Bedbugs again?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just had guests who were totally bedbug-phobic. One had a friend who 'brought them home from a very nice, 5 star hotel'. Friend ended up having to throw out all of her household furnishings and clothes because they didn't know what they had until the house was infested.
So, these guests stripped the bed and grilled us on how we are keeping them at bay. They also wanted to know what we did when traveling. Good laugh. We haven't been anywhere in years!
However, whenever I see guest luggage on the bed, I move it off the bed. And that bed gets totally stripped when they leave and everything goes into the dryer on high heat.
Yesterday, we moved all the furniture in every room and vacuumed like crazy.
Next week it will be vacuuming the beds and stripping and washing all the bedskirts. Flipping mattresses at the same time.

Just had guests who were totally bedbug-phobic. One had a friend who 'brought them home from a very nice, 5 star hotel'. Friend ended up having to throw out all of her household furnishings and clothes because they didn't know what they had until the house was infested.
So, these guests stripped the bed and grilled us on how we are keeping them at bay. They also wanted to know what we did when traveling. Good laugh. We haven't been anywhere in years!
However, whenever I see guest luggage on the bed, I move it off the bed. And that bed gets totally stripped when they leave and everything goes into the dryer on high heat.
Next week it will be vacuuming the beds and stripping and washing all the bedskirts. Flipping mattresses at the same time..
Had a whole discussion on bedbugs at the state association conference too. Here is what I learned!
1. There are box spring and mattress protectors (go around the whole thing - not just a fitted item) keeps the bugs that are in in and the ones that are out out!
2. There are bed bug sniffing dogs (who knew?)
3. Bedbugs can survive a year without sucking anyones blood. Great!

Next week it will be vacuuming the beds and stripping and washing all the bedskirts. Flipping mattresses at the same time..
Had a whole discussion on bedbugs at the state association conference too. Here is what I learned!
1. There are box spring and mattress protectors (go around the whole thing - not just a fitted item) keeps the bugs that are in in and the ones that are out out!
suellen222 said:
And if they didn't tell you bed bugs don't just live in beds, they can live anywhere. So wrapping the box spring will not prevent them, if you have them they live in any upholstery like chairs, curtains, etc. Even a seat in a movie theater or airplane.

suellen222 said:
And if they didn't tell you bed bugs don't just live in beds, they can live anywhere. So wrapping the box spring will not prevent them, if you have them they live in any upholstery like chairs, curtains, etc. Even a seat in a movie theater or airplane.
Yep, they are everywhere and anywhere people put them!

Back