Blogging Systems

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Besides those of us who have absolute control over our websites and actually maintain them ourselves, how else can you post events and information? Photos, updates, this n that about your inn, your area, recipes? None of that belongs on a website itself, I mean you can have pages and pages and pages of "stuff" that distract from the website and its purpose. Of course we have that too - the more pages the better - but it needs to be user friendly so guests can get what they want and more if they want it..
In my "non-innkeeper" mind, I guess I am looking at it as one more chore. The way you explain it, however, makes sense that it would be time well spent. I just didn't know if it was something that benefitted you from two different directions: getting info out there and website ranking.
Maybe I'm confused...it's been known to happen!
wink_smile.gif

penelope said:
In my "non-innkeeper" mind, I guess I am looking at it as one more chore. The way you explain it, however, makes sense that it would be time well spent. I just didn't know if it was something that benefitted you from two different directions: getting info out there and website ranking.
Maybe I'm confused...it's been known to happen!
wink_smile.gif
A good place to put events.

If you're choices are WordPress and Blogger, I think WordPress is definitely the way to go. The thing about WordPress is that it's completely hackable (and pretty easy to hack, at that) so you can make it do whatever you want to do. There are also lots of great plugins you can install very easily to make your blog more search engine-friendly and more engaging for users.
I think a blog for a B&B Web site is actually a really great addition. It gives you a chance to share information, establish your site as being authoritative in the space, and it gives you links when other people link to your content.

If you're choices are WordPress and Blogger, I think WordPress is definitely the way to go. The thing about WordPress is that it's completely hackable (and pretty easy to hack, at that) so you can make it do whatever you want to do. There are also lots of great plugins you can install very easily to make your blog more search engine-friendly and more engaging for users.
I think a blog for a B&B Web site is actually a really great addition. It gives you a chance to share information, establish your site as being authoritative in the space, and it gives you links when other people link to your content..
Lisa said:
I think a blog for a B&B Web site is actually a really great addition. It gives you a chance to share information, establish your site as being authoritative in the space, and it gives you links when other people link to your content.
Who owns wordpress?
I went with Blogger as it is owned by google so I felt there was more benefit with that. Not sure if there actually is.

I think a blog for a B&B Web site is actually a really great addition. It gives you a chance to share information, establish your site as being authoritative in the space, and it gives you links when other people link to your content..
Lisa said:
Who owns wordpress?
I went with Blogger as it is owned by google so I felt there was more benefit with that. Not sure if there actually is.
Wordpress was started by Matt Mullenwag but the whole thing is open source, which means it's totally modifiable. I run three blogs on WordPress and trust it completely.
I actually think WP is more stable than Blogger. Google can take Blogger and do whatever they want with it because it's theirs. WordPress is open source, so it's basically owned by the community and those who use it. I also tend to think people put more trust and faith in a blog that doesn't end with blogspot.com because of how many spam blogs using Blogger.
Just my two cents.

This may be a bit too much info for some, but if anyone's looking to understand more about WordPress, there's a new interview with the founder Matt Mullenweg about where it's going and what the new release will allow bloggers to do.
I came across it today and thought I'd share. :)
http://scobleizer.com/2008/12/02/the-future-of-the-blog-with-matt-mullenweg/

Blogger and Picassa are both google so if you are posting pictures it's really easy to send pictures from Picassa to the blog.
I never read blogs on web sites. They kinda annoy me. I'm just not that interested. And then if they are not kept up absolutely to date it can look bad in my opinion.

I agree, having an out-of-date blog is detrimental to your website. If it hasn't been updated in months, it's better to take it off.

Blogger and Picassa are both google so if you are posting pictures it's really easy to send pictures from Picassa to the blog.
I never read blogs on web sites. They kinda annoy me. I'm just not that interested. And then if they are not kept up absolutely to date it can look bad in my opinion..
ginocat said:
I never read blogs on web sites. They kinda annoy me. I'm just not that interested. And then if they are not kept up absolutely to date it can look bad in my opinion.
I just added a post and realized it's been over a month since I posted anything. Now I have a list of things to blog about again. But, it does take time. I don't do it in the hopes anyone will spend hours reading it, just to get some hits on topical things to do.

I agree, having an out-of-date blog is detrimental to your website. If it hasn't been updated in months, it's better to take it off..
I agree, having an out-of-date blog is detrimental to your website. If it hasn't been updated in months, it's better to take it off.
I partially disagree. If you choose topics and write posts that are not dated, a blog can sit idle for quite a while with no ill effects. On the other hand if you write posts that are all about one time only events that become out of date within a week, then an old blog can be a detriment.
I think part of the trick is to recognise your abilities. If you are more likely to blog in spurts then it is best to recognise that and to avoid topics that have a limited shelf life.

I never read blogs on web sites. They kinda annoy me. I'm just not that interested. And then if they are not kept up absolutely to date it can look bad in my opinion..
ginocat said:
I just added a post and realized it's been over a month since I posted anything. Now I have a list of things to blog about again. But, it does take time. I don't do it in the hopes anyone will spend hours reading it, just to get some hits on topical things to do.
As an inkeeper, it is not easy to keep a blog alive as our activity is getting up and down during a year.
I'm in the evaluation phase for building or not a blog and consider the regular work needed and motivation
I also getting great tips from copyblogger.com (collaboration between copybloggers and the partenariat history is worth of interest) where they give advice as how to talk about a topic but from various perspective
For me, the purpose of the blog is to bring information to your potential customers (restaurant advice, activities. cultural events, tips for new innkeeper and so on). All thoses information will contribute to be considered as the expert person in your area to get information from. And also a nice place to stay at !
Moreover, it is natural to exchange links with other blogs in other touristic areas instead of considering just basic link between websites only for google considerations.
As I saw in a previous post reference to Robert Scoble with his scobleizer.com, I just suggest to have a look to David Meerman Scott "The new rules of PR" (PR meaning public relation). The book is prefaced by Scoble. His weblog is webinknow.com. Purpose of the book is also how companies, even startup, are using blogs, wiki, forum, RSS streams, ebooks to promote their business with few invesments. Rationale is all around how providing information can boost your business (nothing new for you Swirt, isn't it )
Bruno

ginocat said:
As an inkeeper, it is not easy to keep a blog alive as our activity is getting up and down during a year.
I'm in the evaluation phase for building or not a blog and consider the regular work needed and motivation
I also getting great tips from copyblogger.com (collaboration between copybloggers and the partenariat history is worth of interest) where they give advice as how to talk about a topic but from various perspective
For me, the purpose of the blog is to bring information to your potential customers (restaurant advice, activities. cultural events, tips for new innkeeper and so on). All thoses information will contribute to be considered as the expert person in your area to get information from. And also a nice place to stay at !
Moreover, it is natural to exchange links with other blogs in other touristic areas instead of considering just basic link between websites only for google considerations.
As I saw in a previous post reference to Robert Scoble with his scobleizer.com, I just suggest to have a look to David Meerman Scott "The new rules of PR" (PR meaning public relation). The book is prefaced by Scoble. His weblog is webinknow.com. Purpose of the book is also how companies, even startup, are using blogs, wiki, forum, RSS streams, ebooks to promote their business with few invesments. Rationale is all around how providing information can boost your business (nothing new for you Swirt, isn't it )
Bruno
Keep in mind, which I usually don't, that you can write up a bunch of blogs when the mood hits and then release them into the wild when you want. If you're feeling pretty newsy one day, write up 4-5 blogs, save them in draft form (on blogspot or in your own word software) and then just publish them when you need them.
Part of the problem I am finding is now doing a monthly email newsletter, a quarterly online newsletter and the blog (plus writing here and working on my book-still) that I am all "written out".

ginocat said:
Bruno
Keep in mind, which I usually don't, that you can write up a bunch of blogs when the mood hits and then release them into the wild when you want. If you're feeling pretty newsy one day, write up 4-5 blogs, save them in draft form (on blogspot or in your own word software) and then just publish them when you need them.
Part of the problem I am finding is now doing a monthly email newsletter, a quarterly online newsletter and the blog (plus writing here and working on my book-still) that I am all "written out".
Bree said:
Are you finding that you are running out of things to write about, or are you running out of words to use?

ginocat said:
Bruno
Bree said:
Are you finding that you are running out of things to write about, or are you running out of words to use?
penelope said:
Bree said:
Running out of the energy to put it all together. I'm writing my Jan email blast in my head right now. I have the Feb one running around in my head as well. It's the idea that if I start it, I have to continue it!
Plus, I have to figure out how to create a good email list so I get interested parties only.
And I need to take my own advice and write a bunch of blogs in draft form and then post them along the way.

I agree, having an out-of-date blog is detrimental to your website. If it hasn't been updated in months, it's better to take it off..
I partially disagree. If you choose topics and write posts that are not dated, a blog can sit idle for quite a while with no ill effects. On the other hand if you write posts that are all about one time only events that become out of date within a week, then an old blog can be a detriment.
I think part of the trick is to recognise your abilities. If you are more likely to blog in spurts then it is best to recognise that and to avoid topics that have a limited shelf life.
That's what I'm trying to do...blog about things that folks can access for awhile. I was doing well on blogging fairly regularly but then we got busier. It just went down on the list, especially after sleep. haha!

ginocat said:
Bruno
Thanks for that tip some time ago. I now use the draft and write when I have time and then release them over time. Don't have any now. Need to get some written.

ginocat said:
Bruno
Bree said:
penelope said:
Bree said:
Running out of the energy to put it all together. I'm writing my Jan email blast in my head right now. I have the Feb one running around in my head as well. It's the idea that if I start it, I have to continue it!
Plus, I have to figure out how to create a good email list so I get interested parties only.
And I need to take my own advice and write a bunch of blogs in draft form and then post them along the way.
You've probably already weighed the pros and cons of this, but just in case... Have you thought about doing your monthly newsletter as a single blog post and then just emailing out the link to the post? THis accomplishes a couple of things
  • Kills two birds with one stone in terms of writing content.
  • Lets you see how many on your list are actually taking the time to click the link and go see it. (with email you can't tell who even bothered to read it)
  • Get them to your blog where they may poke around even more where they will come accross something else that might cause them to book a room.
  • Lets you lay out the photos and text without worrying about which email client is going to botch it up.

ginocat said:
Bruno
Bree said:
penelope said:
Bree said:
You've probably already weighed the pros and cons of this, but just in case... Have you thought about doing your monthly newsletter as a single blog post and then just emailing out the link to the post? THis accomplishes a couple of things
  • Lets you see how many on your list are actually taking the time to click the link and go see it. (with email you can't tell who even bothered to read it)
  • Get them to your blog where they may poke around even more where they will come accross something else that might cause them to book a room.
  • Lets you lay out the photos and text without worrying about which email client is going to botch it up.
swirt said:
I could do both for those who won't click a link in an email...short summary in the email, then click for more details.

ginocat said:
Bruno
Bree said:
penelope said:
Bree said:
That is a very good idea...It just went into my "When it's my turn, I'm going to do it this way" folder ;)

Back