Before MS forces me to switch to the new Google OS, please help!

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morticia

Reaction score
MS indexer will not turn off. I have STOPPED it from starting in the startup menu, I have STOPPED it from indexing anything on the C drive, I have removed it from Windows Components and yet, like a zombie, everyday it starts up and indexes. I don't know where else to turn the damn thing off. This has all resurfaced because of IE 8. I do not use IE except for one program that doesn't work properly on Firefox.
Short of going back to IE 7, which I will do if the zombie program cannot be shut off, what suggestions are there for getting it to stop indexing?
Ta!

This sounds familiar. I think you had issues with indexer in the past. I guess my concern would be what is indexer indexing that is causing it to chew up your resources. Makes me wonder if the bad behavior of indexer is effect rather than cause.
Have you run a full virus scan recently with an updated anti-virus?
The indexer might be present in one of your startup files. Go to "run..." then type "msconfig" Look under the "services" and "startup" tabs to see if there is a call that starts the indexer.

This sounds familiar. I think you had issues with indexer in the past. I guess my concern would be what is indexer indexing that is causing it to chew up your resources. Makes me wonder if the bad behavior of indexer is effect rather than cause.
The indexer might be present in one of your startup files. Go to "run..." then type "msconfig" Look under the "services" and "startup" tabs to see if there is a call that starts the indexer..
Yes, I was chugging along great guns until SOMEONE had to go and download the new IE. It's been a battle ever since. IE8 won't work properly without the indexer and I don't want the indexer running all day everytime I view a new website or write a new email.

The indexer might be present in one of your startup files. Go to "run..." then type "msconfig" Look under the "services" and "startup" tabs to see if there is a call that starts the indexer..
In 'add/remove components' should the box be ticked or unticked? I've tried it both ways now and the indexer still starts. It is not in either the services or the startup tab. Am running AV right now.

In 'add/remove components' should the box be ticked or unticked? I've tried it both ways now and the indexer still starts. It is not in either the services or the startup tab. Am running AV right now.
The box should be uncecked to have it stop being used.

swirt said:
OK, I've got the box unticked, it's not in the startup menu, in the C drive properties I have unticked 'use indexer' and I did a full system scan (no problems found). I'm going to restart the computer and see what happens. But, already, IE is not happy. It starts but the toolbars are blcked out so you can't click on anything. I only need it for one app so I don't care. Oh yeah, and somewhere along the way, IE changed the default browser to itself. I hate Microsoft.

Some interesting info here..
I have no idea how it is starting. It was there again this morning. I was able to get rid of it last week but then SOMEONE had to go mess around with IE installation and it came back. Thanks for the link, will check it out.

I don't have any problems with IE8, except sometimes it takes FOREVER to change pages.
I occasionally use Google Chrome, which seems a LOT faster!
C

Back