have to provide special accommodations for the dog.
I had a local come and tour. If the out of town visitor comes, then they'd like to all come over and visit their visitor. One of them would bring a service animal. "It's the law, you know..." Now, this is not the potential guest, this is a potential guest of a potential guest. I told her they can visit in the screened in patio (which has a marble floor). Inwardly I was groaning and thinking, "oh no!!!!" Not because of the dog (I can cope with service animals) but because of the attitude about the law...
=) Kk.
That one would go under the "only registered overnight paying guests allowed on property" rule.
Exactly. In this case the person with the service dog (not being a customer) is only entitled to what the general public has access too. If the general public can't come sit in your livingroom, then neither can a person just because they have a service animal. Having it in writing about no unregistered guests is a good CYA move though.
swirt said:
Good point. Cut thru the crap and get to the point...she's 'general public' not 'registered guest'.

Which excuses? Family illness? That's why I said she needed a lawyer and why I would attempt to reason with the guest. If the guest is unreasonable and my child will suffer because of it, guess who wins the battle (but may lose the war)? If it were myself (and, yes, to reveal something else maybe YS doesn't know about me, I have asthma and some guests' dogs make me sick), I would suffer thru it. But I wouldn't make my kid suffer.
I am leery of guests who say they have a service animal, just because they don't seem all that sure that they really do have a fully trained animal on their hands. But, I have accepted each one that has called (except the fenced yard lady). I don't require they take the dog room, but I will mention it if it is open..
My guess is a case could be made where one person's disability rights conflict with another person's disability rights. How it gets decided which one wins out, I have no idea...hopefully cooler heads prevail.

I am leery of guests who say they have a service animal, just because they don't seem all that sure that they really do have a fully trained animal on their hands. But, I have accepted each one that has called (except the fenced yard lady). I don't require they take the dog room, but I will mention it if it is open..
My guess is a case could be made where one person's disability rights conflict with another person's disability rights. How it gets decided which one wins out, I have no idea...hopefully cooler heads prevail.
Well, to throw more wrenches in the fire...
As she toured she was asking if we are ADA compliant. Now, neither she, the potential guest, nor the potential visitor of the potential guest are in a wheelchair. Again, raised my radar about her as far as legalities, and so forth. I expained that we are exempt (existing dwelling, small number of rooms) and I am positive she didn't hear a single word I said. I also showed that we did make every attempt to be accessible and accommodating, even though we're not fully wheelchair accessible. Not sure she heard that, either, but she saw the hand rails we have in the bathroom.
Whatever! Could be the guest doesn't stay and the visitor doesn't come... we'll be fine either way.
=) Kk.

Not exactly a "guest" experience.... Tours for people who are "thinking" of booking. None have panned out because they're just lookey-loos. Curiosity seekers. Theser are all people who had SEEN our web site. The next one that shows up..."I'm sorry, I'm just heading out the door. Here's our card for you to call back to schedule a tour. Thanks for stopping by."

As she toured she was asking if we are ADA compliant. Now, neither she, the potential guest, nor the potential visitor of the potential guest are in a wheelchair. Again, raised my radar about her as far as legalities, and so forth. I expained that we are exempt (existing dwelling, small number of rooms) and I am positive she didn't hear a single word I said. I also showed that we did make every attempt to be accessible and accommodating, even though we're not fully wheelchair accessible. Not sure she heard that, either, but she saw the hand rails we have in the bathroom.
Whatever! Could be the guest doesn't stay and the visitor doesn't come... we'll be fine either way.
=) Kk.
OK, this reads a couple of ways...someone who is very aware of what needs to be done and is being vigilant (but doesn't know the law as it pertains to you) or a lawsuit looking to happen.
Quite possibly the whole thing was a ruse to get in the door and do an ad hoc inspection. THEN they complain to the 'proper' authorities that you are not complying with regs.

=) Kk.
OK, this reads a couple of ways...someone who is very aware of what needs to be done and is being vigilant (but doesn't know the law as it pertains to you) or a lawsuit looking to happen.
Quite possibly the whole thing was a ruse to get in the door and do an ad hoc inspection. THEN they complain to the 'proper' authorities that you are not complying with regs.
She's not up for a lawsuit... just the kind who expects the world to cater to the handicapped and who enjoys complaining when they don't.
=) Kk.

Even tho a few posts in I mentioned locking the hallway bathroom, it's a project we haven't gotten to yet. Yet. Today I went to plug in the vacuum cleaner in the outlet near the sink and what do I see? The pattern of hiking boots straddling the toilet. I TOLD those guests to their faces that that bathroom was for the other room (in which there were guests!!!)
He obviosuly didn't think it mattered.
This week I find a nice old lock somewhere. I don't want anything new. There's a salvage place in Portland.
I'll hang a couple of mirrors in the hallway so it's not too dark when all the doors are closed.

Even tho a few posts in I mentioned locking the hallway bathroom, it's a project we haven't gotten to yet. Yet. Today I went to plug in the vacuum cleaner in the outlet near the sink and what do I see? The pattern of hiking boots straddling the toilet. I TOLD those guests to their faces that that bathroom was for the other room (in which there were guests!!!)
This week I find a nice old lock somewhere. I don't want anything new. There's a salvage place in Portland.
I'll hang a couple of mirrors in the hallway so it's not too dark when all the doors are closed..
Not a good spot for a keypad lock? In my jammies shuffling across the hall I might not remember to bring the key. LOL

I'll hang a couple of mirrors in the hallway so it's not too dark when all the doors are closed..
We ended up with a deadbolt keyed the same as the room for that bathroom. Keeping it locked has definitely been a smart, smart move ;-) The extra key is right on the mantle near the door on a tassle and is hard to miss.

Not a good spot for a keypad lock? In my jammies shuffling across the hall I might not remember to bring the key. LOL
I am going to do what Samster said, hang the key on a tassle (like a drape tieback sort of thing) and hang it from the bedroom doorknob (inside
regular_smile.gif
).
As for a keypad, no. Too noisy in the hallway (they buzz) and no real lights there at night. Yes, I do have lights but not bright enough to read the numbers by.
i thought a skeleton key type lock would be fun.

This weekend I had a family reunion booked in for 3 days. I heard running up the steps, figured it was kids. Sent one of the family up to get them and it was 20 somethings that had unlocked the attic door and were going up there. She chased them out and locked the door and brought the key to me.
I had kept the key in the lock. It was locked to just keep the door closed. Nothing up there but 2 furnaces and insulation. But I don't want people going up there. So now have to find a place for my husband to access the key when he wants to go up there. It is a skeleton type key that I had tied a ribbon and tassle on.

This weekend I had a family reunion booked in for 3 days. I heard running up the steps, figured it was kids. Sent one of the family up to get them and it was 20 somethings that had unlocked the attic door and were going up there. She chased them out and locked the door and brought the key to me.
I had kept the key in the lock. It was locked to just keep the door closed. Nothing up there but 2 furnaces and insulation. But I don't want people going up there. So now have to find a place for my husband to access the key when he wants to go up there. It is a skeleton type key that I had tied a ribbon and tassle on..
Remember my story on the other forum about how a neighboring B&B had some teenagers get into an attic door and one fell through the ceiling? Fortunately, the kid landed on the bed in the room and was uninjured. Idle minds and all.........

I had kept the key in the lock. It was locked to just keep the door closed. Nothing up there but 2 furnaces and insulation. But I don't want people going up there. So now have to find a place for my husband to access the key when he wants to go up there. It is a skeleton type key that I had tied a ribbon and tassle on..
Remember my story on the other forum about how a neighboring B&B had some teenagers get into an attic door and one fell through the ceiling? Fortunately, the kid landed on the bed in the room and was uninjured. Idle minds and all.........
I thought she was hurt and the parents wanted to sue? Or did they just want to sue because their kid is an idiot? (Please explain because I told Hawley this story offline and I got it a little wrong if they didn't want to sue.)

I thought she was hurt and the parents wanted to sue? Or did they just want to sue because their kid is an idiot? (Please explain because I told Hawley this story offline and I got it a little wrong if they didn't want to sue.)
They initially did want to sue because the kid fell through the ceiling but since she was really uninjured & was where she wasn't supposed to be, they dropped it. Idiots.

=) Kk.
Bree said:
My Ohio MABB member told me that she was taking her Dad home and a car followed her from her house to her Dad's. Out jumped someone from the County Health Dept accusing her of doing catering - a no-no with her license. She told the Doofus to wait right there while she took her double-amputee Dad into the house and she would be right back.
Turns out her van was parked at the Alumni office and someone saw a woman carrying a pizza box into the office. It was not her BUT she was able to quote chapter and verse what she was allowed to do at her B & B. She then put in a call to the Health Dept head honcho and asked what this was all about. When he started to tell her the regs, she TOLD HIM "oh, you are looking at Article xxx blah, blah.." He was impressed and told her she had done her homework - Socks had reminded me that I had that info from my Aspiring class - and I had just sent it to her about a month before the incident. Even the bureaucrats are trying to trip us up - the first "official" was trying to intimidate her, period.

All of the guests tramping thru the kitchen led to a remodel of the kitchen area. It was especially bad with one group who kept going into the kitchen after being told 3 times not to.

We learned from people who did not obey our no smoking rule. No Walk in guests. Only advance registrations so that way we could really be sure they understood our rules.
The best advice I can give is what someone gave me: "Be sure you can get into your kitchen and laundry room in your P.J's without any guests seeing you."
Weird, but true. You really need your own private space where you can be you and not worry what guests will see.

We learned from people who did not obey our no smoking rule. No Walk in guests. Only advance registrations so that way we could really be sure they understood our rules.
The best advice I can give is what someone gave me: "Be sure you can get into your kitchen and laundry room in your P.J's without any guests seeing you."
Weird, but true. You really need your own private space where you can be you and not worry what guests will see..
You have no idea how happy I am that I can do just that...except the laundry, can't get there without the guests seeing me. But I can make a hot cocoa at midnight, no problem!

Back