Beware FB

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gillumhouse

Staff member
Reaction score
I was on FB and went to read a post. Suddenly the computer is blinking and screaming that an unauthorized user had used my ip address to look at ______ (cannot remember the word) date and my computer was locked out. OK, have had some scumbag takeover before and just shut off the tower. It is also saying do not attempt to shutdown or power off your computer as it could cause data loss and damage. Well powering off the tower did not fix it.
Tried several times. Finally, I powered off my modem (it kept screaming at me) and hitting the power off button made the screen go black but in secondes, the screaming was back. I finally pulled a cable off the back of the tower. Waited about a minute and plugged it back in.
Was then able to power up and it seems OK for now. (Turned modem back on after the system powered up again.) Have NOT gone back to FB to see what happens. I know which story it was and will not touch it again. It was about s guy getting turned down for prom - hell, I do not know why I even went to see what it was about. Brought up Outlook and all my e-mails are there. I was NOT in Chrome browser as I had takeovers before when in Words with Friends in Chrome. Was using Avast as browser.
Wanted to send the warning just in case as I am going to go back again to see what happens. IF it does it again (will be third time) I will warn my FB people and will be done with FB. I am NOT stupid enough to call THEIR phone number. Hate the way we can be invaded via our own equipment.

Ugg! I thought the Avast browser, along with Avast would block that type of thing.
Do a full scan from the boot to clean out anything this may have tacked on to your system.

This sort of thing can happen most anywhere on the internet, just takes a malicious person hacking into the site and planting their little surprise. I’m afraid it used to happen too often at my “day job”.
Killing the connection probably saved you. I would suggest never clicking anywhere on the pop up message, not even to close the window if this should happen to you.
In Windows press Alt/Control/Delete to bring up Task Master and use that to force a close of the browser. In iOS I’d double punch the button and swipe up to close the apps.
In either, you might want to go into browser or settings and clear the browser history/cookies.
Had some at work where I had to erase hard drives and reinstall everything, that was a pain.

Install Malwarebytes!.
I have Malwarebytes. I ran that after my computer guru reminded me that I did. I ran it - 0. I think it was in that particular FB post that I stupidly clicked on. I do NOT do those quizes etc. because I know they are datamine sites. Ssturday was prom here and it was a prom story so I clocked. Grrrr! STUPID ME!!
All appers to be well for now.

Install Malwarebytes!.
I have Malwarebytes. I ran that after my computer guru reminded me that I did. I ran it - 0. I think it was in that particular FB post that I stupidly clicked on. I do NOT do those quizes etc. because I know they are datamine sites. Ssturday was prom here and it was a prom story so I clocked. Grrrr! STUPID ME!!
gillumhouse said:
Likely Malwarebytes immediately shut it down like it should!! Good for you! And good advice for others.

Thanks for the post! Somewhat similar, I received an email today, supposedly from FB stating our FB business page was flagged for policy violations. The email had a few links to follow, of course, I didn't click on them. I did contact FB who showed me where to see the emails they have sent to us. The email I received was not on the list. A little panic for nothing. LOL

Back