Booking mistake

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DW and I have a regular review of our bookings. I open my Quickbooks and Webervations pages simultaneously and will call out to her what I have as confirmed reservations. She checks that against our desk calendar. There have been a couple of time where we have averted a disaster by doing this.

I understand the redundency of book keeping.....
Can the res. software print out res's for the week/month ?

Can the res. software print out res's for the week/month ?.
One Day said:
Yes, you can print out who is scheduled, which can be helpful if you're going on vacation. But, in season it changes daily with cancels and new bookings and added bookings and changes to bookings.
We say the rez system is the 'bible'- whatver is in there is gospel truth no matter what the paper book says. We do not take reservations unless we are entering them online as we are talking to the guest. No paper reservations unless it is a walk-in and those are entered immediately after showing the guest their room. We even do a hand-off so one person can be showing the room while the other is entering the details.

One Day said:
Yes, you can print out who is scheduled, which can be helpful if you're going on vacation. But, in season it changes daily with cancels and new bookings and added bookings and changes to bookings.
We say the rez system is the 'bible'- whatver is in there is gospel truth no matter what the paper book says. We do not take reservations unless we are entering them online as we are talking to the guest. No paper reservations unless it is a walk-in and those are entered immediately after showing the guest their room. We even do a hand-off so one person can be showing the room while the other is entering the details.
Morticia said:
One Day said:
I handle mine like Mort. The only time I have a paper copy is if I am away from the inn and someone calls. If they ask if X room is available, I say as of (time of printing) it was. If they want to book right then, and is not able to book online, it will be subject to that room still being available when I get back to my computer. Some fuss about this saying they felt the 'caller' should have first pick... I just say that online booking has made this small 2 person inn be competative in this 24/7 world.

One Day said:
Morticia said:
One Day said:
I handle mine like Mort. The only time I have a paper copy is if I am away from the inn and someone calls. If they ask if X room is available, I say as of (time of printing) it was. If they want to book right then, and is not able to book online, it will be subject to that room still being available when I get back to my computer. Some fuss about this saying they felt the 'caller' should have first pick... I just say that online booking has made this small 2 person inn be competative in this 24/7 world.
copperhead said:
...Some fuss about this saying they felt the 'caller' should have first pick...
In 2010 it's becoming quite the opposite. Since most people can book online, and that's the preferred method, they get first pick. People who, for whatever reason, are not able to be like most people, must get in line. They're taking more of your time and requiring special treatment. Why should they be the ones getting preference?

One Day said:
Morticia said:
One Day said:
copperhead said:
In 2010 it's becoming quite the opposite. Since most people can book online, and that's the preferred method, they get first pick. People who, for whatever reason, are not able to be like most people, must get in line. They're taking more of your time and requiring special treatment. Why should they be the ones getting preference?
Arkansawyer said:
They're taking more of your time and requiring special treatment. Why should they be the ones getting preference?
And that is why they feel as though they should be getting special preference. They spent the time on the phone with the innkeep, they "win". Why should a computer trump that?

I would say that **especially** in this Me, Me, world, they feel justified about the win factor.

One Day said:
Morticia said:
One Day said:
copperhead said:
Arkansawyer said:
copperhead said:
With us since they have to check that they understand the cancellation process, the computer always wins the booking. I think a lot of people insist on calling so they can claim they were not told of the cancellation policy. How can you prove it like you can with online booking?
Riki

One Day said:
Morticia said:
One Day said:
copperhead said:
Arkansawyer said:
copperhead said:
With us since they have to check that they understand the cancellation process, the computer always wins the booking. I think a lot of people insist on calling so they can claim they were not told of the cancellation policy. How can you prove it like you can with online booking?
Riki
egoodell said:
Arkansawyer said:
copperhead said:
Riki
Riki - this is what I do for bookings by phone (still by far 'the' perferred choice here) -
Once they give me all the info I tell them I will be sending an email confirmation which they MUST reply with their acceptance to the terms - I use the fact that this also lets me know that the confirmation was received and I did not make an error in the email address... And if they do not reply within 48 hours, I send one gentle reminder, if no reply I will call - once, then it is gone. Sounds like a lot of trouble but 95% will respond promptly as they are watching for the confirmation anyway...

One Day said:
Morticia said:
One Day said:
copperhead said:
Arkansawyer said:
copperhead said:
Riki
egoodell said:
Arkansawyer said:
copperhead said:
Riki
Riki - this is what I do for bookings by phone (still by far 'the' perferred choice here) -
Once they give me all the info I tell them I will be sending an email confirmation which they MUST reply with their acceptance to the terms - I use the fact that this also lets me know that the confirmation was received and I did not make an error in the email address... And if they do not reply within 48 hours, I send one gentle reminder, if no reply I will call - once, then it is gone. Sounds like a lot of trouble but 95% will respond promptly as they are watching for the confirmation anyway...
Great idea.
RIki

BTW, it all worked out because someone cancelled for tomorrow. The booking gods smiled on me.

One Day said:
Morticia said:
One Day said:
copperhead said:
Arkansawyer said:
copperhead said:
Riki
egoodell said:
Arkansawyer said:
copperhead said:
Riki
I was able to customize our confirmation form and put our cancellation policies directly on the form. I send it to each guest as a .PDF file along with directions and a list of all our other policies. They can claim laziness or illiteracy, but they can't claim that they weren't informed.

Back