Bluffton man seeks permits, license for bed-and-breakfast -- after ... - INN the news 07.14.09

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JunieBJones (JBJ)

Reaction score
Bluffton man seeks permits, license for bed-and-breakfast -- after ...
Hilton Head Island Packet - Hilton Head Island,SC,USA
By RENEE DUDLEY A bed-and-breakfast that had been operated without a business license by a Bluffton resident for about a month will remain closed until it ...
One room cottage sprinklered and handicapped?...interesting how easily they can enforce what they want to when they want to so as to prevent this. $5k later if he does it all himself. THere is no fine involved, just the cost, what is to bet he never follows through with it and just walks away from it all?
BTW for anyone who needs to sprinkler you can save a ton by using the fire services approved pvc sprinklering, it is 1/4 what traditional sprinklering would cost.

Did you realize that the VA State Fire Dept. wants legislation to pass the would require all new homes being built to have sprinkler system installed? Don't know where it is headed, but they want it badly in the code.

Did you realize that the VA State Fire Dept. wants legislation to pass the would require all new homes being built to have sprinkler system installed? Don't know where it is headed, but they want it badly in the code..
catlady said:
Did you realize that the VA State Fire Dept. wants legislation to pass the would require all new homes being built to have sprinkler system installed? Don't know where it is headed, but they want it badly in the code.
All HOMES? Who could afford that??? How the heck would that pass??
RIki

Did you realize that the VA State Fire Dept. wants legislation to pass the would require all new homes being built to have sprinkler system installed? Don't know where it is headed, but they want it badly in the code..
catlady said:
RIki
That's exactly what i thought...but..there actually seems to be some support for it. They contend it is cheap to do when you are building anyway and the prevention is worth it..
Now I don't have a clue what it would cost a homeowner building from scratch. The only things I ever heard was how expensive it was for innkeepers who would be building an inn or having to retrofit due to expansion.

catlady said:
RIki
That's exactly what i thought...but..there actually seems to be some support for it. They contend it is cheap to do when you are building anyway and the prevention is worth it..
Now I don't have a clue what it would cost a homeowner building from scratch. The only things I ever heard was how expensive it was for innkeepers who would be building an inn or having to retrofit due to expansion.
catlady said:
I don't understand how they can do it unless they are talking about the chemical type thing and that will still be expensive.If they want water sprinklers then you need to have a big source of water from which the sprinklers pull from what I understand. We don't have that kind of water around here!
Riki

catlady said:
RIki
Easily if the right legislator has a family member who specializes in sprinkler systems....
When we went to get the Fire Codes changed, the first thing the Fire Marshal said was sprinklers are not that expensive and they will pay for themselves in a few years with the reduced insurance rates. First off the insurance company said they would say thank you - period. Secondly not only was the sprinkler system more expensive than the average innkeeper could afford, with many of our inns on springs or wells, they would have to have a storage tank under pressure for the sprinklers - BIGGER dollars.
Best suggestion is to ask your local legislator about it and tell your stand on it - no way and this is why....
I recommend to all my Aspiring Classes that not only do they need to know their Legislators but the Legislators need to know them! Trust me, my Legislators KNOW me - and I think they respect my opinions, because they know me. The time to say something is before it passes so you keep it from passing.

catlady said:
RIki
catlady said:
I just don't see how that will pass with the economy the way it is. I know construction workers who have been out of work for two years now.
RIki

catlady said:
RIki
It is cheaper during new construction because there are no existing walls to have to work around. In WV it is already in effect that NEW construction B & B require sprinklers. I am not sure what all that covers under the new construction - but I can find out if anyone wants. I know the building inspector - and he is anal enough to know ALL the codes.

catlady said:
RIki
It is cheaper during new construction because there are no existing walls to have to work around. In WV it is already in effect that NEW construction B & B require sprinklers. I am not sure what all that covers under the new construction - but I can find out if anyone wants. I know the building inspector - and he is anal enough to know ALL the codes.
gillumhouse said:
Unless they have some chemical system that's cheaper I don't see how that would be true. The last time I looked a couple of years ago, we would have to have a holding tank of I don't know how many - something like a thousand or two gallons of water for sprinklers. I don't have that kind of money or water. We went through a four year drought not long ago where all the restaurants had to serve with paper plates and plastic. To force all new private homes to sprinkle is out of the question. They don't even do that in California, where we have serious forest fires.
RIki

catlady said:
We're working on getting our second wing approved. The fire sprinkler fellow who works closely with the fire dept here says our setup will probably not need to be sprinkled as the setup is not two story. It's sort of stacked into the slope so the top two rooms have a ground exit as does the lower two.
So I don't know if the situation that 5 room B&Bs are exempt still stands. My County is just about the worst in the state to deal with, and I don't know if State trumps County or not. We have been told that the County is approving things quickly as they need the money so that's what we are hoping.
As for the older innkeepers here who don't understand why we stress about dealing with the County and Health Dept we finally have some chums here who understand our situation. They bought a hugely sucessful inn that was operating here for many years and were told "don't worry about it! It's fine!"
While it is still hugely successful, when they took over the County made them bend over backwards and they had to go through a whole nightmare having to comply with a slew of things, just like we did/are.
Riki
Riki

catlady said:
RIki
gillumhouse said:
Unless they have some chemical system that's cheaper I don't see how that would be true. The last time I looked a couple of years ago, we would have to have a holding tank of I don't know how many - something like a thousand or two gallons of water for sprinklers. I don't have that kind of money or water. We went through a four year drought not long ago where all the restaurants had to serve with paper plates and plastic. To force all new private homes to sprinkle is out of the question. They don't even do that in California, where we have serious forest fires.
RIki
What is cheaper is the installation - not the unti. If they are building they are not tearing out walls that have to be patched after being knocked out or trying to discretely fit the pipes in etc. It is still an expensive proposition.

Back