Blankets

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morticia

Reaction score
How often do you replace blankets? Anyone have an average life span for a blanket? What color blanket do you find works best?

I use beige/ivory vellux blankets, been using my originals for six years without replacement. I did break down about three years ago and bought some extras, to make laundry and room flips easier on me. Now I can't tell which ones or old and which are new.
The hotels I worked at all used them...so I guess that's why I bought them. I do also have some heavy duty cotton blankets in the rooms for guests who need something heavier.

We've only been open a year so I can't really say. We also use vellux blankets and synthetic down comforters in duvets. We've only been open a year, but I think we'll probably end up replacing the duvets before the blankets and comforters.

In the winter we use down comforters with color coordinated duvets for each room. Most if not all have been replaced at least once in five years.
The other seasons, we use nice cotton woven blankets in a few rooms and quilted blankets in the others. A few of the older quilts are showing some age, so they have relegated to backup use only, but we're always on the prowl for nicer things that go with the decor.
Our approach is very simple. If it shows any age, loose threads, frayed edges or even the smallest stain that WE can notice, its retired.

My white and off white microfiber blankets have held up very well in a year and a half and I launder them often. They might not be heavy enough for your location though. I also like the down alternative "blankets" that I've gotten which I use in the cooler months. They are not on the bed for as many months but they are great too.

My white and off white microfiber blankets have held up very well in a year and a half and I launder them often. They might not be heavy enough for your location though. I also like the down alternative "blankets" that I've gotten which I use in the cooler months. They are not on the bed for as many months but they are great too..
In the winter we have the down duvets as well as the blankets & quilts. I'm just looking for something the health inspector won't grumble over (no wool, hair sticks to it) and that I like (I'm big on cotton).
Microfiber might work as they tend to dry fast and I'm always washing the blankets.

My white and off white microfiber blankets have held up very well in a year and a half and I launder them often. They might not be heavy enough for your location though. I also like the down alternative "blankets" that I've gotten which I use in the cooler months. They are not on the bed for as many months but they are great too..
In the winter we have the down duvets as well as the blankets & quilts. I'm just looking for something the health inspector won't grumble over (no wool, hair sticks to it) and that I like (I'm big on cotton).
Microfiber might work as they tend to dry fast and I'm always washing the blankets.
They do dry fast and by using white or off white, you can tell easily if something is on there. Ewwwwwwwwww.... haha! Guests have remarked on how nice and soft they are too.

They do dry fast and by using white or off white, you can tell easily if something is on there. Ewwwwwwwwww.... haha! Guests have remarked on how nice and soft they are too.
What do they feel like? (I should remember but I don't.) Do they lie flat and drape well? I really don't like whatever that material is that is like foam. Some fabrics don't feel right to me. I'm going to have to go the mall and open up some blanket packages!

What do they feel like? (I should remember but I don't.) Do they lie flat and drape well? I really don't like whatever that material is that is like foam. Some fabrics don't feel right to me. I'm going to have to go the mall and open up some blanket packages!
They're extremely soft, lie flat & drape well, don't slip around like Vellux, and don't snag like cotton. I think I got them at TJ Maxx and were reasonable. I think the brand was Berkshire Blankets. I've been really pleased with them. I leave them on the beds about 9 months of the year here and then go to the down alternative blankets which are more like a thin comforter.

They're extremely soft, lie flat & drape well, don't slip around like Vellux, and don't snag like cotton. I think I got them at TJ Maxx and were reasonable. I think the brand was Berkshire Blankets. I've been really pleased with them. I leave them on the beds about 9 months of the year here and then go to the down alternative blankets which are more like a thin comforter.
OK, I think it's the Vellux I was thinking about that is kinda bunchy and slick. I think someone left a microfiber baby blanket here and it's really nice.
So, you don't find that hair sticks to the microfiber? Maybe I'm thinking fleece. I know my fleece jacket is covered with dog hair and it just doesn't come off without a roller brush.

OK, I think it's the Vellux I was thinking about that is kinda bunchy and slick. I think someone left a microfiber baby blanket here and it's really nice.
So, you don't find that hair sticks to the microfiber? Maybe I'm thinking fleece. I know my fleece jacket is covered with dog hair and it just doesn't come off without a roller brush.
Hair will stick to anything if you have a shedder ;-) But, no I've not found the microfiber blankets to really attract hairs or anything with the guests I have here.

Back