Bottled Water

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Am I turning into a curmudgeon?
wink_smile.gif

I hope not.
When I put beautiful, plush terry robes in the rooms my first guest predicted they would be stolen in the first year. Not one. Not one went missing!

Am I turning into a curmudgeon?
wink_smile.gif

I hope not.
When I put beautiful, plush terry robes in the rooms my first guest predicted they would be stolen in the first year. Not one. Not one went missing!.
Once in awhile the shampoo goes. And then there are the looky-loos who drop by and have cookies. Or the friends from down the street who have breakfast with our guests.
We've never had anything important stolen.

If I were in the business now, I would not provide bottled water. I don't believe in it any longer. A total waste of plastic. We used to provide bottles of water in our guest lounge and they could help themselves. But our water is better than anything bottled. If you have a cooler of water available, they will help themselves. If you can't lift heavy things any longer....then don't do it. You come first.

I stopped putting bottled water in the B&B rooms 2 years ago and replaced them with a carafe of filtered water and 2 glasses. The response from my guests has been only positive. There's a lot of negative press about the waste that those plastic bottles create.

Not to sound too mercenary, but we have a lot of cyclists, hikers, etc. staying with us in the warm weather months.
We have our water cooler, and if they want a water bottle we sell very nice ones in our gift shop.
wink_smile.gif

We put two bottles (complimentary) in each room with this note:
We are fortunate to have excellent quality tap water with no need for chlorine or other added chemicals. Nonetheless, we are pleased to provide two initial bottles of spring water as an extra courtesy to our traveling guests who prefer bottled water. Please either refill the bottles with tap water to take on your adventures or set the empties aside so that we can recycle the plastic. Enjoy!
It eliminated requests for additional water, does not burden us with buying more than we need, and makes the point about quality of water and waste . Feel free to borrow it if you think it would work for you.
shades_smile.gif
Perfectly worded
❤️

We were fortunate - we never lost water but were conserving - told last night's guests no showers. He even asked if it was OK to shave this morning and was told yes.
Water is starting to flow to the areas that had none since Sunday and they are on Boil Advisory. Because we were never without - I am NOT under boil advisory. Never thought I would be happy to be able to wash dishes!

We have a pitcher of water and an ice bucket on the desk by the stairs. It is easy for us and the guests love it.

You could do away with the bottles in the rooms, since you already have drinking glasses, but still have bottled water available "to go" for sale for anyone who asks for it (the key being that they would have to ask for it, it's not just available for them to take).
Alternatively, maybe you could sell empty-refillable bottles, for those who forgot to bring their own.....
We have a large water dispenser in the breakfast room. Maybe that is enough. Of course it's tap water, but you don't have to tell them that.
TheBeachHouse said:
We have a large water dispenser in the breakfast room. Maybe that is enough. Of course it's tap water, but you don't have to tell them that.
Same situation for me :D

The decision (for the moment). I ordered some of those glass bottles. I will put a note with them saying bottled water is in the fridge for $1. I like the glass because we can clean them in the dish washer, no worries about plastic BPA, etc.
Hey, if Coke can sell the city water in bottles... people can drink the city water.
Now, should I offer the glass bottles for sale as well?

Back